• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://news.avclub.com/ellen-page-calls-out-chris-pratts-infamously-anti-lgbt-1832463951

Chris Pratt loves talking about his Christian faith (and his faith-based diets), but actress Ellen Page, who spit fire over the current administration earlier this month, isn't having it. To be clear, her issues aren't with his faith so much as they are his chosen place of worship: Hillsong, the "hipster church" attended by famous people like Justin Bieber and Kendall Jenner.

Because behind Hillsong's "hot" congregation, pop choir, and hip, charismatic pastor lies some regressive beliefs about the LGBTQ population, ones glossed over with cocktail words about everyone being "welcome." Per this Outline article from a former congregant, no one there is willing to have a real conversation about the church's pro-life stances, nor its long, sordid history of endorsing gay conversion therapy. "I don't regret the decision to walk away from a church that cares so much about fame more than faith," the piece concludes.

All of this was clearly on Page's mind when she fired off a tweet in the wee hours of Friday, one pegged to Pratt's recent interview on Colbert. "Oh. K. Um. But his church is infamously anti lgbtq so maybe address that too?" she wrote.

While one might not expect a late night host to raise tough questions like that to an A-lister, Page's tweet does speak to the enduring impact of "access culture" that's plagued modern journalism, resulting in fewer and fewer tough questions being asked to high-profile subjects, presumably out of fear that doing so will limit access to them in the future. One of the reasons Ashley Feinberg's recent interview with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey made such a splash was because she unapologetically raised the concerns that other journalists were too scared to address. Awareness, acknowledgment, and change only comes with confrontation, after all.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seem to recall this dividing people on era last time it was brought up. Good for Ellen Page for calling it out.

Oct 30, 2017
Young upstart hipster churches are just the worst. It is the religious version of overt atheists ramming "god isn't real!" down your throat. Everyone is so happy to be there. And 80% of them are totally fake.

Also, good luck keeping this thread open with Pratt + religion.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I knew Pratt was religious, but I didn't know he was apart of the Hillsong cult. Yikes.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yet she completely let Kevin Hart off the hook, and even called up the Academy to get him his job back.

Edit: Sorry, still groggy from staying up too late, LOL.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Seem to recall this dividing people on era last time it was brought up. Good for Ellen Page for calling it out.
Yeah which is silly because it's a super clear cut issue. Colbert is pretty Catholic too so it would have been nice if he didnt coddle Pratt. But after the whole Spicer thing I'm not sure why anyone expected differently.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is she calling out pratt? or the chuch? if she is going to call out him, she needs to call out everyone famous who goes there

but good on her for calling it out

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet she completely let Kevin Hart off the hook, and even called up the Academy to get him his job back.

BF1ybti.gif

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Some of those comments are already a shitshow.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry all, probably shouldn't have stayed up late last night, reading is hard.

Went straight for the Ellen. XD

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kevin Hart's tweets were from 10 years ago.

I'm not a fan of how he has handled the outrage resurfacing again, but when it comes down to it, his overt homophobia is a thing of the past as far as his public persona goes. Whatever he says and does privately, that's unknowable unless someone comes forward of how Hart has continued his homophobic behaviour.

Pratt is still quite publicly endorsing this Hillsong church and is a public figure with huge influence particularly on young people. I see no reason why Hart's past homophobic tweets should weigh equally with Pratt essentially cosigning a Church with huge youth outreach and anti LGBT values.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Yeah which is silly because it's a super clear cut issue. Colbert is pretty Catholic too so it would have been nice if he didnt coddle Pratt. But after the whole Spicer thing I'm not sure why anyone expected differently.

Colbert's been pretty shit recently between the Spicer thing and telling people not to protest at Tucker Carlson's house.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Young upstart hipster churches are just the worst. It is the religious version of overt atheists ramming "god isn't real!" down your throat. Everyone is so happy to be there. And 80% of them are totally fake.

Also, good luck keeping this thread open with Pratt + religion.

These places are popping up all over my town in Florida. Did you know that even though they say "non-denominational" they actually model a lot of their theology after very conservative Soithern Baptist theology? They dress it up to sound inclusive, but there are a lot of sinister undertones there.

Not to mention I hate the whole rock-show element to them where the emphasis is placed on production values and the pastor being this "cool guy".

Maybe I'm a bit biased too because my dad and uncle are both priests with the Episcopal church. Quite a progressive denomination. At least my denomination wholly embraces my uncle who is gay and was married in his church once it became legal in Vermont.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
carllentz.png

Oh this guy? Yeah he always gave me the skeevies. carl Lentz

Dec 2, 2017
This is a large part of whats completely turned me away from organised christianity. Behind all the smiles and talks of everyone being welcome, its still largely the same discriminatory toxic ideology, and I can't in good conscience be a part of that, and I'm surprised Pratt can be.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Peddling homophobic rhetoric and excusing bigotry over a series of posts
Kevin Hart's tweets were from 10 years ago.

I'm not a fan of how he has handled the outrage resurfacing again, but when it comes down to it, his overt homophobia is a thing of the past as far as his public persona goes.

Pratt is still quite publicly endorsing this Hillsong church and is a public figure with huge influence particularly on young people. I see no reason why Hart's past homophobic tweets should weigh equally with Pratt essentially cosigning a Church with huge youth outreach and anti LGBT values.

Basically all christian churches has anti LGBT values for obvious reasons. I don't think call out a christian for not being pro LGBT has any sense.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
These places are popping up all over my town in Florida. Did you know that even though they say "non-denominational" they actually model a lot of their theology after very conservative Soithern Baptist theology? They dress it up to sound inclusive, but there are a lot of sinister undertones there.

Not to mention I hate the whole rock-show element to them where the emphasis is placed on production values and the pastor being this "cool guy".

Maybe I'm a bit biased too because my dad and uncle are both priests with the Episcopal church. Quite a progressive denomination. At least my denomination wholly embraces my uncle who is gay and was married in his church once it became legal in Vermont.

This makes sense to me as someone who was raised Southern Baptist. There was this effort to bring in youth by trying to mimic modern trends-but they always seemed to be like 6 years behind the times so it didn't work. I remember they took our "Youth Group" to Carowinds to see a Christian Rock concert. I snuck away from that shit and went on rollercoasters.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really getting tired of famous people turning out to hate me, so I guess we'll see how this plays