• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of the embedded tweet it says "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection."
I really like not being tracked...

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah I have that too. Now I can't read any tweet on the forum anymore without clicking it first. Kind of a pain.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What browser are you using?

I'm in Chrome and I can read everything and see pictures. I can't view videos though.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah its been that way for me for a while, if you just right click and open in a new tab it takes you to the tweet tho

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I've ever gotten the embedded tweets to show on Firefox is disabling tracking protection for ERA. Luckily you can toggle it on a site-by-site basis - click the padlock to the left of the URL.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
it never worked in firefox mobile(with tracking protection since era started with imbedding) .. but also i think it is a wrong approach to rely on imbed links to twitter.. always best to screenshot controversial posts.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something? It's embedded tweets, of course they are tracking. Pretty sure it has always been tracking. The add-ons might have finally added it to the list of things to block.

OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something? It's embedded tweets, of course they are tracking. Pretty sure it has always been tracking. The add-ons might have finally added it to the list of things to block.
I am using Firefox's built-in tracking protection, which did not get upated today, and it just stopped working.
Pretty sure Twitter did something.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I have "do not track" turned on on Chrome for Android and can see tweets just fine. Is that not the same thing?
It's not. "Do Not Track" is an honor system-based request to not be tracked, whereas what we're talking about actually blocks the tracking methods from being loaded.

---

I've never been able to use Firefox's built-in tracking protection and view embedded tweets simultaneously - the tweets just never loaded. uBlock Origin loaded down with privacy filters works fine with embedded tweets, though.

Last edited:

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's not. "Do Not Track" is an honor system-based request to not be tracked, whereas what we're talking about actually blocks the tracking methods from being loaded.

---

I've never been able to use Firefox's built-in tracking protection and view embedded tweets simultaneously - the tweets just never loaded. uBlock Origin loaded down with privacy filters works fine with embedded tweets, though.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
ive also noticed that trying to go from an embedded tweet to actual twitter is broken too, it just loads a white page with a "click to continue" link that does nothing

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Embedded tweets are a mistake anyway. When people delete, they disappear and it happens all the time on here. Much prefer screenshots...

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I can see them but if I click the link I cannot really go directly to the tweet it sends me to a page that says 'continue' with a link that goes to another page that says 'continue' lol (Safari)

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I hate embedded tweets. Feels like half the time it's just people plugging their own account with like ten followers instead of just writing their response directly here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I vote you quote the tweeter texts when making ops/post. If not? PERMBAN. I hate being out of the loop and pulling out my phone clearly means I'm not working. Its blocked @ work.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As a lazy person, what's the point of embedding a tweet if you have to copy/paste the text anyway?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a lazy person, what's the point of embedding a tweet if you have to copy/paste the text anyway?
Not every one copy/pastes the text. The link just shows you the text. It's helpful because you use it as a "source" and that you're not just randomly copy/pasting bits of pieces or misinterpreting the text

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding was that Firefox's Tracking Protection feature is more than just an ad blocker, and they have been expanding on what it does to further improve online privacy.

I'm not sure what changed, but the Twitter embeds have been broken here for a while too - though they used to work.
Twitter embeds disappear if the original tweet is deleted, so I'd prefer that people quoted them anyway (posting images of text is the worst).

The broken Twitter embeds, and allowing people to post images from hosts that don't support HTTPS are two very frustrating things about browsing ResetEra (I have mixed content blocked).

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me whole posts that contains Twitter beds disappear (leaving a blank space the size of the hidden post).

megaspel

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've found a potential solution.

There's this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/twitter-container/?src=search
It means Twitter only knows you're logged on at twitter.com, which means you can disable tracking protection for resetera without worrying about Twitter specifically tracking you.

EDIT: Looks like this still doesn't embed tweets, but at least images linked from tweets are working now, and don't just leave an empty space where you have to use the inspector to find the URL.

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've found a potential solution.

There's this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/twitter-container/?src=search
It means Twitter only knows you're logged on at twitter.com, which means you can disable tracking protection for resetera without worrying about Twitter specifically tracking you.

EDIT: Looks like this still doesn't embed tweets, but at least images linked from tweets are working now, and don't just leave an empty space where you have to use the inspector to find the URL.
Bumping this, because I'm still suffering from this problem. I'm installing this Twitter container, hopefully that'll help a little. I've tried disabling everything I could think of and this is still happening. :(

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
OK, I finally figured out how to fix this problem on my computer (FireFox browser):

Go to an ERA thread page with a post that has an embedded twitter link somewhere on it. This will cause a Sheild icon with a diagonal line through it to pop up in FireFox's URL bar at the top. Click on the shield to bring up a small sub-menu. Of the three categories shown, what you want to click is in the Content Blocking section. Hit the button that says "Turn Off Blocking for This Site".

That should do it. I've tested a few other threads and I can now see the content of all embedded tweets without clicking on a link.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I finally figured out how to fix this problem on my computer (FireFox browser):

Go to an ERA thread page with a post that has an embedded twitter link somewhere on it. This will cause a Sheild icon with a diagonal line through it to pop up in FireFox's URL bar at the top. Click on the shield to bring up a small sub-menu. Of the three categories shown, what you want to click is in the Content Blocking section. Hit the button that says "Turn Off Blocking for This Site".

That should do it. I've tested a few other threads and I can now see the content of all embedded tweets without clicking on a link.
I'm going to try this when I get home. Hopefully it works.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IT WORKED THANK YOU SO MUCH