• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to be discriminatory. I'm pointing out there's a relation to western European countries' Muslim populations because that should fundamentally inform the OP's decision.

America and Canada have large Muslim populations that are better-integrated and therefore shouldn't be a concern for a Jewish person.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I, white Euro guy with no Jewish roots and my GF, brown with indian roots had a great time in Tel Aviv. There weren't many stares, if there were any it's because she uses a wheelchair to get around. Everyone was mostly friendly and the stereotype of Israelis being rude or pushy didn't really play out as much as I thought.

I didn't experience the nightlife but we were there during Purim and we attended the open air concert / festivities where everyone dresses up which was.. interesting.
The food is great, but expensive. In fact, most things seemed to be expensive. Hotels, groceries, food and rents seem crazy high in the TLV area. The only thing that was cheap was public transport.

I'd still very much recommend visiting as it's unlike any other place in the world. You can really tell it's a mix of Western and Middle Eastern culture, without the oppression of women and LGBT (never seen so many dudes holding hands) people that usually plagues that part of the world.

OT: You'll have to weigh up how much you value your finances and the language barrier vs how much you value awesome weather and being Jewish in a Jewish state.

That's how I found it. Very tolerant and welcoming. Food was excellent and people would literally dance in the streets. It was very expensive though. Don't think about owning a car or a house without some serious cash.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Every government commits atrocities. Hell, I guarantee that whichever country you reside in has their fair share of atrocities they have committed. Israel's are just on a larger scale and more reported than others.

I personally dislike Israeli treatment of Palestinians and Arabs, as well as their constant meddling into other countries and the free money they get from America for continuing to oppress others. But none of us have any ground to stand on when we say "don't move to a country that's commiting atrocities".

This makes no sense, there is such a thing as degree.

I'm not trying to be discriminatory. I'm pointing out there's a relation to western European countries' Muslim populations because that should fundamentally inform the OP's decision.

America and Canada have large Muslim populations that are better-integrated and therefore shouldn't be a concern for a Jewish person.

You're not trying to be discriminatory, I believe that. But despite what your intentions may be you are indeed doing that.

You're not really pointing that out either so much as uncritically asserting it and basing it on very generalized assumptions. You may be right, but you aren't handling a topic as sensitive as this particularly well.

Frankly, in the absence of solutions I find playing the blame game, especially without doing research on the topic, to be pointless at best and actively quite harmful at worst.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
What Israel is doing does not compare to what Germany or Spain did. Yes things have changed, but only after atrocities were committed. When Israel has finished securing the Jewish state, their policies will change too. Will you be so quick to call out anyone who brings up its past?

I hope you one day recognise how chilling this sort of rhetoric is. This is casual apologia for ethnic cleansing.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Much of Europe is becoming increasingly unsafe for the Jewish population due mostly to the Muslim population (and to a lesser degree, the resurgence of the far right). That's why for a Jewish person looking for a long-term destination, I think Canada, the US, and Israel are the best options.

As a Canadian, the cold is undeniably brutal, but everything else is great.
Sure, man, sure. We have no-go zones and shit. In the night you hear the gunshots and the Allahu Akbars and it gets scary. The men run around like rabid dogs, preying on white virgins.
Or maybe not, and the fact the author of the Op-Ed you quote specializes in a brand of diet racism and fear mongering speaks a lot about your agenda.
https://paulinaneuding.com/category/english/

Seriously, it took a minute googling to see she's a racistt concern troll.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, man, sure. We have no-go zones and shit. In the night you hear the gunshots and the Allahu Akbars and it gets scary. The men run around like rabid dogs, preying on white virgins.
Or maybe not, and the fact the author of the Op-Ed you quote specializes in a brand of diet racism and fear mongering speaks a lot about your agenda.
https://paulinaneuding.com/category/english/

Seriously, it took a minute googling to see she's a racistt concern troll.
Ok. Is the evidence in the NY Times op-ed false? I'll gladly revise my opinion and advice if so.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Ok. Is the evidence in the NY Times op-ed false? I'll gladly revise my opinion and advice if so.

You probably shouldn't be generalizing about a large group of people based on a single op-ed regardless. Op-eds are about people's arguments, not about journalism in the conventional sense, and clearly not about serious research into large scale sociological phenomenon.

Of course it's also quite bizarre to go from a single op-ed about Sweden, a single rather small country, to not only generalizing about the many other European countries, but speaking about that generalization as if it is beyond contention.

I'm going to reiterate that there could be a chance that you're correct, but such a serious claim demands a very strong argument. I haven't seen such an argument for this.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pointing out there's a relation to western European countries' Muslim populations because that should fundamentally inform the OP's decision.

The Muslim population in Western European countries ranges from about 5% to about 10% depending on which country you look at. Most of those are concentrated in cities, as well. And of course, not all of them are anti-semitic. And although that is indeed a problem - especially with far right politics trivializing anti-semitism, however, I would argue that there's a lot more potential harm for Jews from holocaust deniers and conspiracy nuts that get elected into a political office than from a muslim on the street.

Also, anecdotal of course, but in the 10 years I've lived in a predominantly migrant district of Vienna, I've experienced no anti-semitism from any muslims, but have been subject to anti-semitic slurs and violence from Austrians, and am genuinely afraid of the government that has been elected late last year.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: in response to Cocaloch

That's one article that I happened to remember posting. You can find comparable, reputable stuff for France and England.

