• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
BF1ybti.gif

*giggle*

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Interesting.

I know Gomez in the past has questioned her own sexuality. Not sure why she would go there. It sounds like they brainwash them and make young celebs feel welcomed. At least the ones that are vulnerable.

That's what I want to know, as well. Is she a true believer? Is her persona just all an act? Is she just going there to support her bf, Justin Bieber?

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting.

I know Gomez in the past has questioned her own sexuality. Not sure why she would go there. It sounds like they brainwash them and make young celebs feel welcomed. At least the ones that are vulnerable.

It's because Gomez and these other celebrities value a church that gives them celeb treatment over actually supporting their LGBTQ brothers and sisters and fans and friends and etc.

Because these celebrities use LGBTQ support as a poster to gain more points for themselves over actually believing it. They are cowards and homoephobes themselves.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
It's honestly hard to believe that there are still religious people given the availability of the internet and exposure to other ideas.
I'll let you in on something you probably already know. The fastest growing religion is Islam...and they are also giving birth at the fastest rate as well. In addition, my religion and spirituality as well as that of many others isn't based on what we read online.

So fortunately or unfortunately depending on where you stand, religion isn't going anywhere.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll let you in on something you probably already know. The fastest growing religion is Islam...and they are also giving birth at the fastest rate as well. In addition, my religion and spirituality as well as that of many others isn't based on what we read online.

So fortunately or unfortunately depending on where you stand, religion isn't going anywhere.

Religion isn't growing in developed countries..

And I don't see how that's a response to my post. It's still surprising, among other things.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Religion isn't growing in developed countries..

And I don't see how that's a response to my post. It's still surprising, among other things.
As someone who is from a developed country I can tell you that is factually wrong. Islam Is growing and this mostly through birth. It is easier to have belief in God when you are dirt poor and sick with no hospitals to seek treatement from. It's much harder when everything is A-OK.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who is from a developed country I can tell you that is factually wrong. Islam Is growing and this mostly through birth. It is easier to have belief in God when you are dirt poor and sick with no hospitals to seek treatement from. It's much harder when everything is A-OK.

I'll need to see statistics showing religion overall is growing in developed countries.

Deleted member 52988

Account closed at user request
Banned
Feb 2, 2019
It's really not on Pratt to address this one specific aspect of the religion he belongs to. He should be able to worship in peace. Being a member of a church doesn't mean your personal beliefs align absolutely to their doctrine.

Hillsong is shady for a number of reasons but Page would be better served calling them out directly.

Last edited:

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
That article doesn't address what I said. It doesn't say anywhere religiosity is increasing in developed countries
Dude, my bad, of course it isn't growing in developed. Thought I read developing. Lol. I need to go to bed.

So no, there is no exponential growth in developed countries.

However as everyone focuses on Christianity and its decline, Islam is emerging as the dominant religious group in Europe.

Oct 28, 2017
What Ellen really meant to say is that she opposes any religious belief that dehumanises or demonises homosexuality. And that those who subscribe to those belief systems should be called out on it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dude, bad, of course it isn't growing in developed. Thought I read developing. Lol. I have to go to bed.

So no, there is no exponential growth in developed countries.

However as everyone focuses on Christianity and its decline, Islam is emerging as the dominant religious group in Europe.

Ok. So you just misread my post. Got it.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
It's really not on Pratt to address this one specific aspect of the religion he belongs to. He should be able to worship in peace.

Hillsong is shady for a number of reasons but Page would be better served calling them out directly.
Nah, he supports a church founded by a paedophile. Even if he doesn't openly come out and say what he supports, what he believes etc. he still supports a church founded by and for horrible people, fans will still look into his beliefs and then his church and possibly be influenced by it. That's on him.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Ok. So you just misread my post. Got it.
Yes, misread your post. My mind was somewhere else cause I did retype what you said and still didn't notice.

Religion, and Christianity in particular has taken more of a back seat these days here in the states. I saw it in college going from undergrad to grad school. Kids these days are less religious than when I was growing up.

Deleted member 52988

Account closed at user request
Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Nah, he supports a church founded by a paedophile. Even if he doesn't openly come out and say what he supports, what he believes etc. he still supports a church founded by and for horrible people, fans will still look into his beliefs and then his church and possibly be influenced by it. That's on him.
Well yeah you could look at it that reductively.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I think hillsong has quite possibly the largest influence on modern day christianity. Heck 80 percent of songs in every church are from hillsong so I see where she is coming from in going after Pratt rather than the church itself.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's really not on Pratt to address this one specific aspect of the religion he belongs to. He should be able to worship in peace. Being a member of a church doesn't mean your personal beliefs align absolutely to their doctrine.

Pratt's a member there, it's his religion. There's no getting out of this by not answering. If he has other feelings or doubts now's when he needs to speak up.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Haha rubbish. You gonna demand a response from every parishioner on each any every position their church holds?

No. Pratt will likely respond to this because it's the right PR move, but there is no onus on him to do so.

No, this comes from him being a celebrity. They're not in the spotlight but he is and if he's not careful slip up's like this are going to hurt his career. Pratt's image and reputation are vital to him having roles like Starlord, which is a privilege not a right. Public backlash is a thing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I don't know why people in this thread are in denial that Christianity is inherently anti-lgbt. At the very best churches promulgate something like "homosexuality is a sin like any other just like lieing and we all lie right , so who are we to judge?"

We can all agree that Pratt supporting Hillsong indirectly helps perpetuate that anti-lgbt views, right ? He may not himself make explicitly LGBT comments but he lends credibility to those that do.
So balance me here guys, why can't it be said that those who are Christian, even if they do not make explicitly homophobic remarks, both promote and lend credibility to a text(upon which the whole faith is based) that calls multiple times for the punishment of homosexuals?

