• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can I call you a pedo? Will you inform forum staff that's it's okay if I say you rape children

If you did that you would be banned, deservedly. But you wouldn't owe him millions of dollars.

So are you are saying Musk deserves to be banned from twitter? Because that's something else entirely and I would agree.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you did that you would be banned, deservedly. But you wouldn't owe him millions of dollars.

So are you are saying Musk deserves to be banned from twitter? Because that's something else entirely and I would agree.
I'm not defaming lunchbox, according to his own argument. As such I shouldn't be banned since I'm not doing anything wrong in their eyes

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forum moderation isn't based on US laws. It's a private server with private rules.
Yes but to his point, I'd need free range here to accuse lunchbox of being a pedophile to fully prove it's not defamation. If I'm banned I clearly can't reproduce a fraction of the action Musk has taken

Edit: Let's be clear I don't think lunchbox is a pedophile

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but to his point, I'd need free range here to accuse lunchbox of being a pedophile to fully prove it's not defamation. If I'm banned I clearly can't reproduce a fraction of the action Musk has taken

Edit: Let's be clear I don't think lunchbox is a pedophile

I'm not following your point at all here. Not illegal != not shitty. Here you can be banned for shitty. Outside in the big blue room you are not legally liable.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Well my firm and I all agreed the diver was never going to win because there was no actual damages to his reputation or business and 150 million or whatever is crazy. Punitive damages are super hard to get as well. But Just look at the internet, people think musk continues to be the worst and the others were like well musk was just talking shit leave him alone. The divers reputation in all this was never really called out and prob improved
That was my interpretation as well. The diver needed to prove his actual reputation was harmed and that it's affecting him financially.

Considering I dont even know the dudes name, he's got a hard case to prove.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not following your point at all here. Not illegal != not shitty. Here you can be banned for shitty. Outside in the big blue room you are not legally liable.
If someone is fine with the lack of consequences out there they should be fine with the lack of consequences here.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone is fine with the lack of consequences out there they should be fine with the lack of consequences here.

Huh? Why? I'm fine with people not being thrown in jail or sued for a great number of things that I'm also perfectly fine with leading to a ban here. Your argument is pretty nonsensical.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

If you brought Elon Musk here he'd likely be banned? The owner of this forum can actually ban you for anything, the TOS here is purely subjective and mods can technically do whatever the fuck they want.

The expectations of a private forum ran by a private citizen are not the same as a court of law which has the ability to compel you to pay money or remove you from society.

Being banned from Resetera does neither. Calling someone a pedo on here will get you banned but that doesn't mean you need to PayPal them $100. Twitter could ban Musk like Twitter could ban anyone if it actually upheld its TOS.

Like Era though Twitter can be as subjective as it wants, and it is. The way it treats celebs is never the same as how it might treat regular citizens. Just like Twitch and YouTube will give their big users 25 lives to keep doing or saying shitty things that might get other users booted on life 1.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly the fact that he's managed to keep his mouth in check in recent months is shocking but I feel like that might change now that he's won this.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was the diver seriously taking Elon Musk to court for 200 million dollars? I see that number being chucked around but it's hard to believe, that's a ridiculous amount. The diver is greedy and wanted to profit from someone else's work.

I was on the side of the diver initially but if he was indeed trying to get 200 million dollars then no, I side with Elon Musk and he was he victim here of someone's attempt to try and legally steal some money. What he did was dumb but insulting someone doesn't warrant giving that much money.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is true, and you just read it, you need to provide a source because this just sounds like a conspiracy and there is a whole other layer of problems if information about jurors was revealed.
It was from the verge, they had a journalist covering the case, said how one person was actually excused because they were actually a billionaire

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
If the Vic Mignogna thread has taught me anything about defamation cases, it's that the accuser needs actually show the receipts for defamation. Financial losses due to the defamation, lifestyle alterations due to defamation, among other things. While several of the checkboxes were definitely ticked, for someone to be found guilty all of the checkboxes need to be. At least from what I understand. I'm not a lawyer.

