• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I've not played Elite since February. I left on the Distant Worlds II expedition and by about the time I got near Sag A I just couldn't muster the strength to do the new exploration scanning mini-game any longer. I love that they made exploration more interactive but I don't like how the new mechanic completely takes you away from flying the ship. It feels so detached from the actual game, and after the 1000th time it really just started to grate on me. To the effect of me taking a five month break from the game.

I'll start playing again in the fall, but when I do I'm going to stop exploring and make blasting asteroids my main career now. Maybe I'll go mining out in deep space around one of those nebula asteroid bases, combine mining and light exploration together.

One things for certain, the game hasn't progressed much at all this year. It really feels like Frontier has put Elite into maintenance mode for now.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've not played Elite since February. I left on the Distant Worlds II expedition and by about the time I got near Sag A I just couldn't muster the strength to do the new exploration scanning mini-game any longer. I love that they made exploration more interactive but I don't like how the new mechanic completely takes you away from flying the ship. It feels so detached from the actual game, and after the 1000th time it really just started to grate on me. To the effect of me taking a five month break from the game.

I'll start playing again in the fall, but when I do I'm going to stop exploring and make blasting asteroids my main career now. Maybe I'll go mining out in deep space around one of those nebula asteroid bases, combine mining and light exploration together.

One things for certain, the game hasn't progressed much at all this year. It really feels like Frontier has put Elite into maintenance mode for now.
Yeah I feel like at this point they at least need to tease what the big 2020 update is. I imagine lots of people feel this way about the game. Right now they won't even say what the big 2020 update will be about.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
ten billion credits to go 20 LY and it takes 20 real-life hours

Given how ship delivery turned out, that's what will happen and you know it.

We've got a few months to dream lol. I'm hoping it's just a huge amount of resources to move them, but...yeah. I want to be able to fly it and then park it right outside an AX zone, but...haha...yeah. We'll see!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't care how much resources or work it takes to move them. What I do hope they have is an internal mission board, market, and ship outfitting. Something that can allow deep space mobile mining or salvage work. Something which can make them mobile bases for explorers to operate out of and sell their data at.

If the fleet carriers don't enable emergent gameplay then they will be useless. My fear is that they'll only be useful for combat players.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I honestly don't care how much resources or work it takes to move them. What I do hope they have is an internal mission board, market, and ship outfitting. Something that can allow deep space mobile mining or salvage work. Something which can make them mobile bases for explorers to operate out of and sell their data at.

If the fleet carriers don't enable emergent gameplay then they will be useless. My fear is that they'll only be useful for combat players.
If this isn't how they end up working they are going to turn into one the most hyped and least used features Frontier adds.

One angle I think would be interesting is if they allow for players outside your squadron to land on and use your fleet carrier. For a fee. That would open up an entirely different economy where squads could generate income by parking their carrier in key points throughout the galaxy that aren't currently serviced by a station.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
If this isn't how they end up working they are going to turn into one the most hyped and least used features Frontier adds.

One angle I think would be interesting is if they allow for players outside your squadron to land on and use your fleet carrier. For a fee. That would open up an entirely different economy where squads could generate income by parking their carrier in key points throughout the galaxy that aren't currently serviced by a station.

This sounds fucking amazing but I think it's too clever to actually happen.

I love this game but my cynicism knows no bounds when it comes to their ability to make it more fun.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played in months, actually probably over a year, I see that they are adding a new player experience does anyone know if this will be exclusively for new players or can existing players turn it on? (Not sure I want to start a new commander, in fact not even sure you can)

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Here is some more info from the forums.

