• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Rogers and I don't have a data cap.

Alright, good to know. I've been on Frontier before in the U.S., and they don't have data caps. I thought that Canada was like the U.S., just from visiting and talking to Canadians, in terms of some companies not having caps and many of them having caps or other service issues related to data.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It'll take off once the free version launches!

... is what I imagine Google are telling themselves.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why the fix. Isn't Rogers as bad as any of the data companies in the U.S.? Are Shaw or other companies doing things with data that I don't know about?

Genuine question here. I also don't know the situation for hi-speed internet in Mexico at all.

Canada has had unlimited home internet for years. It's only the price of our internet that sucks.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It'll take off once the free version launches!

... is what I imagine Google are telling themselves.

To be fair, it's probably naive to think that the people who work at Google on Stadia aren't also really frustrated with the support its getting.

Reminds me of the OG XBOX division of Microsoft having to fight for their own legitimacy within their corporation.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It was meant sarcastically. Very real and obvious concerns and red flags were dismissed as pessimism by defenders before launch.
It's not like it was easy to cut to any real points that could be taken seriously with the rest of the FUD flying around it. FUD that still flies around it, no less.

Most of us aren't delusional. It's not in an ideal state and we know it. We were also ready to give it a chance for something new and it is. I still think it's a fantastic system but being stagnant like it has been for 3 months since launch isn't helping anymore than the "I told you so!" comments we see all the time.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So to, for example, play Steamworld Dig on Stadia I need to...

1) Buy the game at full price or occasionally at a discounted price during sales. Or I guess get it "free" when its offered if I'm paying the Pro subscription.

2) Have online access the entire time I'm playing

3) Have a good enough internet connection that the game plays kinda mostly how its supposed to with some occasionally latency-induced lag.

4) Ensure that the GBs and GBs of bandwidth I use streaming the game doesn't make me go over my data cap.

5) Have a good enough computer to properly play the compressed, encoded video stream in real-time.

6) Hope that the service remains so that I don't eventually lose access to the game entirely.

On the other hand, to play Steamworld Dig literally anywhere else, I need to

1) Buy the game at full price or occasionally at a discounted price during sales

2) Download something like 300MB of data exactly once.

3) ...that's it. There is no step 3. This game can run on a toaster.

Someone tell me precisely what the value proposition is for this service outside of the highest of high-end games that are just simply unplayable on all but the most cutting-edge of gaming hardware? The number of which I can count on one hand by the way.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cue the black screen....
President of Google: Phil, what's going on? You said we'd have a hit!
Phil Harrison: rest assured president, things WILL turn around. You have my word.
*conversation ends*
*codec rings*
President of Sony: yeah?
Phil Harrison: job is about 90% complete your honor.
President Sony man: your servitude will be greatly rewarded....

Snaaaaaaaaaaake!

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Doee the free version start now or are founders only able to keep playing if they keep paying for a pro sub? I don't think the free version exists yet

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I used to think it was a little embarrassing comparing Stadia to being a failure like the Wii U before it launched.
But now, I seriously can't believe I embarrassed the Wii U like that. The Wii U had some excellent games (that are now on Switch).

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
GeForce Now and xCloud look cool. When I first heard about Stadia, I'd have been surprised if it worked out.
Both of those are also supplementary to something else, if GeForce now wasn't able to work with your Steam library they would be just as screwed trying to get publishers onto a new platform and by extension users.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Google launching Stadia

funny-gif-rocket-launch-fail.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The Stadia Subreddit is an absolutely brutal exercise in buyer's remorse and denial. People getting angry at other people who are cancelling their subs, and people trying to pretend like the Steamworld Dig games are "huge gets" for the platform LMAO

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Even on this forum the Stadia thread is massive. I was really surprised at how healthy discussion was at first. Google had a chance but totally squandered it.
A lot of people did buy the founders edition to atleast give it a shot, their silence since then has been crazy and blanket statements like "120 games through out the year" with no examples when other platforms like Steam and Switch get that amount of games in weeks some times. Their pro games have been underwhelming and their release schedule laughable. At least announce some things for people to actually get excited for.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doee the free version start now or are founders only able to keep playing if they keep paying for a pro sub? I don't think the free version exists yet

You've always been able to keep playing any purchased games if you cancelled your sub. You just lose the Pro games if you're not subscribing (PS+ style). Anything you've bought is there to play with no recurring subscription (capped at 1080p/60 video quality).

