• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
embracer.com

Embracer Group enters into an agreement to acquire Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Square Enix Montréal amongst other assets - Embracer Group

Embracer Group AB (”Embracer”) has entered into an agreement to acquire the development studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal, and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain and more than 50 back-catalogue games from SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS...

This was extremely unexpected.

Embracer Group AB ("Embracer") has entered into an agreement to acquire the development studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal, and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain and more than 50 back-catalogue games from SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD. ("Square Enix Holdings"). In total, the acquisition includes ~1,100 employees across three studios and eight global locations. The total purchase price amounts to USD 300 million on a cash and debt free basis, to be paid in full at closing. Embracer has secured additional long-term debt funding commitments for this and other transactions in the pipeline. The company today reiterates its current Operational EBIT forecast for FY 21/22, FY 22/23, and FY 23/24. The transaction is subject to various regulatory and other external approvals and is expected to close during the second quarter of Embracer's financial year 22/23 (July-September 2022).

Embracer will hold a webcast presentation for investors, analysts and media on 2 May 2022 at CET 09.00. Please find details in a separate invitation that will follow this release.

Only 300 million dollars is quite shocking.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit. But I'm kinda glad the former-SE western studios are now their own thing.

New Deus Ex, please.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Surprised S-E was willing to give up all their scapegoats for whenever shareholders were unhappy with the financials.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
JFC.

Please take care of Deus Ex.
That's cheap af, god damm what a steal.
Further evidence Square is run by massive idiots.

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Wow, maybe I can finally stop getting my hopes up when I see "Square-Enix Publisher Sale" only to end up with no JRPGs on there?

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Honest question: I know Embracer has been buying up a LOT of studios and consolidation is bad, but as far as I'm aware, they don't keep their studios from developing for certain platforms (eg no XBox version for a switch studio, etc) so if Square were to sell parts of their gaming studios, wouldn't they be the best bet? Why do people hate Embracer and Tencent so much?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Would have expected more than $300 mil for all that. They're buying a lot of studious with this, not sure I like it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Honest question: I know Embracer has been buying up a LOT of studios and consolidation is bad, but as far as I'm aware, they don't keep their studios from developing for certain platforms (eg no XBox version for a switch studio, etc) so if Square were to sell parts of their gaming studios, wouldn't they be the best bet? Why do people hate Embracer and Tencent so much?
Yeah. I much prefer acquisitions by companies without their own platforms as well.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fucckkkkkkkkk…. I mean, I get why Microsoft is treading very lightly while trying to close the Activision deal but these studios were right up their alley

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Honestly this is probably for the better. Square clearly didn't know what to do with these IPs, and probably had not intention of using most of them.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Um. What. Part of Square? They're piecemealing themselves and IPs? And for seemingly peanuts?
Welp, you heard it here folks. Final Fantasy is apparently out there if you're willing to pay enough for it, and low bids are easily accepted.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They also got the IP??? That just seems really cheap? for a bunch of successful IP and three talented studios? If this was April Fools i would assume this was a joke.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Holy shit, ok
Knowing Embracer, we'll probably get a Deus Ex remake sometime in the next few years and a sequel to MD after that

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are fantastic studios for that price. Embracer Group made out like bandits. Square Enix has no clue what they're doing.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Whoa, that's... wild. I'm shocked Square Enix gave up basically their entire Western division. I hope this works out for all those studios. I'm really looking forward to the next Tomb Raider.

I hadn't heard the name "Embracer Group" before. Apparently they used to be THQ Nordic? They own Gearbox and Deep Silver? They just bought Dark Horse Comics as well? Holy shit.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I feel there are two perspectives on this, mainly focusing on whether this is good or bad for SE.

I personally think SE has tried to push their western IPs for a good 5-6 year period in the 2010s while at the same time they also seemed to be first in line to be at fault when the financials looked poor despite the Japanese side of SE perhaps not always being as stellar (FFXIII, FFXV, FFXIV 1.0 etc.)