• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a mistake on my part but I read the IGN comments on Umbrella Academy and was disgusted by all the Ellen Page hate. And I know absolutely nothing about her.

She's a woman, she's bi/lesbian or just lesbian. Supports the lgbtq community, etc

Any one of those reasons is enough for trash to hate her

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Not only she did voice work, she also did the motion capture in Beyound two souls.

That isn't the Last of Us...

I'm sorry but I love this misconception.

this is Maah-Rio

256.png

this is Mary-O

72px-Img_mashiko_01.gif

I'm not sure what the latter image is from but I chuckled.

louis89

Jun 11, 2018
Tokyo

Motherfuckers in here attempting to even TRY to say she in the right

I'm confused. You're saying that this is different to what she says? To me, both this and Ellen Page are saying "Marry-o", which I believe is correct. Americans always seem to pronounce it "Maar-i-o", which doesn't match either his actual Japanese name (マリオ), or the Italian pronunciation.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I was expecting a total butchering of the pronunciation, however she seems to say it perfectly fine to me.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
To me whenever I hear a lot of Americans say it, it sounds like More-ioh. Between that and Laura Croft, I just can't.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I worked with an Italian guy that pronounced his own name like that and it would mess with my head.

He was probably using the English wrong pronunciation so it'd be easier for you to pick it up? :P

It's actually pretty common for people to "anglosize (?)" their names. In Canada i find people take pride in trying our best to pronounce a persons name as intended in original language. Italian is a common one, even the name Luciana people will pronounce the proper italian way. Lou-Chee-Ah-Nah. I have a friend though whose name is Luciana, and her parents at the time being new immigrants were not aware that Canadians generally put effort into these things.....so they anglosized her name to be Lou-see-Ah-Nah. And now she has to constantly correct people.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Man the only thing that felt worst than hearing that was reading people saying she was actually RIGHT.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Merry-o is a Canadian thing, right? Like saying ree-zorse, aboat, pro-ject, etc.?
Canada has a lot of regional variation. You're going to find less "aboats" and "pro-jects" on the West coast. But yeah, "Merry-o" used to be common across Canada. Since Super Mario 64, there have been way more people pronouncing it "Mah-rio" since they gave it an official pronunciation.

I remember Nintendo's SMB2 commercial said "Merry-o" back in the day, though.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. You're saying that this is different to what she says? To me, both this and Ellen Page are saying "Marry-o", which I believe is correct. Americans always seem to pronounce it "Maar-i-o", which doesn't match either his actual Japanese name (マリオ), or the Italian pronunciation.

Yes, the English pronunciation in that video is very different from what Ellen Page said. I'd recommend any (native especially) English speaker get their ears checked or cleaned out if they think that sounds the same. Whether or not you believe one pronunciation to be correct or not.

It's similar to the difference between Lara and Laura Croft, which I sometimes catch myself making the mistake on. Because Lara as it should be pronounced is not nearly as common a name (in the United States at least) vs. Laura.

There's regional dialects of English sure, but it's not like there's an extremely hard to pronounce accent going on with the iconic Nintendo character's name, at least for native speakers. (I can't really roll my Rs well in Spanish, for example, and I have trouble with some of the more lisp-like pronunciations of a few other morphemes).

I hate this one because the "correct" pronunciation that eventually made it's way into voiced dialogue in some English games is way worse than the "incorrect" one, from a native speaker's POV. It makes way less sense thematically, even if it's more accurate to the Japanese version of the name.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Ellen Page is Canadian from the east coast and that "high A" sound is a super common Canadian pronunciation in lots of words (see also: "pasta") in various parts of the country.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In this, the year 2019 of our Lord, saying Mary-o is akin to saying Meckeh Mouse or Boogs Bunny.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Ellen Page is better than you nerds. Like, why do you even care how she pronounces it? Is she not a real gaemer now? Fuck it. Let's rise up. #EllenPageDestroyYourSwitchAndApologize

Joei

Feb 3, 2018
I went to college with a dude named Mario. If I called him Merry-o like she said it, I'm pretty sure he would have attacked me.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The entire world: Mario!

USA: MARRR EHHH OHHH :DDD——

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Ellen Page is Canadian from the east coast and that "high A" sound is a super common Canadian pronunciation in lots of words (see also: "pasta") in various parts of the country.

I think I know how you say pasta, and well:

Your brutality in the pronunciation of the word pasta is likely a felony in many parts of the US if not other areas of the world.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"I can't handle all the new stuff, because I'm, like, old".

Yeah, you poor, ancient, wrinkled, shriveled 30 year old granny. >_>

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Growing up in Western PA in the 90s I was subjected to this pronunciation a lot because folks learned what I'm assuming is the French pronunciation with Mario Lemieux (a player for the Pittsburgh Penguins at the time).
Yup and the same pretty much applies for all of Canadians of a certain age— which I am, and so is Ellen Page.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Growing up in Western PA in the 90s I was subjected to this pronunciation a lot because folks learned what I'm assuming is the French pronunciation with Mario Lemieux (a player for the Pittsburgh Penguins at the time).
Interesting. I'm from Philly and grew up saying it the same way. After moving to the NY metro I got made fun of enough that I switched over. But that's a good theory on why and could explain why a Canadian like Ellen Paige might do the same.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I'm from Philly and grew up saying it the same way. After moving to the NY metro I got made fun of enough that I switched over. But that's a good theory on why and could explain why a Canadian like Ellen Paige might do the same.

So are you saying soft-enough Canadians wouldn't last in the NY Metro?

Oct 28, 2017
I can only say it as "Mah-rio", every voice line in a game+my dad speaking Italian conditioned me to say it the CORRECT way.

It's like pronouncing Sonic as "Sow-nic" instead of "Sah-nic" despite the character themselves saying their name for years.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
She's awesome, but being awesome doesn't protect you from being wrong. Character has pronounced his own name for ages.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The one thing Mario is known for ever since 64 is constantly saying "It's me, Mario!" So like, just head his voice

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's funny, I wonder if that's how other Canadians say it as well or she picked it up from the NW somewhere.

Of course, when the actual creator of the character calls it a certain way. Indirectly telling him "No, that's not how you say your character's name" is silly.