• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how quickly this company has grown. Part of me still believes this is some sort of pyramid scheme, like with multi level marketing but with video game companies instead.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really think of any games I've bought, and I can't think of any game that they publish that I want to buy. I don't get it.

Is this like how CDPR were super overvalued?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Are they just overvalued as hell because they keep on buying a bunch of devs every quarter? Cant seem to remember a whole lot they have even released this year.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Are they just overvalued as hell because they keep on buying a bunch of devs every quarter? Cant seem to remember a whole lot they have even released this year.

If anything Ubisoft is undervalued.

The whole Embracer Group has 58 studios and 8 different operative groups with 100+ games in developement at the same time.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If anything Ubisoft is undervalued.

The whole Embracer Group has 58 studios and 8 different operative groups with 100+ games in developement at the same time.
yea, but they havent released much is my point, they havent proven a profitability path for funding all these studios, and neither have they proven that they can properly manage them (probably safe to say no single game publisher can manage this many development studios well). Ubisoft have, they are selling a ton each year.
I just dont get the investor market...

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Embracer... it's such a weird name for a company that's been buying up stuff recently.

LET US EMBRACE YOU, lol.

pqdpvgbh7mhpu85zluid.gif

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Embracer has yet to be profitable right? When are they going to stop buying stuff up? It seems like they just want to be the money man behind everything in a very hands off way.
Embracer... it's such a weird name for a company that's been buying up stuff recently.

LET US EMBRACE YOU, lol.
Yeah its a little too on the nose.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
was wondering wtf embracer group was and had to look it up

didn't know nordic had renamed
They haven't, Embracer is the parent company of THQ Nordic and myriad of other game companies.

EDIT: well, we're both kinda right, THQ Nordic AB (Nordic Games before that) changed to Embracer Group, but there's still a subsidary called THQ Nordic.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I can't really think of any games I've bought, and I can't think of any game that they publish that I want to buy. I don't get it.

This is nothing like how CDPR was over-valued. Nordic Games started off by acquiring the assets of JoWood Entertainment after the company dissolved. They then re-released the games owned by JoWood Entertainment and acquired enough capital to acquire the remaining THQ franchises that none of the other buyers wanted.

Eventually, they acquired the THQ trademark and re-branded as THQ Nordic and repeated the remaster and re-release model adopted with their JoWood Entertainment assets. They then had enough capital to acquire more dormant intellectual properties and remaster and re-release them. The profits made from remastering and re-releasing dormant IP's alongside investor backing gave them the capital to acquire Koch Media and merge with them so that they had the development and publishing assets to do AAA games.

Since then, they've had the money to acquire more developers that the major publishers didn't really care for at the time. And with more games being sold due to more developers being available to them to release more games and more investors investing in the parent company, they've been able to expand into acquiring mobile/social gaming publishers like DECA Games and Easybrain.

Embracer Group has been successful because they've been selective with what assets to acquire and how to integrate them into their business.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
yea, but they havent released much is my point, they havent proven a profitability path for funding all these studios, and neither have they proven that they can properly manage them (probably safe to say no single game publisher can manage this many development studios well). Ubisoft have, they are selling a ton each year.
I just dont get the investor market...
They released 30+ titles in 2020. Most notably, Desperados III, Saints Row 3 remaster, Kingdoms of Amalur: re-Reckoning, Destroy all Humans!, SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom re-hydrated, Iron Harvest, ManEater, Wasteland III, PathFinder: Kingmaker, WindBound, Chronos: Before the Ashes, etc.

Remember, they own Deep Silver (Metro) as well as Coffee stain (so they're making money off Satisfactory, which was an even bigger hit once it released on Steam)

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
The interesting thing is that they have enough studios that it makes sense for them to develop an engine for internal studios and licensing. Epic may ask for just 5% of your revenue, but it adds up really fast when you have that many games in development

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty crazy. I know Embracer release a tonne of stuff, but it feels like (and maybe I'm wrong) they don't have any tens-of-million sellers and gaas money printing IP's in the same way that Ubisoft have Assassin's Creed and Tom Clancy games etc.

But I suppose they can get there since they clearly have enough money to just throw at advertising campaigns until something sticks, lol.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Pretty crazy. I know Embracer release a tonne of stuff, but it feels like (and maybe I'm wrong) they don't have any tens-of-million sellers and gaas money printing IP's in the same way that Ubisoft have Assassin's Creed and Tom Clancy games etc.

But I suppose they can get there since they clearly have enough money to just throw at advertising campaigns until something sticks, lol.
They don't need to, since they have pretty much cornered the $40 dollar niche market with their (relatively) cheap remasters that make profit on nostalgia alone. With occasional full-price enthusiast titles like Iron Harvest, or Darksiders that also target a dedicated audience.

I think their only real outright flop since I started looking at their releases (after they announced Darksiders III) was that survival souls-like game, "Fade to Silence"

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of their subdivisions (Coffee Stain) just released a game last week that currently has 133k CCU on Steam. They have their fingers in a lot of pies and I guess people don't really see that since they're all under different names.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well.

MY friends value MY company better than Embracer or whatever their name is.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
They're basically the entire AA market now huh?

I remember being glad when THQ was seemingly revived out of nowhere....geez, like 7 or so years ago. Just so that Darksiders could continue and maybe some old licensed Nickelodeon games could get remade.

Didn't expect this though.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
Lots of exiting Early Access titles via Coffee Stain and others, hoarding legacy IP for the streaming future... I think they'll do fine.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Embrace Group sounds like a name for a really nefarious company

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They're basically the entire AA market now huh?

I remember being glad when THQ was seemingly revived out of nowhere....geez, like 7 or so years ago. Just so that Darksiders could continue and maybe some old licensed Nickelodeon games could get remade.

Didn't expect this though.
They also brought back SpellForce, and released several expansions for Titan Quest. And they greenlit a remake of Gothic.

There's a lot they've done that I approve.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
One of their subdivisions (Coffee Stain) just released a game last week that currently has 133k CCU on Steam. They have their fingers in a lot of pies and I guess people don't really see that since they're all under different names.

The way you said this made me imagine embracer HQ as the corporation from breaking bad with the big warehouse with giant signage of all their sub divisions around the roof level

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
God fucking damn, for a second I thought they bought fucking Ubisoft.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Focus, 1C, BigBen (Nacon), Paradox, Daedalic, Kalypso

Then there's smaller ones like Team 17, Versus Evil, Raw Fury, 11-bit, etc.

There's still some room in AA; but Embracer certainly took a huge chunk of it.

Sumo Digital is 9 studios and ~1000 people now. Tough they've only dipped their toe into self publishing.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah that's the weird bit for me too. They just seem like the modern version of THQ (I realize they bought the name and assets, but they were a different company). Gearbox is the only studio they now own that I've bought a game from in the last decade.

rostad

Oct 27, 2017
I've invested in this company and they are reporting next week.

Estimate earnings before taxes is like 1bn SEK for the quarter.

They took their first loan in 2020 with a sub %1 rent for 3bn SEK.

after Gearbox they have like 13bn SEK in cash.

They've aquired many studios paying with stock shares only.