• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I just hope they go back to hand drawn Whammies the CG Whammies for that revival in the 2000s despite being better detailed lacked the charm of the original.

latest
latest

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I loved this show when I was a kid. Probably the only game show I liked and it was all about the Whammys.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch if the make the board patterns are easily identifiable and someone exploits the hell out of it again.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I'll watch if the make the board patterns easily identifiable and someone exploits the hell out of it again.

I think even in the Ricky Lake mini-revival/game show special that the board was computer randomized. No need for twelve different patterns (or whatever it was) in this day and age.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I think even in the Ricky Lake mini-revival/game show special that the board was computer randomized. No need for twelve different patterns (or whatever it was) in this day and age.

Apparently it was 5. Come on pattern programmer, be lazy. It will make for better TV!

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Apparently it was 5. Come on pattern programmer, be lazy. It will make for better TV!
It's actually much easier to make it completely random as opposed to creating distinct sequences that give it the appearance of being random.

Well, it may not have been during the original show's airing, but it certainly is now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a limited series? It kinda feels like a waste of Banks if she's expected to do it for more than a few weeks/months.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is this a limited series? It kinda feels like a waste of Banks if she's expected to do it for more than a few weeks/months.
I'd imagine it's a similar set up to what Alec Baldwin gets for Match Game. They only do like 13 episodes a year and they do a couple weeks with a few back-to-backs so that they're all banked and ready. Game shows are evergreen so you can air 'em whenever.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the days of sitting in front of the old floor model television hoping for the absolute failure of the contestants, just so I could see the Whammies. Kinda disturbing when I look back on it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty cool, because so few women get the chance to host a gameshow, especially one with the prestige of Press Your Luck.

Huh, I hadn't really thought of that for US gameshows - I see plenty of women hosting high-profile gameshows here in the UK, but off the top of my head I can't really think of many from the US. Hollywood Game Night and at least one era of US WWTBAM are the only ones I'm aware of.

Whereas here in the UK? Just off the top of my head in terms of currently running series we've got QI, Question of Sport, Top Class, the latest iteration of Fifteen To One, our version of Hollywood Game Night, Only Connect, Strictly Come Dancing...

OP
OP
EvilChameleon

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Huh, I hadn't really thought of that for US gameshows - I see plenty of women hosting high-profile gameshows here in the UK, but off the top of my head I can't really think of many from the US. Hollywood Game Night and at least one era of US WWTBAM are the only ones I'm aware of.

Our version of The Chase was hosted by Brooke Burns. And as mentioned earlier in the thread, Ricki Lake hosted the "Gameshow Marathon" which was celebrities playing games for charity, but that's about it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Banks lowkey is one of the hardest working women in hollywood

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
So a special premier aired last night while it was good the bonus round needs to go. It lasted almost as long as the actual show.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it was basically the old version. Whammies were also animated just like the old show.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe they'll do something worth watching here, but it seems like a serious waste of her talent.

Yeah, this kinda feels like, "I'm getting old by Hollywood standards, so I'm only getting offered Mom roles unless I write or direct something myself, so why not take the giant check to host a game show." After all, she's the same age as Olivia Coleman & Amy Adams.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Cool, Press Your Luck was a fav of mine as a kid, obviously because of the Whammies, hope they go back to the 2D animated ones.

I have no idea what this is. Just bring back Supermarket Sweep.
I was thinking about this a week or two ago actually, a modern revamp could be interesting. Like having the partner be responsible for scoring by using self checkout for the collected stuff. Only issue might be that the shoppers would be coming back more frequently but the person waiting should be doing something more than cheering.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I really liked the premiere yesterday. Surprisingly tense anticipating those Whammies.

I also had no idea that this was an old show.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I also had no idea that this was an old show.

The original ran from 1983 to 1986. There was a guy on the original version once who realized that there were safe spots on the board that never had Whammies and always had free turns AND that the marker that went to each square wasn't really random. The board had a fix number of patterns that the squares would light up in. He studied the board and lights for months and finally got a spot on the show. He ended up spinning over 100 times and won over $100,000.

Oct 25, 2017
The original ran from 1983 to 1986. There was a guy on the original version once who realized that there were safe spots on the board that never had Whammies and always had free turns AND that the marker that went to each square wasn't really random. The board had a fix number of patterns that the squares would light up in. He studied the board and lights for months and finally got a spot on the show. He ended up spinning over 100 times and won over $100,000.
How does one designing a game that prints out tens of thousands of dollars not make sure to make it exploit-proof?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
How does one designing a game that prints out tens of thousands of dollars not make sure to make it exploit-proof?

I guess they didn't think anyone would pay such close attention to it. There were five or six patterns that he had to completely memorize and he had to have perfect timing to hit the squares he wanted.

OP
OP
EvilChameleon

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You can tell she is having a blast hosting this. Hosting a gameshow is probably one of the most fun things you can go.