• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
The post I'm responding to has less to do about the plan and more about CAP being shady. Was that not obvious? Strange that people like Neera Tanden, CAP, and Third Way would dog Sanders at every turn, but suddenly, Liz's plan is good? Cmon.

It is probably true that Neera Tanden et al have personal grievances with Bernie that prevent them from judging him accurately, but it does not follow that the things they like must necessarily be bad. That is committing the same failing you accuse them of!

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also maybe CAP doesn't like Bernie much partially because of his policies but also partially because he called them out for smearing him through thinkprogress, despite thinkprogress being editorially independent from CAP until it shut down and Tanden herself saying the article in question was harsh and dumb.
Yeah maybe CAP is actually really good and Sanders is actually really stupid. Perfect, now we don't have to think about the implications!

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe CAP hates Warren and her plan but since Warren's up is trying to kneecap her on the polls by giving her plan the thumbs up knowing progressives will be turned of by that?

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
No. Bernie's plan is widely agreed to not pay for Medicare for All. Even Bernie agrees with it, since when asked about it he says "I don't want to do that right now" instead of "I already did that years ago."
I don't understand this argument. We as the population of the US already pay more than what we would pay under Medicare for All (as cited by two studies - even the Koch brothers funded study concluded it would net save us money). We pay for it through taxes, but an increase in taxes means we save money due to no longer having to pay for private insurance.

An abolishment of private insurance means a bunch of extra cash to pay for Medicare For All.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe CAP hates Warren and her plan but since Warren's up is trying to kneecap her on the polls by giving her plan the thumbs up knowing progressives will be turned of by that?
I can guarantee you the number of progressives that are turned off by CAP giving her plan a mild thumbs up on twitter (that were originally going to vote for her over bernie) is less than a thousand.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this argument. We as the population of the US already pay more than what we would pay under Medicare for All (as cited by two studies - even the Koch brothers funded study concluded it would net save us money). We pay for it through taxes, but an increase in taxes means we save money due to no longer having to pay for private insurance.

An abolishment of private insurance means a bunch of extra cash to pay for Medicare For All.

I mean, I'm not making an argument. As I said, Bernie does not say that his bill fully funds Medicare for All. He says he doesn't want to go into details. If you want to tell him he's wrong and actually it is fully funded, that's up to you.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I mean, I'm not making an argument. As I said, Bernie does not say that his bill fully funds Medicare for All. He says he doesn't want to go into details. If you want to tell him he's wrong and actually it is fully funded, that's up to you.
It's through taxes. Taxes aren't bad if they're letting you save money, which in this case it is. Private insurance as we know it right now is already costing us an amount that is greater than his plan would.

33 min in, you can even hear how the cost of this includes a transition of private insurance employees. Those near retirement get 2 years full pay and go into retirement. Retrainment support and relocation support. Executives get their pensions guaranteed (not sure if it includes everyone as I need to go back and rewatch the video to make sure).

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have my doubts but it's also unimportant, middle class tax increases shouldn't be an untouchable issue. Many people pay hundreds of dollars a month for health insurance, a tax increase to cover that is more than acceptable.

How about people that don't anything for healthcare? My wife and I get our coverage through our employers. We don't pay a dime for our coverage.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
How about people that don't anything for healthcare? My wife and I get our coverage through our employers. We don't pay a dime for our coverage.

This means you receive a large percentage of your compensation as in-kind payment, subsidized by the government through a tax break. Effectively, then, you pay a significant sum of money for your healthcare before you ever see it.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Your employers pay for the entire premium? You and your wife don't have an employee contributed portion that's deducted from your paycheck? Most employees pay about 20% of their employer-sponsored health insurance premiums.

Anyway, if you do pay any portion of those premiums to your employer, under Warren's plan, you get that money back.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
He doesn't have to say anything. The bill does. He likely doesn't want to speak because he doesn't want to say "I'll raise your taxes" because people don't understand how raising your taxes means you'll save money. It's just a fact that the two studies done shows that we save money than our current system. So the question "how do we pay for it" makes no sense when it's literally cheaper than the status quo.

I don't know what the hell you are saying.
It means that your employer is paying you less because they're using a portion of the money they would pay you, for health insurance. It's not free. Your employer has to pay these companies.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Your employers pay for the entire premium? You and your wife don't have an employee contributed portion that's deducted from your paycheck? Most employees pay about 20% of their employer-sponsored health insurance premiums.

