• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone here from a Jewish background done this before and how easy was it? I'm thinking of trying to do so. I know a few people there and the healthcare provided through the state is good and good weed is plentiful the the laws are lax about it. It's also really safe and modern. Is it a fairly easy process? I currently have U.S. citizenship.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
There are better places to go to smoke weed that have better healthcare than USA.

This is a bait thread.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here from a Jewish background done this before and how easy was it? I'm thinking of trying to do so. I know a few people there and the healthcare provided through the state is good and good weed is plentiful the the laws are lax about it. It's also really safe and modern. Is it a fairly easy process? I currently have U.S. citizenship.
Do you like people tell you USA is the most amazing thing ever and everyone else is shit?
Imagine that times 10.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You literally have to worry about whether the mall will blow up when you go out for the day.

Also how much do you like nationalism?
Its honestly quite a bit safer than you're implying, and they currently live in the US, they are likely very used to the domestic terrorist terrorist attacks of the nearly daily mass shootings and high levels of nationalism, it'll certainly be to a stronger degree in Israel, but i'm sure OP is somewhat aware. Just because someone is interested in moving to Israel doesn't mean they are supportive of its government, it still can be an amazing place with amazing people, lets not forget that and try to keep this civil, it seems like we often handle this topic quite poorly.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well you won't have to deal with antisemitism, but you will have to deal with supporting a government as fascists as Trump's which is enforcing white supremacy and ethnic cleansing just like Trump wants in America.
So in terms of politics you are between a rock and a hard place, but I'd say Israel is worse and will get worse over time. If it continues its way (And all points in that direction) I'd expect sanctions from the outside, violence inside and economic decline, and you'd have to deal with the moral weight of supporting an Apartheid.
Trump can lose the next election and is hated by most, Netanyahu will win again.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The guy I used to rent my apartment from here in Vienna kicked me out in order to sell his propery off, as he was planning to open/buy a hotel in Tel Aviv. If he is to be believed, you make more money, the people are nicer, and everything in general is just better, at least better than in Austria. The women are more beautiful and people have more respect, for example.

Do you like people tell you USA is the most amazing thing ever and everyone else is shit?
Imagine that times 10.
Hah, yeah, sounds about right

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
My Dad went to live their in the 1980s and joined the army. Left after 10 years but said he loved it. Just make sure you go Tel Aviv/Haifa and not Jerusalem. Sorry can't help you other than that but good luck.
Can't tell if you're talking about the US or Israel.
True

Also Israelis are generally pretty nice in my experience buy TERRIBLE drivers. Super aggressive and start honking for you to move even before lights are green

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Its honestly quite a bit safer than you're implying, and they currently live in the US, they are likely very used to the domestic terrorist terrorist attacks of the nearly daily mass shootings and high levels of nationalism, it'll certainly be to a stronger degree in Israel, but i'm sure OP is somewhat aware. Just because someone is interested in moving to Israel doesn't mean they are supportive of its government, it still can be an amazing place with amazing people, lets not forget that and try to keep this civil, it seems like we often handle this topic extremely poorly.
Civil? Let's not sugar coat this. No one was saying that the US doesnt suffer from problems.

How much % ancestry do you need?
1 grandparent iirc. Good enough for to be targeted by Hitler is good enough for Israel to consider you Jewish.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC ShimshonNehorai had similar plans.

Not sure if he's still around but you could send him a PM or hit up Jew Era OT
I believe ShimshonNehorai has left Era after several complaints of strong antisemitic undertones when discussing the subject of Israel from within some parts of our community, not just people being critical of the Israel government. Its a big reason why I think we need to be a bit more cautious of how we approach the subject and am hoping its something we can improve on, but of course i do understand why conversation around it can be so heated.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User was warned for this post: Topic derailing, language
Can someone please give us a real answer and tell the man how many butt-cheeks he could spread for $300 at an Israeli strip club? If it's more than 3 you have a deal.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It also gets really hot and boring!
Civil? Let's not sugar coat this. No one was saying that the US doesnt suffer from problems.
I was just trying to do a simple contrast between the two as honestly your basic way of life wouldn't be too different as most parts of Israel are quite safe, though there certainly are parts you'd want to avoid, but really i shouldn't have been quite so aggressive with my examples, its rather early and I've had a terrible sleep and my its coming off in my grumpy tone.

Last edited:

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Well if you want to migrate based on jewish citizenship, you could check if you have sephardic ancestry. Portugal and Spain have a special process of citizenship for descendants of sephardic jews who were expelled by the countries' inquisition.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well if you want to migrate based on jewish citizenship, you could check if you have sephardic ancestry. Portugal and Spain have a special process of citizenship for descendants of sephardic jews who were expelled by the countries' inquisition.
I'm Ashkenazi actually. Family from Germany and Poland.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's solely for the purpose of moving to somewhere with solid healthcare and laxer laws on marijuana, the Netherlands are a good pick. There's also Spain (especially if as Apzu mentioned, you fall into the sephardic ancestry program), which isn't as good but still alright. Possessing cannabis also is decriminalized in many EU countries, of which the Central/Western ones have good healthcare for the most part. Though if you do look at the alternatives here in Europe, I do not recommend moving to Austria, especially in the next few years. Antisemitism is heavily on the rise now that two right wing parties have been elected into power. I'm actually kind of concerned for my safety. :/

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Tel-Aviv. I was born in Israel so I can't tell you how easy it is, but I have many immigrant friends and it seemed easy for them, if you can prove Jewish ancestry. They also get some help package from the government (basically money every month for the first year or something, but you might have to return some of it if you leave quickly. You should check it out, anyway).

