• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Sandy seemed a nice guy but praise the fucking loooooord.

As outsider, I cannot link any of the aspects of Elite's game design I dislike to him, but I nevertheless hope that we're going to see their game design paradigms move towards a good game design and less reliance on RnG and less caving in to the screaming crowd of immersionists.

Still, he (all people from Frontier, really), seem to be very likable folks in their livestreams, so I hope he'll do well in whatever position he's moving into.

Something else, since we're all spread across different platforms and some even play the game on two different platforms with corresponding separate accounts:

Please implement cross play and cross progression for PC and console clients.

Last edited:

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
While Sandro is a nice guy and enthusiastic about his work, he is generally believed to be the main reason why so many of Elite's features and mechanics seem segregated from each other.

Haze is the game he was lead designer of before Elite, and it suffers many similar issues that plague it. Haze was often criticized as having some genuinely great concepts but poorly implemented, with gameplay elements that would have played much better if only they had been integrated more and played less as individual "tacked on" features.

Sound familiar?

It will be interesting to see when this new mystery IP of Frontier's comes out, which is very likely where Sandro is assigned now, suffers the same design style as well.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
3.6G landing did NOT go well. Barely 100ly out into the black and I'm turning back around.

So how exactly do you use this auto-repair thing? It says I don't have enough materials. Do you have to collect them with an SRV? What'll an SRV do to a Diamondback's jump range?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What you need to do is put the module you want to repair into "Repair" status, and the AFM will do its thing automatically as long as it's online. When it's talking about materials, that's how you refill it when it's depleted. Materials for the AFM are pretty basic, if I recall, and shouldn't take long to collect.

I'm a bit curious what the SRV adds myself. I haven't really gone out of my way to Engineer my ship to the extreme (grade 5 FSD, but that's it, and I haven't rerolled it a hundred times looking for that one mega-roll), but I do see people getting some pretty ridiculous jump distances compared to what I've got.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Sandro Sammarco is no longer lead designer for Elite Dangerous at Frontier. The game credits for both live and beta now have Laurence Oldham in the job now.
Good. A shake up was needed. Nothing against him personally. He seemed decent enough but having a fresh pair of eyes as they say is a good thing.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see FD's (hopefully old/past) mistakes being repeated with Jurassic World: Evolution, a game I really want to love.

They recently released their first DLC. It's a decent amount of content (two new island maps, 4-5 dinos, new DNA mutations, etc.) and the team has shown that they listen to the community. However, like with Elite, they're just throwing more content at systems that are superficial and, at a deep level, unsatisfying to play.

FD looks like they're finally getting the ship back on course with the next update, but I have much less hope for JW:E.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain how to get Elite Dangerous working properly in SteamVR? I've never had more difficulty launching a game or configuring the controls. Game wouldn't launch with Touch controls only, so I plug in my Xbox One controller, only to get unresponsive sticks and D-pad. I check the box that allows Xbox one controllers, but the minute I exit the menu the controls stop working again.

Eventually I manage to launch the game but get stumped again by the controller configuration. Thrust is mapped to the right stick and pitch/roll to the left, the complete opposite to my avatar. Try as I might to switch sticks via settings, it always reverts back to default. All I've been able to so far is marvel at the cockpit!

Edit: launching through Oculus worked without any issues. Ended up using touch controllers too. Quite like the implementation once you get used to the shortcut buttons

Last edited:

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
kind of out of the loop, but have we decided to create an ERA squad group for the new chapter? I still gotta read up on how that is going to work. I'm assuming its like a clan system?

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
kind of out of the loop, but have we decided to create an ERA squad group for the new chapter? I still gotta read up on how that is going to work. I'm assuming its like a clan system?

Not sure if it's been decided per se, but it'd have its charme.

I haven't followed the squadron changes as well, but it seems to be the quasi clan/org system. Only four years after they released a quasi-MMO-ish game, amidst idio... sorry, fans in their forums arguing vehemently that errr... playing together in a player organization and having formal and visible player organization representation is not part of the Elite legacy...

Frontier realizes that player organizations in a pure (M)MO are not an optional thing. Yay for that!

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure it is the last chapter of Beyond.
IIRC, they're planning to change the content delivery though. Something about mix of updates and paid DLC, i think? Not sure.
Cool, thanks for the reply. I am a little out of the loop. I miss the early days of Elite VR. Still the best VR experience, hands down.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Frontieruk are you gonna add a sweet banner image to this OT?