01-jpg.141077

03-jpg.141078

02-jpg.141079

04-jpg.141080

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty pumped about this. Definitely gonna have to do some grinding a few weeks before the update comes.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Since they're "personal" and not squadron carriers maybe Frontier is slowly starting to acknowledge just how players actually play their game.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine paying compounded insurance on these things. i can't wait dude

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played in months, I'm still on the outward leg of a trip to Beagle Point. I might be able to afford one when I get back in a couple years.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Frontier doesn't even know. That's why they said a large amount of credits. lol

I'd probably say a minimum of 500 million, but it will most likely be in the billions range.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Played for two hours and I only went from Lieutenant 17% to 48%. Plus the credits for rep missions suck, so I only made five million. I don't even know if I want a Corvette any more. I think I should have gone Empire for the Cutter. It seems a lot more useful than the Corvette, but I have no Imperial rank, so I'm not doing this grind again.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
imagine paying compounded insurance on these things. i can't wait dude
I'm not sure they'll make them destructible, seeing as you can't physically fly them.
They might be prone to Thargoid attack, but that all depends on how FD handle instancing and consistency of carriers while the owner is logged off, etc.

It would be cool if you could take one into Thargoid territory, then trigger a "mini CG" type deal where it gets attacked like the space stations do, and you need to fight off any straggling Scouts, collect materials for repairs, then jump it out of there in one piece.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Fleet carriers are cool but not something I'll ever be taking part in I think. I wish they would talk about what they're doing in 2020. I'd like to get back into the game.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

Some combat players I've seen are skeptical of their usefullness compared to their probable cost and upkeep. All the really do in that case is act as a substitute for ship transfer with the abilities confirmed so far since you're rarely too far from repair/restock services in any place you can expect to see combat. That might not be worth the cost.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Fleet Carriers could be used as the space equivalent of an RV to camp out a base in deep space, and you tow your car and bikes behind you to go places, for a home away from home.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero interest in owning my own fleet carrier, but I am interested in the multiplayer aspects fleet carriers could enable. Squadrons of deep space miners far away from the bubble, or a fleet of deep space explorers supported by carriers where they can sell data and repair and such. Salvage carrier operation would be cool if Elite had good salvage gameplay.

For the most part though, fleet carriers are likely a feature I'll rarely ever use. I'd much sooner have more planet types to land on, or the improved ice planets we were supposed to get last year.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So I'm jumping into this game for the first time tomorrow.

I've watched a few starting tips videos and think I have a solid understanding of basic stuff but I'm curious what tips this community can offer to a newbie like me.

Also a setup question - I have a HOTAS, rudder pedals and a Rift S. Does that sound like a good setup or should I start the game on a monitor with a controller just to learn the basics and then start configuring controls and VR to my liking after laying a solid foundation?

Really looking forward to this!

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Also a setup question - I have a HOTAS, rudder pedals and a Rift S. Does that sound like a good setup or should I start the game on a monitor with a controller just to learn the basics and then start configuring controls and VR to my liking after laying a solid foundation?

Really looking forward to this!
Start with a monitor and the Hotas/rudder pedals. Do the tutorials, tweak the keybinds, dock your ship again and set up the Rift.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's just more new player improvements plus the new in game currency stuff. I'm not expecting anything exciting to be revealed tomorrow.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

Although it would be nice to see new planet types..
It's been a while sience they showed their cloudtech.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here play on kb+m? My desk just doesn't have the room for my hotas and I would need to nail them down to prevent them from sliding around while using them, I have the thrustmaster t16000m and it's too light to stay grounded when in use. I've been wanting to get back in for months but I keep thinking that I won't be able to get used to kb+m like I have with hotas controls, I've been waiting until I can build a better hotas setup to dive back in but I'm itching to play it lately.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here play on kb+m? My desk just doesn't have the room for my hotas and I would need to nail them down to prevent them from sliding around while using them, I have the thrustmaster t16000m and it's too light to stay grounded when in use. I've been wanting to get back in for months but I keep thinking that I won't be able to get used to kb+m like I have with hotas controls, I've been waiting until I can build a better hotas setup to dive back in but I'm itching to play it lately.

Have you tried adhering heavy-duty, non-slip rubber feet to the bottom of the stick and throttle? I've also seen some home brew where people affix a metal plate to the bottom to add weight. Wouldn't help with your desk size but you already have a Hotas, why settle for keyboard and mouse?

Personally I hated the game with mouse and keyboard but a lot of people say it's fine or even better than with a Hotas.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried adhering heavy-duty, non-slip rubber feet to the bottom of the stick and throttle? I've also seen some home brew where people affix a metal plate to the bottom to add weight. Wouldn't help with your desk size but you already have a Hotas, why settle for keyboard and mouse?

