• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No suprises there. They took a niche product sequel, that needed crowdfunding to happen, and tainted the perception of the product by pulling such a shortsighted dumb move for the PC version.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a mass market product because it feels like a student project, it has none of the polish that 1 & 2 have. I was shocked at just how rough it was given the amount of years spent developing it.

Shenmue 1 & 2 are far more fleshed out, and are vastly superior games compared to this fanfic.

I was a diehard fan of the first two games, and I did not enjoy 3.

Jun 12, 2018
From their official report

"Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let's Sing 2020. Moreover, Metro Exodus continued to give a significant con-tribution to Deep Silver's revenue in the quarter, as well as other notable back catalog titles such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and Outward."

Add to op

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I could have told you that 5 years ago when the game was announced via a kickstarter that already killed all future sales.
They lost sales with that move.
they lost 99% of their sales when they decided to fund the game via a kickstarter, i dont think the Epic Games Store exclusivity significantly impacted a game that already sold to its fanbase 5 years ago.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
From their official report

"Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let's Sing 2020. Moreover, Metro Exodus continued to give a significant con-tribution to Deep Silver's revenue in the quarter, as well as other notable back catalog titles such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and Outward."

Add to op

For that to change anything would assume Wingefors wasn't aware of the particulars, which, given his position, seems exceedingly unlikely. The message underlying his comment is clear: he feels Deep Silver bet on the wrong horse. The game wasn't a disaster, of course, especially given Epic's bag of cash, but I do wonder if Wingefore's comment indicates he'll be keeping a closer eye on the viability of Koch Media's operational independence.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Well, poor sales never seem to stand in the way of more Shenmue so... time to announce Shenmue 4!

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also clear that Epic Game Store isn't mass market. Screw this game after that move.
It probably lost some sales cause of that, but it's far from the reason the game didn't sell well. It's just a niche game, that much was already clear from the first two games. There's a reason Sega didn't let Yu Suzuki make a third game.

I imagine that whatever sales they may have lost from EGS exclusivity was covered by money they got for making it exclusive anyway. It's not like the game would have been a huge success had it launched on Steam.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a mass market product because it feels like a student project, it has none of the polish that 1 & 2 have. I was shocked at just how rough it was given the amount of years spent developing it.

Shenmue 1 & 2 are far more fleshed out, and are vastly superior games compared to this fanfic.

I was a diehard fan of the first two games, and I did not enjoy 3.
What...? Shenmue III is like both SI &SII in that they are products of their time. SI & SII aren't mass market products either. Neither back then or now. Plus, those were AAA games like you said. SIII is an indie game with AA resources aiming for the same kind of experience,so of course it's not going to feel as polished. If the scope was smaller it would also feel like a smaller game. The time it takes has nothing to do with how it compares to AAA games.

Jun 12, 2018
For that to change anything would assume Wingefors wasn't aware of the particulars, which, given his position, seems exceedingly unlikely. The message underlying his comment is clear: he feels Deep Silver bet on the wrong horse. The game wasn't a disaster, of course, especially given Epic's bag of cash, but I do wonder if Wingefore's comment indicates he'll be keeping a closer eye on the viability of Koch Media's operational independence.

I hear ya, but its obvious Shenmue isnt a mass appeal product. Everyone knows that. Yet it was Deep Silvers main revenue driver last quarter. Sounds like it sold well, but they may have had AAA projections which is naive.

Dunno what to make of it all tbh

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I hear ya, but its obvious Shenmue isnt a mass appeal product. Everyone knows that. Yet it was Deep Silvers main revenue driver last quarter. Sounds like it sold well, but they may have had AAA projections which is naive.

Dunno what to make of it all tbh

I don't think they had AAA projections at all, Embracer Group has very low expectations and they were quite happy with how Remnant and Darksiders Genesis performed.

Probably they invested a lot on Shemue III and it didn't pay off, they were not expecting to sell something like 1 million of copies at all.

Last edited:

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Have people read THQ's financial report? Shenmue III is not the usual case of "Shenmue not selling much it's obvious". Shenmue III 50k players on PS4 including KS backers and even second-hand copies and account sharing. Wonder how many people actually bought the game on PS4 then. 10k? I don't see how EGS would fair any better. I don't see any kind of legs either. Thats atrocious. To my knowledge both Shenmue I and II passed a million units.

Oct 27, 2017
It is not like the way they handled the pc version and the way the game was sold isn't a chunk of the problem. Not at all.

