• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 8, 2019
LOL. Dog whistles abound in this one with the 'progressives usually go after celebrities for even affiliations they find objectionable." as if that's just a 'progressive' thing in this political climate.

That said, it just took a google search to find plenty of pro-gay marriage Colbert jokes AND interviews, which I would put up, but since it's google its pretty easy for you to find, which obviously you didn't want to find, so you can throw that progressive jab.

Btw, lapsed Catholic after a good twenty years of faith here, and even in my time I found pro-gay priests or ones that tried to toe the line against the Vatican as much as they could.

So I looked up what a dog whistle was, just to be sure I was not misunderstanding, and - yeah - I am not dog whistling. I was just stating a matter of fact. Anyway, as for Colbert, I suppose I put more weight on his authentically personal interviews, like the one he did for Salt and Light, where he opened up about the tragedies in his family and how Tolkien's letters helped him through it. It was touching, but it would probably sound incredibly strange to non-religious ears. As I said, though, one would think that Ellen or any progressive would go after Colbert for even his affiliation with the Church, which is probably the ultimate mother lode of all evil, she's got a lot of everything.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I like Pratt in some stuff (Parks and GoTG) but yeah... After finding out he's something of a religious nut I don't fuck with him as much. Very interesting how people manage such personal beliefs while navigating through the Hollywood space.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
You can make equally solid, and probably more intuitive, arguments for it being the other way: e.g. people not believing in a loving god that allows their life to be miserable (in general, you should not assume correlations based on intuitions). There are a lot more factors in here than simply happiness, and indeed internet is probably one of them.

Now, you can make an argument that not all factors are the same for everyone but you can't argue there is no correlation when for a large number of people there is.

The internet is certainly a reason for many people being atheist......... In developed countries. People that are dirt poor in third world countries don't have the luxury of the internet. I can tell you as someone who has dealt with a lot of crap from living in a third world country you can't bring logic when I'm going through shit.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Christians and non-Christians alike have to be reminded of this daily:
Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)
36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

You follow that commandment and the rest takes care of itself. Gay people can be saved and become a Christian while still being gay. And we should love them like any other straight person. More and more churches have been speaking out about it, so hopefully we get to a point where their voices are louder than the churches who condemn homosexuality.

I mean, look at my church; we have whites, blacks, gays (Pastor's brother is gay), trans, and a Pastor who is a woman.

I find the whole notion of people being "saved" a bit wrong - and the line "we should love a gay person like any straight person" sounds a bit condescenting towards gays. Also, you make it sound we need a book to tell us we should treat gay people with human decency and that is the reason we should do it. Because it's in the bible.

Christian faith - as well as all other religions - have been nothing but horrible towards gay people, trans people, women, etc. for centuries. I honestly don't care if a church is trying to change and pretending like "hey it was in the bible all along, we just didn't interpret it well, everything is ok now" - like centuries of torturing and killing entire groups of people because of a book was ok. We just read it wrong, ups!

One day far in the future, history will not remember religions of today kindly.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Now, you can make an argument that not all factors are the same for everyone but you can't argue there is no correlation when for a large number of people there is.

Sure, as soon as you provide a study that inversely correlates happiness and religious sentiment. Until then you're theorycrafting and nobody has to accept anything you say as "common sense".

The internet is certainly a reason for many people being atheist......... In developed countries. People that are dirt poor in third world countries don't have the luxury of the internet.

That's literally the opposite of the argument you were making (that Internet is not a factor in religiousness).

I can tell you as someone who has dealt with a lot of crap from living in a third world country you can't bring logic when I'm going through shit.

I'm sorry to say anecdotal evidence over a sample pool of one is not a substitute for actual proof as defined above, even if the sample is "you" and therefore it feels much more important to you. Your arguments remain unconvincing.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's really not on Pratt to address this one specific aspect of the religion he belongs to. He should be able to worship in peace. Being a member of a church doesn't mean your personal beliefs align absolutely to their doctrine.
What does it mean then? When would you be a member of any organisation that has such beliefs if you disagree with them. If he's a member of this church, he supports their views end of story. He's a cunt.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

You follow that commandment and the rest takes care of itself. Gay people can be saved and become a Christian while still being gay. And we should love them like any other straight person. More and more churches have been speaking out about it, so hopefully we get to a point where their voices are louder than the churches who condemn homosexuality.

I mean, look at my church; we have whites, blacks, gays (Pastor's brother is gay), trans, and a Pastor who is a woman.

It's kind of amazing, although I guess not really, that you can't even realize the homophobia and condescension oozing from the above. I pity the poor LBGT person that has to endure you loving them "like any other straight person".

Haha rubbish. You gonna demand a response from every parishioner on each any every position their church holds?

It should be how it works, yes, but we all know churches are really about the lazy justification and validation for inane and bigoted beliefs with none of the accountability.

I mean, you can't have it both ways:
"I believe bigoted thing A only because church teaches bigoted thing A"
"You cannot assume that I believe bigoted thing B just because church teaches bigoted thing B!"

If you justify your beliefs on what your church preaches (avoiding all that bothersome "thinking" business, and deflecting accountability for bigoted beliefs), you don't then get the benefit of the doubt that you can cherry pick those beliefs.

What Ellen really meant to say is that she opposes any religious belief that dehumanises or demonises homosexuality. And that those who subscribe to those belief systems should be called out on it.

"Meant to say"? Seems to me that's pretty much what she actually said. :)

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amazing, although I guess not really, that you can't even realize the homophobia and condescension oozing from the above. I pity the poor LBGT person that has to endure you loving them "like any other straight person".

It should be how it works, yes, but we all know churches are really about the lazy justification and validation for inane and bigoted beliefs with none of the accountability.

I mean, you can't have it both ways:
"I believe bigoted thing A only because church teaches bigoted thing A"
"You cannot assume that I believe bigoted thing B just because church teaches bigoted thing B!"

If you justify your beliefs on what your church preaches (avoiding all that bothersome "thinking" business, and deflecting accountability for bigoted beliefs), you don't then get the benefit of the doubt that you can cherry pick those beliefs.

"Meant to say"? Seems to me that's pretty much what she actually said. :)
I find the whole notion of people being "saved" a bit wrong - and the line "we should love a gay person like any straight person" sounds a bit condescenting towards gays. Also, you make it sound we need a book to tell us we should treat gay people with human decency and that is the reason we should do it. Because it's in the bible.

Christian faith - as well as all other religions - have been nothing but horrible towards gay people, trans people, women, etc. for centuries. I honestly don't care if a church is trying to change and pretending like "hey it was in the bible all along, we just didn't interpret it well, everything is ok now" - like centuries of torturing and killing entire groups of people because of a book was ok. We just read it wrong, ups!

One day far in the future, history will not remember religions of today kindly.
Not meant to be condensending.

The "saved" comment isn't saying they'd be saved from being gay. It's a term used for anyone who accepts Jesus as their personal saviour. Thus they were saved. One can be gay and saved and I really don't think Jesus cares about it as much as we do. It's part of the New Covanent. We don't have to build Tabernacles and follow the numerous and problematic rules from the Old Testiment.

Anyway, it shouldn't matter who your neighbor is. Love them. Treat them as you would want to be treated. It doesn't matter the color or person you are attracted to. Pretty simple and yes, Christians and none Christians would benefit from treating others like human beings more often.

My wife's mom is gay. She's married to a woman. I love and treated her as I normally would if she wasn't gay. Filmed their wedding and participated. I was very proud of them. No, I didn't need to refer to the Bible for the line because it's already in my heart.

Very simple concept. And again, our church is welcoming to all types of people and we don't condemn anything but Trump.

For those saying "why do you need a book to tell you that": grow up. It's considered the word of God (even tho it passed thru a lot of hands and changes, it's the best we got). Why wouldn't Christians look to their book for guidance? Do you not know humans need to be reminded to not be dicks to each other? We do it in politics everyday. C'mon.

Oct 28, 2017

Can they be saved while having same-sex relations? Or must they abstain?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Can they be saved while having same-sex relations? Or must they abstain?
I answered it above but it doesn't matter. If you accept Jesus as your saviour, you're good.

All this gay conversion crap and other requirements are man made. Jesus knows your heart, and He loves all of us unconditionally.

I'm telling you, if more Christians actually acted like Christians, the world would be a different place.

Oct 28, 2017
I answered it above but it doesn't matter. If you accept Jesus as your saviour, you're good.

All this gay conversion crap and other requirements are man made. Jesus knows your heart, and He loves all of us unconditionally.

I'm telling you, if more Christians actually acted like Christians, the world would be a different place.

I'm curious how you reconcile this image of Christ with what Revelations foretells about the events surrounding his return.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Why wouldn't Christians look to their book for guidance? Do you not know humans need to be reminded to not be dicks to each other? We do it in politics everyday. C'mon.

About that. Can I ask you a question? Let's say the Bible (or specifically whatever part of the Bible you consider that "actually counts", so the New Testament I guess) said gay people should be killed on sight. What would be your opinion on that?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The man is a known to he super religious. Odds that he holds abhorrent views are pretty good. Him being part of this church coupled with his high interest in religion don't shine such a good light.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
This gotta be a joke right? Christianity isn't a super peaceful religion. Laws are made and enforced to keep the crazyness of religion at bay. Christianity is neutered because of these laws.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
This site really seems to hate Chris Pratt.

And it has nothing to do with his homophobic church! We just randomly hate Chris Pratt!

Nice try.

I actually like some of the characters he plays. And I have no emotions towards him personally.

I do hate it when people treat other people like shit because of their sexuality, though.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I'm not here to debate the existence of God.

No. No one is debating the existence of God here.

We're debating whether christianity treats a lot of humans like shit because of their sexuality and whether the fact that some of these christians (in an attempt to go with the times) now say that it's ok to be gay (as long as you're still christian) changes anything.

It doesn't.

Of course, christianity is far from being the only religion to try to ruin gay people's lives, but it is the religion we're discussing in this thread because of ol' Chris.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't need anymore evidence that Chris Pratt is a shitty person, along with his penchant for hunting.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's always been trash.

Avid animal abuser and hunter should've established that.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
This gotta be a joke right? Christianity isn't a super peaceful religion. Laws are made and enforced to keep the crazyness of religion at bay. Christianity is neutered because of these laws.
When people say this they generally mean if Christians acted like *Jesus,* especially in terms of loving people self-sacrificially, caring about the outcast, the marginalized, and the poor, etc.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
No. No one is debating the existence of God here.

We're debating whether christianity treats a lot of humans like shit because of their sexuality and whether the fact that some of these christians (in an attempt to go with the times) now say that it's ok to be gay (as long as you're still christian) changes anything.

It doesn't.

Of course, christianity is far from being the only religion to try to ruin gay people's lives, but it is the religion we're discussing in this thread because of ol' Chris.
I don't know why you're missing it but the greatest commandment doesn't say "love thy neighbor (as long as they're Christian) as you would yourself". It just says neighbor.

So if you are a Christian, and you follow the greatest commandment from Christ, then you should treat all people the way you'd like to be treated. It's simple. There were no silly rules besides that.

To be a Christian is to accept Jesus into your heart as your saviour. It's a relationship between you and him. Because he's in your heart, to be a Christian is to be Christ-like; it's breaking away from tradition. So if Jesus loved all and considered all his children, why can't all Christians do the same? When Jesus was walking around healing people, He didn't stop to ask who you were sleeping with before he healed you.

So again, why is it that a lot of them don't do this? The answer is... A lot of those who claim to be Christian use it as a crutch to hold up their fucked up moral system. They use the Bible when it's convenient, justifying their political, racist, and homophobic beliefs. It's the inherent problem with organized religion, it can be weaponized.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How can someone who believes their religion as the divine guide to let things slide? If they're claiming the bible is the word of God, you can't let rules slide left and right, no?
You're about 1000 years too late to this conclusion. Judeo-Christian religions have been picking and choosing what word of god should be applicable for a LOOOOONG time now.
Christianity in particular is a lot like the kid in high school who would do anything to be popular: changing Jesus' birthday and death to coincide with Pagan holidays to artificially boost conversions, creating offshoots through the Protestant Reformation to suit personal beliefs of the scripture rather than verbatim interpretations or simply to allow once-unpermitted behaviors (hello Church of England)... it's changed so often and so frequently to suit someone's needs that it has become nearly unrecognizable.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Props to her, so many people of the abrahimic faiths claiming to be pro LGBT, completely let shit like this slide in their surrounding all the time.

Grow some balls and actually take a stance against the shitty sides of your religions.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Mw9Qp4o.png

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, what is it...if there's evidence that his church supports anti LGBTQ programs that means he's talking shit again. Can't have it both ways, Chris.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We forgive you, king.

(In all seriousness - Era is atheist central so I'm sure this will somehow be turned into something negative.)

D23

Oct 25, 2017
I attended Hillsong Church when i was down in LA and there's a lot of LGBT ppl that attended the church! same when i was in New York for Hillsong NYC..

the hate for this man in this forum is crazy..

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
is his use of a pic of sheep ironic or passive aggressive?

It's a lamb, one of the most common images/symbols in Christianity.

The lamb is another important symbol in Christian theology and lore, symbolizing purity and sacrifice, as lambs where a common sacrificial animal at the time of Christianity's founding. The lamb also evokes the idea of shepherding and guiding. Popular Christian imagery often depicts Jesus of Nazareth as a shepherd, taking care of a flock of sheep that represent Christians.

John 1:29 says, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world." This passage makes reference to the Jewish practice of Passover. Passover's origins began just before the Israelites began their exodus from Egypt, during the last of the ten plagues that God sent to Egyptians, the death of the first-borns. A lamb was sacrificed and its blood was spread over the doorposts of Jewish homes, so the Holy Spirit or Spirit of the Lord knew to 'pass over' and spare Jewish families. Referring to Jesus of Nazareth as the lamb of God refers to the blood spilled by Jesus as an act of protection for all Christians.