• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
this is all outdated, read the threadmarks ya dinguses

TLDR at the bottom. I'll answer questions in this thread as I have time.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for by making this thread, but I've been talking about it nonstop for the last couple days and it's made me feel better. I guess venting helps.

Two years ago, I thought I met the love of my life. We instantly clicked on every level imaginable. We both said we never met anyone like this before. We did everything together. Instant best friends. We both blurted out "I love you" maybe a month into it. Met each other's parents like a week after that. She proposed six months into it. I proposed back after giving her my grandma's ring.

We had a few communication issues but we never once had serious talks about ending it or anything, and I felt like we genuinely made improvements. Arguments were sparse and about trivial stuff that we figured out immediately.

Thursday night, she casually mentioned to me that her best friend (another girl) and her boyfriend approached her about having a threesome with them. She told me she eventually said no but only because they "didn't know how I'd react." Apparently they talked about it at length but decided not to. Not once did she ever bring up polygamy or partner sharing in the two years prior. She never talked about other people before this.

I then told her that I absolutely couldn't handle her being with another person, and that I felt it was fine for her to be attracted to other people physically, but to act on and even talk about it at length with others hurt me. I told her I still trusted her and that we could work this out. I told her I thought we should go to couple's therapy and while I absolutely wanted to repair us and get married in the future and I was committed to her, we should consider postponing the wedding a month or two until we knew we were on more solid footing. I never once used the word cancel or anything like that.

Soon as I told her that, she broke down, asked if I still loved her (ofc I do) and said she needed to drive home two hours and spend time with her folks to think about things. I didn't hear back from her for hours.

Fast forward to Saturday, when she told me she was coming to talk with me for a little bit but wouldn't stay. I figured it was over then but I held out hope. I was going to make her favorite dinner and play our favorite record; I still have a 2x6 banner I printed out with photos of us that said "Welcome Home" that's waiting for me at Walgreens.

She ended up knocking on my door with her mom and sister in tow, who straight up took turns yelling at me and blaming me for her ending it. She didn't show an ounce of emotion; at first, she handed me a letter saying it was over, but I couldn't bring myself to read it. After a couple hours of this, she packed up with her family right in front of me, cracking jokes and shit the whole time.

She said she still wanted to be friends and that she considered this a break, but she refused to set any kind of ground rules or timeline. She broke my heart when she said she'd be open to dating other people, even though I told her I couldn't do that. She wouldn't do long distance while we figured things out, she wouldn't commit to making it work or anything. Just "if it works out, it works out" kind of stuff. She wouldn't wear her ring. She dropped out of the college I worked at and moved back home two hours away just like that. She demanded I talk to a psychologist and work out my own issues (which I def have anxiety, but I've never felt it's major. Still talking to someone today about it though), and she wouldn't do the same for herself, even though she obviously needed help as well.

Three days later and I still don't have closure. She texted me last night and asked me to mail her spare car key, and she said she might follow up with me in the next few days to see if I feel like talking. I don't know what I want to do. I just want closure. I don't know if this if is fixable anymore or if I even want it to be. It would take months if not years to get anywhere close to where we were.

I'm still in shock. We never once had what I considered a serious argument, though I guess she saw it differently. She was upset I didn't make time for her family and friends (her parents are hardcore Trump supporters and our personalities clashed), but we were always cordial; I planned a camping trip for us in a couple weeks while setting up a weekly game night with her friends. This seemed to be a sticking point for her. I don't know.

I can't believe how sudden this was and how easy it was for her to end it. I'll never forget how cold and cruel she was the last time I saw her. How she felt like a stranger.

Anyway, oof. This is already an essay and I'm trying to move on. I've talked about this nonstop with friends and family since Saturday and I guess it's helping. There are a lot more details I didn't really mention like the fact that she's still super young (20 while I'm 25). I guess we wanted different things. Just two weeks ago, we bought our wedding bands together.

TLDR: Was getting married in 80 days, fiancee casually expresses interest in a threesome with her best friend and her bf, I express how that's an issue for me, she throws away the relationship immediately and even brings her mom and sister along to trash me and break up by committee. Gym will be hit, photos are already taken down, etc. She left it open-ended but refused to commit to anything, basically leaving it up to fate. I need closure.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Better it happens now than later without your permission
Dont take her back unless you're willing to have an open marriage

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry. That really sucks. However, and I hope this doesn't sound too cavalier, but it's probably a lot better for it to end now than later.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
That kinda person isn't worth the rest of your life. You'll find someone better and more deserving of you. I know it's hard but you'll pull through this and know time is on your side.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oof is right, geezus.

If what you are saying is true, it's not your fault for her actions. Her not giving you any resolve sounds petty.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would've said work on it from the topic title but chatting about threesome's.......nah mate you're better off.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that your grief and pain is very real right now, but a few years down the road you'll realize how much you grew from this and are better off for dodging that bullet - imagine if that all went down 80 days AFTER you were married! You were both young and moved a little too fast, but it happens.

