• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I also wis hthe DIstant Worlds expedition thread went into more detail as to what these sites to see along the way are so I can decide if Iwant to visit them. I may head on over to Colonia after I get to the rendezvous since this is the closest we're getting and I've never been.
Is this a thread on the Frontier forums or here on ERA?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Getting matches like this makes me feel bad, I actually let the one guy kill me, lol. I try to quit out of these lobbies, but there aren't that many CQC players during the week. Most of the experienced guys only play the weekend.

7A5C05C6A6246111919766E2539E18AACA5B5A4C

EctoPrime

Oct 27, 2017
Also, how is the VR? I have an Oculus now and it seems interesting. However, it seems like you'd have to map a lot of your stuff to your flight stick. I only have the cheapo Thrustmaster T-Flight, so I don't have that many buttons and the majority of my stuff is on my keyboard. It seems like it would be a pain to relearn everything on my flight stick.

Edit: I tried it out, but it's a pain in the ass with my current set up. I don't have enough usb ports, so I have to unplug my mouse and having to set everything up each time is argh! It was pretty fun in CQC because I don't use my keyboard for anything besides turning off/on flight assist. The main game, however, was too impractical for me. Trying to feel my way around the keyboard wasn't fun. I could just go out and buy a USB hub, however, I really don't feel like remapping everything to my HOTAS and learning from scratch again.

Didn't see it mentioned but have you tried voice attack with the vr? It lets you use voice commands for almost anything. You can set macros to do things by voice also. I hear it works well with the oculus mic in the headset. I just got it on steam sale for $8 I think but it has a demo if you wanted to tool around with it.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised you're even able to find a match.
I literally didn't think anyone played CQC anymore.

DM games are pretty easy to get and I can get them anytime of day. They changed DM so it'll start with just two players, so that helps a lot. TDM and CTF you generally have to set stuff up in the CQC discord or play on the weekends at certain times (it seems like most of the CQC players are European).

Oct 27, 2017
USA
What they need to do is integrate CQC into the main game. Some stations will have CQC Championship contacts that you can visit and sign up at to play. There could be local stuff (for the people who just want to maybe play a few rounds of DM or TDM). It would be against NPC players if there are not enough live players in the area.

Then there would be the larger CQC events (think Community Goals) that would drawn in players for a more structured experience.

The key is that all of this is in-game, it's not a separate mode.

Have a Megaship that goes around and does a touring CQC championship. It sets up a temp arena where ever it goes. Hell, they could have had a CQC Megaship follow Distant Worlds 2 to give people something else to do along the way.

Could you imagine having a CQC match against the backdrop of the Sagittarius A* and the Galactic Core?

Since it's all Telepresence no one risks losing their ships. It could even be cross play between Open, Private and Solo since, while it would be in-game it still sorta its own separate thing.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah, having it be a completely separate mode really disconnects it from the broader game. If I could dock up at a "CQC supporting" stations and then hop in a fighter and go play a few matches I'd definitely be doing that.

Even better, and less feasible, would be to hook up those awesome in-station displays to show feeds of different CQC matches going on.

sidenote: I found out those station displays actually have individually textured pixel objects that can be manipulated together to produce the image. Display inside display.

https%3A%2F%2Fscreenshotscontent-d5002.xboxlive.com%2Fxuid-2533274827707284-private%2Fd63c0279-fe78-4c28-975f-7ba025f612ef.PNG%3Fsv%3D2015-12-11%26sr%3Db%26si%3DDefaultAccess%26sig%3Dz2qn3ZknuYGbm%252FmIPwU2DHnUZ0P9tdurEPMdWoUufoc%253D.png

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way back when CQC was announced, they had said they had plans to integrate it. That's really the only way it has a chance of taking off.

Well, not the only way. They could easily do better or bigger prizes to entice people. Let people win engineered modules, fighters, or even ships. Prizes are too meager and no one cares about the leaderboard.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of improvements could be made for CQC. The majority of these have a lot been discussed to death on the Frontier forums, yet they just don't care really. Players still play it, so they aren't going to get rid of it, however, I don't think enough people play it to put more effort into making it better.

