• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Many countries grant citizenship based on ethnicity/ancestry. How is this any different? And i don't support the current administration and what they are doing, but i would love to have a home to go if things go south in America with Trump.

Oh the irony lol. At least the US has some checks and balances that's keeping worse things from happening in the US. While in Palestine, people are kept in city sized cages slowly killing them and steeling their lands. Love to see how you logically justify that. "Oh, ok it's better then here."

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't move to Israel even if it makes sense for your personal circumstances. Instead, just go to one of the morally blameless countries where racism doesn't exist. It's really that simple.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
This is my line of thinking. Doing my part in making Israel a better country even if it is just a little bit. Anything to pull the far right Likud out of power.

Israel is a beautiful country with a complicated history. I want to be closer to my father and our ancestral lands where we once lived.
Lmao dude the far right will never be out of power. Israel is an ethnostate and you shouldn't support that my dude

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So which settlement are you planning to live in?
I don't really know yet, but if i do make Aliyah i'm hoping its in Tel Aviv or somewhere close to it. Great public transportation and English seems fluent there. More liberal there is a plus too.

Lmao dude the far right will never be out of power. Israel is an ethnostate and you shouldn't support that my dude

You shouldn't move to Israel even if it makes sense for your personal circumstances. Instead, just go to one of the morally blameless countries where racism doesn't exist. It's really that simple.

Oh the irony lol. At least the US has some checks and balances that's keeping worse things from happening in the US. While in Palestine, people are kept in city sized cages slowly killing them and steeling their lands. Love to see how you logically justify that. "Oh, ok it's better then here."

I'm not going to justify what is happening to the Palestinians because you can't. It's horrible and i hope one day we can all live in the same state with equal rights and citizenship for all. I'm not going to pretend i have the answers to solve the conflict.

This is all just me brainstorming ideas of me leaving the country if things get too bad and Israel is probably going to be one of the easiest options for me. :/ I'm not going to school or have a high paying job lined up so my options are going to be limited. Regardless if i ever leave i would like to have a dual citizenship just in case if my life ever was in danger.

Last edited:

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
I always wonder, concerning those who are so quick to point out that Israel is an ethnostate... do they not realize that literally every other country in the Middle East is an ethnostate? And that Isreal is only an ethnostate because of that fact, because all other middle eastern Jews were driven out of the surrounding Islamic ethnostate countries to Isreal? Is there an alternative to Isreal being a relative ethnostate (because relative to other middle eastern countries it isn't) that doesn't end in wholesale violence? And why is the onus placed upon Isreal to defend against or reform their newly found ethnostate reputation when no other middle eastern country does?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know yet, but if i do make Aliyah i'm hoping its in Tel Aviv or somewhere close to it. Great public transportation and English seems fluent there. More liberal there is a plus too.

I'm not going to justify what is happening to the Palestinians because you can't. It's horrible and i hope one day we can all live in the same state with equal rights and citizenship for all. I'm not going to pretend i have the answers to solve the conflict.

This is all just me brainstorming ideas of me leaving the country if things get too bad and Israel is probably going to be one of the easiest options for me. :/ I'm not going to school or have a high paying job lined up so my options are going to be limited. Regardless if i ever leave i would like to have a dual citizenship just in case if my life ever was in danger.
It being easy doesn't necessarily mean you should do it

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I always wonder, concerning those who are so quick to point out that Israel is an ethnostate... do they not realize that literally every other country in the Middle East is an ethnostate? And that Isreal is only an ethnostate because of that fact, because all other middle eastern Jews were driven out of the surrounding Islamic ethnostate countries to Isreal? Is there an alternative to Isreal being a relative ethnostate (because relative to other middle eastern countries it isn't) that doesn't end in wholesale violence? And why is the onus placed upon Isreal to defend against or reform their newly found ethnostate reputation when no other middle eastern country does?
That's not why Israel is an ethnostate. The existence of Israel has very little to do with developments in Middle Easter countries, since it was founded by European Jews, through the UK's colonial administration of Palestine.

In any case, and even of that falsehood was true, I don't see hoe it's not derailing and whataboutism. If someone with a claim to Saudi citizenship (A tyrannical, Sunni supremacist country that funds terrorist groups everywhere) it would be ironic for them to think of moving there in case politics in the US go south, they are not going to go as south as they have always been in Israel or Saudi.

Oct 26, 2017

Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon are not ethnostates.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Probably the dumbest post of all time

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
In this thread:

- Americans saying that Israel is unsafe: please compare life expectancy and violent deaths per capital of Israel vs the USA
- Americans saying that Israel has shitty politics: please turn on the news
- Americans saying that Israel was built on uprooting the natives: please check your history

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Does anyone else puke in their mouth a little with the come to Tel Aviv commercials with the Instagram models and shit? Like fucking hell y'all have an apartheid state going on and you make it sound all sunny and shit.
Yep.

