• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Lyrics are good but shit this song sucks...doesn't sound good at all.

Also, wow is it heavy handed. Extremely to the point. LOL.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I usually dislike hip hop but I kinda like this. :O What does this say about the track? :D Positively quirky and even feeling a little oldschool.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Message is straight but why can't this man make anything sonically pleasing anymore

Why does he insist on doing this weird flow still

Went from yelling all the time to choppy delivery lol

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The lyrics are decent, but everything else is ass.

Edit: The more I listen to it, the more I warm up to it. It's good.

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Once the best changes Em rips it but those first few mins are tough

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Lyrically, Em still has it.. but it's been years since he's been able to make a decent song.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
My god, this is just awful music to listen to. Lyrically he's fine sure, but the beat isn't doing much and Em's flow is fucking everywhere plus that corny ass cadence. Ugh

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Message is fine, but his lyricism is fucking horrible with this beat, production kills this song. His flow is all over the place.

Nov 8, 2017
Now I can indentify when people are gonna complain about the flow, but I don't understand why it's not "sonically pleasing." Do people want the bars deleivered in the same rhythm, over and over again? That's boring to me and I'm sure Em would be bored delivering it. But that seems to be the biggest difference between Ems delivery and most of the delivery is the popular hip hop tracks right now. Kendrick's "Humble" delivery is a good example of this. 2 8th notes on beat one, followed by 3 beats of 16th notes, over and over and over again. Is being repetitive the only way to be "sonically pleasing?"

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Very interesting song. Going by the cover art and this new single, it seems like the album will be more political. Can't wait to check it out when it releases.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
We back boisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, awesome song. Washed away the insipid taste from Walk On Water.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bad tune man. Good message, but it is bad
This. I went and listened to a few tracks off of MMLP2 last week for some reason and forgot what a dumpster fire that album was. Em has been dead since Eminem show imo. I guess encore was cool at the time bc I was a kid and didn't care much about the quality

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I hated the first half of the record. The beat switch half way through was fine and made the rest of the record listenable, but I'd prolly never listen to it again. Tbh, Em's "woke" bars are kinda eye-rolly to me.

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Second half is fire. I need the lyrics to the entire Kap part.

Seems a lot of people are missing the message. Also, if a new artist came out with this song and this flow people would eat it up.

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Kind of crazy to see how split people are on this one. I honestly think the second half of the song is some of the best stuff he's done in years. The odd first half does kind of detract from it, but there are some fire lyrics later in the song.

"Fuck your republican views,
Pull us up by our bootstraps,
Where the fuck are our boots?"

"Just keep marching, til' we reach congress
But they gonna say you're trying to take an irrational stance
cause you try to slander the flag
But somebody has to be the sacrificial lamb
So they call it a Kapernick tantrum
if you don't stand for the national anthem
We raised it, you better praise it or you'll be made to feel like a traitor,
we'll Treat you like Rodney Dangerfield
Home of the bravest still, racist spills
So the whole nation feels like a plantation field
In a country that claims that it was founded on
based on united states ideals
That had its Natives killed
Got you singing the Star Spangled Banner
to a piece of cloth that represents the land of the free that made people slaves to build."

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
the hook is bad. like really bad and it is a shame cause he used to effortlessly come up with catchy hooks. main problem with the song is that it isn't concise and it feels like could have been split into two smaller songs and worked better.

but the verses are really good, esp after the beat switches around the 2 and a half min mark. liked it overall, especially the last verse which is excellent.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a lot to take in. Couldn't imagine really listening to this for enjoyment. It feels very disoriented and choppy... not in a progressive way either. His thematic intent is admirable.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
Second half is fire. I need the lyrics to the entire Kap part.

Seems a lot of people are missing the message. Also, if a new artist came out with this song and this flow people would eat it up.
The thing is the message is secondary if the flow is trash, he is supposed to make music and no, I promise you nobody would care about this song if it was a new artist, unless you mean an already popular new artist

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
The thing is the message is secondary if the flow is trash, he is supposed to make music and no, I promise you nobody would care about this song if it was a new artist, unless you mean an already popular new artist
I'll give you that in the first half. Weird flow, but he seems to dial it in for the second half and nails down a more classic Em flow. It almost should be two songs.

My main beef with Em currently is Rick Rubin. Love the dude, but everything sounds Beastie Boys now.

Also, I need some Em and Chance, Run the Jewels, Kendrick, etc. A feature on this song by another politically outspoken artist would have been perfect.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the content but im not really feeling this musically. What's worse is that this guy's got Dr Dre just at the other end of the phone

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you that in the first half. Weird flow, but he seems to dial it in for the second half and nails down a more classic Em flow. It almost should be two songs.

My main beef with Em currently is Rick Rubin. Love the dude, but everything sounds Beastie Boys now.

Also, I need some Em and Chance, Run the Jewels, Kendrick, etc. A feature on this song by another politically outspoken artist would have been perfect.
agreed on the rick rubin part.

the last verse was fire. wasnt feeling the first half.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This song is beautiful. What a way to twist rhymes, flow, facts, emotions, beats, and social commentary all into one thing.

Agreed - How are people saying its bad. Its fresh, its creative, its layered and nuanced, it IS different (which sometimes makes people get nostalgic for sounds past), and its a punch in the face to certain people. And his rapping over the rhythm seems just fine.

I like the first half more - has a live in the club sound, good energy.

Maybe he has something to say, maybe he isn't trying to make you bob your heads now. A song about bad cops is gonna get heard by millions of kids now, black and white, so thats a win right there.