• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
According to this document it does : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15iW5-Gnni7PELS5DSoVM4prIqEA9Cnz8do8w7nIbvCU

I just mapped my first ELW that I discovered a while ago, 29 to go (with new ones hopefully).

Scanning systems is so quick now, only mapping takes much more time than a full system scan pre-3.3.

Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to trying it out. Yeah I much prefer the new scanning method. It's an enjoyable minigame that breaks up the tedium of exploration.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, so I bought a Phantom for my exploration/passenger ship and a Mk.II for my mining ship.

Mining is fun, if not a little frustrating. I'm having trouble visually identifying "mother lode" rocks. They're supposed to be strong, bright yellow all around. I've found a few but had a lot of "hmmm that kinda looks bright yellow" only to end up finding it contains trash minerals.

I have found a FEW, which is genuinely exciting. Mining does feel a lot better now, in terms of the loop.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Phantom feels pretty sluggish in supercruise, not sure I'm feeling it just yet. I do like how the cockpit makes me feel like I'm playing Wing Commander.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I just started playing after leaving the game for a long while. Did they explain why all of the graphics settings got ripped out of the game and got replaced with VR medium, high and ultra? And a custom setting that doesn't really do anything?

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a good, recent beginners guide? As in i picked this up for 15bux off steam and after getting my controls set up i'm not sure what to do other than "i want an anaconda"

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a good, recent beginners guide? As in i picked this up for 15bux off steam and after getting my controls set up i'm not sure what to do other than "i want an anaconda"

I can't really think of a good really recent guide but a lot of the old videos still apply for those starting out. I highly recommend Obsidian Ant on youtube. He not only has older beginner's guides but when new features get released he usually does an easy to follow break down of those features in his videos.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Finding loads of water worlds on my way out to my Earth-likes out near the Formadine Rift. One system had 4 water worlds!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Mother of fuck is anyone else having extensive server disconnections?

I have had 4 in the last 3 hours and its not coming from my end.

EDIT: Oh I'm fucking sorry. Make that 5.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it's been a big issue for PS4 players, but it was supposed to be fixed by now. What platform are you guys on?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finding loads of water worlds on my way out to my Earth-likes out near the Formadine Rift. One system had 4 water worlds!
Be sure to map them, each Earth-like gives 4-6 Millions with the efficiency bonus, Water worlds give 2-4 M and High-Metal content worlds give 1-2 M when terraformable. Amonia Worlds give 2 M when not terraformable (did not map a terraformable yet).

Found my 31st Earth-like when going to map 7 of my ELWs, went to an asteroid base and sold all my data for more than 210 Millions, in less than 200 jumps, that's huge. Some systems worth 15 M with just a few Water worlds (not even all terraformable.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
After a long hiatus from the game, I am finally back in again in VR. I forget how amazing this game is in VR, a killer app even?

It is so much better now, the mining has been a lot of fun, I have been playing in wings for the first time and started making some serious money.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have the game on PS4 (Commander Edition) and given the issues, was wondering if Xbox one x version, currently on sale, is worth the extra expense?

Thank you.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I've been playing this for the past few weeks and only recently came across this thread so... hello.

Anyway, I've come across two stations that are only 950ls apart and always have delivery missions to eachother that are worth millions, is that normal?

*glances at 200mil pile of cash grinded over an afternoon*

Just curious.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for the past few weeks and only recently came across this thread so... hello.

Anyway, I've come across two stations that are only 950ls apart and always have delivery missions to eachother that are worth millions, is that normal?

*glances at 200mil pile of cash grinded over an afternoon*

Just curious.

These kinds of opportunities pop up every now and then, but will likely get patched out at some point. If you don't mind sharing the systems/stations that would be cool.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
These kinds of opportunities pop up every now and then, but will likely get patched out at some point. If you don't mind sharing the systems/stations that would be cool.
Sure.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Scratch that, checking in-game right now and the gold rush is over.
Oh well, easy come, easy go.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like combat related missions are pointless? After two weeks of being a space trucker I decided to do some combat and mission payouts are rather poor and sometimes the repair bill is bigger than the payout (though there is always the distinct possibility that I'm just shit).

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You kids have it so easy. Back in my day we had to haul holds full of space poop to get our payday! My Conda still smells!

NotLocke

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is still looking for a gold rush mining void opals, low temp diamonds, Grandidierite and Alexandrite at pristine ice rings using seismic charges still works. Void opals sell for 1.6 million a unit at high demand stations, grandiderite goes for 800,000, low temp diamonds go for 700,000, and Alexandrite is 500,000. Using a cutter I make about 100-150 million every two hours depending on RNG.

NotLocke

Oct 27, 2017
I've had really good luck getting void opals in the Honoto system at the first blue gas giant that has one haz res.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Void Opal thing has funded my final 8 ships for my complete, one of everything fleet. And ticked off Trade Elite to boot.

Annie, Cutter, 'vette, Beluga, Alliance Chieftain/Challenger/Crusader and Type 10 all in the last week thanks to Opals.

Now I gotta fit out and engineer 38 ships....

Last edited:

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here taking part in Distant Worlds II??

I've been engineering my ASP Explorer to get ready for the trip.

Yep! Currently in a mad scramble to get some last-minute engineering done (including unlocking some engineers) to get my shiny new Krait Phantom ready for the trip. At least hunting for High Grade Emissions is less of a chore than it used to be...

Still a bit conflicted about my decision to not take my trusty AspX... but I couldn't resist the lure of that extra optional internal slot.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought long and hard about it but decided i couldn't commit the time to it. It's an awful long time to set aside everything else
That it is but they are going at a slower pace this time around (giving people more time) and the last one was pre-engineers so with the higher jump ranges you can get these days it should take as much time as it use to.