Also, I'm all for getting a new faction in-game. I'll be traveling when the patch drops but I plan to dive back in. Don't really know of a solid system to pick out now, though.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been this excited about an update since 2.0. Gonna hook up the vr and hotas during the holidays and just explore the shit out of the universe.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't fire up the beta at all, which I'm regetting now - the unfamiliarity with the new exploration stuff presents a whole new learning curve... not the least of which is my custom binds file not inheriting any FSS/DSS mappings.

The 'tutorial'/introduction that fired up when I first worked out how to enter FSS mode was littered with 'not bound' references, so those of us with custom controller bindings are left to populate all of this manually, I suppose (I can't even find a 'default' .binds to copy these entries from).

It's all still rather unfriendly in a typically ED-ish way. Off to reddit to read up on all of this, I guess!

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Got all my keymapping done, getting used to the new exploration system, which I'm finding efficient, especially if there's a lot of similar planets, or a far-away secondary system. I've learned you want to honk every system you go to, even if you scanned everything prior to Chapter Four, you'll get free money out of it.

Noticed a few glitches.

1. Accessing the Codex using hotkeys while in DSS mode will bring it up every time you exit DSS until you quit and re-enter the game.
2. My controls became unresponsive upon entering a new system. I was able to escape by quitting and re-entering, which re-enabled controls. This only happened once.
3. Due to issues with a couple of planets, I was able to zoom in infinitely without actually scanning the planet. I had to scan other nearby planets to fix it.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
There are new pilot training videos by Frontier for the new exploration and mining mechanics:

NotLocke

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Mamba and I am loving it so far. Been doing pirate Lord bounty missions. This is the build I'm using. The hardpoints are great but I'm not settled on the shield and armor set up yet, it's so fast. Coriolis Mambo Cool
Edit- The class 2 guardian hull reinforcement should be a guardian module reinforcement.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played in ages but wanted to check out the exploration update and for the most part I like it. Tired of fiddling with key bindings. Also, don't be like me and absentmindedly map night vision to the thruster + some other button and end up smacking your ship's bum on a planet's surface.

Oh and I had a ton of freezes I had to tab away to get fixed which is not ideal near atmospheres.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit.... Are random freezes part of the server issues, or is it just that buggy right now? I'm in the middle of setting a hundred and one new key binds and the damn thing locks up on me. All those new key binds just fucking gone. Fuck.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit.... Are random freezes part of the server issues, or is it just that buggy right now? I'm in the middle of setting a hundred and one new key binds and the damn thing locks up on me. All those new key binds just fucking gone. Fuck.

Happened to me loads. I might check the official forums to see if it's widespread.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me loads. I might check the official forums to see if it's widespread.

Everyone is getting the random freezes, on all three platforms. There are a few support threads about it and QA is aware of it. Some people are getting a lot of them, I'm lucky and only getting like one every few hours.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten to play a bit and am enjoying it so far. Haven't tried mining, only exploring in the Phantom. Discovery is definitely more engaging and interesting. It's still tedious, but in a way that feels somewhat true to being a "sim". Being able to see if there are any locations of interest on a planet is huge, too.

At one point I dropped into a battle around a megaship. Chose to defend it. I ran the same "event" this morning, all in all playing as a defender for maybe 30 minutes and earned an easy 1.5m in combat bonds. Wasn't even really taking any ships head on, either.

Also, not sure when this was introduced because I haven't played in a while, but I really like the addition of the spoken news updates you can play as you fly. Looks like you can set up a playlist, too.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten to play a bit and am enjoying it so far. Haven't tried mining, only exploring in the Phantom. Discovery is definitely more engaging and interesting. It's still tedious, but in a way that feels somewhat true to being a "sim". Being able to see if there are any locations of interest on a planet is huge, too.

At one point I dropped into a battle around a megaship. Chose to defend it. I ran the same "event" this morning, all in all playing as a defender for maybe 30 minutes and earned an easy 1.5m in combat bonds. Wasn't even really taking any ships head on, either.

Also, not sure when this was introduced because I haven't played in a while, but I really like the addition of the spoken news updates you can play as you fly. Looks like you can set up a playlist, too.

I playlisted the whole knowledge base of the codex. It's a nice refresher or for new players, a primer. Surprised they included the bit about Raxxla. If they don't do anything with that now it will look like a huge red herring.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I playlisted the whole knowledge base of the codex. It's a nice refresher or for new players, a primer. Surprised they included the bit about Raxxla. If they don't do anything with that now it will look like a huge red herring.
Nice! I'll try that out as I give exploring another go.

