• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my fellow Americans can't wrap their heads around the idea of doing things that benefit the greater society and not themselves personally. It's an intentional effect of the supreme fetishization of the individualism in the US.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Also, nobody should get free healthcare because I had to pay for a really expensive surgery a few years back. I had no idea we'd get free healthcare years later!"
Exactly.

The system should stay shitty because I got fucked by it, so everyone else should too. Time for some self reflection when that's what you're arguing.
Seriously. Maybe calling it "Fuck you, got mine" is inaccurate, but instead lets call it "I got fucked, so should you". Really doesn't sound any better.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't plan on having kids (people in massive debt now should probably reflect on this life decision too). If higher education even works like this in 18 years I'll be surprised. This policy doesn't negatively impact me, never said it did.

I went to a community college I could afford, budgeted tuition and living expenses against income, and paid my credit cards off each month. That is objectively more responsible than accumulating debt.

Edit:

To clarify, I never went into debt getting my degree.

Good for you. That does not make anyone else irresponsible though. Which is the point I'm trying to make here.

If your only justification is that you should be rewarded because youve seemed yourself responsible as opposed to the masses who should have been better with their money...you're just a crab man.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Many people did the same thing but still accumulated debt
Many people probably also didn't have the same resources as you did in terms of managing debt, choosing which loans to take, and hell even planning which schools to go to

So you believe that paying off loans early and then having loan forgiveness offered is the same as paying full price for a console at launch when you could get it cheaper by waiting? Because that's what the post I was replying to said.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Good stuff, but I'd argue that universal healthcare should be the #1 first thing tackled from any money that "rethinks" taxes on the wealthy in our country and has them paying an actual fair share- since healthcare effects literally everyone, their health, their paychecks and money they have to live/provide- which pretty much improves everyone's life/financial situation vastly.

Anything left after that though- definitely education reform should be on the table.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic policy idea. Student loan debt is a crisis (1.3 trillion dollars total in student loan debt!) and this kind of drastic solution is needed at this point. Stuff like this shows why it's important that Warren stays in the race, it pressures other candidates from their left flank.

Also, LMAO at the people saying, "well this doesn't help ME". Ok, so what? It helps millions of Americans. If you can't get behind that then you aren't an ally. Plain and simple.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever plan on having kids then this would benefit you as well. The only way this has no benefit to you is if:
1. You have already paid off your student loan debt/never had student loan debt in the first place
2. Your significant other has paid off their student loan debt/never had student loan debt in the first place
3. You do not have children and never plan on having any children
4. You can never forsee yourself going back to school

In which case this policy does not negatively impact you in any way either.

That's not true, as the money spent paying back student loans could have been invested or used as a down payment towards a home. Allowing you to be further along in life and more financially secured. Personally, I made my peace with it a few years ago but there was a time when I resented the idea having paid back a boatload in student loans.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren isn't even offering full loan forgiveness it's just 50k what is wrong you people who are mad about this

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
ANDDDDD there it is everyone.

Six pages in and this is why this will never fly. A combination of "what about me" and "I got fucked so should you".

I've heard these arguments in real life.

Honestly, don't even run on this.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of my fellow Americans can't wrap their heads around the idea of doing things that benefit the greater society and not themselves personally. It's an intentional effect of the supreme fetishization of the individualism in the US.

Pretty much this. It's really hard to pound it into people's head that doing something that might benefit someone else might actually have a net positive effect, rising tide lifts all boats, etc.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true as the money spent paying back student loans could have been invested or used as a down payment towards a home. Allowing you to be further along in life and more financially secured. Personally I made my peace with it a few years ago but there was a time when I resented the idea having paid back a boatload in student loans.
Do you want Warren to propose a time machine to help you invest earlier?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
$50k would wipe out the rest of my student loans. Yes please. Hell, half of that would.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't plan on having kids (people in massive debt now should probably reflect on this life decision too). If higher education even works like this in 18 years I'll be surprised. This policy doesn't negatively impact me, never said it did.

I went to a community college I could afford, budgeted tuition and living expenses against income, and paid my credit cards off each month. That is objectively more responsible than accumulating debt.

Edit:

To clarify, I never went into debt getting my degree.
If it doesn't harm you in any way but helps other Americans, what good reason do you have not to support it? I don't use welfare/unemployment/food stamps, but I support those policies because they help people who do need them.

As for the bolded point, there are a significant number of degrees that simply aren't offered at a community college. What you are suggesting worked great for you, but is not possible for everyone. For most, accumulating debt is necessary.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
"Also, nobody should get free healthcare because I had to pay for a really expensive surgery a few years back. I had no idea we'd get free healthcare years later!"

It's more like, my mom mortgaged her house to pay for my operation because I was going to die, but we could have just had the surgery in the emergency room and keep it as debt because it was going to be forgiven anyway.

I think everyone is fine with the whole "going forward, tuition is free" thing, which is an even playing field, it's the debt forgiveness that has people a bit salty.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Many people did the same thing but still accumulated debt
Many people probably also didn't have the same resources as you did in terms of managing debt, choosing which loans to take, and hell even planning which schools to go to

Well, you see the way i planned my education...

Oh, so you're talking from a position of absolute ignorance, got it

Okay, nevermind.

Good for you. That does not make anyone else irresponsible though. Which is the point I'm trying to make here.

If your only justification is that you should be rewarded because youve seemed yourself responsible as opposed to the masses who should have been better with their money...you're just a crab man.

Okay, I took my share of the dogpile in this thread. My initial post was focused solely on the "Fuck you, got mine" mantra going on in here. I've said my peace, I'm squared away.

And I never even said this was a bad idea or I didn't support it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not true, as the money spent paying back student loans could have been invested or used as a down payment towards a home. Allowing you to be further along in life and more financially secured. Personally, I made my peace with it a few years ago but there was a time when I resented the idea having paid back a boatload in student loans.
...yes, your student loans impacted you, but THIS SPECIFIC POLICY IN NO WAY NEGATIVELY IMPACTS YOU. It doesn't directly HELP you if you've already paid your loans, but it doesn't HARM you either. This policy is not the reason you had student loans in the first place.

Oct 29, 2017
"But what about ME" posts are the reason why the country is in the state it's in. No, you living with 5 stinky roommates after graduation is not a national economic crisis. $1.5 motherfucking trillion in student loan debt is. Put things into perspective, goddamn.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's more like, my mom mortgaged her house to pay for my operation because I was going to die, but we could have just had the surgery in the emergency room and keep it as debt because it was going to be forgiven anyway.

I think everyone is fine with the whole "going forward, tuition is free" thing, which is an even playing field, it's the debt forgiveness that has people a bit salty.

Yes, but the salt ignores all the reward and benefit for systemic student debt cancellation. Even if you paid off your loans, you will benefit from this even if there wasn't a tax credit for you. The economy is going to boom if debt is cancelled. This generation will be able to afford to spend and buy houses like never before, start small businesses like never before, invest like never before, and become educated like never before (like people who skip grad or medical school because of huge undergraduate debt), leading to a stronger, wealthier middle class.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Isn't this a little like buying votes? Like yeah if you give me 50 grand I'll vote for you? I'm not saying that student loans aren't enormous and a huge problem, but people here seem to be saying this is a good idea mainly because it directly affects them.
Has it ever been any other way? All the single issue voters that voted for Trump voted because of this same reasoning.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
The people crying "what about me" are so pathetic and part of the reason we can't get anything done in this country

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Which is completely irrational and selfish.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine to ask for it, but there are some people here saying it shouldn't be done at all if they aren't included.
And the focus has been put on those select few because they're more easily dismissed for their unjust position (if I get nothing to relieve prior burdens, no one gets anything!), rather than defending the unjust position you and others (you get nothing to relieve prior burdens but it's okay because you're not made even worse off, how fortunate!) have put forth.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...yes, your student loans impacted you, but THIS SPECIFIC POLICY IN NO WAY NEGATIVELY IMPACTS YOU. It doesn't directly HELP you if you've already paid your loans, but it doesn't HARM you either. This policy is not the reason you had student loans in the first place.

Would you be against a policy that in addition to offering loan forgiveness, offered reimbursements for the amounts paid for loans in the past few years (subject to the same limitations as this policy)?

It wouldn't harm you and in no way negatively impacts you.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the focus has been put on those select few because they're more easily dismissed for their unjust position (if I get nothing to relieve prior burdens, no one gets anything!), rather than defending the unjust position you and others (you get nothing to relieve prior burdens but it's okay because you're not made even worse off, how fortunate!) have put forth.
I wouldn't be mad if there's reimbursement but it shouldn't be a priority or necessity

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What percentage of people with student loan debt is actually "struggling"? My guess is 10-20%. I hope those people get help, I really do. But I'd much rather write 50k checks to homeless people and single black mothers. The amount of passion that this thread is generating seems to be because this is a giant check to middle class Gen Z white kids.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm behind this 1000%. I have a good friend who is drowning in debt from an animation degree through Sanford Brown- an organization that no longer exists. It's to the point they are garnishing his wages.

Keep in mind, he can't get a job in his field because he'd have to move to Florida or California. Granted, animation probably wasn't the best choice for a degree - but he is essentially trapped in a cycle of:

He had to move back in with his parents, who also aren't well off and work at a gas station. He can't save up enough money to gey his own place, makes barely enough to make minimum payments on his student loan debt, rinse repeat.

And then they want to garnish his wages because he can't pay it off fast enough? Screw that. Anyone who is against this can go pound sand with the rest of the "fuck you, I got mine" assholes.

As for how they're going to pay for it- like everything else if corporations paid their fair share then it wouldn't be an issue.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
What percentage of people with student loan debt is actually "struggling"? My guess is 10-20%. I hope those people get help, I really do. But I'd much rather write 50k checks to homeless people and single black mothers. The amount of passion that this thread is generating seems to be because this is a giant check to middle class Gen Z white kids.
Why don't we do both

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you be against a policy that in addition to offering loan forgiveness, offered reimbursements for the amounts paid for loans in the past few years (subject to the same limitations as this policy)?

It wouldn't harm you and in no way negatively impacts you.
Of course not, if feasible that policy sounds great. I support pretty much any policy that involves the government providing assistance to those who need it though. I would be in favor of UBI as well.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of student loans would me amazing. I'd even settle for removing interest from the original tuition cost.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Isn't this a little like buying votes? Like yeah if you give me 50 grand I'll vote for you? I'm not saying that student loans aren't enormous and a huge problem, but people here seem to be saying this is a good idea mainly because it directly affects them.

Isn't promising jobs or tax cuts or farm subsidies vote buying by your logic?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Most people vote because of direct self interests, often financial. When you vote because you want a tax policy that will tax you less, it's the same thing.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Even if she doesn't end up the nominee, Dems need to take this plan and run with it to the end. It's concepts like this that actually mean progress for our country (and the greater globe) instead of stagnation and backsliding.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
If she's serious about pushing this, I'm definitely paying attention now. This is something that needs to be done yesterday.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Like, yeah, it sucks that you were able to pay off your student loans before a debt forgiveness policy was implemented. It sucks that I had to pay off late fees from Blockbuster before the business shut down and Netflix came into my life. That's genuinely all we can say. Sucks that you had to struggle. Every prior generation has to struggle in ways that future generations won't have to. Through blood, sweat and tears, you paid off your debt. You should be happy that people won't have to share in your suffering. Otherwise, that's just revenge.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Exactly. This thread is full of middle/upper-class folks falling over themselves to claim money that could otherwise be used to help those who really need it and using the same trickle-down BS the rich use to justify their tax cuts.

Most people vote because of direct self interests, often financial. When you vote because you want a tax policy that will tax you less, it's the same thing.

As soon as they see those $$$, progressive values go out the window.

Fuck that shit. Tax me and my cohort more and help those who are actually starving or homeless.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"What about me?"

What about you is afraid of thousands of dollars a month being freed up from a family like mine to go back into the economy instead of spending the next several years paying back debt? What about when you need a treatment from a vocation that requires extremely expensive graduate level education, but nobody has that education because they don't want to take on the debt to do pay for it?

There are other systemic issues that need to be fixed with regard to the student debt crisis, but forgiveness isn't a bad step on our way to addressing the rest of it. 50k forgiveness would be huge for a family like mine where graduate education to become a clinician not making much more than before has saddled us with a ton of debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.