A couple of things I'd like to see:

Integrate it with the main game

This is probably the biggest one. It needs to be part of the main game. Right now it's just kind of this side mode you can do. The very least they could do is make it accessible through stations. I'd love to break up some of my trading with a game or two of CQC.

Add bots

A lot of new players are going up against players that have days of playtime in CQC. You probably won't even take these players' shields down, let alone kill them. Bots would be good for training and also getting games started faster.

Add more fighters

This one was always strange to me. They added new fighters to the main game, and yet they left them out of CQC when they could have been a great addition. The current meta has been around for years. Imperial Fighter=Condor>Eagle>Sidewinder. It would be nice to get some new ships to play with.

Rewards and incentives

This is a huge issue. The game just doesn't respect your playtime. So there are pretty much only two rewards for CQC. A permit and credits. The permit you get after you prestige once and isn't anything special really. The station has 20% discount on some stuff, but that's about it. It's more of a symbol status of going somewhere that few commanders can go.

The credits on the other hand are a straight joke. Here's my current playtime:

8ADADD91CF13CA6BC9B54F058128C354B44CD089

I have 40 hours (probably more considering the time I'm waiting for a match) of CQC and have made 683k credits. I could make millions upon millions of credits in the main game in 40 hours. People like to say it's fair because there is no rebuy cost and you don't have to buy anything blah blah. I do agree that you shouldn't make as much in CQC as in the main game, but this is pathetic and it doesn't respect your time as a player. CQC definitely needs better rewards and incentives to play, maybe make it a community goal to see players' interest in it.

CQC is fun and more players would play if they just didn't leave it to die. Once I get my prestige and permit, I'm taking a long break from it. I would never attempt to Elite it (that's like 20 days of playtime) in its current state.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm burning out on this at such a bad time. My brain wants to play mindless shooters instead of this.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly why I didn't join DW2. I'm out in the black myself, but heading in a different direction and playing at my own pace.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably head to Sag A, then check out Colonia and slowly wander back to the bubble. But I think I'm done trying to keep up with the expedition. More power to them though. I've seen some great sights thanks to them.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good couple of days exploring.

Yesterday I found a triple T-Tauri system with six water worlds and an Earth-like.

Then today I found my first biologicals. I'm carrying an SRV, so I could get up close and personal. Pretty neat.

Now all I need is some Notable Stellar Phenomenon.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone, i just got an X56 Hotas, and im ready to begin playing Elite, any beginner tips or guides to set up the x56?
Is there a Resetera Elite discord channel?

Oct 25, 2017
Man CQC is my favorite part of elite and the fact that I needed to coordinate on a special discord channel to play some games got exhausting. CQC really needs to be beefed up and made part of the main experience.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Last night I was searching for Federation stations for some rank up missions and ended up dropping into my first neutron star system just by chance. Huge surprise and really cemented how beautiful this game is.
remind me to turn off orbit lines

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
That's a great shot. Even the ship looks amazing.
Thanks man! Galvanized paint with the ship kit really makes the Python shine.

Unrelated note; fuck Fed rank grinding. I thought the rep was gonna be the most annoying part. Nooooo, those rank up missions are the bane of my existence. Appearing randomly, but ALSO requiring cordial rep with the local factions makes no sense.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I did almost all my Fed ranking at Sothis/Ceos running cakewalk courier missions back and forth. By the time the rank up missions popped up I'd already be on great terms with all the controlling factions. Took very little time at all.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I'm doing rescue missions. Saving thousands of stranded refugees from the Thargoid menace.

But I guess that's not good enough for the controlling factions to view me in a positive light.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

Haven't touched Elite for a while and use M+K or a CH HOTAS setup. Generally however:

Joystick => Standard roll, pitch & yaw to the respective axis. Targeting functions on a 4way hat, energy management on a different 4way hat

Throttle => Thrust, however you like it best (range: -100% - +100%, 0%-+100% reverse with modifier or toggle). Lateral and vertical thrust on a thumbstick on the throttle. From there on you can map defensive functions, navigation functions etc. however you like.

If a function is critical and potentially negative when triggered accidentally, e. g. silent running, you may want to assign it to something with a modifier.

