• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
carllentz.png

Oh this guy? Yeah he always gave me the skeevies. carl Lentz
Maybe don't wear Aviator like glasses when you're the head of a weird Christian organization, not the best image to invoke. Especially when you look like the fuck boi version of David Koresh as is.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I need to be more aware of what Ellen Page says and does. More than anyone in the public eye, she exemplifies who I can relate to and trust as a guiding light. It takes a lot of strength and courage to put yourself out there standing up to the power structure that perpetuates ignorance and hate. Chris Pratt is just another dope in a cult.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is, but it's not compatible with the faith of some people, just that.
You might want to rethink your word choices then.

LGBTQ people's lives aren't "causes" or "concepts."

Faiths that are anti-LGBTQ are actively denying our personhood and it's important to identify that in conversations like these.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Some day in the future, people are going to be amazed about anti-LGBTQ sentiment still existing, much like how people said "I thought racism was gone..."

There is a general idea I see sometime that people thing "no one cares anymore".

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
That being said, it's up to each individual to pick out things they like or don't like about their religion. It's not "supposed" to be like that, but it's what most people do. You never follow the book completely. Unless you're crazy.
I imagine tons of Christians let the anti-LGBTQ rule slide considering everyone has at least a gay uncle or cousin in their family.
How can someone who believes their religion as the divine guide to let things slide? If they're claiming the bible is the word of God, you can't let rules slide left and right, no?

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't see the difference between Chris Pratt's church and, say, the United Church of Canada (the largest protestant denomination in Canada), which had its first openly gay minister in 1992, in the way LGBT+ people are treated, I don't know what to tell you.

What exactly Chris Pratt church says referring to LGBT? Honest question, I'm not aware.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not from United States, I probably should have pointed this out earlier.

Honestly I had no idea that accept this were normal in christians churches.

I can see how that might make a difference, depending on where you're from.

It's not the norm in smaller towns and less common in Catholic churches but I would say the majority rather than the minority of Protestant churches in larger cities are pro LGBTQ to some degree, some even run by queer leadership. It's what makes this kind of church a somewhat unique choice when there would presumably be quite a few more progressive options in the exact same area.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Just to point out, being/living as a gay person is not a "lifestyle".

I totally agree. I'm just referring to people who I've heard say shit like "I like gay people. I just don't disagree with the lifestyle." I was confused if that's what the person I was replying to was talking about when talking about "cause".

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You might want to rethink your word choices then.

LGBTQ people's lives aren't "causes" or "concepts."

Faiths that are anti-LGBTQ are actively denying our personhood and it's important to identify that in conversations like these.

I'm really sorry, I'm not familiared with the terms.

We probably just disagree in one thing, in my opinion people are allowed to have a faith incompatible with LGBT, but of course doesn't authorize any disrespect at any person since everyone is free.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not religious but I went to a university youth church once with a friend to show support for our other friend who was drumming in the church band that night. Was all fine and dandy until the youth pastor (a biology student) got up and started going on about avoiding partying and sinning which swerved into how being gay was a sin.

Needless to say shit was wack as fuck. Never went to his church again. Also couldn't stand his church friends

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Isn't Christianity itself anti-LGBTQ and pro-life? I'm pretty sure being gay and abortions are sins in the Bible.

This is what I thought too. Very surprised that there are a lot of really mainstream churches that ignore scripture for the sake of progress and inclusivity

If only other Abrahamic religions would follow suit. But we're not ready for that conversation....

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Hollywood people are so dumb sometimes. Like they legitimately just glom onto whatever stupid thing their Hollywood friends are doing or what their agent tells them without any critical thinking or investigation on their part. This particular church is basically spreading around like Scientology among Christian celebrities, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it blow up as more gross things are dug up about it and its leaders.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see how that might make a difference, depending on where you're from.

It's not the norm in smaller towns and less common in Catholic churches but I would say the majority rather than the minority of Protestant churches in larger cities are pro LGBTQ to some degree, some even run by queer leadership. It's what makes this kind of church a somewhat unique choice when there would presumably be quite a few more progressive options in the exact same area.

I'm from Brazil. Here roman catholics are the majority and protestant churches are massively against same sex relationship, that's why I was surprised, I tought protestant churches in USA were in this line.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
In this thread, I learned that Ellen Page is gay. Also, Squarehard confusing her for Ellen DeGeneres made me chuckle.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ellen Page is great.
Chris Pratt sucks.

And she hasn't been in a high profile Hollywood movie since forever and he's in... Almost everything. Sigh.

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
You could insert almost any church's name in there and it still fits. Its kind of a normal thing in Christianity to not be big fans of LGTBQ or abortion/women's rights so not too surprising, its all just varying degrees at how open they are about it really.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're normalizing homophobia

I don't see that way because a person not agreeing with another, doesn't mean that don't have respect as a human being.

People think differently, I don't think you can force anyone to be in favour of same sex relationship or abortion as an exemple, but respect people choices and their way of live is essential.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A church that espouses conservative views?

I'm shocked, shocked!
Being against LGBTQ people isn't "conservative."

It's a radical and bizarre stance.

I don't see that way because a person not agreeing with another, doesn't mean that don't have respect as a human being.

People think differently, I don't think you can force anyone to be in favour of same sex relationship or abortion as an exemple, but respect people choices and their way of live is essential.
If you fundamentally disagree with LGBTQ people's ability to live and love their then yes, you're disrespecting them.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Can't force but that doesn't make it ok.

You can't disagree with homosexuality. That's bigotry

Like I said you're absolutely normalizing homophobia

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018

"I believe you are a sinful abomination and are going to hell and don't think you should exist but I respect you."

Gee, thanks.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I think she's calling out the church than Pratt himself. I don't know about this specific church but as long as they're not picketing in the streets or personally attacking anyone then I don't have a problem with them.

...they're advocating conversion-therapy. People were, and still are, scarred for life because of that. Gay people who attends conversion-therapy is 5 times more likely to attempt suicide than the others. And we know that the suicide-rate is already higher for LGBT+ than heteros.

You don't have any problem with that?

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I believe you are a sinful abomination and are going to hell and don't think you should exist but I respect you."

Gee, thanks.

Well, I'm sure some people act that way, but this isn't the real christianity.

Sinners we all are according to the christian faith. No one is an abomination and shouldn't exist because of being gay or whatever.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France

You're so full of shit lmao. Like yeah if you're "not in favor" of same sex relationship you're a homophobe, pretty simple really.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Replace "lgbtq" with any ethnic minority of your choice.

"I am not in favor of black people, but I respect them"

It's batshit nuts and unacceptable.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Christianity itself anti-LGBTQ and pro-life? I'm pretty sure being gay and abortions are sins in the Bible.
That being said, it's up to each individual to pick out things they like or don't like about their religion. It's not "supposed" to be like that, but it's what most people do. You never follow the book completely. Unless you're crazy.
I imagine tons of Christians let the anti-LGBTQ rule slide considering everyone has at least a gay uncle or cousin in their family.

By the way, I think she's calling out the church than Pratt himself. I don't know about this specific church but as long as they're not picketing in the streets or personally attacking anyone then I don't have a problem with them. I'm not an edgy atheist so I've just learned to accept others believing whatever they want, even if I disagree with it. As long as they don't bully anyone.

Gee I didn't know thinking it's wrong to be homophobic makes one an edgy athiest .

Thanks for normalizing homophobia though...

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Wow I didn't know that, super disappointed!

I would not want to associate with anyone who thinks like you do. Your « respect » is worthless, and we can see through people like you in a second.