Anyway, if you do pay any portion of those premiums to your employer, under Warren's plan, you get that money back.

He doesn't have to say anything. The bill does. He likely doesn't want to speak because he doesn't want to say "I'll raise your taxes" because people don't understand how raising your taxes means you'll save money. It's just a fact that the two studies done shows that we save money than our current system. So the question "how do we pay for it" makes no sense when it's literally cheaper than the status quo.

It means that your employer is paying you less because they're using a portion of the money they would pay you, for health insurance. It's not free. Your employer has to pay these companies.

We work for the city. Our healthcare is free. Plus union covers RX, dental, and vision.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
So she wants to take private corporate insurance away, and convert the premiums companies currently cover into taxes on the companies to feed M4A. So In doing so we are going to kill the entire private insurance industry, and while I know many here would be completely for that, I would like to know how many people then would be suddenly unemployed as an entire industry is wiped out. I'd very much hope any proposal for this would have some sort of aid for those employees to help re-educate them or provide relief as they flood the market looking for new jobs.

Jallopy

Oct 27, 2017
So she wants to take private corporate insurance away, and convert the premiums companies currently cover into taxes on the companies to feed M4A. So In doing so we are going to kill the entire private insurance industry, and while I know many here would be completely for that, I would like to know how many people then would be suddenly unemployed as an entire industry is wiped out. I'd very much hope any proposal for this would have some sort of aid for those employees to help re-educate them or provide relief as they flood the market looking for new jobs.

We just had our benefits rollout meeting at work today, we've switched insurance provider (again), rates have increased, and now they are 3 levels of service provider (in network, out of network, and kind of in network)...

Yeah, burn it all down.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how America is 20 years behind on this issue. How have Americans as a whole not revolted and demanded this basic right

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Boy oh boy they hate stuff like CAP now, but wait until the Dems need Republican votes to pass anything.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Yep, that's in the plan. A financial transactions tax. 0.1 percent of the proceeds of any security sale.

i purchase index funds (ETFs) for retirement. It's a bit annoying that i'd be then penalized for trying my best to save money. I already paid the tax to get the money I need to purchase the fund.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing is a political exercise anyway since the median Democratic Senator doesn't support Medicare for All.

If we put 22 more senators in office during Warren's victory then I will definitely call them and ask them to revise the funding mechanism because a head tax is dumb. Although if we're going to do that a flat wages tax is probably not the most progressive choice either!

But the entire discourse about "will Medicare for all raise taxes?" in every single debate was itself breathtakingly cynical and so I'm fine with a cynical response. My suggestion was to say we'd pay for it with the economic growth caused by job creators having more freedom to start small businesses. This is less cynical than that. And probably less cynical than just saying "I don't have a plan to pay for it and I refuse to write one."
I think Bernie's plan is far more honest. We can debate the right way to respond to the question (I agree it's a dishonest question), but IMO proposing a potentially fatally flawed version of M4A as a response is *not* the right way.

I agree that this particular plan is a political exercise, but that's kind of the root of the problem with it. All these candidates have a platform to present real solutions, so when they pass on that to grab a headline, it's a lost opportunity.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i purchase index funds (ETFs) for retirement. It's a bit annoying that i'd be then penalized for trying my best to save money. I already paid the tax to get the money I need to purchase the fund.
When you buy shares, you wouldn't be paying any transactions tax. These are Roth IRAs? I don't know, maybe if this actually goes through, retirement account sales would be exempt or something. That's pure speculation though. There are a lot of fine details missing. But I'd understand being disappointed because there'd be no tax usually whenever it is you redeem.

But say you redeemed $100,000 worth of shares, and this tax applied, you'd still pay only $100.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
When you buy shares, you wouldn't be paying any transactions tax. These are Roth IRAs? I don't know, maybe if this actually goes through, retirement account sales would be exempt or something. That's pure speculation though. There are a lot of fine details missing. But I'd understand being disappointed because there'd be no tax usually whenever it is you redeem.

But say you redeemed $100,000 worth of shares, and this tax applied, you'd still only $100.

Thanks for the reply and explanation. The amount isn't so much but I find the trend to begin doing that alarming.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I think the answer is 20:45 in the video. So whoever pays for the insurance immediately pays 8% less for a 3 year transition where they now pay what everyone else pays.

Thanks for that, it's pretty useful. I like that healthcare seems to be getting more and more of the spotlight and whether it's because of Warren or some other candidate in the future I do believe positive changes are coming. Healthcare costs here are so wack. No one should be asked to go into massive debt due to an unavoidable health illness/accident.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
We work for the city. Our healthcare is free. Plus union covers RX, dental, and vision.
Honest truth is, those of us who pay for insurance ourselves through our employer will get to keep getting that money and not send it to a healthcare provider. Whatever portion our employer paid will most likely stay with them. In your case your employer would likely keep the money rather than just give you all raised until your Union fought for another contract.

It's my personal belief that anyone who says your employer will, out of the goodness of their hearts, pass any savings they get from any plan, to their employees is blowing smoke up your ass. That's basically trickle down economics. I'm sure some employers would but I'm also sure most will pocket the savings, especially initially, until unions and public pressure forced them to pass that money down as increased wages.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honest truth is, those of us who pay for insurance ourselves through our employer will get to keep getting that money and not send it to a healthcare provider. Whatever portion our employer paid will most likely stay with them. In your case your employer would likely keep the money rather than just give you all raised until your Union fought for another contract.

It's my personal belief that anyone who says your employer will, out of the goodness of their hearts, pass any savings they get from any plan, to their employees is blowing smoke up your ass. That's basically trickle down economics. I'm sure some employers would but I'm also sure most will pocket the savings, especially initially, until unions and public pressure forced them to pass that money down as increased wages.
This is the big problem that has to be solved. Employer-based premiums are economically terrible. But getting rid of them is difficult because they're taking the place of wages and you can't eeasily swap employer premiums for employee taxes cleanly. It's why you really need to do a longer term transition.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Under the Warren plan, most of the employer-paid premiums would go to the federal government. Instead of paying private insurers, employers will be paying for the "Medicare 4 All."

In the beginning, employers will pay the government 98% of what they paid private health insurance companies. So, the employers will end up paying less in "premiums" too.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Under the Warren plan, most of the employer-paid premiums would go to the federal government. Instead of paying private insurers, employers will be paying for the "Medicare 4 All."

In the beginning, employers will pay the government 98% of what they paid private health insurance companies. So, the employers will end up paying less in "premiums" too.
I just skimmed it, don't really like it to be honest.

To go back to Freakzilla issue, under Warren's plan, which is what the thread is about either their employer will pay more for their health care cost or get a discount if they pass some of the savings on to the Union, so 50/50, they're either going to pay the government or pay the Union more in wages or pensions or whatnot but either way the company is out of money. In all fairness I don't think Bernie addressed this aspect with his plan yet, I know there were some Unions initially against his for this issue.

But back to my feelings, I still think this is the wrong approach as I think it needs to be decoupled from the employer completely. To be honest I think a truly progressive administration, whether Warren or Sanders is going to hurt the economy. This isn't a knock on them, I'd happily trade a percent of GDP or whatever it'd come to for better living conditions and better economic stability, but I think we'd lose some financial growth, we'd lose some jobs(hell some not even because of Sanders or Warren but because of increased automation). Considering what a large portion of most companies' budget health care and personnel costs are I think it would 100% be in our country's best interest to make hiring employees look as even as possible and by that I mean help bridge the gaps between part-time, full-time and contract workers. Warren's plan is actually kind of bad in this way is it seemingly incentivizes contractual work as the employer doesn't need to pay for health care, the employee doesn't need to pay health care up to a certain wage and all things considered, if I was an asshat businessman I don't know why I wouldn't find a way to switch as many people as I could over to that and screw the system.

On the flip side I somewhat like the incentive to unionize by offering to lower a companies health care payments, but the way it's worded makes it seem that at some point all companies will be paying an the average after the initial transition so the incentive to save on healthcare payments by allowing your company to go down to the average healthcare payment seems to be at best a hollow promise and at worst a temporary promise. I know companies are short sighted but I imagine most just waiting that period out, or holding out hope the bill's repealed, and not unionizing rather than save a few bucks for the first 8 years and then being stuck with a union forever afterwards.

Still better than what we have though.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To go back to Freakzilla issue, under Warren's plan, which is what the thread is about either their employer will pay more for their health care cost or get a discount if they pass some of the savings on to the Union, so 50/50, they're either going to pay the government or pay the Union more in wages or pensions or whatnot but either way the company is out of money. In all fairness I don't think Bernie addressed this aspect with his plan yet, I know there were some Unions initially against his for this issue.
Who knows how any of this will be implemented in reality, but as for Warren's plan: that's not how it's set up. When it comes to making "Medicare" payments, employers would pay LESS than what they're paying private insurers now.

The plan has them no longer paying private insurers anything. Instead, they would take that same batch of money and pay it into "Medicare." On top of that, the plan is for them to pay a little bit less - only 98% of what they used to pay private insurers. They get a 2% discount. So, if an employer were paying $10 million in private health insurance premiums on behalf of their employees, under Warren's plan, they would start out paying "Medicare" only $9.8 million.

And you're right, employers can reduce the amount they pay into Medicare by redirecting money to their unionized employees instead. That doesn't increase any cost to the employer, and it would work out well for any employees who get a direct raise in wages or pension benefits.

But back to my feelings, I still think this is the wrong approach as I think it needs to be decoupled from the employer completely. To be honest I think a truly progressive administration, whether Warren or Sanders is going to hurt the economy. This isn't a knock on them, I'd happily trade a percent of GDP or whatever it'd come to for better living conditions and better economic stability, but I think we'd lose some financial growth, we'd lose some jobs(hell some not even because of Sanders or Warren but because of increased automation)
There'll be some economic repercussions. The stock market will freak out - especially the financial and insurance sectors. But the stock market isn't the economy. The biggest existential threat to our economy is extreme income inequality. It's like a largely-undetected cancer silently eating away at the foundations of our financial well-being. And if we don't heal this, it'll be catastrophic. The economy does best when there's a huge, healthy consumer class with enough income to buy stuff - like houses, cars, groceries, vacations, gadgets, games - which then generates even more jobs and businesses. The economy - and the country - desperately needs fairer support for the working and middle class.

Every few decades, the country has to suffer or bail out the economy because of some critical failure in the private sector borne out from capitalism's most toxic tendencies allowed to run amok. And it always happens because the illusory temptation of crazy-high salary bonuses, inflated bumps in stock prices, more political donations has executives and politicians trading away our long-term well-being for their personal, short-term benefit. Somehow they scam a big part of the population into believing this sabotage is in their best interest too. We need to stop falling for it.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows how any of this will be implemented in reality, but as for Warren's plan: that's not how it's set up. When it comes to making "Medicare" payments, employers would pay LESS than what they're paying private insurers now.

The plan has them no longer paying private insurers anything. Instead, they would take that same batch of money and pay it into "Medicare." On top of that, the plan is for them to pay a little bit less - only 98% of what they used to pay private insurers. They get a 2% discount. So, if an employer were paying $10 million in private health insurance premiums on behalf of their employees, under Warren's plan, they would start out paying "Medicare" only $9.8 million.

And you're right, employers can reduce the amount they pay into Medicare by redirecting money to their unionized employees instead. That doesn't increase any cost to the employer, and it would work out well for any employees who get a direct raise in wages or pension benefits.
Let me clarify things because her plan is sort of vague on the Union side but I was only talking about the Union aspect in the section you're replying to here. She stated clearly that employers would start at 98% and then slowly work down to a national average over a period of, what 8 years, I forget, that aspect's irrelevant to this part however. But for Unions she doesn't specify what amount those employers would start at. Her plan's meant to incentivize the employer to pass on the portion of an employee's wages that have essentially been collectively bargained for as health insurance that those Union members would no longer receive so I'm assuming that an employer with this type of collective bargaining deal would start out of the gate paying more than the 98% that other employers would start at. I suppose it's possible she really went Union friendly and is going to start out all employers at 98%, period, and even during the transition phase a unionized employer who's collectively bargained to have the Union cover all the cost of healthcare can go below the national weighted average, which would be cool, but as I said this part is kind of vague. Probably because there's lots of different scenarios that don't fit nicely into neat little word bites.

Since I'm no longer on my phone I'll address Freakzilla again on his specific question. So to start, so we're all in agreement there's essentially three types of payments at play here. First is a portion of most of our paycheck that is assumed by the employer and the government to be going towards health care spending but isn't required to, so this is just part of your normal wage that goes into your check and you can buy employer provided health insurance with it, if you chose or pay the Obamacare fine if you chose(or not since it's dead now) but either way it's your money. Under Warren's plan, and well Sanders' or anyone elses really, we're keeping that money, it's your wage paid to you, companies aren't going to cut everyone's pay and it's not like your employer gave reduced wages to people who opted out of buying health insurance through the company. Right? Next is what the company pays for us in health care costs unbeknowst to its employees. We never saw this and this is the money I was saying we never would see. Under Warren's plan that money would get redirected to the Federal government at a 98% rate. Got it. Third, for Freakzilla his union has essentially already bargained both the employees' and employers' health care contributions go to the Union so that the Union could provide health care and thus their base wage would be lower than it otherwise would have been had the Union negotiated a higher wage but with their Union members paying some of the cost of their healthcare. So at the start of Warren's plan, Union members with a plan like this would naturally be in a less attractive position than a Union that had a more traditional healthcare cost split with their employer as most employees will just get to stop spending the money they've been spending on healthcare and spend it on whatever they want instead while his Union members never got that money directly and thus they won't get to keep something they never had.

Hence why they'd need to renegotiate their contract to once again be more beneficial to its' Union members and why Warren provided an incentive to hopefully grease the wheels to entice an employer to either increase their wages, put more into a pension or whatever else the Union wanted to bargain for to further reduce the companies overall health care liability.
There'll be some economic repercussions. The stock market will freak out - especially the financial and insurance sectors. But the stock market isn't the economy. The biggest existential threat to our economy is extreme income inequality. It's like a largely-undetected cancer silently eating away at the foundations of our financial well-being. And if we don't heal this, it'll be catastrophic. The economy does best when there's a huge, healthy consumer class with enough income to buy stuff - like houses, cars, groceries, vacations, gadgets, games - which then generates even more jobs and businesses. The economy - and the country - desperately needs fairer support for the working and middle class.

Every few decades, the country has to suffer or bail out the economy because of some critical failure in the private sector borne out from capitalism's most toxic tendencies allowed to run amok. And it always happens because the illusory temptation of crazy-high salary bonuses, inflated bumps in stock prices, more political donations has executives and politicians trading away our long-term well-being for their personal, short-term benefit. Somehow they scam a big part of the population into believing this sabotage is in their best interest too. We need to stop falling for it.
While I do agree with this I do think we also need to look towards the likely medium future as well. There's a reason that the United States recovered from the last recession quicker and why we routinely post more growth than most European countries and that's because despite European countries being stabler and having better living conditions our environment does foster more growth and we're talking about sacrificing some of that growth. I get you're for it, I'm also for it but we're going to be doing that while simultaneously facing major employment upheavals. We know the transportation industry is set to be decimated by self driving cars. Fast food's always looking to automate. I hate the gig economy but it's going to continue being a thing. We're talking about purposefully gutting the private health insurance industry. I'm not just talking silly shit like the stock market shit here, I'm talking about real physical jobs and shit. Continuing to tie health care through employers, even if invisibly to the average citizen would have more negative effects moving forward, I believe, than fully decoupling health care spending from employers would. This plan would have been fantastic in the 50s and served us well for decades but as it is today I think it's going to be a major hindrance that would have to be re-litigated by Congress very soon.

Again, with Warren's plan contractors, the "self-employed" so to speak, won't pay into the system until they reach a certain amount(fair under any plan) and employers also aren't on the hook(not as fair). This is likely to be a huge growth area unless current trends fucking flip. Since businesses with more than 50 employees are on the hook for an employees' health care costs regardless of full or part-time status under Warren's plans there's less incentive to hire an employee part-time than if health care costs were separated from employment. So in my opinion it looks like this plan is creating a situation that incentivizes contract and full-time employment and punishes part-time where as I think the proper thing to do would be to change the calculus completely and make it to where, in an effort to keep and create as many jobs as possible, it's cost neutral to an employer whether they hire you on contract, part-time or full-time, it should make no difference to the employer financially outside of paying your wages, which would hopefully slow contract employment growth and give more stable part and full-time employment to more people.

Long story short, if a company only needs labor for 20 hours but they're going to have to pay 98% of your health care costs if they do hire you more are likely to opt out of hiring you and try and spread that labor onto existing employees or do it as contractual work. Obviously that's a similar situation to what we have now but many companies never offered health care plans to their part-time employees so we're moving the bar. So where today it's that companies aren't giving enough people full-time employment under Warren's plan I think that'll change to just not giving enough people employment, period.

Last edited:

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let me clarify things because her plan is sort of vague on the Union side but I was only talking about the Union aspect in the section you're replying to here. She stated clearly that employers would start at 98% and then slowly work down to a national average over a period of, what 8 years, I forget, that aspect's irrelevant to this part however. But for Unions she doesn't specify what amount those employers would start at. Her plan's meant to incentivize the employer to pass on the portion of an employee's wages that have essentially been collectively bargained for as health insurance that those Union members would no longer receive so I'm assuming that an employer with this type of collective bargaining deal would start out of the gate paying more than the 98% that other employers would start at. I suppose it's possible she really went Union friendly and is going to start out all employers at 98%, period, and even during the transition phase a unionized employer who's collectively bargained to have the Union cover all the cost of healthcare can go below the national weighted average, which would be cool, but as I said this part is kind of vague. Probably because there's lots of different scenarios that don't fit nicely into neat little word bites.
rovided an incentive to hopefully grease the wheels to entice an employer to either increase their wages, put more into a pension or whatever else the Union wanted to bargain for to further reduce the companies overall health care liability.

I'm not part of a union. I don't have any experience with unions. So are you saying that some union contracts have the employer paying the employee-contributed portion of health insurance premiums? Maybe that's where I'm confused. Because otherwise I'm not sure why employers with union employees would be excluded from the rule that they pay to Medicare 98% of what they paid for their employee's health insurance previously. What employees paid as their portion of private health insurance doesn't come into this calculation. I get the sense you know that already from your notes to freakzilla.

I know you said it isn't relevant. But the idea of a national average or what employers would pay - it's just that: a median or mean. Just a number. I don't think she's saying that all employer's Medicare payments will work down to the national average, because then the average will be different.

Whatever the "national average" is will be a kind of limit for certain situations. For instance, if employers choose to increase their union employee wages and, therefore, pay less into Medicare, their Medicare payments can't go below the national average.

Again, with Warren's plan contractors, the "self-employed" so to speak, won't pay into the system until they reach a certain amount(fair under any plan) and employers also aren't on the hook(not as fair). This is likely to be a huge growth area unless current trends fucking flip. Since businesses with more than 50 employees are on the hook for an employees' health care costs regardless of full or part-time status under Warren's plans there's less incentive to hire an employee part-time than if health care costs were separated from employment. So in my opinion it looks like this plan is creating a situation that incentivizes contract and full-time employment and punishes part-time where as I think the proper thing to do would be to change the calculus completely and make it to where, in an effort to keep and create as many jobs as possible, it's cost neutral to an employer whether they hire you on contract, part-time or full-time, it should make no difference to the employer financially outside of paying your wages, which would hopefully slow contract employment growth and give more stable part and full-time employment to more people.

Long story short, if a company only needs labor for 20 hours but they're going to have to pay 98% of your health care costs if they do hire you more are likely to opt out of hiring you and try and spread that labor onto existing employees or do it as contractual work. Obviously that's a similar situation to what we have now but many companies never offered health care plans to their part-time employees so we're moving the bar. So where today it's that companies aren't giving enough people full-time employment under Warren's plan I think that'll change to just not giving enough people employment, period.

I'm not sure how - if it's put into effect - the plan will treat full-time, part-time employees, independent contractors, freelancers. I hope there'll be measures to protect against businesses reclassifying positions as something other than "employee" in order to avoid paying into Medicare. However, since these employers currently pay into private health insurance plans already for employees, I'd say this plan doesn't create worse incentives than the system already in place.

I'm hopeful because there is a piece in the plan about businesses like limited liability corporations or professional service corporations, where the "employees" are classified as partners or by some term other than "employee" and the plan says those kinds of employers with those kinds of workers are still subject to paying into Medicare.

