• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was on the Gnosis when that shit happened. It was simply terrible, Frontier fucked that one up hard.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah that Gnosis thing, I was there with my exploration fitted Anaconda, no weapon, everything lightweight, as we were going to unexplored systems, but they just fucked that up.
When I logged after the missed jump, I went up but did not take off, there was Thargoids firing, I just ALT-F4 the game and did not play for days or weeks, just a fucking bad idea form Frontier.

They better have something really big at the end of the year (if it's not pushed to next year), because between that kind of "events", lack of new content, delayed content, updates that break basic things that should even not have been touched by the update, the several nerfs, ... the game can be less and less enjoyable.

Thankfully I'm still very far away exploring and going back to the Bubble, but still, I could not play for almost a month when they broke the FSS and took their time to fix it.
After each update I'm afraid they break something about exploration again as it's the only gameplay I have for now until I get back.
And they did it again (big stutters when arriving in an unexplored system), but this time they patched it the following day... thankfully this time there was a beta, but hey, they changed things after and did not test it.. again.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
They really want you to suffer to unlock Guardian tech.

I gathered all the Guardian materials and module blueprints, just need to gather human made materials and commodities.

Then I need to get 13 weapon blueprints which involves solving a mind-numbing "puzzle" 13 goddamn times.

But hey, got the FSD booster unlocked.

Last edited:

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
This grates on me too.

I bought No Man's Sky during this last Steam winter sale and I've played over 50 hours with it since then, and I just can't help feeling how NMS does so many things better than Elite. And yet Elite has far better flight mechanics and is the better game in many ways, but NMS is just so FUN to explore and sightsee in.

What I really want is a game with the dynamic variety of NMS plus the sim light flight mechanics of Elite. Such a game would rule my life for so damn long.

Yeah, I've felt this. What NMS does for you is give you a light and immediate experience, it is incredibly rewarding to flit from space onto a planet and then be on foot exploring and building. It's actually very much a chilled out experience to play.

Elite is so much harder to get in to. I had sessions where I'd set an hour aside and basically ended up tinkering with my ship or figuring out my one activity I was going to do (usually a quick combat jaunt in the system). You need a certain amount of mental preparation in order to do some weighty tasks in the game.

What Elite *does* give you over NMS is that stunningly created galaxy. In NMS, I feel like I am in a fun playground, in Elite I feel like I am in space. There is something so fundamentally satisfying simply existing in the the space that Elite creates. The insignificance of your existence, the handling of your ship, the tangible nature of everything around you.

I'd love it if they could meet in the middle somewhat.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pick this up again and was reminded of my perennial hatred for ships where the pilot seat isn't in the middle. It unduly bugs the shit out of me that I had to look at the side of the windscreen.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pick this up again and was reminded of my perennial hatred for ships where the pilot seat isn't in the middle. It unduly bugs the shit out of me that I had to look at the side of the windscreen.
Fer-De-Lance is the biggest offender on this. It's my favorite ship in the game and is biggest blemish is that stupid bar right in front of you.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind non-middle seats, I love my combat Python (and loved the Cobra too), can't wait to get back to a bit of combat, I'm still way out in my Krait Explorer Phantom, coming back slowly to the Bubble.

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
I play in VR and it feels ok, this bar does not obscure vision. But I agree, it could annoy a little on flat screen.

Sell FDL because of it? Come on, it's great ship!

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sell FDL because of it? Come on, it's great ship!

I honestly only bought it to buy it. I'd nothing in mind for it so that really was enough to get rid of it.

How do you guys drive a car, I wonder? :)

Not through space and on a lane where a side aligned seat makes more sense. I mean as I said its an irritation. Though given other players could sit in the co-pilot seat I think you should at least be able to switch around what seat you are in.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at Deadly 95% now, I think I should be able to make Elite through this weekend. This strategy of just going to RES and searching for Dangerous or higher ships is going much faster than killing anything and everything that was wanted.

I'm sure my loadouts aren't 100% optimal in today's version of the game, but I feel like I was able to stay longer and kill more ships with my FDL as opposed to my Anaconda.

FDL has 4 gimballed multicannons on the medium, and a fixed beam laser on the huge.

