• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here that plays in VR have this issue where there's a bunch of blurry jaggies around asteroids when in an RES?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's ugly! Maybe try messing with your volumetric settings? What HMD are you using? Have you tried running the game in pancake mode to see if it's exclusively a VR issue?
HTC Vive (the original), and I haven't played flat recently. I will give it a try. I'll also try the volumetric lighting settings too.

I built a new PC recently and put it on the "VR ultra" setting.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
HTC Vive (the original), and I haven't played flat recently. I will give it a try. I'll also try the volumetric lighting settings too.

I built a new PC recently and put it on the "VR ultra" setting.

Looks like either an issue with volumetrics or antialiasing but I'm no expert. I found the frontier forum post with the video you posted but it seems to be a pretty niche issue. Try messing with the settings when you get a chance. It's weird you have a Vive because it seems like most people with this issue use WMR.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking into Rudder Pedals (I might get them whether I can get the twist axis fixed or not) and I think I have it narrowed down to these two:

Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder

CH Products Pro Pedals USB Flight Simulator Pedals

I had heard more about the latter, but the former is pretty inexpensive and also seems to have solid reviews. Any recommendations out of these, or something else entirely?

I know about the MFG Crosswind, I am not up for pouring $300 into this right now.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This grates on me too.

I bought No Man's Sky during this last Steam winter sale and I've played over 50 hours with it since then, and I just can't help feeling how NMS does so many things better than Elite. And yet Elite has far better flight mechanics and is the better game in many ways, but NMS is just so FUN to explore and sightsee in.

What I really want is a game with the dynamic variety of NMS plus the sim light flight mechanics of Elite. Such a game would rule my life for so damn long.
Seeing stuff like the "Arx" get added doesn't give me much confidence. I get they want to monetize the cosmetic stuff, but going full "live service" on it is just something I don't like. I know ED is and was always technically "live", but didn't have the premium currency to earn at a slow rate but can just buy for microtransactions. Right now it doesn't look like Arx have too much of an impact other than cosmetics.

The flight mechanics really are what make Elite for me, but I agree it gets frustrating with the development of it sometimes. I mentioned Robigo runs in another post, but remember how bad Engineers was on launch?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They always monetised the cosmetics. How is buying them with ARX in game any different than buying them with Euro on the Frontier Store?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
They always monetised the cosmetics. How is buying them with ARX in game any different than buying them with Euro on the Frontier Store?
It's just signs of it turning into something more like a premium currency of a mobile game, where they dangle the carrot of earning more Arx somehow, start giving out "login bonuses" of some other currency.

It's just the kind of things in modern gaming that irks me. I know a lot of that is unfounded as of right now, but I think it's only a matter of time.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing the game in VR and I was wondering... Is there a way to keep both the left and right screens (exterior and interior systems) opened at all time? I've noticed that having them constantly pop-up in and out everytime I turn my head in VR gets annoying.

For example, when I get near a station, I'll look left to go setup the docking request, then I'll look forward to see the distance and wait for it to get under 7.5 and then look back to the left to do the actual call but it looks dumb with the screen flashing on and off...

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing the game in VR and I was wondering... Is there a way to keep both the left and right screens (exterior and interior systems) opened at all time? I've noticed that having them constantly pop-up in and out everytime I turn my head in VR gets annoying.

For example, when I get near a station, I'll look left to go setup the docking request, then I'll look forward to see the distance and wait for it to get under 7.5 and then look back to the left to do the actual call but it looks dumb with the screen flashing on and off...
In the settings, change the panels to "looking at the panel does nothing", then set a binding for opening that panel.

I have the four panels bound to one of the 4-way POV hats on my throttle, works quite well, and the panels don't obstruct my view.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
I know about the MFG Crosswind, I am not up for pouring $300 into this right now.
I can only tell you that the Crosswinds are absolutely terrific. But you either need to push them against a wall or mount them on something that doesn't move around, otherwise the force required to use them will have them sliding around due to the small profile base. And 300€+ flight sim Hardware is wasted on Elite, I'm afraid. Edit: Virpil now also offers flight pedals. They seem to be all metal constructions? The "lower" end option goes for 200€, but lacks toe brakes. Which aren't required for Elite at all, since there's no need to break with the left or right landing gear wheels. 😅 But they can be "misused" to accelerate and brake with the SRV, as I did with my MFG Crosswinds.

