• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018

Elon Musk's tweets calling caver Vernon Unsworth, who was involved in the rescue of 13 people from a cave in Thailand, a "pedo guy" are not defamation, a jury found. As a result, Musk will not be liable for damages, according to the ruling.

The standard in the case is recklessness, which means Musk didn't check to see if what he was saying was true before he tweeted it. The jury had to be convinced by a preponderance of the evidence that this was true, a lower standard than "actual malice."

oh boy

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if this is just or not. But tbh of all the things wrong in the world, Elon getting away with a name call is the least of my concerns.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Must have had some slick lawyers. Not surprising, being rich and all.

Oct 26, 2017
Musk you fucking idiot. Did you at least apologize to the man? Maybe offer him a sum of money for all the shit you've given him? Or is acting like an adult too much to ask?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this would go to appeal. I wonder at what level of court this was.

Pretty ridiculous on its face.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Something seriously needs to be done about billionaires, and the people who idolise them need to grow the fuck up.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So you can say whatever you want about anyone as long as you don't bother to look up the truth before hand?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine but Musk also needs to learn that just because he is good at one or two things doesn't make his words gospel and he can just butt in on things he knows nothing about and expect everyone to bow down to him.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
This guy Unsworth's lawyer (or his client) F'ed up. The jury sat through two days of testimony about this case and the dude asked for almost $200 million dollars. It was a jury trial; this guy played his hand like a fool.

Edit: never been on musk's side of this case but damn this shouldn't have played out this way.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I can see this actually. From my studies at media college there were media law courses which explained the difference. I think defamation is more than just hurling an insult. You have to be sharing the info as bonifide fact and you have to prove that the statement actually had some sort of monetary impact on the receiving party.

I can say McDonalds burgers are full of shit or I can release an expose where I claim McDonalds burgers are literally full of shit and people take note and avoid McDonalds.
Not really an elegant way to get the point across but hopefully that kinda makes sense. It'ss also been kinda awhile since I did that course and I'm sure Scottish defamation laws are a little different than others.

Still a shitty thing to do though. Shouldn't be smiling for taken all the way to court for being a juvenile jackass even if he got away with it.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"he couldn't possibly have known that he's not a pedo so it's just a silly mistake! no worriez elon sama"

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I can see this actually. From my studies at media college there were media law courses which explained the difference. I think defamation is more than just hurling an insult. You have to be sharing the info as bonifide fact and you have to prove that the statement actually had some sort of monetary impact on the receiving party.

I can say McDonalds burgers are full of shit or I can release an expose where I claim McDonalds burgers are literally full of shit and people take note and avoid McDonalds. Not really an elegant way to get the point across, it's also been kinda awhile since I did that course and I'm sure Scottish defemation laws are a little different than others.

Still a shitty thing to do though. Shouldn't be smiling for taken all the way to court for being a juvenile jackass even if he got away with it.

This is it, which is why the law ruled how it did.

However, what has to be taken into account in the current socially connected world we live in is the power dynamics of someone like Musk calling you a pedo, and that making you "famous" versus thousands of angry Twitter profiles now @ing Musk calling him a pedo.

His public figure is known well-enough for probable doubt that he is actually a pedo because random people call him it. Someone who isn't famous and isn't known getting called a pedo by a famous person leads to those who hear it having "credibility" to assume said person may well be a paedophile.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, drive by, prior warnings for similar behavior
People in this thread are even saltier than that soup.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You wonder how much the amount he asked for played into this. It was kind of a silly number.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so the jury thought there was at least a 50% chance that Musk had actively checked to see if this random guy he knew nothing about was, in fact, a pedophile?

There's no way I'm reading that excerpt from the article right, surely? Like, if the standard were "actual malice," or "recklessness" + "beyond reasonable doubt", but "preponderance of evidence" + "recklessness" sounds like a super easy bar to clear.