• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Sure, Sony says it's skipping E3 this year, but let's take a look at the facts. Within the past eight weeks, the company has unveiled the PlayStation 5, teasing out details about its upgraded architecture and 8K capabilities, and clearly delineating the start of a new console generation. A buzzy new trailer for one of PlayStation's most-anticipated exclusive games, Death Stranding, dropped two weeks ago, complete with a release date (and details about a $200 collector's edition that comes with a life-sized pod baby).

That's not to mention the things that Sony is doing during E3. PlayStation is hosting its annual Days of Play sale this week, and even though it isn't holding a press conference, it's making headlines at other companies' shows. Final Fantasy VII Remake is a major title at E3 2019, as Square Enix just revealed a release date and fresh details -- and it happens to be a PlayStation exclusive.

And that's just the start. Turns out, Sony doesn't have to actually attend E3 to do E3.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Sony doesnt show up to E3 at all: SONY DID AMAZING!
Nintendo doesnt do a live show: IS NINTENDO LEAVING THE VIDEO GAME BUSINESS?!

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, times and circumstances were a bit different when Nintendo stopped doing them. If anything, they've somewhat normalized it.

There is definitely a bit of a reach here though regarding Sony.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice try, but nah. Sony dropped some next-gen info and the Death Stranding trailer before E3. Other than that, there's barely a single game/service announcement this E3 that doesn't involve Xbox/Switch/PC/Stadia as well, so Sony's involvement or exclusivity in this E3 really isn't here. Their time will be at other events.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
That's basically been my contention in the thread about how Sony's decision to not have a presentation will be looked at in the future.

They've likely generated somewhere between 60-80% of the buzz they would've gotten had they attended, without needing to spend all the money to get people talking. I'm curious for a YT view count comparison of DS and FFVII compared to what Microsoft presented.

Given it's a transitional year, I think their decision is pretty brilliant.

Also, they showed off what the PS5 is potentially capable of.

That Microsoft didn't show/tease/hint anything besides specs really surprised me.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I for one was really excited to see all the first party Sony titles that are going to be available at the launch of the PS5.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A bunch of announcements and a sales week over eight whole weeks -two months- isn't exactly an E3.

It's more so just, you know, exactly the steady stream of announcements most people would reasonably expect from Sony after they dropped the megaton press conference model.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony was managing expectations. They had stuff to show, but wasn't confident enough to hold a formal presentation. So they showed what they had and avoided the whole prospect of disappointing fans.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Sony in 2019 : PS4 on the cusp of selling 100 million units...generation leader by millions

Nintendo in 2013 : WiiU is a colossal failure

Yes Nintendo does attract lots of doomsayers but the difference in reactions is also due to the very different places each platform holder is/was at the time

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Gotta admire the hustle of trying to get clicks with the hot takes.

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhh, I dunno about that. They didn't miss much, though I wouldn't say they had much of a presence with the 3rd party stuff. I felt this year E3 was a little underwhelming, I was hoping for gameplay footage from the New Xbox and more gameplay in general. It felt like we got a lot of trailers and very little actual gameplay.

I'm expecting next year to be insane with the PS5 and Scarlet being in full display with gameplay demos, exclusives, prices, etc.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
sOnY wOn E3 bY nOt BeInG PrEsENt
this but unironically

nintendo will take it if we see animal crossing imo but this has been quite the lackluster E3 so far

that entire week of speculating if we'll get a state of play which lead onto the death stranding tease stream and trailer was way more engaging and better than anything at E3 so far

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony won the E3 award for not having anything new to show but at least having the decency to not drag it out into a press conference.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
WAIT YOU MEAN THE #1 PLATFORM IN THE INDUSTRY IS GOING TO HAVE GAMES SHOWN ON IT AT A TRADE SHOW

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Lmao. No, but it was clear there would be some pretty hot takes likes this one.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Uhhhh....

I mean, regular marketing around E3 time is now attending E3? Ok.

Look, the generation is winding down but it isn't time yet to show their hand regarding the PS5 so just skip it lol.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I don't know about this whole take, but I do firmly believe Sony took all possible weight from Xbox's next gen announcement by announcing first. There is nothing exciting about hearing "8K", "120hz" etc the second time around. So I think it was the correct decision. But overall, nah. It's just that many would say E3 was underwhelming this year.

We still have Ninty though

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
E3 2020 going to be
PS5
God of War Too
Horizon Second Dawn
Last of Us Blasphemous 2
Marvel Spider Man Returns

These are leaks folks

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I think Sony's major stuff is all ps5 related first party wise, save for previously annouced games, so they honestly didn't have enough new stuff to show. We'll probabaly get a PSX event later in the year where they will show off the first solid ps5 teasers and games.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Death Stranding trailer and some PS5 specs? Nah. E3 has been weak this year, but Sony have still offered very little in comparison.

Not turning up might have been the correct decision to avoid making them look bad, but it sure as shit doesn't make them look good.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Spreading the news over quiet periods probably got them more positive attention and all viewed without the weight of expectation that accompanies E3. The experiment seems to have paid off. I even wonder will we ever see them at E3 again?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Sony in 2019 : PS4 on the cusp of selling 100 million units...generation leader by millions

Nintendo in 2013 : WiiU is a colossal failure

Yes Nintendo does attract lots of doomsayers but the difference in reactions is also due to the very different places each platform holder is/was at the time
Exactly. Nintendo bailed out on a few days of hype and advertising when they were at their lowest point. Sony's in a completely different position.