• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Man the engineer grinding is really tiresome especially when you want to try to catch up with DW2, I'm almost done maxing out lvl4 of the FSD jump range but still have to engineer other modules and unlock other engineers (I have like 3 or 4).

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the engineer grinding is really tiresome especially when you want to try to catch up with DW2, I'm almost done maxing out lvl4 of the FSD jump range but still have to engineer other modules and unlock other engineers (I have like 3 or 4).
It didn't take me very long, but I outfitted my Krait Mk II for just about everything and kinda did everything to get a wide variety of ANYTHING I might need to craft. Killed a wanted criminal? Glad I have collection limpets to quickly scoop up everything they left behind. Scan all those wakes (esp high wakes) anytime you see them. Drop into signal sources to see what's around.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I made it to Shapley 1. That's a pretty star. On my way to The View next but I don't know if I want to risk landing, lol.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doh, I meant the pulse wave analyzer.
It's not there, but as many commanders ask for it, it may be added (shipyard was added yesterday).
I had one in my stored modules so I could transfer it (15h of wait but it's there now).

And as the shipyard is now enabled I transferred a combat ship to do the combat CG too, cost 50M but exploration pays so much that I don't care about money anymore.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Even without the PWA I stumbled upon a core of musgravite, so I got to play around with the new mining tools. Sold it for 6 million back at the station. It definitely breaks up the tedium.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played in like a year, but I wanted to get back into it. I'm out in Sothis atm, I was grinding rep for a Corvette last time I played. Everything still seems the same, it's like riding a bike, I can't believe I still remember all my keybindings and what to do.

Then I played some CQC and I see they haven't done anything to it at all (dead game mode lol). I still want to get to 50 (I'm 42 atm), so I can go to CD-43 11917. I've gotten this far, I'm not stopping, I don't care how underwhelming it is.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Made my first official foray into exploring today. Retooled my Asp from its mining setup and just kinda learned as I went (and did a lot of key binding). That long-range scanner + telescope thing is pretty neat. Found a few cool worlds, including a couple water and Earth-like worlds. Made my first landing on a tiny 0.1G world and had fun bouncing around in the little rover. Then I found a 0.97G martian-red moon with a patch of geysers and collected a bunch of materials.

Is there a good rule of thumb for how much gravity a given ship can safely handle? Vertical thrust was noticeably more sluggish on the 0.97G, but the actual descent was just as easy as the shrimpy 0.1G rock. Similarly, is there a limit to how much the rover can withstand?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also, how is the VR? I have an Oculus now and it seems interesting. However, it seems like you'd have to map a lot of your stuff to your flight stick. I only have the cheapo Thrustmaster T-Flight, so I don't have that many buttons and the majority of my stuff is on my keyboard. It seems like it would be a pain to relearn everything on my flight stick.

Edit: I tried it out, but it's a pain in the ass with my current set up. I don't have enough usb ports, so I have to unplug my mouse and having to set everything up each time is argh! It was pretty fun in CQC because I don't use my keyboard for anything besides turning off/on flight assist. The main game, however, was too impractical for me. Trying to feel my way around the keyboard wasn't fun. I could just go out and buy a USB hub, however, I really don't feel like remapping everything to my HOTAS and learning from scratch again.

Last edited:

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made my first official foray into exploring today. Retooled my Asp from its mining setup and just kinda learned as I went (and did a lot of key binding). That long-range scanner + telescope thing is pretty neat. Found a few cool worlds, including a couple water and Earth-like worlds. Made my first landing on a tiny 0.1G world and had fun bouncing around in the little rover. Then I found a 0.97G martian-red moon with a patch of geysers and collected a bunch of materials.

Is there a good rule of thumb for how much gravity a given ship can safely handle? Vertical thrust was noticeably more sluggish on the 0.97G, but the actual descent was just as easy as the shrimpy 0.1G rock. Similarly, is there a limit to how much the rover can withstand?