Personally I hated the game with mouse and keyboard but a lot of people say it's fine or even better than with a Hotas.
The only thing keeping me from playing Elite more is not having a good setup for my hotas. Everytime I think about playing I remember my setup is horribly cramped and it discourages me, and I'm thinking whether I want to just stick to kb+m, or spend a day or so rearranging my entire desk corner to fit my hotas on it permanently if I know I'll start playing Elite alot more. I just wanted to see if anyone has had better luck on kb+m and had any tricks on how to play efficiently with it, in case I just can't get my hotas working with my current desk space.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing keeping me from playing Elite more is not having a good setup for my hotas. Everytime I think about playing I remember my setup is horribly cramped and it discourages me, and I'm thinking whether I want to just stick to kb+m, or spend a day or so rearranging my entire desk corner to fit my hotas on it permanently if I know I'll start playing Elite alot more. I just wanted to see if anyone has had better luck on kb+m and had any tricks on how to play efficiently with it, in case I just can't get my hotas working with my current desk space.

I feel your pain - I was using a rickety plastic folding table for a bit and my HOTAS weighs like 20 lbs. Far more than the table did.

Not sure it'll help but Amazon has a sale on desks ...

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I feel your pain - I was using a rickety plastic folding table for a bit and my HOTAS weighs like 20 lbs. Far more than the table did.

Not sure it'll help but Amazon has a sale on desks ...
I caved and cleared off my entire desk for my hotas, I'm gonna have to work around my hotas setup when using my PC normally, but I just got finished deepcore mining for the first time and I think it's pretty worth the hassle already. I'd still be playing if it were not for the update maintenance.

My current hotas is a Thrustmaster T16000M that was on sale, but if I'm still playing in a few weeks, I'm thinking about fitting out my chair so I can sit my hotas on my armrests instead, and possibly upgrade to a Saitek x52. I've been eyeing it for a bit but can't justify the cost until I know for sure I'm gonna get alot of use out of it, haha.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I caved and cleared off my entire desk for my hotas, I'm gonna have to work around my hotas setup when using my PC normally, but I just got finished deepcore mining for the first time and I think it's pretty worth the hassle already. I'd still be playing if it were not for the update maintenance.

My current hotas is a Thrustmaster T16000M that was on sale, but if I'm still playing in a few weeks, I'm thinking about fitting out my chair so I can sit my hotas on my armrests instead, and possibly upgrade to a Saitek x52. I've been eyeing it for a bit but can't justify the cost until I know for sure I'm gonna get alot of use out of it, haha.

Hey awesome! Good for you. The game is pretty incredible with throttle and stick.

I too was playing until five minutes before the update. I was actually looking to get into mining but I haven't totally figured out the mechanics yet. I'm still early on with about 20 hours in the game and a Cobra mkIII.

Oh, and you justify the cost of an x52 by telling yourself it's not a Warthog!

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the latest update broke many things that should not have been touched by what they added...
Again, FDEV don't even test the basic things of their game, they don't even bother doing betas anymore, and they sold beta access not so long ago...

Also, the game really looks like a free to play game, advertising ARX everywhere, even in the in-game stations menus, WTF

I did not play for months, finished the Distant World 2 expedition in time, still near Beagle Point, I'll take my time to get back, I don't even need to rush considering all what they broke.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I never even finished DW2, I burned out way before Beagle and I haven't played at all since. Still sitting somewhere between Colonia and Sag A.

This small update sure did break a lot of unrelated things in the game. Frontier always has a tremendous problem with quality control of their updates, it happens every single time. What's really scary is just how often things seemingly untouched get broken during patch time. My hunch is they have a huge spaghetti code problem with Elite and it's gotten so out of hand that whenever they touch anything it invariably breaks two other things.

And yeah, from what I've seen the store is being pushed super hard from within the game. Could be Ten Cent's influence on Elite, or it could signify a step towards a F2P model coming down the line. I'm not saying that would be good or bad, I'm not sure how it would play out, but the indicators are certainly there.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt mind ARKS as being able to buy single skins was a step up in my opinion but its fucking obnoxious how theyre pushing it.