Anaconda has a huge cannon, a few turreted pulse lasers, and rail guns filling out everything else. (I can't remember precisely what's on what hardpoint without looking at it). I also have an AI in a ship launched fighter with dual beam laser. I know the AI pilots take a percentage of your profits, but if I'm just trying to kill more ships and not caring as much about credits right now it's fine.

After hitting Elite my goal is still to go for a combat outfitted Cutter. I also considered a Corvette but I'd need to go grind Federal rank to get that.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time coming, but I've been playing (sometimes on and off) for almost exactly 5 years and I finally did it.
dlv9o8R.png

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! I think I will never have the patience to do it myself, stuck at the end of Dangerous forever.
For combat, the way that sped it up for me was taking my FDL out to a Hazardous RES in Gende (extremely close to a station) and killing only wanted Elite, Deadly, and Dangerous ships, prioritizing them in the order. When you hit Deadly, only those ranked ships count toward your rank. Avoid fighting wings if possible, and if not, only engage wings you think you can reasonably beat by yourself. For instance, I see a lot of Federal Assault Ships with two Eagle wingmates, those are pretty easy especially if you focus the Eagles first.

Also Elite Eagles CAN spawn but are pretty rare. Definitely take out the easier ships of those high ranks if you just care about grinding rank.

If the enemy uses ship launched fighters, unless your ship is really light and mobile, they usually aren't worth trying to chase. Just focus the mothership.

I moved over to Jameson Memorial in Founders World now, and set all my ships to deliver there last night. Having access to every ship and module in one place is NICE. My next goal is a combat ready Cutter. I need to grind Imperial Navy and get more credits for outfitting. I have about 280 mil right now, and the Cutter was around 190 mil at Jameson Memorial. I assume insurance cost is still calculated from the FULL price value of the ship?

On another topic, I got the CH Pro Pedals about a month ago, but now they have started going weird on the reads of the input. My suspicion is dirt, dust, or cat hair got in there since they are under my desk... Where my feet would be. Anyone know how to clean them out without voiding my warranty? It's kind of disappointing that they fail this easily.

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
For combat, the way that sped it up for me was taking my FDL out to a Hazardous RES in Gende (extremely close to a station) and killing only wanted Elite, Deadly, and Dangerous ships, prioritizing them in the order. When you hit Deadly, only those ranked ships count toward your rank. Avoid fighting wings if possible, and if not, only engage wings you think you can reasonably beat by yourself. For instance, I see a lot of Federal Assault Ships with two Eagle wingmates, those are pretty easy especially if you focus the Eagles first.

Also Elite Eagles CAN spawn but are pretty rare. Definitely take out the easier ships of those high ranks if you just care about grinding rank.

If the enemy uses ship launched fighters, unless your ship is really light and mobile, they usually aren't worth trying to chase. Just focus the mothership.

I moved over to Jameson Memorial in Founders World now, and set all my ships to deliver there last night. Having access to every ship and module in one place is NICE. My next goal is a combat ready Cutter. I need to grind Imperial Navy and get more credits for outfitting. I have about 280 mil right now, and the Cutter was around 190 mil at Jameson Memorial. I assume insurance cost is still calculated from the FULL price value of the ship?

On another topic, I got the CH Pro Pedals about a month ago, but now they have started going weird on the reads of the input. My suspicion is dirt, dust, or cat hair got in there since they are under my desk... Where my feet would be. Anyone know how to clean them out without voiding my warranty? It's kind of disappointing that they fail this easily.

Those are some good tips, thanks!

I think I'll finish collecting guardian modules (I want FSD booster, but have materials for some other modules too) for planned exploration trip to complete my Explorer Elite rank.

Then I'll try to finish Combat Elite rank. Have a nice FdL and combat Anaconda ready for this.

My homeworld is on the Groombridge 34, hi-tech world, the station is close to the star. I thought about relocating stuff to Founders world, but ended up flying to Li Yong systems for 15% discount anyway (I'm greedy).

