• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

Sen. Elizabeth Warren released a plan on Thursday aimed at protecting the rights of LGBTQ Americans, many of whose livelihoods hang in the balance as they await the Supreme Court's decision in three landmark discrimination cases.

The detailed, 12-page plan includes the creation of a new program to fight violence against transgender women of color; a nationwide ban on conversion therapy; and public manufacture of PrEP, a medication that dramatically reduces the risk of contracting HIV. It also includes support for legislation like the Equality Act, a bill that would ban discrimination against LGBTQ people in the workplace and elsewhere.

Warren was not the only candidate to release a plan around LGBTQ rights ahead of a CNN town hall on the issue Thursday night. South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, the first openly gay candidate running for a major-party presidential nomination, also released a plan, which includes a mentorship program for LGBTQ youth modeled on President Obama's My Brother's Keeper initiative. The two join other current and former 2020 candidates, including Beto O'Rourke and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, in rolling out plans specifically aimed at protecting the rights of LGBTQ people.

The plans don't encompass all the reforms that some LGBTQ rights advocates have been calling for in recent years. They don't, for instance, include calls to repeal FOSTA-SESTA, federal legislation aimed at reducing sex trafficking that many say has instead had the effect of driving up violence against trans women of color. They also don't include pledges to decriminalize sex work, though Warren writes in her plan that she is open to decriminalization.

A lot more at the link including comparisons.

I like Buttigieg's youth mentorship plan ideas but warrens is more comprehensive. We need these implemented. Tell your friends and family that if they love LGBTQ people they will support candidates that will fight to protect them.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
"The detailed, 12-page plan includes the creation of a new program to fight violence against transgender women of color; a nationwide ban on conversion therapy; and public manufacture of PrEP, a medication that dramatically reduces the risk of contracting HIV. It also includes support for legislation like the Equality Act, a bill that would ban discrimination against LGBTQ people in the workplace and elsewhere."

5cB.gif

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
People say a lot in these threads that she needs to work harder to get the good will of PoC but every single one of her rallies, plans, and social media exposures have her detailing ways she will fight for PoC and you even see that here

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
public manufacture of PrEP
If CA's experiment goes well this may not even be necessary, which would be great.
People say a lot in these threads that she needs to work harder to get the good will of PoC but every single one of her rallies, plans, and social media exposures have her detailing ways she will fight for PoC and you even see that here
People keep taking the wrong lessons from 2016. Black voters are not immovable- they shifted heavily in '08/'04. Just not '16. And the recent polling shows that Warren's support among black voters is rising significantly in parallel to her overall support.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully she means it when she says she's open to decriminalization of sex work. Especially after voting for FOSTA-SESTA

Last edited:

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i'm ignorant on the subject, is violence amongst PoC trans higher than white trans? If so why?

A.M.

Community Resettler
Last edited:
OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
i'm ignorant on the subject, is violence amongst PoC trans higher than white trans? If so why?

I can't sophisticatedly comment on the sociological forces for why it happens, but yes that is the case.

As Warren says in her policy email she just sent out:
"At least 19 trans people have been killed just this year — almost all of whom were Black trans women: Dana Martin. Jazzaline Ware. Ashanti Carmon. Claire Legato. Muhlaysia Booker. Michelle 'Tamika' Washington. Paris Cameron. Chynal Lindsey. Chanel Scurlock. Zoe Spears. Brooklyn Lindsey. Denali Berries Stuckey. Kiki Fantroy. Pebbles LaDime 'Dime' Doe. Tracy Single. Bailey Reeves. Bee Love Slater. Elisha Stanley. And Johana Medina, Layleen Polanco, and Ja'leyah-Jamar should be alive today."

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't sophisticatedly comment on the sociological forces for why it happens, but yes that is the case.

As Warren says in her policy email she just sent out:
"At least 19 trans people have been killed just this year — almost all of whom were Black trans women: Dana Martin. Jazzaline Ware. Ashanti Carmon. Claire Legato. Muhlaysia Booker. Michelle 'Tamika' Washington. Paris Cameron. Chynal Lindsey. Chanel Scurlock. Zoe Spears. Brooklyn Lindsey. Denali Berries Stuckey. Kiki Fantroy. Pebbles LaDime 'Dime' Doe. Tracy Single. Bailey Reeves. Bee Love Slater. Elisha Stanley. And Johana Medina, Layleen Polanco, and Ja'leyah-Jamar should be alive today."

Wow, that's crazy. If I had to guess it would be more they were targetted for being black than trans, but I doubt being trans puts anyone in a good spot in America right now in regards to violence ect.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I really don't know why there hasn't already been a blanket ban on conversation therapy

those places wreck peoples lives

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know why there hasn't already been a blanket ban on conversation therapy

those places wreck peoples lives

Ignorance + Evangelicals I'm guessing.

Most people don't know these places exist and where they do exist the people opposed are outnumbered by bigoted religious people.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, she's always made PoC a focus of her fight. It's one of the reasons I've always been about her.

Hope her momentum continues into the White House (and I hope we flip the Senate, so she can actually implement these great ideas)

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
"The detailed, 12-page plan includes the creation of a new program to fight violence against transgender women of color; a nationwide ban on conversion therapy; and public manufacture of PrEP, a medication that dramatically reduces the risk of contracting HIV. It also includes support for legislation like the Equality Act, a bill that would ban discrimination against LGBTQ people in the workplace and elsewhere."

5cB.gif
Kind of wish they could add some kind of protection for people who already have it. People who are HIV+ but undetectable are at risk of being thrown in jail due to non disclosure laws. Even when they still disclose their status.