I'd go with CH over Thrustmasters where possible, at least for "secondary" devices, like the pedals. While their electronics are outdated, their stuff is reliable and solid. Not having an insane resolution on your pedals - even joystick or throttle - doesn't make much of a difference in Elite anyway.

I really wonder if we'll at least get a glimpse of the next payed addon for Elite this year. Not that I have much hope the actual game beyond the pure ship flying will become anything else than a timewaster grind treatmill, but I'd still like to explore the Elite universe on foot for a while, rather than just being glued to the pilot's seat. Shootouts in space stations/generation ships/boarded ships would be a welcome expansion of the game's universe and change to flying between stations all the time, only experiencing everything from the pilot's seat.

Don't care much for them integrating micro transactions into the game with premium currency. With the original purchase and LTP during Gamescom 2015 (~170€) + some skins, I've thrown more than enough money at Frontier. Funny thing, I'd be willing to give them some more, if they add QoL improvements to the game, that can get my friends and me back to playing it.

But I fear short of instant and free teleportation between stations you've already visited with your ship (edit: outside of missions, and only with an empty cargo hold), there's nothing that will get us back into the game. The prospect of collectively having to jump through systems for half an hour to meet up in a station together we've all been in before, is such a grating one, that Frontier can stick it for all I care until they do something about it. The half measure or zero equation bullshit they let themselves be talked into by the immersion idiots all the time won't do it for me, I'm afraid (f***k ship transfer delays).

On a less angry note, "cross saves" and cross play would be highly welcome QoL improvements for this "game as a service". Even more so, as the new console hardware generation will make an appearance this year. Isolated progress and lack of cross play for multiplatform games should become a thing of the past already.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing Voiceattack lately...

Any pros/cons in buying it on Steam vs their website directly?

Anything I should know before or after buying it? Any must have info or settings?

How essential are those extra HCS voice packs?

I'm computer savvy in general but I have never touched any voice stuff like that with games before.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Thrustmaster support finally responded...

The XXXX has an obvious hardware issue. The only option, as we do not repair these units, is to replace them if they are still under warranty.

The warranty for your unit is 1 Year for US Customers. There is nothing more we can do.

I'm sure it's not intended, but this sure comes off condescending as all hell.

I have had the stick for 2+ years... Time for those CH pedals!

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This grates on me too.

I bought No Man's Sky during this last Steam winter sale and I've played over 50 hours with it since then, and I just can't help feeling how NMS does so many things better than Elite. And yet Elite has far better flight mechanics and is the better game in many ways, but NMS is just so FUN to explore and sightsee in.

What I really want is a game with the dynamic variety of NMS plus the sim light flight mechanics of Elite. Such a game would rule my life for so damn long.
I can't speak to its development over the years but having played No Mans Sky a bunch and jumping into Elite for the first time after the christmas sale I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Pedals just came in! I set them up under my desk but have not gotten to play yet. They feel nice so far. I could actually see myself putting the blocker pieces in and using them as forward and reverse when driving my SRV.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pedals just came in! I set them up under my desk but have not gotten to play yet. They feel nice so far. I could actually see myself putting the blocker pieces in and using them as forward and reverse when driving my SRV.

Do they have toe breaks? Since toe breaks aren't really necessary in a space sim I rebound boost to the right toe break. It feels so good to "hit the gas" by basically flooring a pedal.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have toe breaks? Since toe breaks aren't really necessary in a space sim I rebound boost to the right toe break. It feels so good to "hit the gas" by basically flooring a pedal.
They do have toe brakes. I would rather rebind those to SRV forward/back axis. I prefer the button on my throttle for boost, since it's not an analog thing.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I tuned in to a random Twitch streamer playing the game in VR and he happened, at that exact moment, to be answering questions from the chat about playing the game with an Oculus headset specifically. He was saying how SteamVR tends to affect performances a lot when playing with an Oculus and he suggested to use the standalone launcher version instead.

I downloaded and installed the standalone version last night (it's great that we automatically get it even if the game was bought on Steam originally!) and wow... Unless it was a fluke when I played via Steam previously, I am actually getting MUCH better performances in-game with my Quest+Link cable and the standalone version. I am running the game just fine in VR Ultra mode and I even went in and bumped up the HMD Image Quality setting or whatever it's called.

Man... That game is such a trip in VR! So fucking cool.