I think this is one of those cases of don't hate the player, hate the game. Of course hiring a good lawyer to make certain points more convincing is way easier when you're rich compared to when you don't have access to money.

I think hating on the jurors or making up conspiracy theories of bribery is kind of a bad look.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was the diver seriously taking Elon Musk to court for 200 million dollars? I see that number being chucked around but it's hard to believe, that's a ridiculous amount. The diver is greedy and wanted to profit from someone else's work.

I was on the side of the diver initially but if he was indeed trying to get 200 million dollars then no, I side with Elon Musk and he was he victim here of someone's attempt to try and legally steal some money. What he did was dumb but insulting someone doesn't warrant giving that much money.
Hope you're not saying that it was Elon's work that made him his money

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
receipts?
Lawyers pick jurors and there's no way in hell the plaintiff's lawyer would have allowed that. It WOULD have come up during selection.
Here you go -
O JURY, WHERE ART THOU?
But first we had to find a jury. Four people said they were Tesla owners — one of whom specified that he had an old-school Roadster, one of whom said they had both an X and an S — but this would not impair their judgment. Three people had connections — as contractors or shareholders — with SpaceX or Boring Company, but were similarly confident about their judgment. One prospective juror said that he had an upcoming job interview with SpaceX and could not be impartial. He was excused. Two other jurors were excused because they followed Musk on Twitter.

After the bulk questions, eight prospective jurors were called into the box and questioned individually. These people were asked more specific questions about whether they were related to any lawyers, what their spouses and kids did and whether they had any "strong opinion, whether negative or positive, about whether someone is a billionaire." Most people answered no; an aesthetician who answered "yes" was excused. Only one prospective juror indicated he had strong opinions — "both negative and positive" — about Musk. He ended up on the jury.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/...ernon-unsworth-tweet-negligence-la-courthouse

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
If this is true, and you just read it, you need to provide a source because this just sounds like a conspiracy and there is a whole other layer of problems if information about jurors was revealed.
It was from the verge, they had a journalist covering the case, said how one person was actually excused because they were actually a billionaire

Here's an article I found. The statements are regarding potential jurors that needed to be dismissed for the following reasons
  • Multiple potential jurors admitted to having links to Musk's various companies including Tesla, SpaceX, the Boring Company, Open AI, and Neuralink.
  • Four owned Tesla cars.
  • One was due for a job interview at SpaceX.
  • One was dismissed due to having strong opinions about billionaires.
In addition to some potential jurors having followed him on Twitter.

Seems like there was a really bad case of broken telephone going on here.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see the jury instructions and what level of evidence that the plaintiff had to meet.

Sort of reminds me when people lost their minds when a Florida jury did not convict Casey Anthony of murdering her children.

It was one child and she was guilty as hell. I saw some interviews with jurors afterwards and they were fucking idiots.

Idiots on a jury is nothing new; lawyers bank on it. That said, it sounds like a defamation case is hard to prove.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uncalled for shit name calling and stupid as shit punitive damages. Dumb all round by the both of them.

Yeah, no. Musk is a egotistical piece of dog shit who tried to use that situation - where kids were trapped in an underwater cave - to showboat. Like so many rich people (and Silicon Valley jackwads) he thought he was automatically brilliant in everything and offered an entirely unhelpful submarine nobody asked for even as professional rescue divers were actually doing something of merit, including one brave soul who died. When Unsworth called Musk out on his bullshit, the little man made big by his money had a twitter meltdown and called him a pedophile.

And FYI, the amount of Unsworth sought had nothing to do with the verdict. Lawyers always highball and juries usually come in much lower if they agree damages should be paid.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm imagining that and I don't see the big deal. People, especially people online, say stupid shit to and about each other all the time as insults and I just ignore it and most everyone should. Hell, everyone ignored Musk's tweet for the most part because they've got enough of a brain cell to figure out that he's just being a dick.