3.3 is challenging/dangerous but doable.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man that's hilarious. And the scenery there is bonkers. I'll have to add The View to the to-do list.

Speaking of exploration stuff, I haven't really done much reading yet since coming back to the game, but I gather that the Krait Phantom is a popular exploration platform now too? Maybe a bit of an upgrade over the old Asp Explorer? What do you folks dig for wandering the black these days?

And for exploration ship configuration, is there any real point in taking weapons if you're going on long excursions far from home? I haven't seen a soul in like 600ly. Part of me feels like I should keep the guns just in case, but part of me is tempted to dump them for better jump performance.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I chickened out of going to The View, and I'm a fairly experienced pilot.

I've delivered 547 tons for the CG and finally cracked top 25% however briefly it ends up being. The new mining is infinitely more enjoyable. You can lose track of time doing it though.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Has any Resetera Squadron been formed, is everybody playing in their own Squadron or is everybody ignoring the feature for now? Are Squadrons bound to platforms?

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Has any Resetera Squadron been formed, is everybody playing in their own Squadron or is everybody ignoring the feature for now? Are Squadrons bound to platforms?

Yep, squadrons are platform-specific.

I hadn't dabbled with these until recently joining one of the official Distant Worlds 2 squadrons; I would've previously joined an Era squadron if we had one!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not too ashamed to admit that I am one of the pilots who was killed by The View. I was so excited after the DWE2 launch that I flew down to that beautiful waypoint super carefree, neglecting to even glance at the gravity meter, and by the time I knew I was in trouble it was too late. My Phantom slammed into the ground and exploded, LOL.

It was only 18 jumps to get back there from Pallaeni so no big deal, but it certainly woke me up!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Well the CG is about over and we have to wait until the 27th for the next waypoint to be announced. Guess I'll explore a bit.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Eagle's Landing was very foggy when I landed. I think I'll fly out in it if it's still that way later.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I bought this and wow it's as intimidating as it's interesting :) I feel like I've been transported back to 486 times. Time to read through this thread I guess.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I made it to the Quantum planet and enjoyed a white dwarf and a neutron star on the way. I got in the SRV and tried to drive around the circumference of the planet back to my ship but I forgot that they lift off if you get too far away, lol.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Guardian FSD Booster *and* my Krait Phantom today. The battle for the Guardian stuff was pretty wacky. Next time I need more of those parts, I'm finding a higher-gravity world. The rock I was on had so little gravity that my little rover would go cartwheeling all over the place every time a Guardian drone lit me up.

Next step is to investigate all this engineering stuff. So many goodies to catch up on since the base game's launch. :D

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my Guardian FSD Booster *and* my Krait Phantom today. The battle for the Guardian stuff was pretty wacky. Next time I need more of those parts, I'm finding a higher-gravity world. The rock I was on had so little gravity that my little rover would go cartwheeling all over the place every time a Guardian drone lit me up.

Next step is to investigate all this engineering stuff. So many goodies to catch up on since the base game's launch. :D
Haha, this is kinda where I am, too, although I'm off on Distant Worlds 2 right now. I did get my booster right before I left, though. I'm looking forward to checking out all the Engineers once I'm back.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
The revised mining is so enjoyable now. I spent more than a few hours tonight with a friend just trekking through beautiful planet rings. The treasure hunt and cracking cycle is soo much better than before.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
For people doing the Distant World, don't sleep on Collection of Wonders. It's a pretty incredible site.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Synteini just opened up 4k+ demand for opals at 1.6m

giphy.gif

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Got my first big (medium tho) ship, a Python, and was able to A rate it last night thanks to opal mining.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hey guys I've only just recently started playing the game on the PS4. I've got a Cobra MKIII with some stuff, jump range is around 20Ly. I'm currently around 13,000Ly away from the DW2 waypoint. I would like to take part in the event but it feels like I'm too far behind to catch up. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do to try and catch up so I can take part each week?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hey guys I've only just recently started playing the game on the PS4. I've got a Cobra MKIII with some stuff, jump range is around 20Ly. I'm currently around 13,000Ly away from the DW2 waypoint. I would like to take part in the event but it feels like I'm too far behind to catch up. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do to try and catch up so I can take part each week?
Do you have an SRV in that ship because you're going to need Jumponium with that low of a jump range. Need at least 33.4LY jump to do it without boosts.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Just somehow discovered we have a community thread for Elite here... No idea how I've missed it until now.

Going to set up my PS4 Pro again and try the updates, I will need to bind the new night vision and other commands on my HOTAS or does the default config have them mapped? If I need to map them, any suggestions?

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
What's the process for starting to engineer your ships? Do you just go to an engineer and start doing fetch quests?

Oct 25, 2017
What's the process for starting to engineer your ships? Do you just go to an engineer and start doing fetch quests?

I haven't played in a good 8 months but it was usually something like this.
1. Go to any available engineer and do their intro quest / requirement so they will do stuff for you
2. Start building rep with them by buying modifications, you need to farm materials to do those modifications.
3. Once they reach enough rep they tell you about other engineers you can go to.
4. Repeat

Some engineers only reach out to you if you've done specific actions, if you go to INARA https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/
it should tell you who every engineer is, their requirements and what they offer.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything I should make sure I do while I'm at these Guardian Ancient Ruins in Skaudai? I'm scanning all the obelisk I can find.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my exploration elite, yay!

Is there anything I should make sure I do while I'm at these Guardian Ancient Ruins in Skaudai? I'm scanning all the obelisk I can find.

If you're heading to the station after, there's no reason not to load up on guardian relics. Make some good money. I'm at the rendezvous planet, though I parked at the wrong geological site, lol.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my exploration elite, yay!

If you're heading to the station after, there's no reason not to load up on guardian relics. Make some good money. I'm at the rendezvous planet, though I parked at the wrong geological site, lol.
Thanks! My exploration build has a tiny cargo hold so I won't be able to do much but good to know regardless.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some more shots. Shame they still haven't figured out how to add more than one star source in a system--it's weird seeing a star's shadow in the Wonders area.

Also found a squished gas giant that is VERY close to its star. Wasn't really sure it was really oblong when I initially scanned it, so had to see it for myself.

I gotta say, I've been really impressed with the shaders/textures for surfaces. They still aren't particularly crisp or detailed up close, but FD has really done a great job "filling in" the quality gaps, adding reflections, etc. Looks great.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
1) I've never seen a star with rings around it before. That's amazing.
2) Loving this trend of the Krait joining the ranks of the ASP for exploration.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Collection of Wonders was closer to the bubble, I'd make that my home system it's so beautiful. Slamming into the black hole every time you jump in might get annoying after a bit though. I'm really happy I've been making the trip so far though I'm still not sure of I'll keep going after Sag A.

I also wis hthe DIstant Worlds expedition thread went into more detail as to what these sites to see along the way are so I can decide if Iwant to visit them. I may head on over to Colonia after I get to the rendezvous since this is the closest we're getting and I've never been.

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For some reason TDM in CQC keeps crashing for me when it loads a map. When I JiP it's fine, but when it loads a new map it crashes. DM is fine, but you get more xp in TDM and I enjoy that more, so it's kind of annoying to get these crashes.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also wis hthe DIstant Worlds expedition thread went into more detail as to what these sites to see along the way are so I can decide if Iwant to visit them.
If you click on the system names in the thread it opens it on EDSM with a description and one or some screenshots of the system so you can know what to see.
Note : open it with left click, sometimes if you open it in a background tab the system popup does not show.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If you click on the system names in the thread it opens it on EDSM with a description and one or some screenshots of the system so you can know what to see.
Note : open it with left click, sometimes if you open it in a background tab the system popup does not show.

Oh, I had tried that but it looks like my script blocker was blocking the pop up so all I could see was the map. Thanks for the heads up.