The bigger problem that I have now is that I kinda don't know what to do haha... I played it a lot on PS4 a couple of years ago, went in mostly trading stuff between systems with the end goal of getting myself an Anaconda and an Imperial Cutter.... I got both and then instantly lost interest in the game haha.

Now that I have started fresh on PC, I did a few basic missions to test out VR and bought a Cobra but then I just don't know what to do.... I love and appreciate the open ended nature of the game but sometimes I just wish I had an actual story campaign or at least some more well defined goals to work towards.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want one of the old 90s Starwars Space games remade in Elite haha

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess what I'm saying is that I want one of the old 90s Starwars Space games remade in Elite haha

Can you imagine if Elite Dangerous had been an offline game but moddable? It would have been so huge, just think of the mods which would have been created. We'd have so many more ships, missions and campaigns, more detailed planets with more to find on them, upgraded graphics.

I'd love to see a space sim game done like Skyrim and mod friendly. What a beast that could be.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I tuned in to a random Twitch streamer playing the game in VR and he happened, at that exact moment, to be answering questions from the chat about playing the game with an Oculus headset specifically. He was saying how SteamVR tends to affect performances a lot when playing with an Oculus and he suggested to use the standalone launcher version instead.

I downloaded and installed the standalone version last night (it's great that we automatically get it even if the game was bought on Steam originally!) and wow... Unless it was a fluke when I played via Steam previously, I am actually getting MUCH better performances in-game with my Quest+Link cable and the standalone version. I am running the game just fine in VR Ultra mode and I even went in and bumped up the HMD Image Quality setting or whatever it's called.

Man... That game is such a trip in VR! So fucking cool.

The bigger problem that I have now is that I kinda don't know what to do haha... I played it a lot on PS4 a couple of years ago, went in mostly trading stuff between systems with the end goal of getting myself an Anaconda and an Imperial Cutter.... I got both and then instantly lost interest in the game haha.

Now that I have started fresh on PC, I did a few basic missions to test out VR and bought a Cobra but then I just don't know what to do.... I love and appreciate the open ended nature of the game but sometimes I just wish I had an actual story campaign or at least some more well defined goals to work towards.

So I'm in the same boat only I have a Rift S. What exactly do you mean by download the standalone launcher? I've always just used Steam to launch it "in VR" and then Oculus opens by default. Do you get the launcher from Frontier?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the same boat only I have a Rift S. What exactly do you mean by download the standalone launcher? I've always just used Steam to launch it "in VR" and then Oculus opens by default. Do you get the launcher from Frontier?
Yeah

You can download the launcher from here http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/Client-Installer.exe

You login with your Frontier account in the launcher and you should be able to install the game. It's a separate install from the Steam one so it will redownload the whole thing but all your saves are server side so you won't have to start from scratch.

From there, when you launch the game, you can go in VR mode without even having Steam running at all.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah

You can download the launcher from here http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/Client-Installer.exe

You login with your Frontier account in the launcher and you should be able to install the game. It's a separate install from the Steam one so it will redownload the whole thing but all your saves are server side so you won't have to start from scratch.

From there, when you launch the game, you can go in VR mode without even having Steam running at all.

Wow. I'm amazed I never heard about this. So it'll launch Oculus still but not Steam VR, right? Is performance really that much better? Do you use super sampling?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I'm amazed I never heard about this. So it'll launch Oculus still but not Steam VR, right? Is performance really that much better? Do you use super sampling?
Well, for me it was a lot better but like I said, it might have been a fluke, I'm not 100% sure.

I'm using the VR Ultra setting in game now and I bumped the HMD Image Quality setting to 1.5 and it's still very smooth. Can't remember if the Supersampling setting is enabled with the VR Ultra profile. I would have to chek tonight.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, for me it was a lot better but like I said, it might have been a fluke, I'm not 100% sure.

I'm using the VR Ultra setting in game now and I bumped the HMD Image Quality setting to 1.5 and it's still very smooth. Can't remember if the Supersampling setting is enabled with the VR Ultra profile. I would have to chek tonight.

Have you confirmed you're getting 80fps?

I remember jacking up the supersampling and something felt off (although it looked great) and realized my HMD was running at 40 FPS. Not sure how to prevent the thing from doing this though.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Have you confirmed you're getting 80fps?

I remember jacking up the supersampling and something felt off (although it looked great) and realized my HMD was running at 40 FPS. Not sure how to prevent the thing from doing this though.
No but I'm not sure how I could check the FPSs? I have FPSVr on Steam that is great for that but obviously that won't work in my case.