You can start from there, but be prepared to play around with the mappings for a while. They're numerous and you'll take a while to find a binding you're comfortable with. For generating a visual representation of your bindings file (Google where to find it), you can use a helpful online tool: https://edrefcard.info

Edit: The Future of Elite Dangerous

Will Flanagan said:
Back in August, we mentioned that the team had begun work on the next major era of Elite. We believe this will be a defining moment in the history of the game and it will be our biggest update yet.

In that post, we explained that the content was still very early in development, so we won't be ready to announce it for a while. To give this more context, in order to realise the ambition for this update, and the size and scope of the content we wish to bring to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, we estimate this major milestone will be ready by the latter half of 2020.

As development progresses, we will share more news and announcements on features, as well as timelines regarding this upcoming content for Elite. We can understand that having a long wait for news can be frustrating, but we truly believe that this will be the single most impactful update for our community. Having a development team dedicated to this milestone is our continued and unwavering commitment to making Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world.

When they let on last year that they'd more or less just started production of the next big update, I feared that we were looking at another Horizons situation. Release just in time for Christmas 2019, feature starved, undercooked, unbalanced etc.. Seems that at least this situation will hopefully not repeat. At the price of having to wait for about two more years. But here's still hoping for a good implementation of space legs or "Elite feet" and atmospheric exploration down the road!

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Latter half of 2020 is pretty far away. I wonder what it's going to be. Atmospheric planet landings? Walking around a station or a ship?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the ObsidianAnt video on the news about late 2020. Made my interest in the game just absolutely plummet.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Latter half of 2020 is pretty far away. I wonder what it's going to be. Atmospheric planet landings? Walking around a station or a ship?
Here is what my dream is.

A complete redo of the entire engine (in Vulkan, for better performance in general) but that mainly is to allow for truely seamless transitions and seamless instancing. Think Space Engine. Think being able to fly from the surface of a planet to space without ever needing the "jump" to Supercruise where it's loading a new instance. You just seamlessly transition from what to the other and there is no loading, at least any that you notice. Same with jumps between systems, you can still have the hyperspace effects and what not but instead of the skybox completely fading out you still see it woosh by in the background to your destination. Sure, for short jumps it won't move much at all but for larger ones you'll see the systems fly by like you do in Space Engine.

Give us that ability to fly from any system to any other system in Supercruise if we want.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at the rate I'm going, I just might be back in the bubble by the time that update launches...

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Here is what my dream is.

A complete redo of the entire engine (in Vulkan, for better performance in general) but that mainly is to allow for truely seamless transitions and seamless instancing. Think Space Engine.

Granted, I don't know how it all works internally, but I have a hunch that the transition times have nothing to do with the engine and nearly everything to do with how instances and their transitions are designed.

When you hit that jump/supercruise key, the game client probably asks for info on your target location from the backend. It tells the backend that you want to transition into an instance in that target area, the backend checks if there are instances (other players) of that area already. If so, it tries to put you in one, telling that other player's game client that you're about to enter that instance, tells your game client that you're entering that instance. Otherwise it has to register a new instance for your client.

As I said, I don't know how it all works internally, but that communication is necessary. It can mean transferring a bunch of data packages across the globe a couple of times. Where 'time' is no predetermined entity, but can range anywhere from a second to dozens of seconds, depending on how much load is on the backend, and how long communication between all involved clients takes. But every step introduces a delay, that can vary greatly in length.

Support for Vulcan or the "Cobra" engine in all likelihood have nothing to do with it. Your best bet would be for them to either redo the game into a single player affair (like space engine?) or to radically redesign their instancing and client server concept. Eliminating transitions might be possible if you are permanently connected to a server and are always in the same instance. On the other hand, such servers would have a capacity limit and you'd also only be able to ever meet players on the same server. Which may be an issue in a game world the size of the milky way...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
2020 eh? well as long as the servers are on, I'll play every once in awhile. ED is still the reason I bought into VR and it's still the defining experience for me.

I just wish...well...lots of things. But after like 2,000 hours, I've gotten more than my monies worth. I'll just hope that big expansion actually comes out doesn't turn out to be them pulling our legs. I miss having a reason to play ED.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
Late 2020's a long way off yet but I don't mind being patient... so long as the eventual payoff's worthwhile.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me really curious as to what they're going to do until then. There are still suppose to be changes/additions between now and then right?

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me really curious as to what they're going to do until then. There are still suppose to be changes/additions between now and then right?