Yep! Currently in a mad scramble to get some last-minute engineering done (including unlocking some engineers) to get my shiny new Krait Phantom ready for the trip. At least hunting for High Grade Emissions is less of a chore than it used to be...

Still a bit conflicted about my decision to not take my trusty AspX... but I couldn't resist the lure of that extra optional internal slot.
I've almost finished kitting out my ASP Explorer but yeah, the Krait Phantom could do basically the same job and have one extra size 5 slot. I just don't have the time to engineer one up though. A lot of it I might be able to transfer over from my ASP but I dunno, getting a bit close.
If I had a second account, I'd be doing what Obsidian Ant is doing and outfitting a ship for it. But I don't want to spend months doing it on my only account.
Yeah, I know the feeling. Really wish they'd let you have two commanders per game instead of having to buy a 2nd copy and make a second Frontier account.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Got back into this recently on a whim (winter is for scifi games). Grabbed the Horizons expansion on sale and have been poking at it super casually. This Void Opal stuff is bonkers -- I reconfigured my little Cobra yesterday and did two full mining runs near the starting area, and I'm already up 40 million space bucks. That's more than I have ever made before.

Part of me wants to grab that Asp Explorer and go wandering into the void, but I feel like I should hit this new mining rush for all it's worth before it gets nerfed. Shit's crazy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Got back into this recently on a whim (winter is for scifi games). Grabbed the Horizons expansion on sale and have been poking at it super casually. This Void Opal stuff is bonkers -- I reconfigured my little Cobra yesterday and did two full mining runs near the starting area, and I'm already up 40 million space bucks. That's more than I have ever made before.

Part of me wants to grab that Asp Explorer and go wandering into the void, but I feel like I should hit this new mining rush for all it's worth before it gets nerfed. Shit's crazy.
They've stated that the Void Opal prices are not going to be changed because it's now part of the background simulation and expected behavior.

The game now has legit "Gold rushes" that will come and go over time as the BGS dictates.

This time it's Void Opals, could be something else next time.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else here taking part in Distant Worlds II??

I've been engineering my ASP Explorer to get ready for the trip.
I'm taking part too, I'll be using my new Krait Phantom (66 ly jump range), I could use my Anaconda (74 ly) but I like the Phantom and I already went to Beagle Point with my Anaconda last year.

I'm on my way back to the Bubble (docked in an asteroid station), went mapping some of my Earth Like Worlds, mapped many other new discoveries and I already made more than 540 Millions credits in 20K ly and about 400 jumps).
Mapping pays very well. 5K ly left until the Bubble, I guess I'll make around 50 M more.

That expedition will make some Billionaires if they take time to map interesting planets.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
They've stated that the Void Opal prices are not going to be changed because it's now part of the background simulation and expected behavior.

The game now has legit "Gold rushes" that will come and go over time as the BGS dictates.

This time it's Void Opals, could be something else next time.
That's good to hear. Will get in on some more of it over the weekend for sure :D

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to use my Phantom to participate, but it would be my first time. I wanted to get a little more work in on the Phantom, namely my FSD (I'm way behind on engineers, esp. on Xbox), so hopefully I can make it.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I last minute decided to swap from the ASP Explorer (which I used for Distant Worlds I) to a Krait Phantom for the extra jump range and the extra size 5 slot.

A lot of my engineered modules could be swapped over so I didn't actually have to engineer too much extra to get the Phantom up to par. Still need to get the Guardians FSD booster though. Going to do that tmrw.

This planet was so orange that I couldn't see my HUD properly when trying to land...
0E1993B9FA3B1B6A170E521964BC950019BD0D6D

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha yeah, I just found a spot and am gonna spend some time making my mini fortune. Maybe sit on some to give to a friend, if they log on before the rush ends.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think you did.

Edit: details, Anton!

Deciat 7 B ring is my spot right now (going off memory, but think that's it). I actually found it by accident, I think I was just in a resource site, scanning high wakes, when I saw it. On X1 FWIW. The first time I dropped in, I didn't realize but there was a big cloud of dust, indicating someone had already blasted a mother lode. Stuck around and snooped a bit, but didn't find any void opals. Jumped into SC then popped back in and finally found one.

Got low temp diamonds here too.

How much ore do y'all usually refine from a mother lode rock? I got 15t of void opals from mine, not sure what else.

About to hop back in and see what else I can find, but I understand that they can eventually run "dry" after enough CMDRs come by.

EDIT: 36 million off of 23t of void opals. The gold rush is real.

Is Wing mining in decent shape? What about multicrew payouts? Might have a buddy hop on with me so I can help get him some money.

Last edited:

NotLocke

Oct 27, 2017
I've been mining for about a week and made a little over a billion mining the Honoto 1 ring. I'm probably going to stop once I have 3 billion, but we'll see. It's starting to feel like a job.
145CC18C53E170AF120638BF644094C0F4A21A47

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose there's plenty to find if you're willing to travel. I'm out in the black right now, a few thousand light years out, and most rings I've scanned are chock full of void opals and low temperature diamonds.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I think my little ring near the old starting area is starting to run out on opals. Earlier in the day I gathered a nice haul in about an hour. Now I'm an hour in to a new session and all I've found are 2 bromelite rocks.

Can't complain too much though. I started back up the other day with a Cobra and 8M in the bank. Ran myself down to about 2M equipping it for mining. Now I have a nicely kitted out Asp Explorer and 328M. :D

Edit: Just found an opal rock like 90 seconds after this post. awww yeah, gimme those space bucks

Also, can I just say this mining system is really cool? Zooming around a spinning rock to plant explosives before it blows up in your face is a good time. And the effect when the charges go off is awesome.

Last edited: