• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to figure out why people are so butthurt over the fact stated in the OP. Y'all got some issues.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Album Consumption is calculated as follows:

• Total Album Project Units (Audio Streams) = Album Sales + (Song Sales/10) + (OnDemand Audio Streams/1500)
• Total Album Project Units (Total Streams) = Album Sales + (Song Sales/10) + (OnDemand Audio Streams/1500) + (On-Demand Video Streams/1500)
So it's not just physical sales for those who just want to hand wave it off.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Wondered how long it would take for someone to drop in the thread and try to change the discussion to something purely subjective and not tangible in the least. Bravo on those goal posts, homie.

I mean, if you wanna talk purely financial, the best album of the year last year was The Greatest Showman OST. The best hip hop album was Drake's Scorpion.

Using monetary popularity as a gauge of the juice is iffy at best. Ain't no rap albums beating the Mama Mia 2 soundtrack.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Him going after mumble rap made him seem like the old, mad, white guy. As Billboard's Charles Holmes put it, "Eminem tries to stop [his] artistic decline by blaming everyone except himself,". lol

I dont really care what it made him look like really. The mumble rap shit deserved to get shit on. Glad somebody did it.

Though, any artist going after mumble rappers the way he did this year gets props from me. I can't wait for that shit to just die.

Preach. That trash cant die soon enough. Its amazing how fucking many nobodies are running with that style. The radio has always been insufferable, but its one after another now. Its awful.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't like his music, but he deserves the sales for telling his own fans to fuck off if they support Trump. There are a lot of artists out there shitting on Trump, but it's rare to see them go after their own fans. It stands in stark contrast to Kanye West publicly tickling Trump's butthole in the Oval Office.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

It's a really weird metric because it's attempting to weight singles or single songs purchased as highly as albums, so "consumption" of an artist with one banger (see XXXtencion) can be more relevant than an artist who sells dramatically more albums (see Ed Sherran or Migos or, yes, Eminem).

It's just strange. These metrics basically say, "he who owns the summer jam owns the world".

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
yeah all I know is I'm upstairs listening to my Eminem cd when I see all these flames goin' everywhere in the thread, you know what I'm sayin'

RESETERA WHAT BABY

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Thriller is 2nd in Vinyl sales? That's... somewhat shocking it's still up there lol.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
For those that live in the modern era, the biggest albums are:

1. reputation - Taylor Swift
2. Scorpion - Drake
3. Beerbongs & Bentley's - Post Malone
4. The Greatest Showman
5. ÷ (Divide) - Ed Sheeran
6. Invasion of Privacy - Cardi B
7. Astroworld - Travis Scott
8. Stoney - Post Malone
9. ? - XXXTENTACION
10. Culture II - Migos
11. Evolve - Imagine Dragons
12. Black Panther
13. DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar
14. KOD - J. Cole
15. American Teen - Khalid
16. Luv Is Rage 2 - Lil Uzi Vert
17. Kamikaze - Eminem
18. Goodbye & Good Ridance - Juice WRLD
19. 17 - XXXTENTACION
20. This One's For You - Luke Combs

https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2018/top-billboard-200-albums
Yup I don't know why people take physical album sales by themselves as a good metric in 2018/2019

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Kamikaze is pretty much just - Ringer, Greatest, Lucky you, Not alike, Fall. To me anyway and that's being generous. He makes a big statement albeit a stretched out repetitious one, there was a refreshing return to quality then just falls back into mediocrity with the other tracks.

In saying that, Em was back for a bit and I loved it but I just can't see him giving up his commercial ways. The man loves money and cannot appeal to hardcore hip hop base anymore.

Killshot was good too

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont really care what it made him look like really. The mumble rap shit deserved to get shit on. Glad somebody did it.
But it'd be different if he had anything meaninful to say about it beyond not liking it. He didn't and worse yet he blamed it's popularity created a atmosphere where Revival wasn't well received and why people couldn't apprediate it's genius. lol

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
The Dude is more if singer then a rapper. And even then there's no such thing as Mumble rap. It just a derogatory term people use against new rap.
Mumble rap is definitely a thing what? Lol it's just a rapper that puts little emphasis on his lyrics and almost sounds lazy with their voice, whether you can understand him or not isn't really the point.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't give a damn about Eminem, but good for him. There are not a lot of "modern" artists who have any longevity, especially rappers and pop stars. It's mostly just flash-in-the-pan, flavor of the month artists who might have a couple of successful albums before they disappear into obscurity. Good for him for actually having a successful career and not just a few good years. Longevity has become rare the last few decades.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify: I don't think that mumble rap really exists. It's a derogatory term for new artists. But it's not just about mumbling, it's the whole "soundcloud aesthetic".
I would argue there was a point where a lot of new songs could be called "Mubling " but that was... years ago. Folks aren't doing that, so when folks go mumble i'm like... Who?