I'm also not generalizing about a group. I'm commenting on a situation in a group of countries (just as people have commented on the situation in Israel without generalizing Jewish people). I understand it's a sensitive topic, and I agree that tact is required.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Edit: in response to Cocaloch

That's one article that I happened to remember posting. You can find comparable, reputable stuff for France and England.

You've got two issues here. One is sourcing, and frankly just saying it exists out there when the one example you've brought up has some problems isn't very satisfying, but the other is with interpretation and that problem remains regardless of what an article says. We need to think about how we understand sociological data, if it exists, in a wider context.

I'm also not generalizing about a group. I'm commenting on a situation in a group of countries (just as people have commented on the situation in Israel without generalizing Jewish people). I understand it's a sensitive topic, and I agree that tact is required.

I believe that you didn't mean to, but you generalized both Europe, Sweden being Europe, and Muslims,

Much of Europe is becoming increasingly unsafe for the Jewish population due mostly to the Muslim population.
Emphasis mine.

I think it's quite clear that's what happened in effect.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I've seen a number of articles back on GAF about the rise of anti-semitism in Euope, mainly attributed to anti-Isreal sentiments among the children of immigrants from Islamic countries, iirc. Chairman Yang could have sourced/worded it better, but I believe they are factually correct. I'm totally not going to start digging for said articles now, I'm not really that invested in this topic. I just assume that Chairman has probably read the same threads as well

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I've seen a number of articles back on GAF about the rise of anti-semitism in Euope, mainly attributed to anti-Isreal sentiments among the children of immigrants from Islamic countries, iirc. Chairman Yang could have sourced/worded it better, but I believe they are factually correct. I'm totally not going to start digging for said articles now, I'm not really that invested in this topic. I just assume that Chairman has probably read the same threads as well

When you make a negative generalization about a group of people that are currently facing a lot of discrimination, I feel like you should have both strong evidence and, just as importantly, a well developed argument for how to interpret that evidence on hand.

To be honest, this really seems more like "Common Sense" than being "factually correct", which still doesn't get one away from problems of interpretation, to me.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whatever. Muslims populations are not a potential danger for jews, there is more antisemitic attack in the US than in France and those attack are not made by muslims. Also, what do you mean by «integrated»? Does antisemitism is contrary to being «integrated» ? Is the kkk an immigrant group ? Antisemitism is well at home in the West, lets not pretend that the Shoah occured in Egypt.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I've seen a number of articles back on GAF about the rise of anti-semitism in Euope, mainly attributed to anti-Isreal sentiments among the children of immigrants from Islamic countries, iirc. Chairman Yang could have sourced/worded it better, but I believe they are factually correct. I'm totally not going to start digging for said articles now, I'm not really that invested in this topic. I just assume that Chairman has probably read the same threads too
I mean, France has even seen a wave of Islamist terrorist attacks against Jews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_21st-century_France#21st_century
And it's not just news articles to back Chairman Yang's statement, it's also studies and polls. E.g.:
Antisemitic Violence in Europe, 2005-2015
Exposure and Perpetrators in France, UK, Germany,
Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Russia
pz3VDIj.png

http://www.hlsenteret.no/publikasjo...isk-vold-i-europa_engelsk_endelig-versjon.pdf

Lx6Psup.png

http://www.dw.com/en/israeli-flag-b...igmar-gabriel-to-back-outlawing-it/a-41806074
Edit: Just for reference, Muslims make up 5-6% of the German population according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Germany

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Op-Eds are not scientific evidence of any kind, nor are they even editorialized by the journal itself. The article is a half-truth as well. In any case, Sweden is a small country and not really representative of the experience OP would have in the EU.
I actually read the paper, and...
From the paper's conclusions said:
Antisemitism and political exploitations of fear.
What could explain why the Jews in the country with the lowest level of classic antisemitism in the population, Sweden, manifest the highest level of fear and avoidance behaviour when it comes to manifest one's Jewish identity (cf. Figure 17 and Figure 18.)?
Two factors appear to be in operation here: one is the fact that Swedish Jews are, as are most inhabitants in Sweden, rather indifferent to religious practices and symbols as such. It is not so important for most Jews in Sweden to openly manifest their often very strong Jewish identity by carrying religious symbols, since their Jewish identity can for the most part be described as "ethno-cultural" rather than "religious".13 With a very few individual exceptions, there are no openly orthodox Jews (in terms of dress-code, etc.) in Sweden. Sweden is a highly secularized country and symbols and manifestations of religious affiliation are not part of daily life in Sweden in any case.
The other significant factor in this context is the fact that public critique of Israel is almost ubiquitous in Sweden.
Those groups and persons who are prone to Israel-derived antisemitism might find a kind of tacit understanding – however misinterpreted! – or even legitimization of their attacks on Jews in that framework. At the very least, many Jews in Sweden may harbour that fear.
In Sweden, not least in the city of Malmö, perpetrators of Israel-derived antisemitic attacks might have felt that they are somewhat understood, if not excused, by statements by the then leading political power-holder in the city (Ilmar Reepalu, representing the Social Democratic Party).
In this connection, it should be noted that actions based on Israel-derived antisemitic sentiments tend to manifest themselves in violence and threats to a much greater extent than the other kinds of antisemitism. Consequently, since carrying things that flaunt one's Jewish affiliation, or visiting a synagogue is not so important for most Jews in Sweden anyway, but doing so might trigger attacks based on hostility and anger towards Israel, it might be understandable that many Jews in Sweden tend to avoid manifesting their Jewishness in public – even if they, as we know from other studies,14 for the most part have a quite strong Jewish identity.
The purpose of those who attack Jews in Europe based on their hatred for Israel is clearly to arouse fear in the Jewish community living in these countries and they actually seem to be succeeding. This is also the idea of ISIS (Daesh): one effect of their actions is the "destruction of the Grey Zone", i. e. to create political polarization and disturb the fabric of civil life – in this case civil Jewish life.
One important point in this context is that even if violent attacks are not frequently experienced, the very fact that they have taken place – and that there is a constant threat that they may occur again! – is enough to trigger fear.
This might be comparable to a pyromaniac operating in a residential area. Most inhabitants in the area, or even neighbouring areas, would feel justified in the fear that the pyromaniac would choose their house for his next attack – even if the likelihood that this would indeed happen is actually low. Nevertheless, probably none of them would claim that the actions taken by the pyromaniac are only the "top of the iceberg" of an underlying "pyromanianism" in society. However, when it comes to Israel-derived antisemitic attacks on Jews, certain commentators tend to do so. Such attacks are often – rightly or wrongly – interpreted as the top of an iceberg indicating an underlying and widespread antisemitism in society.
It should be observed that this is fully in line with the ambitions of the antisemitic perpetrators. It facilitates their exploitation of the attacks for their political purposes.