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The Stadia Subreddit is an absolutely brutal exercise in buyer's remorse and denial. People getting angry at other people who are cancelling their subs, and people trying to pretend like the Steamworld Dig games are "huge gets" for the platform LMAO
Absolutely. Anyone who's critical of Stadia gets downvoted or called a troll. It's insane.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

1) Buy the game at full price or occasionally at a discounted price during sales. Or I guess get it "free" when its offered if I'm paying the Pro subscription.

3) Have a good enough internet connection that the game plays kinda mostly how its supposed to with some occasionally latency-induced lag.

4) Ensure that the GBs and GBs of bandwidth I use streaming the game doesn't make me go over my data cap.

5) Have a good enough computer to properly play the compressed, encoded video stream in real-time.

6) Hope that the service remains so that I don't eventually lose access to the game entirely.

1) Buy the game at full price or occasionally at a discounted price during sales

Someone tell me precisely what the value proposition is for this service outside of the highest of high-end games that are just simply unplayable on all but the most cutting-edge of gaming hardware? The number of which I can count on one hand by the way.

Agreed. The Steamworld games are generally pretty excellent, but ... yeah, they're tiny downloads that have no performance issues on nearly every platform and they can be owned for a very reasonable price.

They're bad candidates for a streaming-only service.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"Today is the final day of the three-month free trial provided to Stadia players via the $130 Founder's Edition. From now on, players will have to pay $10 a month to access Stadia Pro, or stick with the free version, which doesn't support 4K or include access to free games. Then again, the Pro tier barely does either. "

Dear god this article :D

Also, the part about asterisks and footnotes. It's incredible once you notice it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
You've always been able to keep playing any purchased games if you cancelled your sub. You just lose the Pro games if you're not subscribing (PS+ style). Anything you've bought is there to play with no recurring subscription (capped at 1080p/60 video quality).
Right but that's the free version, I was confused since they haven't officially announced it yet but that's what non-pro stadia users will be now. I'd love to give it a shot honestly but you can't do anything without the founder edition.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Right but that's the free version, I was confused since they haven't officially announced it yet but that's what non-pro stadia users will be now. I'd love to give it a shot honestly but you can't do anything without the founder edition.

Oh yeah, you're right on that. It's still not available to use for the wider public. It's only for ex Founders so far or people that've bought into the ÂŁ120 Premium edition still.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Oh yeah, you're right on that. It's still not available to use for the wider public. It's only for ex Founders so far or people that've bought into the ÂŁ120 Premium edition still.
I find it very strange, if people are being grandparented into it now why aren't they opening registrations at least for people to grab a username if they want to or just set it up for when they do launch it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I find it very strange, if people are being grandparented into it now why aren't they opening registrations at least for people to grab a username if they want to or just set it up for when they do launch it.

I guess, despite them talking about it being 'launched' and stuff, it still very much feels like it's in closed beta. There are so many promised features missing, I imagine they don't want to open it up for just anyone to register until it's in a more suitable state.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's an original excuse. It's not about how terrible it is right out of the gate, it's about that end goal lol.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They should make all tiers of the service completely free and give free games every month to own and play for the life of the service to entice new customers.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I had hoped Stadia would turn out to be decent prior to launch, but today? GeForce Now is 100% eating their lunch. I cannot fathom why someone would want to choose Stadia over using GeForce Now besides a) the game(s) of your liking will definitively never be available on GeForce Now and/or b) the GeForce Now app isn't available on your device/screen of choice. It's a better, cheaper service in almost every way imaginable to me, except maybe for not offering content in 4K, which Google isn't doing great on either apparently.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Everyone wants this to fail so bad but I think the Stadia has some serious potential. Even at this state it has the best quality streaming of the bunch by far. All my games are in HDR, some are even in 4k @ 60fps. At it's best it looks and plays gloriously and I know it's going to get much better as time goes on. Google definitely botched their launch though with misleading information and a bare-bones service. They have a long way to go to win over gamers. We all know that. But that doesn't make it bad. My experience gaming on it so far (using the chromecast from the founder's edition) has been 95% perfection. I rarely ever have issues, and not having to worry about updates or installs is a huge plus for me. I absolute loathe booting up a game only to sit and watch a monster patch download and install before I can even play. So yeah, that is a big one for me. Will Chromcast replace my other gaming services and devices? Not a chance, but it sure is a nice option to have. I own a good pile of games at this point, all of which were either free or at a very good discount. They all work and play great and in the end that is the meat and potatoes of what i expected from this thing. Not sure what everyone was expecting from this launch but I've come to expect at this point in my life that with the launch of a new gaming device/service it almost always takes some time to gain it's stride to reach it's potential. I don't want this to fail. But I do hope Google pays attention to the things people are complaining about and adjusts accordingly. It's a very competitive landscape out there so they need to step up their game to survive.

