• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The most natural reading is that the "still" is to emphasize that the fault is on him as in that statement and not on Buzzfeed as the preceding statements might suggest. The natural reading is certainly not that "still" changes the entire topic of conversation.
Curious that he didn't explicitly say that he just made it up and that he's sorry, and that he's still fighting the legal battle, if as you say he's admitting he's entirely in the wrong here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is Elon Musk schizophrenic? he seems to do and say alot of obvious self-damaging stuff as of late.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Lol he's saying he's an idiot for trying to trick Buzzfeed into outing this guy as a pedophile and continuing to insist that he did nothing wrong

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Curious that he didn't explicitly say that he just made it up and that he's sorry, and that he's still fighting the legal battle, if as you say he's admitting he's entirely in the wrong here.
I think you quoted the wrong person. I don't know how anyone would interpret it as anything what he had literally just said - he belived that Buzzfeed wouldn't publish it, so (and despite his assumption) he's an idiot.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Here's where it's stated in the court document:
Musk contends that the republication of his email accusations was not reasonably foreseeable despite the undisputed facts that he emailed them to a reporter with whom he had no historical relationship, calling the reporter a "fucking asshole" in the first sentence, has admitted that he wanted the information published whether true or false, and told the reporter that publication is "up to you." The most accurate description to this defense is set forth by adopting Musk's description of his conduct:

I didn't expect Buzzfeed to publish an off the record email. My intent was to have them investigate and come to their own conclusions, not publish my email directly.Still, I'm a fucking idiot."​
Musk was clear in his deposition that he "expect[ed]that [Mac] would report" the accusations in his email even "if he did not find any evidence to support it." (SF 76). Musk agreed that in that case,he would have expected Mac to report "[t]hat he had looked into it and could not find any substantiation." (Id.). That is exactly what happened, and Musk's entire course of conduct in leaking information to the press, responding to a request for comment from an adversarial reporterwho had already covered the story, making explosive accusations, unilaterally designating themoff the record before telling the reporter that whether to publish was "up to you," and testifying that he wanted it published irrespective of truth or falsity, demonstrates that it was not only foreseeable to Musk that his accusations against Unsworth would be republished, but that he authorized and intended that they would berepublished.

Indeed, on September 4, 2018, Musk offered this assessment of his foreseeability defense in correspondence with his on-retainer outside PR agent:

I didn't expect Buzzfeed to publish an off the record email. My intent was to have them investigate and come to their own conclusions, not publish my email directly. Still, I'm a fucking idiot..​
. . I . . . responded in what I felt was off the record. In the past, Buzzfeed has respected emails prefaced with "off the record," but this time they did not. It was still one of the dumbest things I've ever done....​
(SF 65(emphasis added)).
Muskhimself hasadmitted that he reasonably should have expected the accusations in his emails to Mac to be published. In an email exchange with his outside public relations consultant, Musk wrotethat although his intent was for BuzzFeed "not [to] publish my email directly," "['s]till, I'm afucking idiot." (SF 65 (emphasis added)). Moreover, Musk admitted that although "['I]n the past, Buzzfeed has respected emails with 'off the record,' [] this time they did not" and noted that "[\I]t was still one of the dumbest things I've ever done. . . ." (Id.(emphasis added)). Regardless of what his expectationswere, it is clear from Musk's own emails that he recognized that BuzzFeed had the rightto publish theinformation contained in his emails. It was up to BuzzFeed whether to "respect[]" emails prefaced with "off the record," which means that it was reasonably foreseeable that BuzzFeed would republish the emails

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like he's saying he's an idiot for expecting a journalist to keep something secret because he unilaterally declared it to be off the record. Not because he, you know, called some innocent guy a pedophile to try to win an argument on Twitter.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Right, he made it all himself~
Clearly it wasn't from his family's fortune made during the apartheid.
/s

You people need to stop with this 'self made man' bullshit. Wealth ≠ Intelligence.

Musk acknowledged back in June 2018 (via Twitter), "I arrived in North America at 17 with $2,000, a backpack and a suitcase full of books. Paid my own way through college. Dropped out of Stanford Engineering/Physics grad school with $110,000 in college debt."