However, there are also other political forces that have an interest in exploiting Israel-derived antisemitic attacks, often instigated by certain Arab/Muslim groups (as they have proven often to be,) for their own political purposes. One such political force is the populist anti-Muslim camp in the society. For them it is easy and more than tempting to generalize from single cases and to make claims like: "Look! That's how they are! We cannot have "these Muslims" around in our society!"

Another political force also interested in generalizing and exploiting fear and antisemitic attacks for their particular political purpose, is the Zionist camp: "Look! That's how it is there (in Sweden/ Europe). Antisemitism is ubiquitous in these societies. It has just manifested its ugly face again. Jews cannot live there." (Implying: move to Israel, i.e. make aliyah!)
Our question is: Is there really an "iceberg of antisemitism" underlying the violent antisemitic attacks that we can indeed observe? Or are we dealing with certain "pyromaniacs" creating fear among the inhabitants, plus certain, but seemingly opposed, political forces who are successfully exploiting such fears for their particular political interests?
Either conclusion is in need of empirical evidence to back it up.
The Op-Ed makes wild, innacurate, misleading and discriminatory assumptions, as I knew. Op-Eds may or may not to be very accurate, especially when it's an American newspaper bringing a token Swede to remind Americans for five minutes that Sweden exists and it too has problems. (Here's a link to the paper)

So the paper draws ambiguous conclusions, and I'd like to see similar studies about the US or Canada for that matter, or, you know, the other 20 EU countries that were left out of the study.

The Muslim population in Western European countries ranges from about 5% to about 10% depending on which country you look at. Most of those are concentrated in cities, as well. And of course, not all of them are anti-semitic. And although that is indeed a problem - especially with far right politics trivializing anti-semitism, however, I would argue that there's a lot more potential harm for Jews from holocaust deniers and conspiracy nuts that get elected into a political office than from a muslim on the street.

Also, anecdotal of course, but in the 10 years I've lived in a predominantly migrant district of Vienna, I've experienced no anti-semitism from any muslims, but have been subject to anti-semitic slurs and violence from Austrians, and am genuinely afraid of the government that has been elected late last year.
GF says exactly the same, same story and it's the rightwing locals the ones that scare her the most. (In her case it's more because she has a Mexican accent and is dark-skinned, though) Thankfully here in Spain we have our own politics that are a bit isolated from elsewhere in the EU, for the bad and for the good.

Edit: Journalists do not understand statistics or social science, period. Quoting an article making such bold and broad claims of causality and blaming stuff on today's favourite scapegoat minority group is misleanding and in bad faith The post below this further proves this.​

Last edited:

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I mean, France has even seen a wave of Islamist terrorist =attacks against Jews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_21st-century_France#21st_century
And it's not just news articles to back Chairman Yang's statement, it's also studies and polls. E.g.:

pz3VDIj.png

http://www.hlsenteret.no/publikasjo...isk-vold-i-europa_engelsk_endelig-versjon.pdf

Lx6Psup.png

http://www.dw.com/en/israeli-flag-b...igmar-gabriel-to-back-outlawing-it/a-41806074
Edit: Just for reference, Muslims make up 5-6% of the German population according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Germany

I skimmed through the first of those articles (the second isn't the study, you should always link to the study being cited not to some other article talking about the study) and you seem to be misreading it in thinking that it strongly supports what's being said here.

"The overall picture of antisemitic violence in contemporary Europe is clouded by the paucity of comparable data and the lack of systematic studies"

"Attitude surveys indicate that antisemitism is considerably more widespread among Muslims in Western Europe than among the general population, but they also suggest that adherence to Islam in itself does not explain all of the difference"

So not only is it not making as strong a claim as is being made here in terms of data, it's also drawing a different conclusion from that data. I was willing to grant there might be a correlation earlier in the thread, but significantly stronger claims have been made than merely that there is a correlation. And that's abstracting the statement from the speech act that was made anyway, which I've addressed earlier as also being something we should think about in itself.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, France has even seen a wave of Islamist terrorist attacks against Jews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_21st-century_France#21st_century

Is the muslim communtiy responsable of those attacks ?

I mean, Chairman could have said "Due to the presence of muslim terrorist group" and not "Due to the presence of a muslim community"...