Don't have much time for this game now, playing Destiny 2 a lot, but eager to come back.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day, Trading Elite rank was easily obtainable doing Robigo or Sothis runs stacking multiple delivery missions. That's how I've got mine and 2 billion credits on the way.
I miss Robigo runs and don't get why they had to nerf that into Oblivion. If you got scanned you lost all undelivered missions anyway, so that resulted in a lot of wasted time: something FD loves. It was high risk high reward and a lot of fun.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to do Imperial Navy grind and getting sent on missions to stations in systems that are 200k+ Ls away from the star you arrive in is really aggravating. I've just had one that was over 500k so I locked the camera front and center and played my Switch. Unless your game is Microsoft Flight Simulator, I feel like this is a failure in game design when literally all you can do is just sit the screen there and wait for a while.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Trying to do Imperial Navy grind and getting sent on missions to stations in systems that are 200k+ Ls away from the star you arrive in is really aggravating. I've just had one that was over 500k so I locked the camera front and center and played my Switch. Unless your game is Microsoft Flight Simulator, I feel like this is a failure in game design when literally all you can do is just sit the screen there and wait for a while.
Probably the fastest and most efficient (and most tedious) way to grind Imperial Navy ranks is doing courier runs between outposts in Ngalinn - Mainani systems.
The outposts (so no large pad) in those systems always have courier missions for eachother and are pretty close to the main star, 800-900ls.

But again, extremely tedious.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the fastest and most efficient (and most tedious) way to grind Imperial Navy ranks is doing courier runs between outposts in Ngalinn - Mainani systems.
The outposts (so no large pad) in those systems always have courier missions for eachother and are pretty close to the main star, 800-900ls.

But again, extremely tedious.
I might have to do that, probably switch to my Asp.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I ground out Imperial rank doing courier runs. But it is hard to over emphasise how tedious it becomes.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I ground out Imperial rank doing courier runs. But it is hard to over emphasise how tedious it becomes.
I've just been stacking any and most missions that contain Rep+++ (3 pluses or more) that that's worked out, but yeah, still tedious given some of the systems I have had to go to. I need to grab my Asp and go to Ngalinn/Mainani. I'm doing these missions in my Anaconda right now.

I tried to take a massacre missions, one that was even meant for solo players, and I had to kill 30 of them. They were Deadly Federal Corvettes, and as soon as I dropped their shields, those motherfuckers just ran away and I couldn't catch them. I knew at that point there was no way in hell I would get 30 of those, so I abandoned the mission.

Glad to see that FD still loves wasting your time for little to no reward.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Reward vs. time spent is a little fucked.

A week ago on Sunday I set off on a round trip going Shinrarta Dezhra -> Colonia -> Sag A* -> Shinrarta Dezhra.
Which is ~60k ly in a 60ly jump range Anaconda.

On my way I scanned every single system, many of which were undiscovered.

This took me a whole week, only getting back yesterday afternoon.

Sold all my exploration data for ~300 million (also got Elite in exploration, yay).

If I spent all that time mining I could have gotten ten times that, easily.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So over the last couple weeks I started getting obsessed with this game again. I had about 140 hours in it since 2018 but never accomplished much and decided to start fresh.
So glad I did. Bought a Mk.III Cobra because I wasn't sure what I wanted to pursue. Decided I wanted to try my hand at mining because I'd never done it before and used all my disposable income on a Keelback and core-mining equipment.
I found a nice quiet little corner at the edge of Empire space with pristine void opal and low-temp diamond hotspots with no commander traffic.
First time ever breaking the cardinal rule of flying without insurance I mess up my first core-asteroid blast yield and barely escape the detonation - the shockwave took me down to 9%.
Survived it and just dumped 32 tons of diamonds for a cool 15 mil profit. Considering flipping the Keelback for a better mining ship. Suggestions?
Also thanks to HylianSeven for keeping this thread going and piquing my interest in the game again.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Rex_DX I would suggest the Asp Ex if you enjoy core mining. A fully A-rated one will set you back around 25 mil. Great view, good mobility inside the rocks, great hardpoint placement (put all abrasion blasters in the small slots and you'll never miss), plus just enough cargo space to keep you going before you get bored.

Also respect for starting over. I've considered it many times, but have never been able to muster the courage. Imagine it must be very liberating, so instead I've just been buying the smaller stock ships again and learning how to fly FF off for a change of pace.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never be able to start over, lol. I've got Elite in exploration, my own personal armada including an Anaconda. All of the checkboxes are ticked that I set for myself when I started all those years ago.

I logged on a few times in the last few weeks. I'm still out in the black, and will be for quite a while, I think.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Thanks Love Machine i will checkout the AspX. Never really messed with non-combat ships before.
Jedi2016 the restart is actually amazing - but I get why you wouldn't do it. I had a decent ship collection and was just beginning to look into engineering. But now that I'm scrounging for credits and not just overspending on parts like money is no object it's a nice feeling. Makes the galaxy seem even bigger if that makes sense.

I never really gave 3.3 a proper shake and I'm glad I came back. I've also been playing in VR with a HOTAS running a custom control script that has everything from an auto launch sequence (lift off 30m, pips to engines, landing gear up) button, an escape vector button (hardpoints retract, fire ECMs, high-wake out) etc on the hotas.
Coupled with Oculus Dash which allows me to have a media player in the cockpit (VLC for music/podcasts) and a big screen on my left which I keep Inara/EDDB open in or Netflix for long-haul trips, I feel like it's a totally new game so the restart was a great idea.

Sidenote - using a HOTAS with scripts, a VR headset, AND Oculus dash while running a game is what people should mean when they say PC gaming is too complicated. 😇

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back into this on ps4. Tried out core mining in my cobra, made 12 million in 2 hrs, had fun blowing apart asteroids, think this is the first time I've enjoyed an elite game since slave trading on frontier circa 25 yrs ago.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
A bit of news on Fleet Carriers

ANNOUNCEMENT - Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Announcement

Greetings Commanders, We're thrilled to announce that the first look at the upcoming Fleet Carrier update will be coming to your screens on Thursday, 2 April! Lead Server Developer, Dav Stott, and Game Designer, Luke Betterton, will join us on a special video to talk us through what these vast...

First look of the update will be a video on April 2.

Quick summary:

- Will cost 5 000 000 000 cr at launch
- Have 16 landing pads
- Use a new fuel resource, Tritium.
- 500ly max jump range, build up and cool down between jumps
- Players can set tariffs for goods bought/sold on their carrier

There will be a beta for PC on April 7, all platforms in May with the full release planned for June.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure what I would use it for, but I want one. I'll probably park it somewhere near my current home base (Earth), but I'll just carry my fleet with me otherwise.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like one for the 500ly range, nice for exploring and reaching systems on the galactic fringe which are unreachable today.

However, I don't have anywhere near $5,000,000,000 credits, even after playing for over six years, so sadly I don't see me ever being able to afford one of these.

Most likely just another feature I'll never be able to make use of, lol. I'd rather have the improved ice planets, oh well.

I wish they had smaller variants available to buy, like a frigate Fleet Carrier with only two or four pads instead of sixteen. Something for the people who didn't grind credits to enjoy.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they will have some kind of regular upkeep or you lose them. As I generally take month long breaks that sort of kills it for me.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

Fleet Carrier PC Beta on 4/7, consoles in May, launch in June.

I would like to know how they limit this, and it's kind of sad after the 5 years I have played the game that that is the first thing I want to know.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So jumping back in. Questions!

I never really used weapons or heatsinks and I am using the crab KBM bindings (which I got a long time ag) and voice attack. I had heatsinks in my voice attack but I didn't realize you need to mouseclick to extend hardpoints..then click again to shoot. Then I have to press a different button to retract..so:

1) How do I make this process easier?
2) How do I manage when I get a ship where I need weapons and heatsinks both? How do you switch between them?

Now playing with a friend, took us a bit but one of us was only able to find one in search and not other way around. I joined their group but we are so far away. What are our options? What can we actually do together instead of it being like like single instance?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Fleet Carriers are completely worthless for explorers, no stellar cartography at all.

FDev is so disconnected from their own game. Their lack of vision is alarming.

I kind of think I'm done with Elite. I have very little faith the New Era, whatever it is, will have anything worthwhile for explorers anyway. And MS Flight Sim will be out by then. I think it's time I free up the hard drive space instead.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Fleet Carriers are completely worthless for explorers, no stellar cartography at all.

FDev is so disconnected from their own game. Their lack of vision is alarming.

I kind of think I'm done with Elite. I have very little faith the New Era, whatever it is, will have anything worthwhile for explorers anyway. And MS Flight Sim will be out by then. I think it's time I free up the hard drive space instead.
I'm actually really looking forward to MS Flight Sim...I can put all the equipment I've bought for Elite to use with it.

Now they just need to have MS Flight Sim support VR...

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So jumping back in. Questions!

I never really used weapons or heatsinks and I am using the crab KBM bindings (which I got a long time ag) and voice attack. I had heatsinks in my voice attack but I didn't realize you need to mouseclick to extend hardpoints..then click again to shoot. Then I have to press a different button to retract..so:

1) How do I make this process easier?
2) How do I manage when I get a ship where I need weapons and heatsinks both? How do you switch between them?

Now playing with a friend, took us a bit but one of us was only able to find one in search and not other way around. I joined their group but we are so far away. What are our options? What can we actually do together instead of it being like like single instance?
First of all, I recommend you check through your key binds, maybe in full, or at least each time you come across a new feature.
You can remap absolutely everything to your liking.

With that said, in response to your Qs:
1) There's a controls option that says "Firing deploys hardpoints" which may help streamline this for you.
2) Weapons go on your ship's hard points, while heatsinks go in the utility slots. These are completely separate, with different key bindings, etc. The only thing they share is the ship's available power.

For playing with friends in the same instance, you have two options:
1. Play in "Open"
2. Play in "Private Group"

For both of these, you'll need to travel to the same system, and "drop" into the same point of interest. This could be a station, a planet's atmosphere, a mission target, etc. If you're "online" friends (i.e. using Steam, PS4 ID, Gamer Tag, etc.) then you should form a Wing in-game. Then it'll prioritise putting you both together in the same instance.

Even when playing in different instances/game modes at different times, you can create an in-game squadron in order to work towards a group cause, but this is kind of just for roleplay and inter-squad leaderboards. You could also both join the same Power Play group, or Player Minor Faction to contribute to a larger cause. Although at the end of the day, being very far apart will limit what you can both effectively contribute towards.

Recommend one of you makes a trip, or you meet in the middle! Because playing together in a wing is definitely one of this game's more rewarding factors.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I looked in my controls and wondering why majority don't even have keybindings but either blank or an ON/OFF choice. Also why can't I search through options? (I mean we can't even save plotted paths lol). Like somehow mouselook got stuck on and it is obviously not middle click or something..in options it just says on or off and invert choices. Nothing about a keybinding.

I joined his group and his private session but nothing about wingmen popped up. Just wondering what we do to be on same mission/page when we do meet up. Squads cost 10mil?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot more than what was originally planned and yet you're still somehow underwhelmed?

Yes I am "somehow" underwhelmed, I guess I'm just amazing like that. What they had originally planned was incredibly sparse so its possible for it to be more than what was originally planned and still be underwhelming. The game has a crippling content problem and having so little to show for so much dev time is, at the risk of belaboring the point, underwhelming. A largely uninteractive mobile space station hardly adds much to the game. The tedium of mining its special fuel and sorting out its upkeep doesnt endear it to me either. So yes, "somehow", almost magically perhaps, underwhelmed.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The big question I would put forth is: What do they actually do? I mean, what new experiences or gameplay do they open up for us? Or is it just a time/money sink? Is there a practical reason why I would want to own one? Particularly as I am, like Mengy, primarily an explorer.

On a more detailed level, my question regarding upkeep would be whether or not a carrier could be made self-sufficient. If I don't play for two months, has the carrier, through its interactions with NPCs in my off time, made enough money to cover its own operating costs? If I set up commodity trading, or ship outfitting, etc, will it be able to replenish its own supplies? Even if I play every day, but I'm on the other side of the galaxy, will I still have to handle all of the logistics myself? Which also brings up the question of what I'm paying the carrier's crew for if they're unable to do something as simple as replenishing inventory without my help.