• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I tried Geforce Now but quality was very bad. It's strange as it's the same connection I use Stadia on and still it kept changing the image up and down on resolution. Stadia on the other hand works so well I actually got a second CCU for the bedroom.
Also not loving the pc front of GFN it really feels like you're streaming from a computer, while Stadia feels... Different. Like something between console and Pc.
I'm OK with stadia as of now, I don't find it expensive and the pro games offerings have been OK. I just wish they could add more games a lot more often.
They need to build up the library ASAP and also add crossplay.

In fairness, I have not had a chance to try Stadia yet; I'm waiting for it to become available on Chrome without needing to buy the Premiere bundle. Until then, I have no practical use-case for it, as anywhere I can plug in a Chromecast to play it I could just plug in the actual hardware to run the game locally or do Steam streaming. Playing AAA games on my lunch break at work, which I've been doing with GeForce Now, is pretty cool.

That said, I can't say I've really had any issues with GeForce Now's image quality on my end, which is actually surprising because I've been having intermittent network issues the past couple of months at home that are throttling down my speeds to the 30-40 Mbps range. I get occasional lag or hiccups, but it's usually only a couple times an hour, and I can't rule out it just my network being kinda shit at the moment.

I get the PC stuff, but it doesn't bother me too much; though I would say I'm a "PC guy" so that's probably not too surprising. My complaint there is I just wish it was more consistent: sometimes games launch pretty seamlessly, sometimes they need to update, sometimes a literal Steam instance opens up and I have to wait for the game to "download", though it does that in only a couple minutes even if the game is hundreds of gigs in size.

My biggest complaint about Stadia, especially now comparing these two options, is that Stadia games are exactly that: Stadia games. I can play it on Stadia, or I can't play it. GeForce Now is just an additional option added on to the many ways I access my one copy of my Steam game. I can download it locally and play it on my gaming PC, I can stream it via Steam Remote Play from said gaming PC to my TV or phone, and now when my wife needs to use desktop for work, I can stream the same game off of Nvidia's servers without my PC entirely.

I think there's absolutely a niche for Stadia. Folks who want that, as you said, console-like experience in a streaming service and folks who want the upmost graphical fidelity (unless Nvidia rolls out more tiers/options down the line) might find Stadia really works for them, and that's great! But I just don't know if being niche is going to be enough when the dust settles. We'll see, I still hope to try it out at some point and decide for myself.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Absolutely. Anyone who's critical of Stadia gets downvoted or called a troll. It's insane.
Conversely to here where we get called stans and defenders and delusional and all other manner of crap. Most of us on that subreddit know exactly what's happening and are dealing with it. We want to support it because we want it to succeed because it freaking works. There's no reason to go into a subreddit about a thing and shit on that thing and not expect backlash. Real discussions happen.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Conversely to here where we get called stans and defenders and delusional and all other manner of crap. Most of us on that subreddit know exactly what's happening and are dealing with it. We want to support it because we want it to succeed because it freaking works. There's no reason to go into a subreddit about a thing and shit on that thing and not expect backlash. Real discussions happen.
You can give criticism towards a product you've invested in. Just because someone says they're not satisfied or they're fairly critical of the service doesn't mean that they are shitting on it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
You can give criticism towards a product you've invested in. Just because someone says they're not satisfied or they're fairly critical of the service doesn't mean that they are shitting on it.
That's not what usually gets the downvotes. It's some random person coming in and being a jackass about it (like a lot of Stadia threads here, tbph). People were going nuts waiting for their packages to ship and get their activation codes back in November, but people were generally not downvoted unless they were acting like children.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
vuxll0pqkjn21.png

At least they were always upfront with how they planned for it to go.
First, holy shit how to put evil on yourself.

Second what is the thing after the dreamcast

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People can be a bit hostile, but that Subreddit has always rubbed me the wrong way with it literally being ran and moderated by Google employees. That sets a really weird tone for the entire thing. There's a very /r/hailcorporate feel to the some of the posts and they end up coming across like astroturfing and not actual users posting.

But usually once you get into threads for actual discussion people come across as pretty level-headed. They recognize there's issues with the platform, but also there's people where it's a great fit for their lifestyle and how they interact with gaming. It's a really weird subreddit imo.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Really disappointing. I was excited after the initial reveal, but the current product feels half-baked and requires too much of an up-front investment

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I still chuckle thinking about the unveil event when they revealed they had no exclusive games but showed game jam built concepts of what could be done, and still launched anyway?

Stadia needed to launch with a massively multiplayer game unlike anything possible on console-side online, and have it focus on the ability to see what your squad mates could see and integrate that in to gameplay. Instead it launched with an exclusive lite-horror indie game showing no innovation whatsoever.