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Reminds me of this sad lil display of JT's Man of the Woods CDs at the Walgreens checkout aisle. It had 6 CDs in it and I'd send my gf a picture of it every time I went to Walgreens and none of the CDs ever disappeared.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Never understood why a lot of Era hate him. But good on him doing well and staying very relevant. Take the L :)

NYCrooner

Jan 3, 2018
I kind of think that's the fault of the Em fans who felt the need to always make it known they don't consider current trends of rap to be as good as Eminem. I don't even care that much but I still groan anytime I see someone post a "I wonder if any of those so called "mumble rappers" could actually do a real flow like this Eminem video" on social media.
I'll be honest that I've never seen any of these videos you refer to but I don't doubt their existence. However while Stan's are a real thing and would defend Em if he farted on a record, I also believe that hating on Em has become a very popular stance to take. It's one thing to say his albums aren't great but when someone says he's not a great rapper, that's completely ignoring his technical ability for the sake of it. Like I said, he is very polarizing. Not sure any rapper has ever divided people the way Em has. Not Pac, not Jay, not BIG, not Nas, etc.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eminem is no goat and never was. If you look at streams or digital album sales, I'm sure he isn't above Drake

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ive banned myself from going down K holes.
So im not even gonna bother trying to google BTS music.

Nope nope nope nice try world but those K holes last hours at a time.

On Topic:
Seriously who actually buys albums?

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eminem is no goat and never was. If you look at streams or digital album sales, I'm sure he isn't above Drake
Eminem has been in the legends category for a while. There's no GOAT rapper.

Also it's highly unlikely Eminem will ever be above Drake in digital sales or streaming. One rapper is in his twilight years of music, the other just had their best year ever. It's a strange comparison.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eminem has been in the legends category for a while. There's no GOAT rapper.

Also it's highly unlikely Eminem will ever be above Drake in digital sales or streaming. One rapper is in his twilight years of music, the other just had their best year ever. It's a strange comparison.

Agree about the GOAT rapper.

Selling albums doesn't mean what it did like years ago, biggest albums are surely determined by streams and other online metrics. If anyone looked at the figures where it mattered, they would see although Kamikaze may have been great but it wasn't number one in any of those categories in 2018.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Agree about the GOAT rapper.

Selling albums doesn't mean what it did like years ago, biggest albums are surely determined by streams and other online metrics. If anyone looked at the figures where it mattered, they would see although Kamikaze may have been great but it wasn't number one in any of those categories in 2018.
Post #133 in this thread has a good list on where Eminem's "Kamikaze" ranks when comparing physical, digital and steaming 😉

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I'm one of the weirdos that bought a physical Kamikaze. Got the censored version at WalMart no less (needed something to listen to on a road trip through a rural area with no cell service) as it was all they had. Great album. Em is building his reputation as someone that is defined by his critics, calling them out, challenging them, etc so all of the hate directed his way only gives him more material to work with. His lines against Lord Jamar, for example, are nuts. Not to mention when he goes in on MGK in Not Alike (or Killshot). Everyone can keep hating because it clearly makes the music better.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising most of his stans are
flabbynsick.png

Phyranion

May 1, 2018
Well deserved! Kamikaze was such as great album. Switch out those last three tracks with something else and it would have been untouchable.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So nobody goes platinum anymore, huh? Bummer.

How many album streams equate to a million physical copies anyways?
Well it's a little complicated. Different streaming (think paid vs free vs YouTube), all have different units to equal an album sold. If you have use Apple Music or Spotify Premium, 1,250 streams = one album. If you use a free streaming service, 3,750 streams = one album. Video streams are also 3,750 for one album.

So essentially, (and if my math is correct), if an album is streamed 1.250 (1,250,000,000) billion times, then you can get one million album sales. And that's if someone is using a premium streaming service. A thing to note is that every single song that is streamed on that album counts towards that total. It's why a lot of rap artists are having more and more songs on their albums, because it increases streams and therefore the amount of "units" sold.

Here's the Wikipedia article for it, where I got my information:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album-equivalent_unit