And you people need to stop telling fairytales to slander the guy when he does plenty of that on his own lol

I brought my kids up as a single mother with very little money, and we survived. We used to live in a rent-controlled apartment in Toronto with Elon on the couch. It took three weeks to clean, then I saved to buy $5 sheets. Eventually I bought beds, then a computer, and after that chairs – you can always work on the floor. I cut their hair, gave them mani-pedis, wore $19 shoes to walk the runway. You don't need massages to be happy.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad he admitted it at least.

Let's hope he actually makes true amends for his actions.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His family owns emerald mines, man. Be sensible.

Here's a scrappy young upstart Musk selling emeralds to Tiffany's at the age of 18.
www.businessinsider.co.za

Business Insider

Business Insider tells the global tech, finance, markets, media, healthcare, and strategy stories you want to know.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

Here's a scrappy young upstart Musk selling emeralds to Tiffany's at the age of 18.

Business Insider

Business Insider tells the global tech, finance, markets, media, healthcare, and strategy stories you want to know.

I don't not believe this article but this sounds like out of a bad comedy:

"We were very wealthy," says Errol. "We had so much money at times we couldn't even close our safe."

With one person holding the money in place, another other would slam the door.

"And then there'd still be all these notes sticking out and we'd sort of pull them out and put them in our pockets."

Oct 27, 2017
4C6uKfO.png

Sorry for the shit-tacular edit job on this one. Couldn't find a clean image source for this meme.
Evergreen *chefs kiss*

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Business Insider

His mom left his dad Elon has been estranged from his father since he left for Canada at 17 calls him an evil man and has never let his children meet him... Because he was wealthy as a child and has nothing to do with his success he never saw a cent of that money as an adult lol

Edit: the father claims he loaned Elon and his brother 30k to start their first business zip to but this is something both brothers deny before someone comes along with a link... But even if true 30k is hardly Donald Trump inheritance money like this forum likes to pretend is the situation with Musk

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Why hasn't Musk just written this guy a check yet?

It's far more damaging to his wallet, company, and public image to let this play out, no?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine defending Elon Musk in 2019. Smart people don't call people pedophiles on the internet when they get mad.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He is an idiot. He is also an asshole, a narcissist, and a petulant child. I can't imagine defending such a piece of trash.

Nov 14, 2017
Everyone makes mistakes and says stupid shit, but you have to have the balls to admit you were wrong/dumb/stupid.

Good for you Elon.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone makes mistakes and says stupid shit, but you have to have the balls to admit you were wrong/dumb/stupid.

Good for you Elon.

He didn't admit what he did was wrong. He was upset about getting caught. Read the article.

Also, he tripled down on calling the diver a pedophile just because he couldn't admit to being wrong and his ego was too fragile. This isn't good for him at all.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Maybe something was lost in translation since English is not my native language, but ...

Did Musk investigated the guy just because he said that the submarine wouldn't work?

Jesus f*cking christ, so petty

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Have we moved from the "I wasn't actually calling him a pedophile" to the "I was an idiot not being malicious" defense?

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because if this thread's a testament to anything, it's how trustworthy Elon Musk is.
He's a fucking idiot, period. But what makes you think that the way he came up in the world is how you describe it? Why is his father telling the truth and not him and his brother. This forum sometimes...

Also, he can be a total tool, a fucking idiot and a douche which he clearly is and be intelligent and deserve what he earned. They are two separate things. My boss is a fucking idiot and he grew his business on his own without anyone's help.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Good for you Elon.
He is calling himself an idiot not because he went after a hero by calling him a pedo, but because his tactics in doing so were poor. He hasn't turned any corner and likely never will. He is a piece of shit.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So can we call him a fucking idiot now without one of his defenders using his intelligence as an excuse to the contrary?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you're still on the Elon Musk train after these last 3 or 4 years, then that train only has one stop: Crazy Town.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If someone's post history is 99% praise of Musk, and there are a few posters who fit that profile, then they're either on his payroll or in a cult, so at a certain point you have to not worry about what they say/think.