Last edited:

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I had hoped Stadia would turn out to be decent prior to launch, but today? GeForce Now is 100% eating their lunch. I cannot fathom why someone would want to choose Stadia over using GeForce Now besides a) the game(s) of your liking will definitively never be available on GeForce Now and/or b) the GeForce Now app isn't available on your device/screen of choice. It's a better, cheaper service in almost every way imaginable to me, except maybe for not offering content in 4K, which Google isn't doing great on either apparently.
I tried Geforce Now but quality was very bad. It's strange as it's the same connection I use Stadia on and still it kept changing the image up and down on resolution. Stadia on the other hand works so well I actually got a second CCU for the bedroom.
Also not loving the pc front of GFN it really feels like you're streaming from a computer, while Stadia feels... Different. Like something between console and Pc.
I'm OK with stadia as of now, I don't find it expensive and the pro games offerings have been OK. I just wish they could add more games a lot more often.
They need to build up the library ASAP and also add crossplay.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

Not to defend Stadia or anything, I cancelled my Pro sub, but there def is some benefit of it. See if you do the same list for something like RDR2, Destiny 2, or any other AAA game, you have a slightly different list. Let's use Destiny 2 as an example:

Stadia:
  1. Buy game / get for free via pro if offered
  2. Have online access (Destiny requires this anyways)
  3. Have a good enough internet connection to stream and not hit data cap
  4. Your device specs don't matter as long as your device can run Chrome or the Stadia app in some capacity. Game will boot and will be playable regardless
  5. Hope the service remains/servers stay up
  6. No installation required, no need to update the game, no need to wait X amount of minutes/hours after you buy the game to start playing, no "Day 1 patches"
  7. No dedicated hardware required aside from the Stadia controller (which is optional for PC but required for Chromecast and Bluetooth)
  8. Switching games is instant
Anywhere else:
  1. Buy game
  2. Have online access (Destiny requires this anyways)
  3. Have good enough internet access to play online and not hit data cap
  4. Buy a console or PC to play the game on, your device specs matter
  5. Hope the service remains/servers stay up
  6. Sit through X-GB game install (or preload a game overnight, same thing, sit through X-GB Day 1 update, Whenever new updates are pushed, sit through X-GB of those
  7. Switching games may require updating/installing new games.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I tried Geforce Now but quality was very bad. It's strange as it's the same connection I use Stadia on and still it kept changing the image up and down on resolution. Stadia on the other hand works so well I actually got a second CCU for the bedroom.
Also not loving the pc front of GFN it really feels like you're streaming from a computer, while Stadia feels... Different. Like something between console and Pc.
I'm OK with stadia as of now, I don't find it expensive and the pro games offerings have been OK. I just wish they could add more games a lot more often.
They need to build up the library ASAP and also add crossplay.
Sadly, that depends on how close to the server you are, and that distance is more than a geographical one. For you, Stadia gives the best quality, for others is Geforce and for others, like me, all perform badly...

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I guess, despite them talking about it being 'launched' and stuff, it still very much feels like it's in closed beta. There are so many promised features missing, I imagine they don't want to open it up for just anyone to register until it's in a more suitable state.
It definitely feels that way and the way they are handling it isn't helping. They need a road map bad if people are going to take this serious