Are Squadrons cross platform? I'm more than willing to shell out the 10m, but not sure how many people still play. I mostly play on my X now.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My devotion to playing depends on if they get a handle on the freezes. I had too many close calls and I don't want to have to submit a ticket for my rebuy cost over this.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Any good binding setup for all the FSS stuff on Joystick? I'm on the X52 here. Have had the same key binding for the last two years and now I jumped back after a long time and got the alerts that I have a bunch of things not bind to keys.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Any good binding setup for all the FSS stuff on Joystick? I'm on the X52 here. Have had the same key binding for the last two years and now I jumped back after a long time and got the alerts that I have a bunch of things not bind to keys.
I've got mine set to yaw/pitch like flight controls, with primary/secondary fire to zoom in and out on sources. Signal tuning is on the throttle using my lateral thrust controls. Different stick, but the concepts will probably work on the X52.

GroundCombo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got mine set to yaw/pitch like flight controls, with primary/secondary fire to zoom in and out on sources. Signal tuning is on the throttle using my lateral thrust controls. Different stick, but the concepts will probably work on the X52.

I'm using the same setup with Hotas X. Scanning is pretty smooth and fast once you get used to it. The downside is that now I don't want to jump before scanning all signals, so it looks like my trip back from Colonia is going to take significantly longer than expected (already found one earth-like and a waterworld though). Nice to get back to Elite after a break though - I'm actually looking forward to buying some new ships, trying the new mining and going for more exploration trips.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The downside is that now I don't want to jump before scanning all signals, so it looks like my trip back from Colonia is going to take significantly longer than expected...
Yeah, I've found myself in the same boat. Getting every last planet doesn't take as long as it used to.

Anyone know how common surface features are on landable planets? I've probed a few random high metal content worlds and such, but nothing ever comes up. I've also been scanning any water/ammonia/earth worlds, I assume the detailed scan gives you more money for those, but I'm not sure how much. I'm a few thousand light years out now, and I'm not sure if I want to turn back or just keep going and stay out for another year or so like I did last time.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using the same setup with Hotas X. Scanning is pretty smooth and fast once you get used to it. The downside is that now I don't want to jump before scanning all signals, so it looks like my trip back from Colonia is going to take significantly longer than expected (already found one earth-like and a waterworld though). Nice to get back to Elite after a break though - I'm actually looking forward to buying some new ships, trying the new mining and going for more exploration trips.
At least you can see the type of worlds present immediately after doing the discovery scan. Easy to see if there's anything worth taking the time to scan.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've found myself in the same boat. Getting every last planet doesn't take as long as it used to.

Anyone know how common surface features are on landable planets? I've probed a few random high metal content worlds and such, but nothing ever comes up. I've also been scanning any water/ammonia/earth worlds, I assume the detailed scan gives you more money for those, but I'm not sure how much. I'm a few thousand light years out now, and I'm not sure if I want to turn back or just keep going and stay out for another year or so like I did last time.

The volcanic worlds usually have multiple, but it doesn't show up in the scan screens or zooming in on the planet in the system map, you have to get close to the planet (I think you have to map it with probes to get them to show but I'm not sure) and then they all pop up. My Asp is currently near the edge of a large field of volcanic structures.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I figured it out when I actually came across some. They actually show up on the distant scan in the FSS, in the upper right corner under Locations, it'll say like "Geological: 5" or something to tell you how many there are. But you have to detail-scan the planet directly to get their exact position to fly down to them.

I can't tell if there's any kind of credit or discovery goal for those. Nothing seems to pop up anywhere, and you can't do anything on the surface except go down and look at them, you can't scan them or anything (at least not for the geological ones). I haven't found anything out in space yet, I gather those are pretty rare. I'd rather stumble across one myself rather than just looking in the codec or online to go see ones that someone else has already found.

I did find an Earth-Like using the FSS this morning, though. Kind of neat seeing that signal pop up.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm criss crossing the map going to and from the earthlikes I discovered to map each one. It's an enjoyable experience so far.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm criss crossing the map going to and from the earthlikes I discovered to map each one. It's an enjoyable experience so far.
Oh I need to do this too, I did not thought of that, I have 30 ELW named after me across the galaxy, it will take some time though.

I just finished engineering my Krait Phantom for exploration, it jumps up to 66 ly, not as good as my Anaconda (74 ly) but much more maneuverable, and I wanted to take it out before the Distant World 2 expedition starting January 13th.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been in my Asp so long, but it looks like the Krait Phantom might beat it in terms of jump range?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017