Last I checked, being a dick wasn't against the law.

Good thing for you, huh?

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, no. Musk is a egotistical piece of dog shit who tried to use that situation - where kids were trapped in an underwater cave - to showboat. Like so many rich people (and Silicon Valley jackwads) he thought he was automatically brilliant in everything and offered an entirely unhelpful submarine nobody asked for even as professional rescue divers were actually doing something of merit, including one brave soul who died. When Unsworth called Musk out on his bullshit, the little man made big by his money had a twitter meltdown and called him a pedophile.

And FYI, the amount of Unsworth sought had nothing to do with the verdict. Lawyers always highball and juries usually come in much lower if they agree damages should be paid.

Stupid on both sides, they both went after each other. Calling someone a pedo is total horseshit but asking for 200Mil is living in outer space dreamland.

IMO some compensation should be in order though.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You side with an egomaniac who tried to use a potential tragedy to boost his own profile while the real heroes were helping keep those kids alive?

One of those divers died helping those kids while Elon was making useless toys and calling one of the real heroes a pedo.

Oct 27, 2017
Two possibilities:

1) Slander effectively no longer exists in the USA. It is okay to calm someone whatever you want without fear of legal reprisal. That is the precedent this case sets.

2) The means of a billionaire.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stupid on both sides, they both went after each other. Calling someone a pedo is total horseshit but asking for 200Mil is living in outer space dreamland.

IMO some compensation should be in order though.

There's no equivalency here. Unworth called Musk out for shoving his idiot nose into a situation he literally knew nothing about because he thought "Hey, I'm Elon Musk and I know everything."

Unsworth was entirely right to do so and frankly, I don't have a problem with the amount he sued for because Musk didn't just punch down, he tried to drop a social media bomb on the guy for daring to question the unfettered and intractable genius of Elon Musk.

Musk is nothing more than a bully and I don't give a rat's hairy sack how hard a bully gets punched back.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two possibilities:

1) Slander effectively no longer exists in the USA. It is okay to calm someone whatever you want without fear of legal reprisal. That is the precedent this case sets.

2) The means of a billionaire.
There's actually three:

3) Defamation is legally defined just as it always was and is still extremely hard to successfully sue for in court

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
has anyone been successfully sued for a twitter comment before?

I'm surprised people are hurling around conspiracy theories of jurors being paid off, or some kind of billionaire bias, when the opposite is true.
the only reason he got sued for the pedo tweet is because he is rich and famous.

Last edited:

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Two possibilities:

According to this, it has been this way for a very long time. This case means nothing.

In addition to some potential jurors having followed him on Twitter.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/elon-musk-defamation-trial-jurors-dismissed-2019-12-1028736484
Seems like there was a really bad case of broken telephone going on here.

I own a Tesla and I don't like or worship Elon. I don't care about who owns the company whose product I eat/drive/own. That is an impossible task and will drive you insane. Just look at any Chick-fil-a thread on this forum.
The other post about four people owning Teslas is normal since this case was in CA and Teslas are everywhere in CA. Dismissing those potential jurors does make sense since they may be biased. And a guy applying at SpaceX, man our judicial system needs to screen people better. Why waste that guy's time and the lawyers when they know he will be dismissed.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
According to this, it has been this way for a very long time. This case means nothing.

I own a Tesla and I don't like or worship Elon. I don't care about who owns the company whose product I eat/drive/own. That is an impossible task and will drive you insane. Just look at any Chick-fil-a thread on this forum.
The other post about four people owning Teslas is normal since this case was in CA and Teslas are everywhere in CA. Dismissing those potential jurors does make sense since they may be biased. And a guy applying at SpaceX, man our judicial system needs to screen people better. Why waste that guy's time and the lawyers when they know he will be dismissed.
That was the screening. Jurors are chosen randomly and then are screened to see if they are fit for the case or not by the judge.