There is the debug window for Oculus that I could turn on to see, it's just really annoying since it's huge and in the center of the screen haha. I can at least see how I'm running in general to test it.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No but I'm not sure how I could check the FPSs? I have FPSVr on Steam that is great for that but obviously that won't work in my case.

There is the debug window for Oculus that I could turn on to see, it's just really annoying since it's huge and in the center of the screen haha. I can at least see how I'm running in general to test it.

If you have screen mirroring going on both the Steam FPS counter and the Nvidia one display on your monitor. I just peek out of VR to see.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Rudder pedals were well worth the purchase. Hell I was even at the point where I was driving my SRV by steering with them, using the right toe break as accelerate forward and left toe break as accelerate backward. I'm still not 100% used to them, but definitely getting there. I think it feels better than the twist, even though you might think it's just another thing to think about when controlling your ship.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Rudder pedals were well worth the purchase. Hell I was even at the point where I was driving my SRV by steering with them, using the right toe break as accelerate forward and left toe break as accelerate backward. I'm still not 100% used to them, but definitely getting there. I think it feels better than the twist, even though you might think it's just another thing to think about when controlling your ship.

Which paddels did you get?

I am looking at the thrustmaster ones since they are compatible with my hotas

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Which paddels did you get?

I am looking at the thrustmaster ones since they are compatible with my hotas
CH Pro Pedals. They're incredibly sturdy despite being plastic. They require no software to work, and they will still work with any HOTAS. I have the Thrustmaster T16000.Mb and the Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle and they work great together.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Did they break choosing sides in Conflict Zones or something? I hadn't participated in a CZ in a long time, and I remember the last time I did the choice would pop up on the comms panel. Now it doesn't seem to at all. I even looked in Ship Functions where it used to be years ago and it's not there. Did they move it again or something?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
CZ's were broken with the bug fix patch this week, it is currently impossible to win a CZ, they never end.

No word on when it might be fixed.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
CZ's were broken with the bug fix patch this week, it is currently impossible to win a CZ, they never end.

No word on when it might be fixed.
LOL

Leave an essential function of the game broken rather than just reverting the patch.

What was so important to fix it was worth leaving CZ's broken over?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

Leave an essential function of the game broken rather than just reverting the patch.

What was so important to fix it was worth leaving CZ's broken over?

Ironically nothing with CZ's was even supposed to change. It's a common problem with Frontier and Elite, when they try to fix any bugs they invariably break some other non-related parts of the game.

My hunch is they have an enormous spaghetti code problem with Elite and the foundation is super fragile and messy. It's why I think the New Era at the end of 2020 will be a completely new core built from scratch, essentially Elite Dangerous 2. I think they realized the game was too patchworked to continue with it as is.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically nothing with CZ's was even supposed to change. It's a common problem with Frontier and Elite, when they try to fix any bugs they invariably break some other non-related parts of the game.

My hunch is they have an enormous spaghetti code problem with Elite and the foundation is super fragile and messy. It's why I think the New Era at the end of 2020 will be a completely new core built from scratch, essentially Elite Dangerous 2. I think they realized the game was too patchworked to continue with it as is.
They still haven't said what the big thing other than having your own capital ships was, right?

I'd really hope they explore the untapped potential of planets. Driving on planets can be relaxing sometimes, and there's stuff that could add that's just procedurally generated that would still make them a lot more fun.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Having spent a few days playing with pedals......whew....how have I lived without this for the ~5 years I have been playing Elite Dangerous?!

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017

I've just come back to the game after a 3-year long hiatus and I've been wondering why so many basic features were still lacking given the global lack of new features having been introduced. A good example of that would be the lack of relative mode toggle for mouse flying that makes switching FA on and off unpractical when going M/K. In that context your opinion sounds very tangible. After all, why introduce large fixes when you know you've got a whole new game engine coming up.

Klebby

Oct 25, 2017
I've just come back to the game after a 3-year long hiatus and I've been wondering why so many basic features were still lacking given the global lack of new features having been introduced. A good example of that would be the lack of relative mode toggle for mouse flying that makes switching FA on and off unpractical when going M/K. In that context your opinion sounds very tangible. After all, why introduce large fixes when you know you've got a whole new game engine coming up.

