• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if real Marios ever get mad people pronounce their name wrong thanks to that squat plumber.

Oct 25, 2017

137593505136.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm so glad my name isn't Mario, because the likely scenario of some people pronucing my name "Merio" would drive me mad. lol

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes, the English pronunciation in that video is very different from what Ellen Page said. I'd recommend any (native especially) English speaker get their ears checked or cleaned out if they think that sounds the same. Whether or not you believe one pronunciation to be correct or not.
Mario's name pronunciation serious business
geez

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what point in that video should I watch?

Not getting a time stamp on mobile just starts at the start of the video

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
She's pronouncing it correctly though

Americans having the tenacity to butcher an Italian name and then trying to tell the rest of the world they're saying it wrong... wow

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
She pronounced a name funny? Really? Stealth Ellen Page hate thread?

Edit: badly worded, pre-coffee my apologies.. sure there won't be a problem on this forum.

Last edited:

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's pronouncing it correctly though

Americans having the tenacity to butcher an Italian name and then trying to tell the rest of the world they're saying it wrong... wow

Except according to Mario (voice actor and by association Nintendo) she is NOT.... Also it's tendency, tanacity while it makes (some) sense it isn't appropriate for what you're trying to describe. So, it'd be cool if you laid off the "American" generalizations that seem to be so prevalent in places NOT America. The tendency to do so is utterly strenuous and mind numbingly tiring to encounter.

Edit- Addendum

Last edited:

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Except according to Mario (voice actor and by association Nintendo) she is NOT.... Also it's a tendency, tanacity while it makes (some) sense it isn't appropriate for what you're trying to describe. So it'd be cool if you laid off the "Americans" generalizations that seem to be so prevalent in places NOT America.

Edit- Addendum

You're correct. A more appropriate word would be "gall" or "temerity" if using something that starts with "t". There are other synonyms as well int terms of individual words as well as idioms.

Tenacity means something similar, but oh so different.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
She says it how I say it. And how Italians would say it

You can't say 'because he says his own name thats how its spoken'. Thats an American localisation/accent thing IMO - in the UK or Italy you'd call that person Marry-O like she does.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Im italian:

You pronounce it MAA-RRII-OO

You know that Santana Song Maria Maria? Basically the same with O.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

You can't say 'because he says his own name thats how its spoken'. Thats an American localisation/accent thing IMO - in the UK or Italy you'd call that person Marry-O like she does.

Thats's wrong and i don't know where you got this from. You don't call a Mario "Marry-o" in Italy LOL.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.....She says it how you're supposed to say it.

No...

Italians do not pronounce it Mary-oh

Mah (rolled R sound) Ree Oh... Phonetically speaking Martinet says it closer to Italians than Mary-oh will ever be!

Sorry!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
No...

Italians do not pronounce it Mary-oh

Mah (rolled R sound) Ree Oh... Phonetically speaking Martinet says it closer to Italians than Mary-oh will ever be!

Sorry!

is this wrong then?

Martinet is more Mar-ee-o (Mar as in mars) - this is more 'ma' as in 'magic'

or are we talking more about the cadence than the sounds? So Maaaaa-rio rather than Ma-Ri-O? Still a hard 'ma' but held a little longer?

Oct 25, 2017
My parents pronounce it that way because they apparently knew someone in college named Mario that pronounced it that way. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

is this wrong then?

Martinet is more Mar-ee-o (Mar as in mars) - this is more 'ma' as in 'magic'

or are we talking more about the cadence than the sounds? So Maaaaa-rio rather than Ma-Ri-O? Still a hard 'ma' but held a little longer?

I'm not Italian and haven't studied the language, but I think this is still correct. The current VA just kind of has an extra affectation that's more of a personality/excitement thing I think (he's COMING UP AND YOU BETTER GET THIS PARTY STARTED, because It's a me, Mario!)

Either way, it's not realistically Marry-O, like Page pronounced it, and bizarrely, some Canadians and others seem to believe.

The closest thing to Marry-O I can think of is the pronunciation of "mariposa" in Spanish, as far as I'm aware. Which means butterfly by the way.

Sort of on topic, I want to bring up that I still find Spanish rolled "R"s to be difficult a lot of the time to sound authentic. Like "burro". Which is commonly translated as "dumb" or kind of stubborn as an adjective, or "donkey" as a noun. Related concepts.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I'm confused. You're saying that this is different to what she says? To me, both this and Ellen Page are saying "Marry-o", which I believe is correct. Americans always seem to pronounce it "Maar-i-o", which doesn't match either his actual Japanese name (マリオ), or the Italian pronunciation.
Seems to be another one of the Seega Sayga Sehga threads where, whichever is correct, people cannot her the clear diferrence between two distinct pronunciations.

Not having a go at you, if they sound the same to you they sound the same to you. But they are actually very clearly different. Maybe certain native accents colour how people's brains perceive sounds, and made some sound the same or more similar than they actually are?