As for living here, there are pros and cons. If you tell people you emigrated from the US they will most likely gawk and say "what the fuck? Why?"
I can give more specific notes if you say where you're from and what do you do.

Pros, compared to the US:
- Health care and social services are better.
- In some specific fields there is more employment.
- No antisemitism if that's a concern for you.
- Safer (terrorism included).

Cons:
- High cost of living, especially rent and food costs.
- People are almost ubiquitously rude.
- Customer service is terrible.
- There's no public transport on Saturday and many stores close on Saturday, especially outside of tel aviv.
- If you can get EU citizenship, there are countries with the same pros and none of the cons.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- If you can get EU citizenship, there are countries with the same pros and none of the cons.

That is not true. Catholic-dominated countries have the stores closing on Sunday instead of Saturday, cost of housing is expensive here as well (urban places at least), and especially in big cities you will find rude people everywhere.
And customer service is terrible everywhere in the world lol.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
My brother in law emigrated from the UK to Tel Aviv probably close to 10 years ago now. He did his military service and has since settled down, met his wife there and has a job in marketing. It has its challenges but ultimately I guess he felt it was working it as he's decided not to move back. I know, from the UK at least, a lot of people who try don't stick it out beyond 5 years.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you just move to Israel on a whim like that? I'd think they'd at least want to you to be interested in connecting to your heritage, not just looking to go somewhere else just because.

Wow so surprised this joke came from the guy that caped for NK and said the US was worse

I believe ShimshonNehorai has left Era after several complaints of strong antisemitic undertones when discussing the subject of Israel from within some parts of our community, not just people being critical of the Israel government. Its a big reason why I think we need to be a bit more cautious of how we approach the subject and am hoping its something we can improve on, but of course i do understand why conversation around it can be so heated.

To be fair, disagreeing with him or questioning his links would get you accused of being antisemetic. He supports something that people take serious issue with and he was unprepared to handle those challenges. If you support something so controversial, you have to know people will confront you.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, disagreeing with him or questioning his links would get you accused of being antisemetic. He supports something that people take serious issue with and he was unprepared to handle those challenges. If you support something so controversial, you have to know people will confront you.
Oh, indeed, and i had quite a long conversation with ShimshonNehorai about it all as it was important not to confuse being critical of Israel and some if its policy with actual antisemitism as i feel can happen sometimes, and did feel they were perhaps doing, but after some examples and conversation on it i could see where they were coming from with some posters words and attitudes. I do have some Jewish heritage myself but i'm really not connected with it and antisemitism isn't something I've ever really directly faced in my life, despite knowing of course its a very widespread and serious issue even today, so its kind of something i'm trying to have a greater perspective on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could move to California, Washington, Colorado, The Netherlands, pretty much anywhere in Western Europe, etc all before moving to Israel and supporting a fascist, racist, occupying, apartheid regime with your tax money.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

oh-snap.gif

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
My fiancée went to Israel as part of the birthright program. She lived there for over a year and taught English there. Her uncle moved to Israel about 30 years ago and has lived there since. She said it was fairly easy to go there and said it was one of the most wonderful experiences she had

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Israel existence is tied to a fragile regional and international dynamic (if the US decide to end it's support, it's over), i wouldnt do that, even only from a very pragmatic perspective.
It's like moving to the white part of Algiers in the 50s.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If you're Jewish it's rather great. Second hand testimony from people I know that have expatriated there. Huge tech sector as well.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not true. Catholic-dominated countries have the stores closing on Sunday instead of Saturday, cost of housing is expensive here as well (urban places at least), and especially in big cities you will find rude people everywhere.
There are EU countries that aren't catholic-dominated though. If you can obtain EU citizenship from a particular country you can move anywhere else in the EU.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That is not true. [/B]Catholic-dominated countries have the stores closing on Sunday instead of Saturday[/b], cost of housing is expensive here as well (urban places at least), and especially in big cities you will find rude people everywhere.
Uhm that's not true, for one and unlike Israel no country in Western Europe has an official religion that permeates the law and civil life, (Good luck divorcing in Israel as a woman lol) and talking about "Catholic Domination" in 2018 is a bit of a stretch.
For two, of course not all shops are open since people have a right to a vacation every once in a while, but it's not like you can't buy a fucking loaf of bread on Sundays lol.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't feel ok immigrating to a country whose existence and government is the source of oppression and suffering for millions of people. the idea of moving into a apartheid state doesn't really seem appealing to me.
you do you tho op

This is like a white person asking if emigrating to Apartheid South Africa is a good idea.
basically this

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is like a white person asking if emigrating to Apartheid South Africa is a good idea.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't feel ok immigrating to a country whose existence and government is the source of oppression and suffering for millions of people. the idea of moving into a apartheid state doesn't really seem appealing to me.
you do you tho op

Ahnno, I live in the US and I'm doing ok.

(Oh, beaten like a coal miner's self worth)