First thing is first, why the hell is there a season pass for a Shenmue game?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What...? Shenmue III is like both SI &SII in that they are products of their time. SI & SII aren't mass market products either. Neither back then or now. Plus, those were AAA games like you said. SIII is an indie game with AA resources aiming for the same kind of experience,so of course it's not going to feel as polished. If the scope was smaller it would also feel like a smaller game. The time it takes has nothing to do with how it compares to AAA games.

Sorry, Shenmue III isn't an indie game.
It has a publisher (Deep Silver)
It's studio is like 45 people
It had an external studio for 3D models

AA production ? Sure. Indie ? That might have been the case at the begining.

And no, Shenmue III isn't a product of its time. Shenmue I-II weren't either, but that's because they were ahead of their time. In fact, I'd say some elements, mainly cutscenes direction and gameplay integration inside cutscenes were ahead of Shenmue III. Or more like, S3 was a step back in that regard.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Pissing off your audience by making the game EGS exclusive when it was already niche doesn't seem very bright.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refunded my Backing and won't purchase it when it comes to Steam
So go fuck yourself Deep Silver

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pissing off your audience by making the game EGS exclusive when it was already niche doesn't seem very bright.

It's also clear that Epic Game Store isn't mass market. Screw this game after that move.

Tell me more about how the epic game store is the problem, that forsaking our lord and saviour steam cast them in to the bowels of the game industry and that's why it sold mediocre numbers on all platforms.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Probably it's done fine financially for them because Deep Silver sold out PC backers to Epic.
Fans didn't enjoy that, but let's not mention that.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Tell me more about how the epic game store is the problem, that forsaking our lord and saviour steam cast them in to the bowels of the game industry and that's why it sold mediocre numbers on all platforms.
Pissing off your audience is a problem when the game has zero marketing and needs good word of mouth to have any chance of being a success.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
It needs an xbox and switch port and then hopefully they can bring out a sequel as a digital only title. Shenmue 3 was more or less a miracle, i mean i was 18 when shenmue 2 had come out and lived another 18 years for the sequel. It really should never be taken for granted. I would back a sequel simply because i would love to see the series finished. I don't think there will be more than 2 more games as we now know for sure that it won't make millions and cannot be stretched out and milked. Whilst unlikely, it could just be finished off in one game with a lot of cutscenes. I doubt yu suzuki would want to just leave it at that.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right - always important to have realistic expectations for these passion projects.

Jun 12, 2018
Thanks for updating the thread.

Here's a link to the report

https://embracer.com/investors/reports-presentations/

Shenmue 3 quote

"Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let's Sing 2020. Moreover, Metro Exodus continued to give a significant con-tribution to Deep Silver's revenue in the quarter"

If that could be added to the op aswell, then we'll have all the information released added to a single post for everyone to view

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It probably lost some sales cause of that, but it's far from the reason the game didn't sell well. It's just a niche game, that much was already clear from the first two games. There's a reason Sega didn't let Yu Suzuki make a third game.

I imagine that whatever sales they may have lost from EGS exclusivity was covered by money they got for making it exclusive anyway. It's not like the game would have been a huge success had it launched on Steam.

Dozens and dozens of niche games sold gangbusters on Steam last year. being niche is no excuse for poor sales if the only difference was the store it was sold on.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

You're right. Releasing on Steam doesn't mean automatic success. But for some titles, an EGS only release is a death spell.

Not that I think S3 would've done well. And considering the game failed to generate a positive word of mouth after release...

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dozens and dozens of niche games sold gangbusters on Steam last year. being niche is no excuse for poor sales if the only difference was the store it was sold on.

Are those gangbusters games sitting with like a 60ish metacritic, 50 dollar price tag, and relatively putrid word of mouth?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Shenmue III is probably another timed exclusive, just like Metro, Satisfactory and Borderlands. This is just me guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shenmue III will come to Steam next November. Looking at how Metro is doing on Steam now, it probably won't hurt them in the long run to have it for one year only on EGS.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I am guessing that the EGS offer was simply too good to turn down for a game which likely didn't have huge sales expectations. In any case, the game will likely end up coming to Steam sooner or later, and should be sold with all DLC included, so it can still improve numbers.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue III is probably another timed exclusive, just like Metro, Satisfactory and Borderlands. This is just me guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shenmue III will come to Steam next November. Looking at how Metro is doing on Steam now, it probably won't hurt them in the long run to have it for one year only on EGS.

Of course it's timed.

Metro is still a long running PC oriented series that pushes graphics cards and is generally well regarded as a game. Shenmue will get some a bump, but will probably be miniscule compared to what Metro did (especially releasing in a more crowded month like November).

Borderlands and Satisfactory will do very well on Steam though.