• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this wont really matter in the long run. If they can truly get the Stadia app on most smart devices and support any controller, there wont be any barrier to entry 5, 6, 7 years down the line when the service could look a little more legit, its not like they put out a bomba console and have to try to move on from it. Obviously it sucks for the people that are invested in Stadia (why?!?) but that's the risk you take

Doubt it will be anything other than a modest success though, but hopefully they can set themselves up as a decent competitor in the long term

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
"This is great," Doronichev continued. "This is what this all about, right? It's not just about some marginal improvements, it's not about a specific feature. It's about a big, bold statement of where we are going. We're going there very, very confidently. So judging by the velocity so far, if anything, I'm more confident in our ability to deliver and over-deliver."

well, there you have it...

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this wont really matter in the long run. If they can truly get the Stadia app on most smart devices and support any controller, there wont be any barrier to entry 5, 6, 7 years down the line when the service could look a little more legit, its not like they put out a bomba console and have to try to move on from it. Obviously it sucks for the people that are invested in Stadia (why?!?) but that's the risk you take

Doubt it will be anything other than a modest success though, but hopefully they can set themselves up as a decent competitor in the long term

Probably should worry about the service lasting past this year before throwing out hypotheticals 5+ years down the line.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was positive toward Stadia before launch but I knew not to get my hopes up. If you bought a statia, the signs were there.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'd say it's less funny watching this industrial trainwreck than following Fallout 76.
Hopefully both deliver or not, I'll get entertained either way.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is Google is being Google and not a video game console developer. Cold, distant, assured of their success and screaming it with their ads with the one guy while trying to wipe away the responsibility in actually being more than just a platform.

I remember one video talking about Google's obsession with having the next "IT" feature that plagues all their failed launches. It can't just be 1080p, it has to be pushing the bounds of 4k even if it can't actually do that yet. It can't just have minimal latency, it has to have magical bullshit "negative latency", whatever that means. And all that does is make it more and more likely that they'll drop balls somewhere.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, how have they "grown [Stadia] significantly since launch"?

I really don't like their attitude about it being about 'bold statements' and 'where we're going' in the future. The fact is they're selling a product now this is viewed as being a disappointment instead of a hit. I'm hoping their next event or if they show at E3 will help course-correct, because I would love for it to succeed.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Probably should worry about the service lasting past this year before throwing out hypotheticals 5+ years down the line.

I dont see why it wouldnt last awhile tbh, it's not like they cant easily get new users once they have no barrier to entry. I doubt its costing them much to run the service

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's a ... harsh article.

Today is the final day of the three-month free trial provided to Stadia players via the $130 Founder's Edition. From now on, players will have to pay $10 a month to access Stadia Pro, or stick with the free version, which doesn't support 4K or include access to free games. Then again, the Pro tier barely does either.

Shots fired!

Yes I understand both of them are quite upset.

Ouch.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because on a technical level it's worked dramatically better than the competition for me.

but where the hell are the games? Where is the communication? How they ended up half arsing this without a significant first or second party lineup is beyond me. They nailed the hard part and the easy part is a disaster. They really needed to at least come at this with an EGS level of money ready to fund ports and exclusives.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Well I enjoy the tech.. the lack of input lag for me is amazing.. they just added 20 phones today including mine. It will be a good compliment to my XSX.

I understand its fun to shit on something most people here have never tried and Google has earned most of this but holy shit as someone who has used it and enjoyed it and received 8 free games since launch I think many you here are just piling on. But whatever... Us who use the service will head back to the OT. This thread went about as well as expected.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the community will migrate over to the nvidia community. Google stadia just cant work with data caps and other issues which nvidia seemed to not have.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I enjoy the tech.. the lack of input lag for me is amazing.. they just added 20 phones today including mine. It will be a good compliment to my XSX.