Even in France, which is a hotbed for terrorism, there is a few thousands potential terrorist sympathizers among 6 millions muslims. Do the math.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I skimmed through the first of those articles (the second isn't the study, you should always link to the study being cited not to some other article talking about the study) and you seem to be misreading it in thinking that it strongly supports what's being said here.

"The overall picture of antisemitic violence in contemporary Europe is clouded by the paucity of comparable data and the lack of systematic studies"

"Attitude surveys indicate that antisemitism is considerably more widespread among Muslims in Western Europe than among the general population, but they also suggest that adherence to Islam in itself does not explain all of the difference"
Go on with quoting:
Country of origin appears to play a major role, as does the level of religiosity—the more religious people are, the more antisemitic they are likely to be.
I shouldn't have to look for the study when quoting Deutsche Welle which is government funded news service like the BBC. It's a trusted source. Also I doubt it's available in English.

So not only is it not making as strong a claim as is being made here in terms of data, it's also drawing a different conclusion from that data. I was willing to grant there might be a correlation earlier in the thread, but significantly stronger claims have been made than merely that there is a correlation. And that's abstracting the statement from the speech act that was made anyway, which I've addressed earlier as also being something we should think about.
You can't just assume they refer to their 'Muslim portion' of the report when stating their regret about lacking data.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep

I'm sorry how does that change anything? I've granted time and time again their could be a correlation, that was never my issue. You're swinging at air.

I shouldn't have to look for the study when quoting Deutsche Welle which is government funded news service like the BBC. It's a trusted source. Also I doubt it's available in English.

No, when you reference a study in a serious conversation you need to actually include the study, not some secondary source addressing the study. That's not just for the sake of this conversation either, its generally the correct way to look at sources. Otherwise it's all shadowboxing. (Auch ich kann Deutsch lesen)

I know this isn't fun, my students complain to me about it constantly, but it's a key part of responsibly looking at serious research.

You can't just assume they refer to their 'Muslim portion' of the report when stating their regret about lacking data.

Please, they are quite intentionally saying that their study is not conclusive and that they results should be taken as tentative. I'm not attaching that exclusively to the "Muslim Portion", who are you quoting, but instead to everything in the article which includes the bits about Muslims. That isn't some great logical leap, and I honestly don't understand why you would insist I was doing this outside of intentionally misreading me.

To be brutally honest I find this very annoying, because I think if this was any other situation and any other ethnic group we'd be seeing some warnings at the very least. I don't want anyone to get banned, but think about what you're saying before you make gross negative generalizations far removed from any sort of well thought out sociological paradigm about a subaltern group.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Is the muslim communtiy responsable of those attacks ?

I mean, Chairman could have said "Due to the presence of muslim terrorist group" and not "Due to the presence of a muslim community"...

Even in France, which is a hotbed for terrorism, there is a few thousands potential terrorist sympathizers among 6 millions muslims. Do the math.
France may be a hotbed for terrorism, but the only specific group being targeted by native French Islamists are Jews. Funny that.
I pointed to the terrorist attacks because they are quite unprecedented in Europe when accounting for their specific targeting of one religious group and their rate of occurrence. These are not your typical ISIS attacks.

Chairman wasn't talking about Islamist or terrorists. He was talking about the antisemitism among European Muslim population which drives Jews to immigrate to Israel. I provided evidence for the first part of his claim.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I'm sorry how does that change anything? I've granted time and time again their could be a correlation, that was never my issue. You're swinging at air.

No, when you reference a study in a serious conversation you need to actually include the study, not some secondary source addressing the study. That's not just for the sake of this conversation either, its generally the correct way to look at sources. Otherwise it's all shadowboxing. (Auch ich kann Deutsch lesen)

I know this isn't fun, my students complain to me about it constantly, but it's a key part of responsibly looking at serious research.

Please, they are quite intentionally saying that their study is not conclusive and that they results should be taken as tentative. I'm not attaching that exclusively to the "Muslim Portion", who are you quoting, but instead to everything in the article which includes the bits about Muslims. That isn't some great logical leap, and I honestly don't understand why you would insist I was doing this outside of intentionally misreading me.

To be brutally honest I find this very annoying, because I think if this was any other situation and any other ethnic group we'd be seeing some warnings at the very least. I don't want anyone to get banned, but think about what you're saying before you make gross negative generalizations far removed from any sort of well thought out sociological paradigm about a subaltern group.

Ok, go:
http://dip21.bundestag.de/dip21/btd/18/119/1811970.pdf
Laughable attempt at dismissing a clear-cut, factual argument.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
France may be a hotbed for terrorism, but the only specific group being targeted by native French Islamists are Jews. Funny that.
I pointed to the terrorist attacks because they are quite unprecedented in Europe when accounting for their specific targeting of one religious group and their rate of occurrence. These are not your typical ISIS attacks.

Chairman wasn't talking about Islamist or terrorists. He was talking about the antisemitism among European Muslim population which drives Jews to immigrate to Israel. I provided evidence for the first part of his claim.

That's not what he was talking about either. He was placing causality for European antisemitism on Muslims, and then insisting that such a claim was consensus.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
That's not what he was talking about either. He was placing causality for European antisemitism on Muslims, and then insisting that such a claim was consensus.
Much of Europe is becoming increasingly unsafe for the Jewish population due mostly to the Muslim population (and to a lesser degree, the resurgence of the far right). That's why for a Jewish person looking for a long-term destination, I think Canada, the US, and Israel are the best options.
Germany: 81% of all physical attacks against Jews perpetrated by Muslims who make up 5-6% of the population as per German study.
France: Muslims, Islamists and Islamic terrorists specifically targeting Jews, also antisemitism more prevalent among Muslims than non Muslims as per Norwegian study.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Laughable attempt at dismissing a clear-cut, factual argument.

