• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Trojita

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with being a sub.
Uqw7HKd.gif

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
They've been sold for so long, it's surprising. Wonder why now?

With the rise of video walkthroughs, I find myself visiting Gamefaqs much less frequently these past few years than I used to.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everything is staying the same, so it doesn't matter.

Years ago gamespot 'forced' them to add the Gamespot logo to the site, a few years later it was removed.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't Gamespot be the subdomain, seeing as how a spot is very small by nature?

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
There was an official explanation when they announced it. Had something to do with making the site more desirable to ad companies.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have two GameFAQs tabs open and I didn't even notice lol. Wonder why they did this now.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How many people still regularly use the forums on that website? It must be pretty low.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a member on there for a while, but it's been a long time since my last log in and I hardly visit the site anymore.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Hasn't GS owned them for maybe 6+ years?

On another note, does anyone even use that site anymore? I can't think of one thing I might find on gamefaqs that I can't find on the relevant sub-reddit or youtube walkthrough.

Hasn't gamefaqs become archaic at this point?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
gamefaqs has been very useless to me recently. i looked up some stuff about newer games and there was jack shit there. i had to resort to looking up youtube videos of what i wanted (i normally don't do that because i despise how most youtubers speak)

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On another note, does anyone even use that site anymore? I can't think of one thing I might find on gamefaqs that I can't find on the relevant sub-reddit or youtube walkthrough.

I still use it for the guides. Simple, straightforward, strictly text. I don't need to click to get to different sections. And I can print it out if I ever needed to..

OP
OP
Trojita

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
gamefaqs has been very useless to me recently. i looked up some stuff about newer games and there was jack shit there. i had to resort to looking up youtube videos of what i wanted (i normally don't do that because i despise how most youtubers speak)
Games that were how new? There was always jack shit there on new games until people put in hardwork to get the guides done or the message boards tried to figure out everything.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

It's great for asking questions and getting actual answers for games. Whenever I have a problem with a game I look up GameFAQS and somebody already asked the same question.

Oct 25, 2017

I find using a text/image guide infinitely better than a video where you have to scrub through to find what you're looking for, on top of the fact that there could be a person commentating obnoxiously over it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Didn't even go out with a bang

I still use gamefaqs quite often and while I know gamespot has owned them for awhile.
It was nice that for the longest it had it's own domain.

Oct 25, 2017

If you're looking up info on older games such as, say, Glory of Heracles III, there probably isn't a sub-reddit or video walkthrough you can turn to.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
On another note, does anyone even use that site anymore?

I use it frequently but not for its intended purpose: as a collector, its release database is incredibly vast and easy to identify different regional and system releases, even for ancient things. And not just retro stuff, even for modern games, it helps me figure out which indie titles got a physical release or not.

About a decade, I was a contributor to the site and even after that I stopped doing that I still frequented it a lot for the Pokemon boards for battles and trades when it was all friend code based. These days? Glorified search engine.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that site back during the PS2 times. I'll never get over the fact that GTA SA for PS2 was in the top most popular in the main page for many years. Great game with a great bunch of guides and cheat lists.

YouTube and Wikias took its place some years later for me.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
6945118-sad-puppy-face.jpg

I just published my complete speedrun walkthrough on GameFAQs for a very niche game. I hoped my efforts don't go to waste.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I used to post there a lot until they merged with the Gamespot forums somewhere around maybe 2003 or 2004. They were already bad, and they got instantly worse overnight.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I liked the trivia FAQs, that was the only reason I visited the site.

Now that I think about it, the last time I went there was for Silent Hill Homecoming Trivia.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Before the buyout, that site was actually pretty good (LUE aside).
But after the buyout, it was a complete mess. And the ads make the site impossible to read.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I occasionally look at their individual game message boards to look up questions I might have or to see stuff like missables since even though it takes a bunch of time before a useful faq will pop up, they'll often have a stickied post in a game's message board that talks about broader stuff. It also helps for games that don't explain stats or systems well in game