I understand its fun to shit on something most people here have never tried and Google has earned most of this but holy shit as someone who has used it and enjoyed it and received 8 free games since launch I think many you here are just piling on. But whatever... Us who use the service will head back to the OT. This thread went about as well as expected.
It's shit on because it's a bad service. I've had tons of issues with destiny on it and even better load times couldn't convince me to play on it long term. Not to mention it's not worth subscribing with what they offer

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I regularly forget that Stadia exists. It took, what, 3 months after it launched for it to get more titles? And these aren't even rentable, you purchase these to play off a server. It boggles my mind. I don't see this making it to the end of the year.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"It's about a big, bold statement of where we are going."
If you are talking to investors, maybe. Otherwise, no, never ever.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what the players are gonna say when next gen's promised 4k won't be available for all games... as it were for One X and PS4 pro... as ps4/One games are not all the promised 1080p 60 fps, as the gen before that didn't remove loading time, etc... day -1 promises were never things that caused problem for platforms, other things did that, like lack of communication and unability to find an audience, for which stadia's real test is going to be the release of free tier i guess

Neither Sony or Microsoft has ever promised any of those things.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a founder but I think cross-progression would make Stadia a much more enticing service. At the moment I would have to commit to playing Stadia games at home where it's the worst way to experience those games, just for the sake of having those games be mobile (well, eventually since still no iOS support). If cross progression was more pervasive then I could use Stadia when remote and get the better local experience when home.

But maybe I'm better off just waiting for XCloud for that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a founder but I think cross-progression would make Stadia a much more enticing service. At the moment I would have to commit to playing Stadia games at home where it's the worst way to experience those games, just for the sake of having those games be mobile (well, eventually since still no iOS support). If cross progression was more pervasive then I could use Stadia when remote and get the better local experience when home.

But maybe I'm better off just waiting for XCloud for that.
The odd thing in reading this is how hard Google tried to push Stadia as a replacement for home consoles in their godawful TV and YouTube ads.

Ephemeris

Oct 25, 2017
I use it mainly for Destiny 2 stuff and it's been solid for me.

Of course I jump over on PS4/PC when my friends are on but it's been pretty good. Most of the time I'm playing on PC with a PS4 controller. Honestly, it needs some sort of cross-play and with GeForce Now being pretty good [and gives me access to my friends on Steam] I might just shift platforms.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I use it mainly for Destiny 2 stuff and it's been solid for me.

Of course I jump over on PS4/PC when my friends are on but it's been pretty good. Most of the time I'm playing on PC with a PS4 controller. Honestly, it needs some sort of cross-play and with GeForce Now being pretty good [and gives me access to my friends on Steam] I might just shift platforms.

I'm the same. If I'm playing Destiny 2 by myself I always choose the Stadia version. It has been great. If cross-play were available I would never touch the other versions.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The odd thing in reading this is how hard Google tried to push Stadia as a replacement for home consoles in their godawful TV and YouTube ads.

It's all about trade offs. Stadia has latency introduced to games, that can't go away. I'd be willing to deal with that if there's enough positives that it offsets that negative. Maybe I get to play the game at an incredible IQ with insane graphic settings that my local hardware can't reach. Or I gain the ability to play that game anywhere on any device. No load times.

But as it stands now, Stadia doesn't offer enough to me to offset the negatives. It looks worse than local hardware, even current gen consoles. It lacks features. Multiplayer games have nearly no players. It doesn't run on any of my mobile devices since I use Apple, so the entire portable selling point is moot for me.

For upsides, the load times are great and super fast, and I can play on my laptop if I'm willing to hardwire a controller and have wifi.

Maybe in the future the conclusion looks different, but for me it's a worse experience than running locally. 80% of my gaming time is done at home, and it's not worth having that 80% be worse for the sake of improving the 20%. If there was cross-progression and Stadia wasn't asking for me to have a worse experience on that 80%, then I'd happily use it more.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember people being salty when the consensus was concerned about whether google would actually support the machine beyond simply expecting Day 1 numbers to smash. These people were called trolls, dumbasses, unable to see the vision behind the product, etc.

Wonder how these stans feel now.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Yes I understand both of them are quite upset.

Seriously tho, why am I seeing more ads for Apple Arcade than Stadia? Stadia wants to be a thing, it needs to get the word out to people who do not give a shit about input lag or data caps. And frankly, the "core gamer" isn't that audience.
It doesn't make sense for them to do a big ad rollout before the free launch.