What's laughable about it exactly? What specific things did I say that you disagree with?

Was it the part where I told you I already granted the possiblity of correlation ?

Sure there might be a correlation

Was it the part where I insisted on a baseline level of treating your sources well? I'm a historian so I might have put some thought into how to use sources over the course of my life.

Was it the part were I used the exact same word the article you posted used to describe its findings?

While there is much we still do not know about the phenomenon, the data reviewed in this report allow for some tentative findings.

Or maybe the point where I said something along the lines of Object A is in Set B, Objects of Set B has Property C, therefore Object A has property C?

I'm really failing to see how this is a laughable attempt to do anything, but somehow just dismissing what I'm saying as laughable without actually addressing it is okay. You're not arguing in good faith at all.

Germany: 81% of all physical attacks against Jews perpetrated by Muslims who make up 5-6% of the population as per German study.
France: Muslims, Islamists and Islamic terrorists specifically targeting Jews, also antisemitism more prevalent among Muslims than non Muslims as per Norwegian study.

Neither of these are statements of causality. I've granted time and time again that there might be a correlation. My problem is what is being inferred from such a correlative relationship and how that inference is being treated.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't see where those studies talk about increases or decreases in antisemitism or risk for Jews, nor how vastly different and diverse Muslim in different countries are comparable at all. (You gonna compare Algerians and Tunisians who've spent decades in France with other more recent inmigrants or with totally different communities in Germany or elsewhere?) Accepting the higher rate of violence against Jews from Muslims in Europe, there are SO MANY factors to study, related to policy, to economics, to education, and a long etcetera, that trying to establish causality let alone make a choice of a country from those articles (Beyond not moving to fucking Hungary) is stupid. That is, of course, before we consider what's going on in the US or in Canada. Let's not forget that Chairman was arguing that OP should move to Canada because Canada's muslims are part of " The good ones". What happens with antisemitic violence there?

Deleted member 21380

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Maybe it was the part where you specifically left out the portion of your quote that didn't support your statement.

Besides the fact that where he claimed I did that wasn't in this post, the next part of that quote didn't have much to do with my statement at all. I already addressed that. I didn't quote it because it wasn't relevant to what I was saying, not because I intentionally was trying to avoid something that would make me look bad. Honestly, I find this accusation to be quite rude, especially since it's already been addressed and you decided to bring it up for some reason.

Call me an idiot or whatever, but don't assert that I'm being dishonest with my use of sources. That's an assault on my professional integrity that I will not abide.

Of course again, that has nothing to do with the post he was calling laughable.

Could you show me where he actually claimed there was a causality?

The post that sparked off this part of the conversation.

Much of Europe is becoming increasingly unsafe for the Jewish population due mostly to the Muslim population (and to a lesser degree, the resurgence of the far right).

Did you honestly miss this, or are we going to act like "due" isn't talking about causality?

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
There is so much misinformation about Canada in this thread. It's a massive place. We have exciting, booming cities and places of the country that have good weather too!

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The post that sparked off this part of the conversation? Did you honestly miss this?

That post does not propose a causality between being a muslim and being an anti semite. For this statement to be true, there only needs to be correlation between being a muslim and making a place unsafe for jews.

Such a correlation exists at least for germany. The actual reasons for this vary widely, as our immigrant population is quite a diverse group of young men, but well, there it is: They are responsible for about 80% of physical attacks on jews in germany.

The statement is in itself true. And it's also at the same time bullshit, because the increase in anti semitic attacks is minuscule (at least here in germany), and while anti semitic rhetoric on social media by the right, the left, soccer fans and Muslims is very prevalent, this does not translate to decreased safety for jews here.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
That post does not propose a causality between being a muslim and being an anti semite. For this statement to be true, there only needs to be correlation between being a muslim and making a place unsafe for jews.

Such a correlation exists at least for germany. The actual reasons for this vary widely, as our immigrant population is quite a diverse group of young men, but well, there it is: They are responsible for about 80% of physical attacks on jews in germany.

The statement is in itself true. And it's also at the same time bullshit, because the increase in anti semitic attacks is minuscule (at least here in germany), and while anti semitic rhetoric on social media by the right, the left, soccer fans and Muslims is very prevalent, this does not translate to decreased safety for jews here.

Maybe this is a language issue, but due is a word that speaks about causality, there is no getting away from that. He was making a statement about causality. Maybe he meant to make one about mere correlation, but that's not what ended up happening.

If you say something is happening due to something else, you are making essentially the simplest causal statement possible.

It is never sufficient to show a correlation to also show causation. However correlation can be part of a wider argument, the interpretation I was talking about above, that can be in favor of causative agency.

Edit: I think what's missing here might be you misunderstand what the causal statement is. It isn't that being Muslim means you are an anti-semites, but that the "Muslim population" without qualification is somehow driving an increase in anti-semitism.

I should note a statement of causality does not mean that you're saying something is the only causal force, but that it is a causal force. Nevertheless, that poster was not only saying it was a causal force but also the largest one.

Last edited:

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Met a lot of Israelis, all good people. They say Tel Aviv, and Jerusalem are among the safest places in the middle East. Amazing night life etc.

Do it mate

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Edit: I think what's missing here might be you misunderstand what the causal statement is. It isn't that being Muslim means you are an anti-semites, but that the "Muslim population" without qualification is somehow driving an increase in anti-semitism.

