• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I don't see why the low-ball of "supporting marriage equality" is anything to actually celebrate. It's the absolute minimum of decency in 2019. It's actually pretty depressing to me that it's given a "yas-queen" shout-out here, and not just a head-nod of "yeah, sure, of course".

It's a nice little moment of sass and spunk for Warren, sure, and easily shareable as a meme, but it's also so depressing that this shit still has enough valence to be celebrated as some kind of win, when the actual LGBTQ+ conversation has moved into - I dunno, but let's say - trans-identity, asexual-identity and fully carving out a reality that isn't primarily made valid by marriage (but is strengthened from knowing that you could get married if you wanted to, as opposed to "alternative couplings" that historically was, to some degree, done in direct defiance to hetero-marriages, which was a big thing in queer life up to modern life, before "gay marriage" was a reality).

I also really don't like the split-second of diving into a southern drawl that the questioner does. I'm not american, but it feels beyond hack and tired to affect a southern US accent when you want to embody a regressive - or high-key "dumb" - opinion. If I'm tired of this, as a european outsider, I can't imagine how tired US people - many of who are queer, and live in the south - feel about this trope.

I don't mean to poo-poo on your Warren excitement, but this is only "savage" in the most washington-poli-chitter-chatter-kind-of-way.

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good shit. It blows my mind that people care so much with what other people do with their lives. Like people go out of their way to complain and protest who people should love. Imagine being that sad.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I also really don't like the split-second of diving into a southern drawl that the questioner does. I'm not american, but it feels beyond hack and tired to affect a southern US accent when you want to embody a regressive - or high-key "dumb" - opinion. If I'm tired of this, as a european outsider, I can't imagine how tired US people - many of who are queer, and live in the south - feel about this trope.
Morgan Cox lives in Texas bud.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
also really don't like the split-second of diving into a southern drawl that the questioner does. I'm not american, but it feels beyond hack and tired to affect a southern US accent when you want to embody a regressive - or high-key "dumb" - opinion. If I'm tired of this, as a european outsider, I can't imagine how tired US people - many of who are queer, and live in the south - feel about this trope.

Pretty sure that's his actual accent.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't see why the low-ball of "supporting marriage equality" is anything to actually celebrate. It's the absolute minimum of decency in 2019. It's actually pretty depressing to me that it's given a "yas-queen" shout-out here, and not just a head-nod of "yeah, sure, of course".

It's a nice little moment of sass and spunk for Warren, sure, and easily shareable as a meme, but it's also so depressing that this shit still has enough valence to be celebrated as some kind of win, when the actual LGBTQ+ conversation has moved into - I dunno, but let's say - trans-identity, asexual-identity and fully carving out a reality that isn't primarily made valid by marriage (but is strengthened from knowing that you could get married if you wanted to, as opposed to "alternative couplings" that historically was, to some degree, done in direct defiance to hetero-marriages, which was a big thing in queer life up to modern life, before "gay marriage" was a reality).

I don't mean to poo-poo on your Warren excitement, but this is only "savage" in the most washington-poli-chitter-chatter-kind-of-way.
Welcome to America. This is the reality we face and what Warren just did is a breath of fresh air even if it means we're a good decade behind where ever you live. Keep in mind that the party currently in charge of the country supports gay conversion therapy and banning people if they are gay based on "religious beliefs".

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

The supreme Court is currently having a debate on whether transgender people are human beings at the moment.

Many fucking southern morons(dipshits) voted for Trump to get their coal jobs back, and deny rights to the lgbtq+ community. It's what the GOP stands for. The vice president supports that weird therapy to de-gay people.

Nope, you're not from here. That's for sure. The world you're talking about doesn't exist right now in America. It's a win because that fight is not over at all.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Throughout her campaign she's addressed deeper concerns than simply Marriage
Her insta feed all day has been full of topical issues

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
yeah call me cynical or whatever but this is the same yas queen resistance shit that people were fawning over pelosi and hillary clinton for these past year. warren can do better - and she has been! - so I see no reason to make a huge deal out of this

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
That was the best kind of response—short and to the point. Most democrats would usually give a long-winded focus-tested overly rehearsed response to try not to rock the boat too much while having it both ways and appease the moderate base.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
yeah call me cynical or whatever but this is the same yas queen resistance shit that people were fawning over pelosi and hillary clinton for these past year. warren can do better - and she has been! - so I see no reason to make a huge deal out of this
What does this even mean? Do better? You can just admit your default is to hate her.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That the two posts complaining about this both immediately complain about "Yass Queen" and "don't see why this is a big deal" is not a coincidence.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
A nice change from the usual "try to walk that line" bullshit answer many politicians would have given in her place.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Pretty sure that's his actual accent.

You can lean into accented dialects for effects. I'm not talking about his general southern accent, but the dip he does when imagining the concerns of a southern person.

I have a southern accent in my own tongue that I can lean into for lazy, "hur-hur southern people are dumb effect" - which is what he does when giving voice to an imaginary anti-Warren voter whose main concern with queer issues is a soft-ball against gay marriage.

Like, it's fine as a clip, but it doesn't feel particularly savage - merely just common sense, at this point.

And at worse, the framing does a disservice to people from the US south that seem to have a pretty interesting and vibrant queer culture (at least when it comes to alternative drag. A lot of contestants from Dragula seem to come from the south, and their perspective has pretty consistently been very nuanced and interesting).

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Can't believe in this thread we're getting schooled by somebody from Sweden what actually is a Southern Draw. I'm out.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be said enough get out and V-O-T-E in your state's primary so we can make this happen. I think Liz has a pretty damn good chance at defeating Trump. Lets get her over the first hurdle.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can lean into accented dialects for effects. I'm not talking about his general southern accent, but the dip he does when imagining the concerns of a southern person.

I have a southern accent in my own tongue that I can lean into for lazy, "hur-hur southern people are dumb effect" - which is what he does when giving voice to an imaginary anti-Warren voter whose main concern with queer issues is a soft-ball against gay marriage.

Like, it's fine as a clip, but it doesn't feel particularly savage - merely just common sense, at this point.

And at worse, the framing does a disservice to people from the US south that seem to have a pretty interesting and vibrant queer culture (at least when it comes to alternative drag. A lot of contestants from Dragula seem to come from the south, and their perspective has pretty consistently been very nuanced and interesting).

Quit now before you embarrass yourself further. Just a friendly suggestion...

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be said enough get out and V-O-T-E in your state's primary so we can make this happen. I think Liz has a pretty damn good chance at defeating Trump. Lets get her over the first hurdle.

She can absolutely win against him. And her sense of humor matched with comedic timing is, by the way, something that voters look for in a candidate. She is funny. Genuine. Relatable. And in my opinion, most importantly, a woman. I hope she gets the nomination because she can and will win if she does.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

That savagery in the soundbite was amazing, but this full clip is excellent too. I really liked the way she tied the question into her faith growing up, pointing out the hypocrisy of many Christians, but speaking from a positive place that I think a lot of voters would connect and agree with.

Honestly, I know Trump has the support of many Christians due to the R next to his name, but he's not really a religious guy. There's probably some room to pull away at least some part of that demographic away from him, especially the more moderate ones.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Mean to whom?

Is mean gunna be a problem for taking on the orange pussy grabber?
(Some) white Christian males have very fragile egos, and I don't think they'll respond well to it.

I want to iterate that I don't think it's a problem. I just hadn't seen this side of Warren before.

I grew up around some Christian folks (leaning left) who would respond much better with the first part of the answer than the second part.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
(Some) white Christian males have very fragile egos, and I don't think they'll respond well to it.

I want to iterate that I don't think it's a problem. I just hadn't seen this side of Warren before.

I grew up around some Christian folks (leaning left) who would respond much better with the first part of the answer than the second part.
If you identify as Christian chances are you are voting for Trump anyway so honestly who cares what might offend them? If not pussy grabbing or kids in cages, I guess this?

I mean this is just basic human rights. Please explain the part that is offensive here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Lol. Fuck a Christian ego and leaning left with a literal fascist in office whose paying off strippers after he fucks them and is killing kids and families at the border, all while wanting to remove civil rights..

Tell them bye for me. The days of caring about white ego are a wrap with the next generation or so.

There's mass shootings even when u step on eggshells. Speaking of white males egos.

If that's something that will turn someone off at this stage in 2019. America deserves to be sold out by Republicans. 100%.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Dude seriously, what an answer. Mind your own business, do what you feel you need to do for your own faith. Forcing people to follow your beliefs isn't good for anyone, worry about your own self.

The issue is that people like that are told they have to. It's core to their being that they have to convert as many people over to their religion.

I'll take my mother in law for example, she's hardcore Evangelical Christian, we're not. She's told me that in her mind, her daughter is a failure because she's not her perfect little Christian daughter.

These people are in a fucked up pyramid scheme where they view it as their duty to God to convert as many people as possible.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

The only word during his impersonation of a voter that betrays a Southern accent is "my." However, there is no similar inflection on the word "I'm." When he says "old-fashioned" the vowels are particularly short, unlike a typical Southern accent. Meanwhile you can already hear goose-fronting in the words "approaches you" before he even starts the impersonation. So I don't see any "leaning" into anything. He has a subtle and inconsistent Texan accent.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God DAMN! I think I might volunteer for her campaign at this point.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
LOL That was the cadence of a straight up stand up joke. Absolutely love it. It should be that simple but the right is full of miserable & mediocre people who only find value in invading the lives of others and bringing them down to their level and lower to raise their own sense of superiority.