• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Having not played any previous EO, are there missions or a story beyond the exploration and animal discovery aspect?
From what I remember from the originals, there is a story, but it's not that deep, more of a way to encourage you to explore. There were missions to move the story along, usually a fetch quest of sorts, to find a particular creature/location/treasure/take a photo..which once found, would let you travel to the next diving location( you could travel back and forth between locations if there are fish/treasure you missed). There's a minor overarching story that leads you to finding some mysterious creature or ruin at the end. All we know about the story mode in this new game, so far, is that you've got to "Save the World Coral".

The game is a big collect-a-thon really, where you'll likely want to search and find every treasure/fish/creature.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm crying, it looks so good. An EO sequel has been a dream game of mine for a long time and honestly I figured Nintendo was just going to mothball the franchise forever. I love everything about this.
Never played these games, but I love seeing people get longshot sequels. Happy for you!

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
2 months later, and they only talk about the Veiled Sea, and how dives change every time. I see there's a Story mode, which I assume doesn't change on every dive, but can I solo dive in other areas (that are part of the Story)?

I know no one has an answer, but after 3 videos now you'd think they'd mention it (along with the aquarium)

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
From what I remember from the originals, there is a story, but it's not that deep, more of a way to encourage you to explore. There were missions to move the story along, usually a fetch quest of sorts, to find a particular creature/location/treasure/take a photo..which once found, would let you travel to the next diving location( you could travel back and forth between locations if there are fish/treasure you missed). There's a minor overarching story that leads you to finding some mysterious creature or ruin at the end. All we know about the story mode in this new game, so far, is that you've got to "Save the World Coral".

The game is a big collect-a-thon really, where you'll likely want to search and find every treasure/fish/creature.

Been a bit, but I recall EO1 having very little to light story and was more just swim around and log fish. EO2 had a good bit more story to get through, missions like taking specific pics for magazines, some equipment upgrades or management, multiple maps, and a home base / boat situation. I see some folks being disappointed they think some of those aspects are gone, but I wouldn't be so sure until we get our hands on it. Looking at the few times they flash menus on the screen in the new overview video you see options there they didn't really touch on. Also to the other posters question about missions, they do talk about having them in this game, including ones that kinda randomly pop up mid dive to give you a goal (go investigate this area kinda stuff).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
2 months later, and they only talk about the Veiled Sea, and how dives change every time. I see there's a Story mode, which I assume doesn't change on every dive, but can I solo dive in other areas (that are part of the Story)?

I know no one has an answer, but after 3 videos now you'd think they'd mention it (along with the aquarium)
I just had to get to the website to actually see if there was actually a storymode confirmed.
Like, them hiding it so much and talking about the veiled sea ALL the time, something i dont give 2 fucks about is seriously concerning.

I wouldnt be surprised if story mode just used the veiled sea in exactly the same way as multiplayer mode, just with a bland story. Like, the cool part of the original story mode was not the story itself, it was discovering different places when you got better gear, which made you find more fish and treasure and take cooler photos for the magazine, the sense of progression, the new areas and the music attached to them.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The impression I'm getting is it's mostly a pretty place to go exist with your friends. I'm not getting the impression there's actually much of anything to do. "Use currency you receive on each dive to unlock new social gestures" was one of the few Things To Do actually described in the trailer. As someone who was sad to have missed out on EO and excited to see this get announced, this seems like it's putting too much emphasis on emergent social experience.

Please prove me wrong, Luminous.