The statement by the original poster was that the Muslim population drives a decrease in safety for Jews. This does not necessarily mean that antisemism "rises" in a country (however you want to quantify that), it would be enough when the kind of hate crime that is prevalent would change, for example from hate speech or swastika graffiti to physical assaults against Jews. Antisemitism could very well be declining overall in such a situation, while living as a Jew could be increasingly unsafe. Just to make clear what exactly we are talking about.

Also, in this post here I felt (probably wrongly) you seemed argue the "wrong" causal statement, which is why I felt compelled to post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/3547175/

Seems like a language barrier fuck up by me after all.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A catholic priest was beheaded by ISIS also, and churches were targeted multiple times.
It's no secret that Al Qaeda/ISIS rethoric is antisemitic, so it's not a surprise that their militants are attacking jews especifically. They didn't join Al Qaeda/ISIS because of their antisemitism, rather they attack jewish target because they are fed with antisemitic propaganda. It's important to note also that France have one of the largest (if not the largest) jewish community in Europe. That make them a easy target (and often not as protected as in other countries) for terrorist groups.

Can you show me a study that show that muslims are more antisemitic than non-muslims in France ?
In 2016, antisemitic acts were reduced by 65 %, yet the muslim population is always the same. It's pretty obvious if you're french that antisemitism is pretty widespread in the country. The most hardcore antisemitic are to be found among the catholic far-right and not the muslims. Interfaith groups are widespread in the country and you'll find many neighbourhouds in France were jews and muslims live together peacefully.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Every government commits atrocities. Hell, I guarantee that whichever country you reside in has their fair share of atrocities they have committed. Israel's are just on a larger scale and more reported than others.

I personally dislike Israeli treatment of Palestinians and Arabs, as well as their constant meddling into other countries and the free money they get from America for continuing to oppress others. But none of us have any ground to stand on when we say "don't move to a country that's commiting atrocities".
I am talking about current governments, and the israeli government is one of the worst governments in the world when it comes to respecting human rights and also respecting international laws.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
I'm really failing to see how this is a laughable attempt to do anything, but somehow just dismissing what I'm saying as laughable without actually addressing it is okay. You're not arguing in good faith at all.
That's word for word what mods write into people's ban msgs. Cool, let's get me banned then.

Neither of these are statements of causality. I've granted time and time again that their might be a correlation. My problem is what is being inferred from such a correlative relationship and how that inference is being treated.
I have not conducted a study to prove causation of 'Europe (exemplified by Germany & France) become(s) increasingly unsafe for the Jewish population due mostly to the Muslim population'. This is neither the place, nor do I have the resources & expertise to conduct such a study.
Instead, we can derive causality from the growing number of antisemitic incidents and an increasing number of Jews leaving France:
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-jewish-exodus-france (the studies are linked in the article)
In 2014, some 6,658 French Jews left for Israel, more than double the 2013 total of 3,263 people. And this was already considerably more than the 1,923 Jews who left France for Israel in 2012.

Figures for antisemitic incidents in France are available from the EU's Agency for Fundamental Rights. The Jewish organisation SPCJ reproduces them and offers a more detailed breakdown.

Although there's no clear upward trend in the numbers of incidents over the last ten years, SPCJ says that since 2000, the number of recorded crimes is about seven times higher than in the 1990s.

And while the data for 2014 has not yet been finalised, the group says there were 527 antisemitic incidents in the first six months of 2014 alone, compared to 423 for the whole of the year before.

SPCJ also points out that Jews are disproportionately targeted in hate crimes: 50 incidents of racist violence out of 125 were directed against Jews in 2013. That means Jews suffered 40 per cent of all racist attacks committed in France, despite making up less than 1 per cent of the population.

Furthermore we can derive said causality from French Muslims, Islamists and Islamic terrorists, unlike in any other country except for Israel, specifically targeting Jews in terrorist attacks and widely publicized acts of racist violence and murder.

We also know from studies which I quoted above that Muslims disproportionately harbor antisemitic views and in case of Germany are also responsible for a disproportionate majority of antisemitic violence.

Given this data and the studies I can deduce that there is a causality between Jews feeling increasingly unsafe due to rising antisemitism, antisemitic violence, Jews increasingly leaving Europe (France) AND Muslims disproportionately harboring antisemitic views while also disproportionately being responsible for violence against Jews (a claim which I can only make for Germany).
If this deduction does not meet your scientific merit then so be it.

Edit: I would also address this in a separate thread and offer a more detailed criticism of your statements if I had the privileges to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The statement by the original poster was that the Muslim population drives a decrease in safety for Jews. This does not necessarily mean that antisemism "rises" in a country (however you want to quantify that), it would be enough when the kind of hate crime that is prevalent would change, for example from hate speech or swastika graffiti to physical assaults against Jews. Antisemitism could very well be declining overall in such a situation, while living as a Jew could be increasingly unsafe. Just to make clear what exactly we are talking about.

Also, in this post here I felt (probably wrongly) you seemed argue the "wrong" causal statement, which is why I felt compelled to post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/3547175/

Seems like a language barrier fuck up by me after all.
The original article he quoted used false statistics from a paper that recognized it was difficult to measure the effects in the poll that the broader islamist terrorism issue and Islamophobia, or other cultural differences between countries could bring. It did however offer some insight to the correlation between Anti-Israel antisemitism and violence. In any case, implying the correlation between larger Muslim populations and antisemitism is absurd, more if we consider that the different European countries have very differing demographics and histories of their Muslim populations. Even if the Muslim populations of France or Germany (By the way, many are second and third generation) are disproportionately responsible for hate crimes against Jews, so are they for hate crimes and terrorism in general, after all we are dealing with the consequences of some Muslim communities falling to the claws of extremism. However and once again, those societies that are welcoming and open to Muslim migrants are generally safer, more democratic and less violent (Including towards the Jews) than those who are not. Dealing with the issues that the intersection of race, religion and cultural integration bring is a small price to pay for an open, multicultural society.

Edit: About Jews leaving to Israel, that might have to do with Israel doubling down in nationalistic propaganda, fearmongering and attacks on Palestine making people feel like they have to go support their nation. After all, Jews have been hammered for 70 years they have to go there and secure the homeland. Compare that to the 90s when the Madrid Conference and the Oslo Accords were being made, it looked like peace was possible, all that jazz. There was less urgency to take sides, and less ultranationalistic propaganda.

Last edited:

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's word for word what mods write into people's ban msgs. Cool, let's get me banned then.

I have not conducted a study to prove causation of 'Europe (exemplified by Germany & France) become(s) increasingly unsafe for the Jewish population due mostly to the Muslim population'. This is neither the place, nor do I have the resources & expertise to conduct such a study.
Instead, we can derive causality from the growing number of antisemitic incidents and an increasing number of Jews leaving France:
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-jewish-exodus-france (the studies are linked in the article)

Furthermore we can derive said causality from French Muslims, Islamists and Islamic terrorists, unlike in any other country except for Israel, specifically targeting Jews in terrorist attacks and widely publicized acts of racist violence and murder.

We also know from studies which I quoted above that Muslims disproportionately harbor antisemitic views and in case of Germany are also responsible for a disproportionate majority of antisemitic violence.

Given this data and the studies I can deduce that there is a causality between Jews feeling increasingly unsafe due to rising antisemitism, antisemitic violence, Jews increasingly leaving Europe (France) AND Muslims disproportionately harboring antisemitic views while also disproportionately being responsible for violence against Jews (a claim which I can only make for Germany).
If this deduction does not meet your scientific merit then so be it.

Edit: I would also address this in a separate thread and offer a more detailed criticism of your statements if I had the privileges to do so.

So because in Germany muslims are responsible to the majority of the attack against jews, french jews are escaping french muslims ? Do you realize that it's not because swedish muslims tend to hold antisemitic views that it does means that french muslims does ?

You're again saying that French Muslims target jews in terrorist attack, don't you realize you're conflating muslims and terrorist groups ?

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The original article he quoted used false statistics from a paper that recognized it was difficult to measure the effects in the poll that the broader islamist terrorism issue and Islamophobia, or other cultural differences between countries could bring. It did however offer some insight to the correlation between Anti-Israel antisemitism and violence. In any case, implying the correlation between larger Muslim populations and antisemitism is absurd, more if we consider that the different European countries have very differing demographics and histories of their Muslim populations. Even if the Muslim populations of France or Germany (By the way, many are second and third generation) are disproportionately responsible for hate crimes against Jews, so are they for hate crimes and terrorism in general, after all we are dealing with the consequences of some Muslim communities falling to the claws of extremism. However and once again, those societies that are welcoming and open to Muslim migrants are generally safer, more democratic and less violent (Including towards the Jews) than those who are not. Dealing with the issues that the intersection of race, religion and cultural integration bring is a small price to pay for an open, multicultural society.

Antisemitism and anti semitic violence is not a "small price to pay" for an open, multicultural society, as it leads to an antisemitic society that is not open for jews. Also, muslims in germany are definitively not responsible for "hate crimes and terrorism in general", that's a disgusting thing to say.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Antisemitism and anti semitic violence is not a "small price to pay" for an open, multicultural society, as it leads to an antisemitic society that is not open for jews. Also, muslims in germany are definitively not responsible for "hate crimes and terrorism in general", that's a disgusting thing to say.
I'm saying, it's not that there is a disproportionate rate of antisemitic attacks from Muslims, there is a disproportionate rate of terrorist attacks as well. Which makes sense considering they are a marginalized and demonized group, as well as one vulnerable to religious fanatics funded by the usual suspects. Still, I believe that's simply a symptom of an imperfect open society, as opposed to a racist or supremacist society that would close its doors to refugees and migrants all while not having any muslims of its own.
The price to pay for attempting a relatively open society is not antisemitic violence, that's actually one of the goals of actively racist societies. The price to pay is knowing that temporary failings in achieving equality, or integration, be it of native marginalized communities or of new inmigrants, will bring inevitable clashes, frictions, and episodes of violence, but also knowing that the alternative of not trying is worse.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Careful with analyzing data on your own. Unless you know what you're doing, you're best off sticking to what the data analysts conclude and no more than that. "Muslims make up 5-6% of the German population according to this..." doesn't account for place of residents for instance. Perhaps Jews and Muslims tend to live in cities where they're more likely to run into one another than your "6% of the German population" stat let's on? Either way, you'd have to control for that and certainly many other variables before you state a causation. Anti-semitism among Muslims is most certainly a problem, but I suggest you stick to stat analyses of people who do that for a living.

Deleted member 21380

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'm saying, it's not that there is a disproportionate rate of antisemitic attacks from Muslims, there is a disproportionate rate of terrorist attacks as well. Which makes sense considering they are a marginalized and demonized group, as well as one vulnerable to religious fanatics funded by the usual suspects. Still, I believe that's simply a symptom of an imperfect open society, as opposed to a racist or supremacist society that would close its doors to refugees and migrants all while not having any muslims of its own.
The price to pay for attempting a relatively open society is not antisemitic violence, that's actually one of the goals of actively racist societies. The price to pay is knowing that temporary failings in achieving equality, or integration, be it of native marginalized communities or of new inmigrants, will bring inevitable clashes, frictions, and episodes of violence, but also knowing that the alternative of not trying is worse.

Here in Germany we have been very, very open to refugees during the last years and before. We also have a quite sizable group of "muslims of our own", our community of Turkish immigrants. Also, concerning terrorist attacks, looking at the numbers I do not see a disproportionate rate of Muslim terrorist attacks in germany. But I see antisemitic attacks from them. Those have to be adressed, by various means and should not be swept under the rug because Muslims have it bad in the US.

Look, I get what you are trying to say, I just don't agree with any of it. Also, being a marginalized or demonized group is no excuse for being racist and hateful against another marginalized and demonized group. That's absurd.

Last edited:

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
So because in Germany muslims are responsible to the majority of the attack against jews, french jews are escaping french muslims ? Do you realize that it's not because swedish muslims tend to hold antisemitic views that it does means that french muslims does ?

You're again saying that French Muslims target jews in terrorist attack, don't you realize you're conflating muslims and terrorist groups ?
The Norwegian paper cites a number of European countries in which Muslims harbor antisemitic views to a disproportionate degree.
There is simply no cross European study on antisemitism and the role of Muslims therein. The Norwegian paper (for the most part) attempts an analysis of the studies from individual countries. Still, it's limited to a number of (large) ones: 'Exposure and Perpetrators in France, UK, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Russia'
I was not able to find a French study on antisemitism as detailed as the German one. The Norwegian paper claims in its summary: 'Available data on perpetrators suggest that individuals of Muslim background stand out among perpetrators of antisemitic violence in Western Europe'

I had to include 'Muslim' in that sentence because I do not know if every case cited in the linked wikipedia article is perpetrated either by a Islamist or an Islamic terrorist.
Without further information, can I assume that every white person in US who has committed a racist attack while shouting 'white power' (WP) is a Nazi or KKK clansmen? No. Therefore I cannot automatically assume that people who stab Jews while screaming 'Allahu Akbar' (AA) are Islamist (terrorists). No, I know what AA means and I do not equate it with (WP). I used it for illustrative purposes only.

Edit:

Careful with analyzing data on your own. Unless you know what you're doing, you're best off sticking to what the data analysts conclude and no more than that. "Muslims make up 5-6% of the German population according to this..." doesn't account for place of residents for instance. Perhaps Jews and Muslims tend to live in cities where they're more likely to run into one another than your "6% of the German population" stat let's on? Either way, you'd have to control for that and certainly many other variables before you state a causation. Anti-semitism among Muslims is most certainly a problem, but I suggest you stick to stat analyses of people who do that for a living.
The nuances you mentioned do not appear to matter in my interpretation. I singled out the percentage of Muslims to signify the enormity of '81% of antisemitic violence in Germany' being perpetrated by Muslims, nothing more.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Here in Germany we have been very, very open to refugees during the last years and before. We also have a quite sizable group of "muslims of our own", our community of Turkish immigrants. Also, concerning terrorist attacks, looking at the numbers I do not see a disproportionate rate of Muslim terrorist attacks in germany. But I see antisemitic attacks from them. Those have to be adressed, by various means and should not be swept under the rug because Muslims have it bad in the US.

Look, I get what you are trying to say, I just don't agree with any of it.
I'm talking exclusively about European Union, Western, Central and Northen Europe specifically. Not every country has the same Muslim community, and I'm not very knowledgeable on the German Turks or about the success of the refugee program in Germany, but I feel like you are mixing several countries in order to draw conclusions from something it's not easy to draw conclusions from. As someone earlier has said, both Muslims and Jews tend to live in cities, that to me sounds like a possible factor in the overrepresentation of Muslims in Germany's antisemitic attacks. That, and the realities of marginalization and of the Israeli-Arab conflict with its implications abroad. Other EU countries have different realities, but all of them share different degrees of marginalization of their Muslim communities, some of those marginalizations have resulted in forms of Islamic terrorism, and in many countries it's difficult to establish a real causality between Muslim communities and antisemitic attacks.
One thing is true, though: At a European scale, a society that is more welcoming to Muslims is also a society that's more welcoming to Jews.
Edit: Will continue this discussion tomorrow. My original argument was that Western Europe is not by any means an unsafe place for Jews, relative to most other countries, and that OP should come here. I'd imagine we both stand by that.
The nuances you mentioned do not appear to matter in my interpretation. I singled out the percentage of Muslims to signify the enormity of '81% of antisemitic violence in Germany' being perpetrated by Muslims, nothing more.
That's the difference between a journalist and a social scientist. The journalist points out such things as a gotcha! that should inform policy, a social scientist is cautious in establishing causality and looks into the factors that might play into the data. As it stands, that means nothing. Studies based on reporting can obviously be biased as well, especially on such a contentious issue as islamophobia.

Last edited:

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're romanticizing Israel quite a bit, OP. The country's much more conservative and nationalistic than you may realize. From your post, you sound like you're looking to have a good time but that may be after the mandatory military service. Granted, I'm not sure what your level of involvement would be as a new immigrant, but I can't imagine you wouldn't serve.