• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
In a recent presentation, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors briefly teases new projects from Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal.

"Looking at the IPs again, there is a pipeline that is very interesting. It's a little bit hard to talk around the pipeline without disclosing too much, but I was pleased to see during our transaction period that actually Crystal Dynamics did announce they are working on a new Tomb Raider. At least I can say that,."

Wingefors then said this in a later Q&A section:

"Obviously we are super excited about the new Tomb Raider game. It's not only Tomb Raider, it's also a number of very sizable AAA experiences in the pipeline, both based on beloved franchises that we will own as well as original IPs. It's a very interesting pipeline."
"I would say the pipeline is generally broader beyond these 2 years. So there will be a few years now where there will not be as many big new games coming out, and there will be some amazing things coming through these studios looking further ahead."

Presentation Slides can be found here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I always found Crystal Dynamics just randomly announcing Tomb Raider at a UE5 event that mostly developers were going to tune into pretty odd. Guess it makes sense now.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
unknown.png

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Their first order of business should be to release TR trilogy and Deus Ex duology on PS5 all running in 60fps/rtx/hdr/4k and all that jazz.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
They already have 3 announced projects (PD, TR and Deus Ex), how many more they can have in the pipeline lol?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
One of them has to be Gex for sure. Embracer has recognised that there isn't enough games out there where you play as a gecko.

OP
OP
Deeke

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Quick notes:

• Embracer says post-transaction they will have 30 AAA games in development.
  • Wingefors also says that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are "well-suited to handle multiple projects at once".
  • Eidos-Montreal studio head David Anfossi says studio is "working on several developments that all collaborate on Unreal Engine 5."
I'm betting Eidos is helping with Tomb Raider UE5 while also doing their own thing (probably the third chapter in Jensen's Deus Ex saga).

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This is why they bought them I still think, the ability to work on multiple AAA games. The IP is whatever.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Embracer lacked AAA studios to an extend so thats probably the main thing he looks at here.

Now these games were probably greenlit under SE management I would assume? Hope one of them is Deus Ex. Please given Jensen his ending.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Quick notes:

• Wingefors also says that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are "well-suited to handle multiple projects at once".
  • Eidos-Montreal studio head David Anfossi says studio is "working on several developments that all collaborate on Unreal Engine 5."
I'm betting Eidos is helping with Tomb Raider UE5 while also doing their own thing (probably the third chapter in Jensen's Deus Ex saga).
They already confirmed that Eidos is currently working on existing and new IP. Unless they have more than two teams working on games nowadays (haven't they usually only been split into two?), one game is something brand new, while the other would likely be either Deus Ex or helping Crystal Dynamics with Tomb Raider, but not both.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Quick notes:

Interesting that the seem to have dumped Crystal Engine and have switched to UE5. I'm pretty convinced Nixxes being bought by Sony plays a role in that. They were Eidos/CDs "tech support'.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
all i need is confirmation that one of those games is deus ex. the fact that we'll probably have to wait a couple years to know if we're getting a new one or not drives me nuts

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
But like no greenlit new mid-to-large projects, right? I haven't looked it up, just nothing immediately comes to mind.

The remasters etc. seem like a good way to build some capital, I just don't know how much they've beyond that.

They have like 200 projects or so in the works, some those must be that.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
As a huge Deus Ex fan -- Human Revolution is probably my favorite game of all time and what caused me, in my 30s, to reevaluate what video games could be -- I am happy beyond words to hear this news. After playing Mankind Divided and eagerly awaiting the continuation of a story that was clearly chopped off, I thought a sequel would be out in a year or so; by 2018 at the latest. Let's see it finally, Embracer. I'm ready to... embrace what this game can become.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good, this is all I want honestly.

Interesting to see what comes in the future.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Actually who has the legacy of kain/soul reaver rights? Did embracer get that too?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
So... how much has actually come out of Embracer's acquisitions?

A lot, it's just that they have a lot of subsidiaries so people don't know that it's all under Embracer. Valheim was a hit indie game last year that sold 10 million copies. Well it was published by Coffee Stain Publishing which is under Coffee Stain Holding which is owned by Embracer.

And since a lot of their acquisitions are more recent, their developers might still be working with other publishers. Flying Hog Studios is owned by Embracer under Koch Media. They released Shadow Warriors 3 earlier this year and will release Trek to Yomi later this year. But the games are published by Devolver Digital, who is not owned by Embracer.

They release a lot of games, just not under the Embracer brand. I'm curious where these new studios will end up in their corporate structure.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really would love to see a deep dive on Embracer as a publisher, it's owned-studios output and the like. They just feel so nebulous to me, no clue what kind of plan or vision they have for all of these acquisitions.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Embracer seems to be more in on their actual audience, and how to handle western markets, especially Europe.
Could wokr in foavor of the Studios they have taken over. Not shure if the marvel stuff works with that.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Hitman really took off after Square Enix let go.

Its very possible that their IPs could get a new lease on life with their change in management.