• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I hope these people can work on a fresh IP for a decent publisher now. No doubt DICE has many talented people on board, but EA keeps ruining everything.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, while EA probably brought a lot of stability to DICE look at all the stuff that was lost. They are in effect the Battlefield house or games like Battlefield.

Even spin offs like Bad Company that had good ideas that needed fleshing out got crushed eventually because they didn't hit huge numbers.

Dice used to be one of the up and coming racing game developers. Squashed.

Where I am getting at and it his kind of intimated in the article; people get sick of making the same shit over and over, and while turnover is normal, eventually you get to a point where there are enough good alternatives that people will peace out entirely.

So is this a trend for Dice? A turning point? Who can be sure. With the way EA runs their business though it will never return to the times when they truly had a wide ranging catalog of varying titles that offered a lot of different experiences. EA used to cover so much more ground. While focusing on several more profitable games and turning them in to seminal franchises may have helped the shareholders a d C-suite folks, I am just not sure we have completely seen the potential longterm fallout/success of those decisions.

People getting burnt out though is an indicator.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I do miss DICE being able to stretch their legs creatively a bit. I'm sure it's also not easy taking the brunt of blame for monetization decisions that aren't really made by you.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
wait another AAA gaming company other then Rockstar has shitty practices? Is this going to be another 60 page thread with boycotts galore? If not yall are hypocrites

I know you're trying to start trouble here, but tbh I imagine a lot of people who would boycott Rockstar over churn are the exact same people who would already be boycotting companies like EA, 2K, WB, Activision, etc for a number of business practices.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I know you're trying to start trouble here, but tbh I imagine a lot of people who would boycott Rockstar over churn are the exact same people who would already be boycotting companies like EA, 2K, WB, Activision, etc for a number of business practices.

I'm not sure if I'm buying RDR2 yet or not, but I did not purchase BF2 and I have not purchased an NBA2K game in ~3 years. I still need to do a whole lot better about how and what I consume, particularly with stuff that affects way more than just games, but I try to keep an even perspective.

Right now, though, I'm all in on BFV.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This article seems like a reach to me. Any time there is one show in town and then other competing companies show up you are going to have employees jump ship. That's not a sign that something is wrong with the company they left, that's just how it always works. Between Epic, Ubisoft, King and Paradox you are bound to lose a few people.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Really a shame the way Battlefront II worked out. I had such high hopes for the game. DICE working on a Star Wars game was something I used to dream about when I was younger. At any rate, I hope the employees there are happy and healthy.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Other studios opening in the location you used to be the only (swedish) fish in, will do that. If someone opens another studio in Warsaw, you'd expect to see a bunch of people leave CDPR.

At least that's my reading.

[edit] I think long term this will be good for them. More studios also means the dev pool grows, and ideas and practices start to flow more easily. I wouldn't move to a 1 studio town, but if there's >3, then you have my interest.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit weird that everyone is ignoring the DICE employee in their rush to spit hot takes.

Really this seems like normal turnover.

This is ResetEra. People only pay attention to what fits the narrative they have in mind. Actual employee opinions don't matter as seen in the Rockstar employees thread.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden strikes me as having a very fast growing gaming industry (much like the uk in the late 90s), so I'm not shocked if people are jumping ship for better paying jobs or new studious with creative ideas.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What exactly did they totally change in BF2??

I thought the only thing they did was just disable the lootbox menu

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I think long term this will be good for them. More studios also means the dev pool grows, and ideas and practices start to flow more easily.

It is good for everyone. More studios, more competitive job openings and opportunities for everyone, that could attract more numerous and diverse employees, that could improve the overall market, that could push companies to open more positions or studios...

It's only a good thing when the market is growing, as long as that growth stays healthy and sustainable, of course. :)

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's a bit weird that everyone is ignoring the DICE employee in their rush to spit hot takes.

Really this seems like normal turnover.

Yup, people have a narrative built solely out of "hey it's cool to hate publishers and corporations"...meanwhile working conditions at EA and DICE are outstanding by every measure, and probably significantly better than any job most people have had. It's hard when you have a belief based solely on hot takes from the cool kids on Youtube and Reddit, to admit you might be wrong.

Enough logic, now back to the "AAA publishers are forcing people to work in tech sweatshops against their will solely to create MTX addicts of everyone" narrative.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know developers at DICE frustrated with Battlefront but the majority I know that have left are leaving because it's that time in their careers to jump ship to another developer for a better position.

Nov 23, 2017
Yup, people have a narrative built solely out of "hey it's cool to hate publishers and corporations"...meanwhile working conditions at EA and DICE are outstanding by every measure, and probably significantly better than any job most people have had. It's hard when you have a belief based solely on hot takes from the cool kids on Youtube and Reddit, to admit you might be wrong.

Enough logic, now back to the "AAA publishers are forcing people to work in tech sweatshops against their will solely to create MTX addicts of everyone" narrative.
Sure but do you not see even a little bit why someone would not take an employee at face value? If people only listened to the people who were allowed to speak by their employer about their employer we would never see any criticism of employers. I want to make it clear I'm not saying that poster is lying but I think it's fair to assume there is implicit bias.

Would you talk negatively about your employer? Probably not. I wouldn't.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Sure but do you not see even a little bit why someone would not take an employee at face value? If people only listened to the people who were allowed to speak by their employer about their employer we would never see any criticism of employers. I want to make it clear I'm not saying that poster is lying but I think it's fair to assume there is implicit bias.

Would you talk negatively about your employer? Probably not. I wouldn't.

But you have to have some evidence to dispute him, not just a hot take. And look at the way he is tweeting...read between the lines, especially his first tweet. Why would the person tweet multiple times, and backup what is the logical answer (40 people leaving a company of DICE's size is basic turnover)? And we already know as a fact that both EA and DICE are some of the best places to work for.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Given the amount DICE has achieved technically, and how little space they have to work on different types of projects, it's shocking they don't have more churn.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Im surprised there weren't mass firings after Battlefront 2's failure rather than people choosing to leave

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
EA just seems so mismanaged nowadays.

They know how to milk their sports franchises. Otherwise wtf are they doing?

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I feel battlefield v is the next dice bomba. I don't think the game will review well

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Söderlund cashed out and clearly thing are going great.
EA just seems so mismanaged nowadays.

They know how to milk their sports franchises. Otherwise wtf are they doing?
I feel battlefield v is the next dice bomba. I don't think the game will review well
Oh ResetEra...

Like, the adults in the thread can agree that this looks to be pretty normal (if low) churn, right?

I look forward to the inevitable Jim Sterling video where he goes to lengths to ignore the fact that people that leave their jobs to do similar things at different companies for higher pay are business as usual.

Chalfonts

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
To be fair, if you work for EA you're on borrowed time anyway

The smart ones will jump before they're pushed

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know if given the choice and the options were close enough in pay + benefits I'd rather work for avalanche or paradox than making battlefield/battlefront every year for the rest of my life.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
I know if given the choice and the options were close enough in pay + benefits I'd rather work for avalanche or paradox than making battlefield/battlefront every year for the rest of my life.

Complaining about Battlefiel/Battlefront and ignoring Mirrors Edge (estemated sale 1.7-2 million)...

Back to Battlefield/Battlefront they improve their technology alot with every release, few games looks as great (some SP at 30 Hz competes), none sound better. New Battlefield will be one of the first using RTX... Having worked with new tech makes you attractive in the workplace...