They're talking about doing some adjustments to community goals and more community event work in the linked forum post. I wouldn't hope for any major feature additions to the game, but maybe they'll turn community events into something more interesting than filling a grind meter? It's also imaginable that they're hiding the odd new scan object or location every once in a while.

Edit: From the source.

Community Update (01-03) said:
What now?

We know that waiting for a mammoth update like this one is going to feel like your 3rd run to Hutton Orbital. But don't fret, we've got plenty of updates, content, and plans happening as we progress through to this monumental milestone.

As well as the team of developers working on our next big milestone, we also have a smaller development team focused on adding to and improving the existing game between now and that time. This will take the form of regular game updates and development supported events.

Development supported events

One of the biggest changes will be the way that we create and support in-game events and activities. Starting in the coming months, we will be looking to change the way that in-game events happen. The aim here is to create ongoing, engaging, and varied sets of content that are supported by the development team which players will be able to actively engage in.

We have listened to community feedback regarding Community Goals and while they are an incredible tool, they have become somewhat routine for many Commanders. We felt that we needed to adjust them to be more event-related while taking our in game events a big step further. We will gradually be changing our community goals and their frequency, using them within a larger schedule of development-led events to help us create more improved, meaningful and engaging experiences.

As well as Community Goals, we will also be using things like new scenarios, reputation and reward boosts (such as Superpower reputation increases), BGS and global galactic changes, in-game interactions, new game assets and much more to make game-wide events that tie into the game world. The aim is to constantly create new and exciting events and campaigns for you to get involved in and shape, which will focus on and benefit different types of players.

Outside of the game, we'll communicate with you about these events, how they work and what goes into developing Elite Dangerous.

Regular updates

In addition to the weekly and monthly activity happening in Elite, we will also be releasing a series of updates roughly every 3-4 months. The first two of these updates will primarily focus on new player and welcoming experiences, and we will also be introducing a number of quality of life improvements for the entire player base, of which we will have more news on in the coming weeks. This will help ensure that new players are able to better progress through the game, and therefore help bring more players through to our very awesome, very welcoming community. We will also have additional game tweaks, benefits and bug fixes for all players. In the subsequent updates we will be focusing on bringing in new features, perks and content, including a range of exciting new additions to the game that will build up to this new era.

It is important to note that these updates will not take the same level of content or size that we have seen from our previous updates in Beyond or Horizons, as the majority of the development team will be focusing on the new era.

Last edited:

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
2020 eh? well as long as the servers are on, I'll play every once in awhile. ED is still the reason I bought into VR and it's still the defining experience for me.

I just wish...well...lots of things. But after like 2,000 hours, I've gotten more than my monies worth. I'll just hope that big expansion actually comes out doesn't turn out to be them pulling our legs. I miss having a reason to play ED.
Don't destroy my hopes for space legs

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Any idea how big is the Elite Dangerous dev Team ?

The 2018/08 community update mentions that the had around 100 people dedicated to the "Beyond" updates and that the team is now larger then anytime in the past 6 years:

2018/08 community update said:
...The Beyond season was always something that we wanted to do in order to bring even more enhancements to the core experience of Elite and being able to dedicate a full development team (over 100 people!) for a full year of free content was specifically to gear ourselves up to support our long term vision for the game.
The most important thing we would like for our community to take from this, is that there are some incredibly exciting things just over the horizon. The Elite Dangerous development team is larger than it has been at any point in the last 6 years.

More than 100 then.

NotLocke

Oct 27, 2017
The other night I decided to take out my old PvP bounty hunting build https://s.orbis.zone/2h1k and go to some engineer systems. Most wanted CMDRs ran because APAs have low DPS plus my aim is rusty, and the pack hounds work best at breaking hard points of hull tanks but not much else. I got killed by a meta FDL a few times at Wyrd, and noticed night vision made the mines very easy to see. I find the quad Plasma and rail FDL kind of boring so I wondered what other weird non traditional combat builds you all have enjoyed using?

Deleted member 18113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any quick checklist for flying, takeoff and landing? I played sometime ago and dont want to do the tutorials again

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any quick checklist for flying, takeoff and landing? I played sometime ago and dont want to do the tutorials again
There's an ingame check-list for take-off only, you do it once in the tutorial then it's disabled.
I don't remember where you enable it again (either the game settings or the ship settings in the right panel).

For landing, just make sure you ask the station in the contact panel (left) before entering.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what control setup you're using, and you may want to set custom controls depending on what equipment you have.

For instance when I started almost five years ago, I used an Xbox 360 controller and TrackIR, so I mapped the throttle to the right stick, and some less-needed stuff I mapped to the keyboard, such as using J for supercruise and hyperspace jumps.

Now I use a HOTAS and HTC Vive (although I only bought the Vive about two weeks ago, used TrackIR otherwise).

Most important controls to have, and some of these you may need more of depending on what you want your ship to do (such as if you're going to do a lot of combat, do you need Shield Cell Banks and a quick button for that? If you did you would want heatsinks too.)

Throttle
Stick (for pitch and roll, yaw is optional and comes down to personal preference honestly, I prefer to have it. You might want to have another button that toggles roll axis to yaw axis if you don't want to have them all at the same time though)
Lateral thrust - ideally something analog (my HOTAS has that), but just to be able to take off and land easily, a digital option will get the job done. You would want analog if you're doing more advanced manuevers.
Landing gear button - You won't need this as often, so you could put it on your keyboard or something out of the way.
Hyperspace/supercruise
Deploy/retract hardpoints - There's an option for the primary fire button to deploy hardpoints. I personally don't like it and don't have that on.
Primary and secondary fire
Switch fire groups
Power distribution - Some kind of d-pad or 4-way thing to use for this. On HOTAS this is typically assigned to a POV hat. When I used to play with an Xbox controller, I used the d-pad for it. You will be messing with this frequently.
Something to switch to the four UI panels, maybe keyboard keys. The left and right panels you will need the most, up is social (chat, messages, etc.), bottom is vehicle launching (Horizons only), you'll also need something to navigate the UI panels.
Silent running button - depending on what you do, you may or may not need it often. It's up to you how convenient it should be.
Locking on/selecting targets - This depends on the equipment you have available. On my HOTAS I have a POV hat that can switch between all targets if I hit left or right, and enemy targets if I hit up or down. I can also look at a target and hit a button to lock onto it. I also have a button for cancelling lock-ons.
Engine Boost

Optional, or not depending on what you're going to be doing:

Shield Cell Banks (for combat typically)
Heatsinks (most often combat, but can be good for exploring in case you suddenly wind up in a system surrounded by 2-3 stars or something and you start burning up. Pretty much a requirement for using Shield Cell banks)
Chaff (pretty much anything but exploring needs this really)
Flight assist toggle (more advanced manuevers, some people fly with Flight Assist off all the time. Typically most useful for combat, but can be useful in other roles too)

Off the top of my head those are all I can think of, I'm sure there's probably things I missed that I use all the time though.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
There's an ingame check-list for take-off only, you do it once in the tutorial then it's disabled.
I don't remember where you enable it again (either the game settings or the ship settings in the right panel).

For landing, just make sure you ask the station in the contact panel (left) before entering.
It's in the ship settings on the right hand panel.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Since I got my Vive recently, I have gotten back into this game. I love the game, but I'm still amazed that after 4+ years the game STILL wastes your time in the dumbest ways.

I used to see lots of cases where I was in my combat-outfitted Anaconda and then a shildless Mostly Harmless Sidewinder interdicts me and says "Gimme your cargo or die!" and then I turn to look at him and he's pretty much dead.

Now it's stuff like what happened to me in my Fer-De-Lance today. I took a wing mission by myself to take out a bunch of pirates of a certain faction. An Imperial Courier of that faction that was Expert rank interdicted me saying "You have something I want." and was going to scan me. I figured I should just kill him for the credit on the mission, so I opened fire, barely dinging his shields and he suddenly just boosts away and charges his FSD and gets out! What a waste of time. Maybe I need a more effective PvE loadout on my FDL but good lord, it annoys me when the AI does stuff like that.

My current loadout on my FDL is 4 gimballed Multicannons and one huge fixed beam laser.

I've ranted about Engineers plenty since it came out a few years ago, but looking at it these days it still seems a waste of time unless you're getting heavy into PvP. Even then I imagine it still feels like a waste of time just because of how long it takes.