People (me included) have been annoyed with there not being a relative mouse toggle for years. If you're on m/kb it makes either fa on or fa off completely unusable. It's such an easy fix that it blows my mind it's still not it.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Having spent a few days playing with pedals......whew....how have I lived without this for the ~5 years I have been playing Elite Dangerous?!

Yeah they make a big difference.

For me the larger difference was in flight sims. When I finally got my pedals and yoke it completely transformed my flight sim experience. I should have bought the yoke/pedals freaking long before I actually did. I can't fly without the yoke + pedals now, its such a big difference I don't even bother flying without them plugged in.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

For me the larger difference was in flight sims. When I finally got my pedals and yoke it completely transformed my flight sim experience. I should have bought the yoke/pedals freaking long before I actually did. I can't fly without the yoke + pedals now, its such a big difference I don't even bother flying without them plugged in.

I never really hear about people playing Elite with a yoke. I assume it's because a stick is better for the combat but a yoke sounds good for all the other trucking you do. Did you buy it for civilian flight simming initially?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I never really hear about people playing Elite with a yoke. I assume it's because a stick is better for the combat but a yoke sounds good for all the other trucking you do. Did you buy it for civilian flight simming initially?
I agree, I would think a yoke would be a little weird for Elite.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I would think a yoke would be a little weird for Elite.

I use my CH Flightstick + Throttle for Elite, the yoke for flight sims, and the pedals for both.

I have tried the yoke in Elite and its nicer than you might think actually. Odd, but not bad at all. Fewer buttons though, which matters more in Elite.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use my CH Flightstick + Throttle for Elite, the yoke for flight sims, and the pedals for both.

I have tried the yoke in Elite and its nicer than you might think actually. Odd, but not bad at all. Fewer buttons though, which matters more in Elite.

Actually a yoke sounds like a pretty cool way to do passenger and delivery missions. It would be cool if the game detected it and changed the in-game joystick to a generic yoke too.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to hit my goal of making Elite in combat, I'm at Deadly 79% just RES farming, prioritizing Elite, Deadly, and Dangerous ships in that order. If CZ's weren't broken I would go find a high intensity CZ as that would be faster.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
fLE5I3i.png

Made it out of a bad encounter at an RES with this the other day. I don't know how I survived but I must have made it out with 0.4% hull or something and it rounded it down to zero. I was sweating as I had tons of bounty vouchers I hadn't turned in.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

I remember hearing that the Gnosis existed, but didn't feel like going all the way out there to be on it when it jumped...but I had NEVER heard about this story. This sounds exactly something FDev would do, and is really aggravating.

I also had an annoying run-in with the new crime and punishment system. I was RES farming, and some dumbass flew in front of my fixed Beam Laser and I got a 600 CR fine for assault. I left and went back to the station, since now I had a bunch of clean ships shooting at me. I saw the 600 CR Bounty and glossed over the "Turn yourself in" and tried to pay it, then I was like "SHITSHITSHIT did I just give up my FDL for this?!"

I was relieved that I did not give up my ship and only had to pay a measley 600g...however now I'm in a prison station that's way the hell away from where I was...In my Fer-De-Lance, which is not a jumper. So I decided to order my biggest jump range ship, my Diamondback Explorer delivered to where I was. 80,000 CR and 20 minutes...okay, I guess not the worst. So I logged off for a bit to wait for that, logged back in later, took the Diamondback and flew back home. Then I had to have the FDL delivered. Similar price, 20 minute wait.

Really this issue goes back to the problem I have with the ship delivery. I get that people wanted to keep the simulation elements, but one of the most baffling things the Elite community has ever done was answering on that poll that they wanted ship delivery to have both a fee and wait time. Simulation aspects should apply to things like the flight and physics model, NOT inconveniences like accessing your ships and having to wait a bunch of real-world time for them. I don't see any valid reason to not have your ships available to you anywhere, it just feels like a waste of time either moving your ships manually (and buying throwaway haulers as you move them) or having to wait forever to do it. Hell I would have accepted only having to pay a fee for ship delivery, with no wait time, or at least not have the wait times be as exorbitant as they are right now.

Also, did they get rid of the notoriety system? I didn't see it anywhere, and I remembered the frustrating old system where I had notoriety for something like an accidental assault, but had notoriety that I had to just leave my game logged in at an Interstellar Factor until the notoriety decayed (which IIRC it was 1 every 2 hours LOGGED IN)7