• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Aspyr will be fine. They still need them to push their games into the MacOS market now that Apple is making moves towards gaming on Mac.
Plus they seem to be a solid port dev, shame they couldn't rise above that.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
I dont think Aspyr or Saber were/are the right choice for a kotor remake. Hoping to be proven wrong.
Just ignore it then, noone forces you to play it.
you can always replay the originals, they won't get worse retroactively because of the remake.
Personally, I'm excited for the remake. Never played the originals (although I own them) and i'm willing to give it a go.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
There's really no indication that this is KOTOR and There's no mention of Aspyr or Saber in that section
This is all pure speculation from OP

this could be any game
They have over 30 AAA games in development

85951_212_deus-ex-is-being-revived-in-unreal-engine-5_full.jpg

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I just made that fucking thread about Saber too that was hijacked by anime folks. Glad it's living on.

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
Who should have it then?

Saber is decent, they do good work. They put frigging Witcher 3 on the Switch!
They do great work yeah but most of their portfolio, just like Aspyrs is ports and/or smaller games. This should be handled by someone that has experience on working with AAA games, not just ports of them but actual production from scratch imo.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
There's really no indication that this is KOTOR and There's no mention of Aspyr or Saber in that section

this could be any game

Going by Jason Schreier report, and he is pretty accurate, you just have to do 1+1

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who should have it then?

Saber is decent, they do good work. They put frigging Witcher 3 on the Switch!

Yeah thats a legitimate question that may not have a better answer right now. Clearly Bioware either had no desire to or couldnt put together a good plan with EA to do something more with KOTOR while they had the exclusive liscense.

Personally Id have liked Obsidian but they have a ton of their own projects going on.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Feels like a bit of a stretch to just say this is KOTOR.

Aspyr staffed up massively for that project, with a lot of people who had experience in the Star Wars or KOTOR universes. Not sure it would be as easy as just passing the project to Saber.

As a huge fan of the original game I just can't see this project surviving and also living up to its legacy. It's doomed, only a sequel has a meaningful chance.

Also, this is a million times more complex than putting The Witcher on Switch. This is a from the ground-up remake of one of the best games of all time, with game, level and quest design all needing serious work.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020

this could be any game

Wow!!
didn't even know embraces was this massive!!
more than 30 AAA games in development!!
amazing!

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
My point is where they did mention KOTOR or Aspyr? This seems like OP is just guessing which game and studio they are talking about when they own dozens of them.
They didn't mention it. But it is the game that fits the most given Schreier said Devs were speculating this would happen and it's the one that lines up the most. Pretty rare an AAA game changes developers, it happens, but it's rare. Would be shocking if Embracer had multiple games undergoing the exact same problem at once.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Going by Jason Schreier report, and he is pretty accurate, you just have to do 1+1
Its still speculation as they don't mention anything
It could be literally any game
more than one AAA game can have issues in a group as large as Embracer
this is a massive reach to assume this is Kotor

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
No delays (still 2022) or no delays beyond the "more realistic target of 2025"?

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021

this could be any game

Come on, the bloomberg article said that saber was already very involved in the project and that devs feared that saber would take over entirely

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
No delay would be crazy even if it is with Saber a developer who was already involved in the project, was it not dated for 2023?

Zikakun

Aug 2, 2022
Meh, I hoped that Bioware would take the project or at least they would wait for Obsidian to release some of their projects

I don't trust any other company dealing with KOTOR besides those two

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The pedigree of the studios they keep choosing to do this is frankly appalling. Don't get me wrong, I play games by them, but they're not fucking Kotor. Better than leave it to die already in the hands of Aspyr, I guess.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Saber Interactive owns Aspyr though, so would this just mean that it's moving to another Saber owned studio? They have 22 subsidiary studios.

Saber owns 3D Realms, and 4A Games? I remember the headlines of Saber acquiring Aspyr, but not these two.

Wow!!
didn't even know embraces was this massive!!
more than 30 AAA games in development!!
amazing!
One of the press releases from today says "The Group has 120 internal game development studios and is engaging more than 12,750 employees and contracted employees in more than 40 countries." It's huge.

Last edited:

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Aspyr will be fine. They still need them to push their games into the MacOS market now that Apple is making moves towards gaming on Mac.
Plus they seem to be a solid port dev, shame they couldn't rise above that.

Yes we need more Apple silicon native games/ports!

Wtf? KOTOR remake announcement was a year ago? Holy shit time flew by fast! It felt like it was from earlier this year like a few months ago before E3.