Its hard to understand any of Googles thinking beyond blindly trying to beat other companies to be the first to launch, even though they had nothing lucrative to build any sort of momentum from. Phil Harrison has certainly achieved Don Mattrick levels of [DO NOT TRUST // AVOID] at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Today is the final day of the three-month free trial provided to Stadia players via the $130 Founder's Edition. From now on, players will have to pay $10 a month to access Stadia Pro, or stick with the free version, which doesn't support 4K or include access to free games. Then again, the Pro tier barely does either.
Saucey
yo that's absolutely brutal.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I'm a part of the Stadia community and Google haven't disappointed me.

The service runs great for me, I don't use it a whole lot and haven't actually bought anything off the Store but Destiny 2, Farming Sim and Gylt have all ran really well and I don't really have many complaints at all.

It's a new platform, with any new platform you have to be patient and wait for the features to be rounded out. The Xbox One didn't even have a battery indicator on the dash for a good 3-6 months.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's a new platform, with any new platform you have to be patient and wait for the features to be rounded out. The Xbox One didn't even have a battery indicator on the dash for a good 3-6 months.

A missing battery indicator on the Xbox One dashboard is a slight annoyance at worst.

The problems with Google Stadia are deep: Their entire sales model might not be viable, they've vastly overestimated their market, and their competitors in the game streaming arena seem to be eating their lunch.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The Steamworld Dig games are the new games on Stadia?
Like the game that came out on 3DS?

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Each time I read those titles I'm like "Oh yeah, Stadia exists'

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I only hoped Stadia would have PC games transition to Linux natively, but since that wasn't even in the cards (the Stadia games are stream only, not even offering a option to play the Linux version from Uplay or anything) I no longer care about Stadia.

Trying Geforce Now made me realize this streaming stuff is not so amazing. I'm too used to customization/mods (playing Path of Exile without loot filters is a sin), and 120+ frames per second. And I can't even find a 120 frames per second trailer of Gemini Man on the net.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, it hurted(good wording?) to see that even the mighty Google couldn't beat Facebook on that field. But from my point of view, they overthinked it.

Supervised user is where Google lost me as a fan.
Your wording is very close! Just "It hurt" would work in that sentence. As in, "Yeah, it hurt to see that..."

The word "hurt" is it's own past tense in English, so "hurted" isn't really used.

(I hope I don't come off as an ass here! I just wanted to respond to this since you asked about your word choice!)

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
A missing battery indicator on the Xbox One dashboard is a slight annoyance at worst.

The problems with Google Stadia are deep: Their entire sales model might not be viable, they've vastly overestimated their market, and their competitors in the game streaming arena seem to be eating their lunch.

There were other features missing when the Xbox One launched, was just using the battery indicator as an example.

I'm not sure about the sales model not being viable, I agree it would work better as a Netflix-style 'all-you-can-eat' model but I think it's too early to say whether its viable or not. I'm not really sure they've overestimated their market either, the Premiere/Founders editions sold lower than expected but I don't think that's a great metric to go by considering we're talking about streaming and the Free side of Stadia hasn't launched yet.

As for their competitors, xCloud is only in beta at the moment but currently runs off a Xbox One S and can only do 720p, it also apparently has far more latency than Stadia too. GeForce Now seems cool and from what I've heard works well but it seems more of an add on to an existing Steam/PC gaming library rather than its own platform or anything revolutionary. Purely in terms of how well the service actually works I think Stadia is eating competitors' lunch at the moment.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Your wording is very close! Just "It hurt" would work in that sentence. As in, "Yeah, it hurt to see that..."

The word "hurt" is it's own past tense in English, so "hurted" isn't really used.

(I hope I don't come off as an ass here! I just wanted to respond to this since you asked about your word choice!)
No thank you very much. I think I got a good vocabulary but the verb tenses weren't my biggest strength. Would you be kind to tell me why there's no "s" at the end? Like It hurts? Because of the past tense?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I tried Geforce Now but quality was very bad. It's strange as it's the same connection I use Stadia on and still it kept changing the image up and down on resolution. Stadia on the other hand works so well I actually got a second CCU for the bedroom.

It's not strange; your connection is only half the equation.. where the servers are and how well your ISP routes to them is the other half.

You could move and suddenly the experience switches; or even just changing ISPs.. even if you changed to a "better connection" that doesn't mean your connection to Google or wherever nVidia is hosting get's better.

Game streaming is not like video streaming as latency and connection quality is so incredibly important.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's not strange; your connection is only half the equation.. where the servers are and how well your ISP routes to them is the other half.