Anyway, appreciate your write up. I learned some things and have different things to think about.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not part of a union. I don't have any experience with unions. So are you saying that some union contracts have the employer paying the employee-contributed portion of health insurance premiums? Maybe that's where I'm confused. Because otherwise I'm not sure why employers with union employees would be excluded from the rule that they pay to Medicare 98% of what they paid for their employee's health insurance previously. What employees paid as their portion of private health insurance doesn't come into this calculation. I get the sense you know that already from your notes to freakzilla.
Right, that's what kind of agreement Freakzilla's job has. So where one company's Union contract may pay say 2,500 a month with the emplyee spending 500 on health-care, or not since it's not physically required you but health care, another company's contract may have an employee receiving 2,000 a month with the employee paying nothing to a health care company and under Warren's plan the person with the lesser health care plan but being paid more would come out ahead because that employee would simply pocket their 500 bucks and keep their full 2,500 bucks a month where as the Union that initially had a great health care deal would be "stuck" just collecting their 2,000 a month receiving the same care the person getting paid 2,500 does. Initially the Union with the 2,000 dollar monthly pay but with the better healthcare was likely, after health care costs for employees factored in, the superior job and benefits to have as an employee now the Union would be behind in compensation compared to it's peers. Hence the need for them to renegotiate their contract and why Warren provides that incentive, just, incentives aren't mandates and there'd undoubtedly be some companies that don't increase benefits for their Union members at an equal rate as those of us not in Unions would enjoy by just not having to spend part of our checks on healthcare.

Don't get me wrong here either, I don't believe anyone has "solved" this issue because I don't think there is a way to solve this one without someone getting screwed.
I know you said it isn't relevant. But the idea of a national average or what employers would pay - it's just that: a median or mean. Just a number. I don't think she's saying that all employer's Medicare payments will work down to the national average, because then the average will be different.
Perhaps, I took the term average as more of an average between all the crappy but wildly different coverage plans currently across the country and the difference in provider prices across the country even when coverage is equal as what was meant as the average but that, eventually, as Medicare would be THE provider everyone's costs would at some point be the same and thus there would no longer be an average, there'd just be, the cost.

And what I meant was irrelevant was how many years her transition period was, that's what I'm not really interested in. 8 years, 7 years, 6 weeks, ok 6 weeks would likely be too short but you get the picture.

I'm not sure how - if it's put into effect - the plan will treat full-time, part-time employees, independent contractors, freelancers. I hope there'll be measures to protect against businesses reclassifying positions as something other than "employee" in order to avoid paying into Medicare. However, since these employers currently pay into private health insurance plans already for employees, I'd say this plan doesn't create worse incentives than the system already in place.

I'm hopeful because there is a piece in the plan about businesses like limited liability corporations or professional service corporations, where the "employees" are classified as partners or by some term other than "employee" and the plan says those kinds of employers with those kinds of workers are still subject to paying into Medicare.

Anyway, appreciate your write up. I learned some things and have different things to think about.
I'll have to read further into it to be sure, she may have talked about contractors elsewhere, or it might be my mistake for conflating "self employed" and contractor since the language I read said "self employed." I'm so used to them being interchangeable that when I saw "self employed" that's what came to mind but she may, very literally mean, self employed as someone is self employed and not a contractor.

But even if she does cover it it still doesn't change my real gripe, which is the cost of insurance would be a not so hidden cost of giving someone work. Real talk for a second, since we're talking about taxes a business is always going to be paying for health care under anyone's plan, whether we tax profit, tax per employee, tax an employee to the point employers have to pay more to employees, whatever, but tying it to employees is the absolute worst way to go about it because it means that no matter how many or few hours you plan to offer someone to work that they will always, at a minimum cost you whatever that 98% health care cost will cost plus whatever hours you wanted to offer them and on a spreadsheet it will look terrible. Always. So a business will always have to think real hard before hiring people for part time, seasonal or temporary work and making health care a de facto cost of hiring an employee for any amount of hours for any amount of time will slow hiring. It will mean less jobs. Yes, less shitty jobs for the vast majority of the time as most people don't want part time work or temporary work but less jobs is less jobs. And with us openly plotting to put health care workers out of work, self driving cars on the horizon and a host of other issues I really feel like we should be creating a dynamic system that truly frees an employer to offer a job whenever it's convenient as opposed to them waiting to offer a job only when it's truly necessary.

Ultimately, if Bernie loses and she's the nominee I'd support her plan I just don't think it's optimal. And, well, these are just plans who knows what this shit would look like if they turned into real bills.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Well, as a small business owner who's about to pay $1400 a month for health insurance for myself and my wife next year, this sounds pretty good to me! Totally free and no taxes at all on my end. I was very worried she was going to double the self-employment tax (which is already ridiculous) or something like that. I was writing her off before but I'm down to either her or Buttigieg now for my own vote.