Also, get that ring back!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That sucks and I'm sorry but you absolutely dodged a bullet here. I hope you meet someone who actually respects you. Good luck~

Dead King

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2019
80 days is a really good game, now on a serious note, I'm sorry about that but it's way better that it happened now then in the future after you got married, you really dodged a bullet there

OP
OP
fracas

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry. That really sucks. However, and I hope this doesn't sound too cavalier, but it's probably a lot better for it to end now than later.
Nah, you're absolutely right. As messy as it was, it would have been SO much worse if we tied the knot. It just hurts how easily she ended it.

We even picked out kids' names. Decided where we wanted to end up living. Talked about our dream house.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like she dropped that threesome stuff because she knew exactly how you would react and use that as reason to break up with you. This is to sudden, she planed this in some way.

Feel the pain, cry, be with loved ones and move on when you're ready.

/hugs.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
When I hear people casually bring up things like that, I always wonder if they've already done it before asking for the approval.

But if she was willing to break it off just for that, then you are better off.

It will be hard until you get that closure. Do what you have to to remain sane.

Oct 27, 2017
really nothing about what you described makes sense. going from "Girlfriend casually mentioned a threesome" > "I said it wasn't something I could do" > "Girlfriend freaked and broke up with me" seems like we're missing information or you're missing information. Either way, it's better it happened than not because this wasn't going to work in the long run.

OP
OP
fracas

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Oof is right, geezus.

If what you are saying is true, it's not your fault for her actions. Her not giving you any resolve sounds petty.
I know I can't fully represent her side here, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible.

I feel when she brought up a threesome, she was subtly trying to fish and see if I was OK with it. Then by refusing to commit during a break, I felt like she was just trying to see if she could find someone better while I was still on the hook as a backup plan.

really nothing about what you described makes sense. going from "Girlfriend casually mentioned a threesome" > "I said it wasn't something I could do" > "Girlfriend freaked and broke up with me" seems like we're missing information or you're missing information. Either way, it's better it happened than not because this wasn't going to work in the long run.

I'm guessing there's something she isn't telling me because it doesn't make sense to me either. There was no inkling of either of us having doubts before this. It was absolutely sudden and unexpected for me.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly I'd count your blessings. If the fact that you wouldn't be happy with her sleeping with other people is a dealbreaker for her then you're better off without.

Let's be honest, it takes two people to leave things open-ended, it's not just down to one party. If you're not happy with that just send her key back and tell her not to keep in touch as you have no interest in maintaining any kind of relationship.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
She isn't mature enough yet for marriage OP, so the both of you are better off.

You're still young and you ostensibly don't have kids so once you're ready put yourself back out there and move on with your life.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Might be hard to hear right now, OP, but this is the best possible outcome.

You'll be okay... A stronger person for it in the end.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
giphy.gif

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Sorry OP but it seems you really dodged a bullet before it got really bad. The best thing to do is reevaluate yourself and move on since it seems like you two were not on the same page.

friskybobcat

The Fallen
Nov 28, 2017
OP. I know that if and when you look back on this thread, you will take a long sigh and ask yourself why it was even a question that you considered trying to make this work.

You are making the right choice by moving on bro.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
She ended up knocking on my door with her mom and sister in tow, who straight up took turns yelling at me and blaming me for her ending it. She didn't show an ounce of emotion; at first, she handed me a letter saying it was over, but I couldn't bring myself to read it. After a couple hours of this, she packed up with her family right in front of me, cracking jokes and shit the whole time.

She said she still wanted to be friends and that she considered this a break, but she refused to set any kind of ground rules or timeline. She broke my heart when she said she'd be open to dating other people, even though I told her I couldn't do that. She wouldn't do long distance while we figured things out, she wouldn't commit to making it work or anything. Just "if it works out, it works out" kind of stuff. She wouldn't wear her ring. She dropped out of the college I worked at and moved back home two hours away just like that. She demanded I talk to a psychologist and work out my own issues (which I def have anxiety, but I've never felt it's major. Still talking to someone today about it though), and she wouldn't do the same for herself, even though she obviously needed help as well.

You are not on a break. This relationship is over.

From what it sounds like, you both moved INCREDIBLY fast for a relationship. It's great that you had such a twilight period but it really sounds like you didn't learn what your boundaries were until it was way too late.

It's too bad, but ultimately, this breakup will be better for you in the long run.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dodged a bullet. The relationship is over, don't bother trying to stay friends, that will only hurt you even more in the future considering what you said.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Fickle. My last relationship ended similarly. We were in love until she woke up one day and decided she wasn't. Of course, that's embellishing it, but it blindsided me in the same way that you have been. She's mulled it over for a while, but wasn't willing to talk to you about it, and then made a decision without trying to remedy anything. I know it sucks, but these kinds of people are not worth it. It's not worth spending your whole life wondering if you'd done something wrong without knowing it and whether or not that ticking time bomb has stuck 0.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you did nothing wrong. you will find someone better. there is absolutely nothing to be salvaged here.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
I was in a similar situation 8years ago though no marriage in sight at that point. Returning with her and accepting an open thing when I did not really want to was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. We broke up 3 months after. and it broke me even to this day.
I would advise you to end everything wit her as soon as possible, don't cling to anything, not friendship, not any stuff she has.
If she never got open to you about this and don't even want to talk about it, you'll only suffer trying to fix something she does not seem to want fixed.
Also, Trump supporting parents who yell at you ? F' em.