• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It was supposed to rain all day today, but didn't rain a drop until the show started. My TV has been out most of the time, so far.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The bonus round takes WAY too long and brings the pace of the show to a screeching halt. The show's very good, but Banks is wasted here. Get that paycheck, girl... but you're better than this. Give me that Power Rangers sequel, dammit.

tumblr_orkbzmxpXV1s7xfipo1_400.gif

OP
OP
EvilChameleon

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
"better than this"
"stuck on a gameshow"

There's this show on CBS that's been running for 47 seasons, perhaps you've heard of it, it's called The Price Is Right. People will be jumping at the chance to host it once Drew retires.

And also, again, it's super rare for a woman to be the host of a gameshow in the United States. This isn't some ho hum job.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they didn't think anyone would pay such close attention to it. There were five or six patterns that he had to completely memorize and he had to have perfect timing to hit the squares he wanted.

Looking at this story, and what eventually happened to him was interesting. Mostly because, he died in 1999 at the age of 49. Making him 34 years old in this video. Aging is mysterious.

Missed the show, though, hope it was decent, I grew up on Press Your Luck.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
These last couple of years of ABC trying to revive all these game shows has actually really surprised me with how much they try and stay faithful to the originals, even down to stuff like set designs and sound effects. Press Your Luck might be one of the biggest examples of this, with the exception of the addition of the bonus round, which seems unnecessarily drawn-out and loses all the head-to-head competitive aspect that made finales in the original PYL so interesting. Seeing the view on the final spin, knowing that the result of this one press is going to decide things one way or the other, was really cool. Now they do that.....and then there's somehow still another 20 minutes of show left.

I wonder why they felt like they needed to stretch this out to being an hour long. 30 minutes for two rounds was fine, or if they wanted to make it an hour they should go through a third round of the board and find a way to up the stakes that way. Banks at least provides good energy but the pacing of things does seem odd now.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The original ran from 1983 to 1986. There was a guy on the original version once who realized that there were safe spots on the board that never had Whammies and always had free turns AND that the marker that went to each square wasn't really random. The board had a fix number of patterns that the squares would light up in. He studied the board and lights for months and finally got a spot on the show. He ended up spinning over 100 times and won over $100,000.
How does one designing a game that prints out tens of thousands of dollars not make sure to make it exploit-proof?
I guess they didn't think anyone would pay such close attention to it. There were five or six patterns that he had to completely memorize and he had to have perfect timing to hit the squares he wanted.

Random Number Generation has come a long way since the eighties. I wonder if the new show uses true randomization or if it's still pattern based.

Also, not Michael's fault. It's all on them. Shame he died so young too.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like it, Elizabeth is great here! I don't remember the bonus round though, was this always there? I don't think it was and dislike it

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
This show just brought back the memory that Peter Tomarken is gone. :/

But I missed this reboot tonight because of the Stanley Cup game. I bet it'll be On Demand though later this week, so I'm looking forward to seeing it!

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I like it, Elizabeth is great here! I don't remember the bonus round though, was this always there? I don't think it was and dislike it

No, both the original and the GSN versions of the show were a half an hour. The "bonus round" pads the show out and allows the audience to form a connection to the winner.

OP
OP
EvilChameleon

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

BuzzerBlog
@buzzerblog

Press Your Luck, Card Sharks, and Match Game were all 2nd place (behind Game 7) last night. Press Your Luck beat Amazing Race in the demo (0.9/5 vs 0.8/4) and total viewers (4.88M vs 4.62). Card Sharks at 0.94/4.40M, Match Game at 0.8/4 and 3.88M. Good results!