Same reason threads like this are so weird.

"It's a beautiful country", sure if you ignore the daily crimes against humanity.

Also with increasing "settlements" IE land theft, I wonder if any members here are participating.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are escaping the US just to escape Trump then just know that when you go to Israel it would mean Israel has to make more illegal settlements. The more people that immigrate there, the more Israel needs to illegally take over Palestinian land. And no, being liberal won't help anyone because there are more conservative people and even then liberal people are centerists. There is a reason Netanyahu keeps winning and you will potentially see him win yet again.

At this point you are just moving from one place because of an evil president to another that has a prime minister that is evil but has the image of being "good". I would argue that Netanyahu and his supporters are worse than Trump because of their crimes against Palestine and humanity.

Keep that in mind if you decide to move there.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
If you are escaping the US just to escape Trump then just know that when you go to Israel it would mean Israel has to make more illegal settlements. The more people that immigrate there, the more Israel needs to illegally take over Palestinian land. And no, being liberal won't help anyone because there are more conservative people and even then liberal people are centerists. There is a reason Netanyahu keeps winning and you will potentially see him win yet again.

At this point you are just moving from one place because of an evil president to another that has a prime minister that is evil but has the image of being "good". I would argue that Netanyahu and his supporters are worse than Trump because of their crimes against Palestine and humanity.

Keep that in mind if you decide to move there.
Well said.

I find threads like these disgusting and trying to make it seem innocent by ignoring Palestinian issue which leaves nothing but a big elephant in the room.

The immigration to Isreal plays a role in the Isreali strategy to plant more illegal settlements (which is land theft) and I find that extremely suspicious that some posters here are trying to avoid the subject and paint a rosy picture.

What is shameful is that even the mods here are supporting sweeping this issue under the rug by prohibiting discussion on the Isreal-Palestine conflict.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
In this thread:

- Americans saying that Israel is unsafe: please compare life expectancy and violent deaths per capital of Israel vs the USA
- Americans saying that Israel was built on uprooting the natives: please check your history
One aspect I failed to mention was the amount of gun violence in America. It's almost a daily basis in my city alone not even mentioning all the mass shootings. :/

You just never know when some Neo Nazi nutjob is going to go on a killing spree thinking he's going to get a pardon from our president.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
You literally have to worry about whether the mall will blow up when you go out for the day.

Also how much do you like nationalism?
You really don't. and we more like a don't give a fuck bunch then a nationalistic bunch
I live in Tel-Aviv. I was born in Israel so I can't tell you how easy it is, but I have many immigrant friends and it seemed easy for them, if you can prove Jewish ancestry. They also get some help package from the government (basically money every month for the first year or something, but you might have to return some of it if you leave quickly. You should check it out, anyway).

As for living here, there are pros and cons. If you tell people you emigrated from the US they will most likely gawk and say "what the fuck? Why?"
I can give more specific notes if you say where you're from and what do you do.

Pros, compared to the US:
- Health care and social services are better.
- In some specific fields there is more employment.
- No antisemitism if that's a concern for you.
- Safer (terrorism included).

Cons:
- High cost of living, especially rent and food costs.
- People are almost ubiquitously rude.
- Customer service is terrible.
- There's no public transport on Saturday and many stores close on Saturday, especially outside of tel aviv.
- If you can get EU citizenship, there are countries with the same pros and none of the cons.
Haha yeah that's a good summery

Deleted member 21012

Oct 28, 2017
I live in Tel-Aviv. I was born in Israel so I can't tell you how easy it is, but I have many immigrant friends and it seemed easy for them, if you can prove Jewish ancestry. They also get some help package from the government (basically money every month for the first year or something, but you might have to return some of it if you leave quickly. You should check it out, anyway).

As for living here, there are pros and cons. If you tell people you emigrated from the US they will most likely gawk and say "what the fuck? Why?"
I can give more specific notes if you say where you're from and what do you do.

Pros, compared to the US:
- Health care and social services are better.
- In some specific fields there is more employment.
- No antisemitism if that's a concern for you.
- Safer (terrorism included).

Cons:
- High cost of living, especially rent and food costs.
- People are almost ubiquitously rude.
- Customer service is terrible.
- There's no public transport on Saturday and many stores close on Saturday, especially outside of tel aviv.
- If you can get EU citizenship, there are countries with the same pros and none of the cons.

As an immigrant to Israel, getting citizenship was quite easy. As long as you can prove it. You get a very small stipend from the Gov. when you get here, and no, you don't need to return it if you leave.They simply freeze payments. You get some basic Hebrew course too.

