• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Seriously, he says his name himself. If you are a fluent English speaker there is no reason to be saying merry-oh. Im a fucking country bumpkin from the south and I say it correctly.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup and the same pretty much applies for all of Canadians of a certain age— which I am, and so is Ellen Page.
I don't think it's that universal for Canadians. My family (anglophones from Montreal) pronounce it different than Page or the Mario games. They use an 'a' sound like cat which is different from rhyming it with berry. And I have encountered people my age (over 40) in the Vancouver area pronouncing it Mah-rio before the character said his own name in-game.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Merry oh
Loo iggy
Peh atch
Boh sir
Yəsh eye
Beardo
Sh-why gooey
Vahrt
Tuhtahnguh

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm it is important to pronounce Mario's name correctly. After all I take everyone seriously that has the same first and last name...

Also Ellen is awesome.

louis89

Jun 11, 2018
Tokyo
Yes, the English pronunciation in that video is very different from what Ellen Page said. I'd recommend any (native especially) English speaker get their ears checked or cleaned out if they think that sounds the same. Whether or not you believe one pronunciation to be correct or not.

They sound different but they're saying the same thing. "Marry-o" - Martinet is just putting on a faux Italian accent in his. Martinet and Page both have it right, and most Americans with their "Maar-i-o" rhyming with "cardio" have it wrong.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it's that universal for Canadians. My family (anglophones from Montreal) pronounce it different than Page or the Mario games. They use an 'a' sound like cat which is different from rhyming it with berry. And I have encountered people my age (over 40) in the Vancouver area pronouncing it Mah-rio before the character said his own name in-game.
It's not 100% universal but I've noticed a skew towards Canadians and/or people who have grown up as hockey fans either say Mary-o or switch between both pronounciations. Listen to CAGcast & Beastcast for more evidence :)

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprising how common this is when Mario's been saying his name on title screens for over 2 decades lol.
giphy.gif

Voilà.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I am outraged. This is the last straw. Society? None for me, thanks! I shall go live in the wilderness as a hermit!

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
If Mario himself doesn't pronounce it as "Meryo" then she is saying it wrong. Somewhere in the world there is a guy who's name is actually pronounced "Meryo" because that's how he says it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why there are still people pronouncing it like this when they're specifically referring to this character. Every game pronounces it as Mahrio.

theJwac

Oct 25, 2017
My name is Mario and in the 80s, when I was a kid, the few people who called me Mary-o really pissed me off. The person who held it akin to soda vs. pop has it right. It's heresy.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
They sound different but they're saying the same thing. "Marry-o" - Martinet is just putting on a faux Italian accent in his. Martinet and Page both have it right, and most Americans with their "Maar-i-o" rhyming with "cardio" have it wrong.

You missed the part where I was saying it doesn't matter if the word can be pronounced differently, there's are clear distinction between the two sounds at play here. And if the voice actor is putting a faux Italian accent on, that's correct because Mario is canonically Italian or of Italian descent as a resident of New York City or some such (as posited by the film and TV series.)

The chef Mario Batali isn't called "MarryO Batali".

And while the Italian pronunciation may be closer to how Ellen said it, I still don't think it has quite as much affectation lean into the MARRY part.

So scram :D

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere in Canada, Pat from the now defunct Super Best Friends popped out of his seat and shouted "SEE! SEEE! ITS MERRY-O!"

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me?

Say that again, one more time Ms. Page.

No no no Ms. Page, that's not going to suffice.

I'm afraid this dinner is over, good day madam.

I SAID GOOD DAY MAY-DAM.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
His correct italian pronunciation it's Mah-Ri-O. 'mah' as you'd read 'marvelous', 'ri' as in 'film', 'o' as in 'oscar'. I don't know if that's what his creators had in mind when they named him, but that's how it's pronounced here in Italy

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
His correct italian pronunciation it's Mah-Ri-O. 'mah' as you'd read 'marvelous', 'ri' as in 'film', 'o' as in 'oscar'. I don't know if that's what his creators had in mind when they named him, but that's how it's pronounced here in Italy

I'll only believe the Italian here if he has a picture with the mustachioed plumber himself. Chef Boyardee will also suffice.

I apologize in advance if you or anyone else found this offensive. But I do agree with your interpretation.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I just... don't know how that's even possible. How can you NOT know how to say Mario correctly?

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I'll only believe the Italian here if he has a picture with the mustachioed plumber himself. Chef Boyardee will also suffice.

I apologize in advance if you or anyone else found this offensive. But I do agree with your interpretation.
Ahahah no no I'm not offended, but it's not an interpretation, it's how that name it's actually spelled here :). I can't pronounce english for shit but I know my own language :)