You could move and suddenly the experience switches; or even just changing ISPs.. even if you changed to a "better connection" that doesn't mean your connection to Google or wherever nVidia is hosting get's better.

Game streaming is not like video streaming as latency and connection quality is so incredibly important.
That's true. I guess I gotta get use to streaming solutions not only competing on exclusives but also on infrastructure.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
No thank you very much. I think I got a good vocabulary but the verb tenses weren't my biggest strength. Would you be kind to tell me why there's no "s" at the end? Like It hurts? Because of the past tense?
"Hurts" would be present tense. Like, for example, if you got news that just now, at this moment, Google Plus was getting beat by Facebook, you might say "Aw man, it hurts to see that happening."

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
That's true. I guess I gotta get use to streaming solutions not only competing on exclusives but also on infrastructure.

I think what's even more important is how well optimized these services are across all types of connections. How dynamic it is. No one's situation is the same, so if they want to sell this to the masses it better run well and be able to adjust for maximum performance on any connection. This is one area I think google is ahead of the game. Their service scales incredibly well across a wide range of network connections.

Dec 14, 2019
Seriously, what is the future of this service? Stadia got trashed way before GeForce Now came along, not to mention xCloud. This service have to join something similar to what GeForce Now does if they want to survive, and they have to work fast.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that misread the title? "Google is disappointed by the Stadia community"
I misread it as "discontinuing" and assumed they were shutting down community forums or something like that.

GeForce Now seems popular here. It's far from perfect, but offers a good-enough experience for many, and you bring your own library to it.
I think their free tier has done a lot to improve the opinion of cloud-based gaming for people that were skeptical.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled my Stadia Pro subscription right before having to pay for the service and jumped on the GeForce Now bandwagon.

Stadia works, and it was a decent experience. Unfortunately, i was only using it for Destiny 2, which worked fine technically, but had the glaring issue of having such a small player base that all the matchmaking was a disaster.

Playing Destiny on GeForce Now does not have this issue, and technically works just about the same for me, so I'm loving it. I still think it's pretty great to fire up Destiny 2 on a work laptop in a hotel room. when it works, it's pretty great. It's not going to replace my gaming desktop but it's a great supplemental option.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Seriously, what is the future of this service? Stadia got trashed way before GeForce Now came along, not to mention xCloud. This service have to join something similar to what GeForce Now does if they want to survive, and they have to work fast.

They have to make available the free subscription and YouTube integration. They will probably release a Gamepass like service as well. The service seems to work for the majority of people that have tried it and for me that was the first major challenge for them to surpass. After that what needs to be corrected is the library of games and business model. By the time next gen comes out they better have most 3rd party games available on Stadia at the same time they are released on next gen consoles.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah a little bit disappointed, was expecting more but will patiently wait for it to get better as other new services have. Streaming in my mind is the future.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
5) Have a good enough computer to properly play the compressed, encoded video stream in real-time.
I'm not a huge Stadia fan, and a lot of the other points that you raise are valid, but...this is you reaching for something else to criticise, without thinking about it first. Pretty much any machine on which you'd expect to play games is good enough to stream video. If you have a machine that struggles to stream video then sure, Stadia isn't going to work well for you on that machine, but neither is pretty much anything else.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not a huge Stadia fan, and a lot of the other points that you raise are valid, but...this is you reaching for something else to criticise, without thinking about it first. Pretty much any machine on which you'd expect to play games is good enough to stream video. If you have a machine that struggles to stream video then sure, Stadia isn't going to work well for you on that machine, but neither is pretty much anything else.

classic Gamer hilarity - game needs a toaster to run but a separate bullet point to watch a video stream

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
"Besides, he said, it's not about the daily experience in the early days. It's about the end goal -- the 8K, lag-free, game-streaming utopia that Google promised when it debuted Stadia. "

This is shades of what Todd Howard said about Fallout 76 being a trainwreck at launch. It's CaaS - Console as a Service!

I suppose the next step is the inevitable "dev roadmap" being posted publicly.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Saw this tweet earlier today, felt like it was appropriate for this thread:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Man when i remember back a while some people were saying its going to be a game changer and shit, lol.

I think streaming will eventually be a game changer at some point. I don't think Stadia is going to be the one to do it. Stadia is going to go on the heap with OnLive and Gaikai, as an early failed attempt.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think streaming will eventually be a game changer at some point. I don't think Stadia is going to be the one to do it. Stadia is going to go on the heap with OnLive and Gaikai, as an early failed attempt.

streaming is obviously going to be a game changer - it's clear to any non-luddite

but the market will be hard to predict - i think it's going to be xCloud and a dark horse AWS solution duking it out in 3 years