For the OP:

Cost of living is super high, but you can always move out of Tel Aviv. Completely agree on the services being super bad, and people being often rude.

If you're more on the liberal side, move to Haifa where Arabs and Jews coexist a bit easier. Tel Aviv is also a good pick. I live in the South, so jobs are less abundant though, but cost of living (especially rent) is lower.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
As an immigrant to Israel, getting citizenship was quite easy. As long as you can prove it. You get a very small stipend from the Gov. when you get here, and no, you don't need to return it if you leave.They simply freeze payments. You get some basic Hebrew course too.

For the OP:

Cost of living is super high, but you can always move out of Tel Aviv. Completely agree on the services being super bad, and people being often rude.

If you're more on the liberal side, move to Haifa where Arabs and Jews coexist a bit easier. Tel Aviv is also a good pick. I live in the South, so jobs are less abundant though, but cost of living (especially rent) is lower.
How's public transportation in Haifa/Tel Aviv? I hate driving to a T if I could live there without a car that would be perfect for me.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I kind of view it like emigrating to China. Yes you will be supporting a horrible regime based on ethnonationalism, but if it's what's best for your family I won't judge you too hard. I don't know your situation.

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Let's take your argument as being completely true - even then, Israel compares itself to european countries and the US. Not Middle East dictatorships. The bar is set very low if that's where you're 'defence of Israel' is.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Who said i was okay with Natenyahu?
Trump is all i hear 24/7 and it's driving me insane how much this man gets away with. I'm sure it's similar in Israel
You don't want to live Trump's America, you want to live in Natenyahu's Isreal.

Nice, so Natenyahu's war crimes don't bother you as much.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

lmfao please just stop

In this thread:

you're for real saying that cuz shit sucks in America, Americans shouldn't criticize anything outside the country? wack.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Just FYI President Obama probably ordered the killing of more Muslims than Netanyahu.
Come on man. You can't seriously be using arguments like this.

you're for real saying that cuz shit sucks in America, Americans shouldn't criticize anything outside the country? wack.
It's a pile of "what about..." deflection. You live in a country that's built on a genocide? This means you're not allowed to complain about similar things happening elsewhere, regardless your perspective. For some reason.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Ah, deflections.

Perfect when you don't have an argument to stand on.

It's not a deflection. I don't like Netanyahu or agree with his policies, but if you think the word genocide applies here then the USA is also genocidal.

OP said he was considering emigrating to Israel. In response, people in this thread said that he shouldn't because it's unsafe, has terrible politics and has a history rooted in evil. But the USA is very arguably worse on every single one of these criteria. So if that is a valid reason not to live in Israel, OP and all of the posters who criticized him should also not live in the USA. If the OP lived on Sweden then maybe this argument had some merit.

Discussion guidelines

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is an old thread that got bumped, but it does not mean this old staff post from back then does not apply:

Let's remember that this thread is about emigrating to Israel and not about Israel/Palestine politics. And let's remember to drop the hostilities and not constantly attack others and insinuate that they're anti-Semitic/anti-Palestinian/etc. and so on. Thanks.​

If you have nothing to contribute except lecturing or attacking others, please don't post. Any future derail will be moderated accordingly.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): disregarding the staff post

Emigrating to Israel IS about Israel/Palestine politics when the Israeli government is forcing people from their homes in order to make room for said immigrants.

But cool, I look forward to immigration making Israel a liberal beacon once all the Palestinians have been driven into tiny barely habitable bantustans, living off whatever scraps magnanimous folks like TaySan deign to toss their way.

EDIT: Just saw the modpost by Morrigan and I stand by what I said because, well, that's just the truth.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So white they were burned for their race by white people... jeez.

It feels like people take from the experience of Jews in America since the 1970s and think that being Jewish is just privileged whiteness or whatever. It's disturbingly lacking in perspective.
Many white ethnicities have been victims of genocide by other white ethnicities. People in the Balkans are white last time I checked, Ashkenazi Jews are white, slavs are white and were killed by the Nazis for their race too...
Unless white is a codename for "never been a victim of any discrimination", then many Jews are white.

kylecoley182

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emigrating to Israel IS about Israel/Palestine politics when the Israeli government is forcing people from their homes in order to make room for said immigrants.

But cool, I look forward to immigration making Israel a liberal beacon once all the Palestinians have been driven into tiny barely habitable bantustans, living off whatever scraps magnanimous folks like TaySan deign to toss their way.

EDIT: Just saw the modpost by Morrigan and I stand by what I said because, well, that's just the truth.
I see both sides

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I apologize if i meant any harm to anyone.