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Christian church except one (uniting I believe) in Australia had its leader speak out about same sex marriage in the recent vote.

The majority of Christians ignored this and voted for same sex marriage anyway.

There is a problem there. Either nobody really believes in their religion and they just want to belong to something and want to send their kids to better funded school and religious leaders are ok to not dwell on it because they get money and power so who cares really we'll keep the dance (and song) going OR churches need to better reconnect with their flock and will inevitably need to change.

Thinking the first one. Same for Pratt. He wouldn't believe the awful things his church tells him to believe because what he believes is his own beliefs even though those beliefs are directed by believers.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

What? It absolutely is on him. It's on him and every single person who supports any kind of anti LGBT place. What's the difference if he doesn't believe the same things if he still supports them? The church will continue to uphold its anti LGBT practices based on the support it has, not whether it's followers think they should. He is still financing and supporting an anti LGBT institution. LGBT people will still suffer.

Last edited:

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
We can all agree that Pratt supporting Hillsong indirectly helps perpetuate that anti-lgbt views, right ? He may not himself make explicitly LGBT comments but he lends credibility to those that do.
So balance me here guys, why can't it be said that those who are Christian, even if they do not make explicitly homophobic remarks, both promote and lend credibility to a text(upon which the whole faith is based) that calls multiple times for the punishment of homosexuals?

Because, as I've mentioned before in this thread, it's actually an ongoing debate whether or not that's the original intent.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

That's absurd.

You can in fact choose your church.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to be missing the point. This isn't about Chris' beliefs.
This is about Chris using his influence and promoting a hugely problematic church on a talk show.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
That's absurd.

You can in fact choose your church.

Yes, and that's good because some churches are slightly less evil than others.

But, how about ditching organized institutions of faith altogether and turning towards faith in kindness, tolerance, human spirit, reason, logic and ourselves? Just a thought.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
You are acting like people are spitting at him because he doesn't recycle. No, this is a pretty big issue for a lot of people.
no actually I'm in a pool waiting to literally hate on him. don't much like Chris.

him joining a high visibility celebrity popular church and giving them greater public support while completely avoiding the LGBT issue is pretty transparent.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Pratt's a member there, it's his religion. There's no getting out of this by not answering. If he has other feelings or doubts now's when he needs to speak up.
HE won't address this. You may get some pre-packaged 'I love everyone' statement from his publicist if this picks up too much heat, but you won't hear any words from HIS mouth, personally. He says something, he instantly pisses off his alt-right base.

This is the first time I've seen him not dolled up as Starlord in quite awhile. Guess he hasn't been praying hard enough to Jesus to save his hair. He looks bad in that photo.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
HE won't address this. You may get some pre-packaged 'I love everyone' statement from his publicist if this picks up too much heat, but you won't hear any words from HIS mouth, personally. He says something, he instantly pisses off his alt-right base.

I don't see that going well for him in this climate. It won't end his career but it will be remembered and it'll be another notch against him and he can't do too much of that or it'll end up defining his persona as an actor.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I had not heard that, actually. I am an orthodox Catholic, and Colbert has always interested me because of his knowledge of Catholic "stuff," from actual Church teaching to Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings. I was intrigued by his arcane knowledge of both. I think I have consumed just about every interview and media that he has ever been in where he talks about his personal life, and I am unaware of any time he has flatly contradicted the teaching of the Church. Anyway, I was just wondering why Ellen Page did not go after him since, even if he does disagree with the Church on this, it seems to me that progressives usually go after celebrities for even affiliations they find objectionable.

LOL. Dog whistles abound in this one with the 'progressives usually go after celebrities for even affiliations they find objectionable." as if that's just a 'progressive' thing in this political climate.

That said, it just took a google search to find plenty of pro-gay marriage Colbert jokes AND interviews, which I would put up, but since it's google its pretty easy for you to find, which obviously you didn't want to find, so you can throw that progressive jab.

Btw, lapsed Catholic after a good twenty years of faith here, and even in my time I found pro-gay priests or ones that tried to toe the line against the Vatican as much as they could.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Hillsong is the inspiration for most of the churches appealing to the younger crowd. The repertoire of the worship band at your sister's church is probably 50% Hillsong stuff.
I'd guess that's true from what I could make from the video. Also, in terms of numbers at least, it's "working" for them. Her church is struggling to actually have enough space to house everybody while churches across America are slowly dying do to attrition. And they have a ton of youth there. Of course I have no idea what that means long term, whether it stays viable, and what their overall messaging is. If it turned out they had a lot of the toxic elements of Hillsong, that wouldn't surprise me.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading some tweets from him posted on era before. Yikes at this man.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So a Christian Church is Christian?
Pretty much. But to be fair, there are actually churches out there that don't hate on LGBTQ. They focus more on happiness and the community without the judgement and brimstone. And there is probably one within 20 miles of where he lives. Evangelicals are mostly the "we love the gays but hate the sin" folks. Calling those churches "Christian" is sort of a hypocrisy really.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It is easier to have belief in God when you are dirt poor and sick with no hospitals to seek treatement from. It's much harder when everything is A-OK.

You can make equally solid, and probably more intuitive, arguments for it being the other way: e.g. people not believing in a loving god that allows their life to be miserable (in general, you should not assume correlations based on intuitions). There are a lot more factors in here than simply happiness, and indeed internet is probably one of them.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Very up for interpretation and the result of translation upon translation.
For what it's worth, I've read several books on how the Bible changed throughout the centuries due to translation mistakes or intentional changing and none of those were ever mentioned as being altered.

You can be Christian and pro-lgbt despite those passages. There's any number of excuses you could use.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Pratt is quite religious. I couldn't take all the god crap and had to unfollow him on Instagram.