Part of why i want to move to Israel is because of Trump yes, but also because i want to reconnect to a culture that was lost on me and my father and gain some living experience on my own. I feel it would be a great learning experience for me and wouldn't be a permanent stay or anything

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I apologize if i meant any harm to anyone.

Part of why i want to move to Israel is because of Trump yes, but also because i want to reconnect to a culture that was lost on me and my father and gain some living experience on my own. I feel it would be a great learning experience for me and wouldn't be a permanent stay or anything

There are tons of young American Jews in Tel Aviv. Vast majority are liberal. The weather is great and there are many jobs in tech for people with native English (mostly sales and customer support).

Learning Hebrew could be tough, but like any foreign language it's very rewarding. I know an American girl who moved to Israel to be with her Israeli boyfriend (now husband). She managed to get by just fine in Tel Aviv using English, but after a few years she was basically fluent with a really impressive accent as well. At the very least it's an adventure... I think everyone should live abroad for a while if they get a chance. It opens up your mind, and ironically makes you appreciate your home country for its advantages. You might choose to go back to America but at least you'll appreciate what's good about it.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that it can be very hard to learn Hebrew in a place like Tel-Aviv because everyone will just speak English to you, and will usually not be patient enough to humour you by speaking Hebrew once they hear your accent. I have many immigrant friends and they all didn't really learn much Hebrew until they got in relationships and stuff.

Recently there have been language exchange events and such pretty often so it might be easier to learn that way.

As far as public transport-- if you live inside Tel-Aviv you can do fine with it (or with a scooter/bike) but outside it might be a bit hard unless you're super close to a train station (to get to Tel-Aviv). I live in Tel-Aviv and only use a car when I need to go out of the city.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jews aren't white lol
Many Jews are white...

As a Jewish person, it's like I'm reading my own internal monologue on this issue lol.

To this day, I don't know if I consider myself white or not. Many of us do enjoy the presumptions and advantages that white people do. If you look at whiteness as a purely skin deep analysis, then yes, many of us are white. If you look at whiteness and Jewishness as an ethnic identity, then no, I don't think we are white at all.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Many white ethnicities have been victims of genocide by other white ethnicities. People in the Balkans are white last time I checked, Ashkenazi Jews are white, slavs are white and were killed by the Nazis for their race too...
Unless white is a codename for "never been a victim of any discrimination", then many Jews are white.
This is a very one-dimensional take on the issue. The answer depends on the context.

As a white supremecist if he agrees that Jews are white.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
There are tons of young American Jews in Tel Aviv. Vast majority are liberal. The weather is great and there are many jobs in tech for people with native English (mostly sales and customer support).

Learning Hebrew could be tough, but like any foreign language it's very rewarding. I know an American girl who moved to Israel to be with her Israeli boyfriend (now husband). She managed to get by just fine in Tel Aviv using English, but after a few years she was basically fluent with a really impressive accent as well. At the very least it's an adventure... I think everyone should live abroad for a while if they get a chance. It opens up your mind, and ironically makes you appreciate your home country for its advantages. You might choose to go back to America but at least you'll appreciate what's good about it.
My father had the benefit of living abroad Europe during his youth( and Isreal too) before he met my mother and he gain a ton memories and experience in his life. This is my chance to do the same! :D Tel Aviv is definitely where i want to look into if i do make the move. Thank you. for your help. :D
I think that it can be very hard to learn Hebrew in a place like Tel-Aviv because everyone will just speak English to you, and will usually not be patient enough to humour you by speaking Hebrew once they hear your accent. I have many immigrant friends and they all didn't really learn much Hebrew until they got in relationships and stuff.

Recently there have been language exchange events and such pretty often so it might be easier to learn that way.

As far as public transport-- if you live inside Tel-Aviv you can do fine with it (or with a scooter/bike) but outside it might be a bit hard unless you're super close to a train station (to get to Tel-Aviv). I live in Tel-Aviv and only use a car when I need to go out of the city.
I live in Phoenix right now and you basically need a car if you want to get anywhere and my job requires me to drive all over the metro every week. If i could give up my car that would be a dream. lol Not needing to completely learn Hebrew is definitely a plus for Tel Aviv. My father lived in Tel Aviv back in 89, but i'm sure it's completely different now.
As a Jewish person, it's like I'm reading my own internal monologue on this issue lol.

To this day, I don't know if I consider myself white or not. Many of us do enjoy the presumptions and advantages that white people do. If you look at whiteness as a purely skin deep analysis, then yes, many of us are white. If you look at whiteness and Jewishness as an ethnic identity, then no, I don't think we are white at all.
I'm "fortunate" enough to have most of my mom features so i'm pretty white passing. My father definitely is a lot darker. We are definitely a mixed people.

Last edited: