• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
They also announced an exclusive Predator game, exclusive Iron Man game and whole load of VR games. Dreams got a release, Concrete Genie got a release date, Medievil got a release date, FF7R (a exclusive got a release date), announced stuff like EA Access, the 3rd parties who they are partnered with announced their stuff and I wouldn't be shocked if they announce something for TLoU 2 relatively soon (within the next 3 months if I was to bet), it wouldn't have been a great E3 (probably a big reason they didn't bother), but they definitely had a plan without E3 and you could argue their E3 happened without people noticing.

so are Nintendo directs E3? (not talking about their recent E3 one)

Oct 25, 2017
Nice try, but nah. Sony dropped some next-gen info and the Death Stranding trailer before E3. Other than that, there's barely a single game/service announcement this E3 that doesn't involve Xbox/Switch/PC/Stadia as well, so Sony's involvement or exclusivity in this E3 really isn't here. Their time will be at other events.

FFVII Remake on PS4 only at release is a huge deal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
so are Nintendo directs E3? (not talking about their recent E3 one)
No, E3 is a garbage trade show, but 99% of people only care about it because we get game trailers. SoP/Directs also give you game trailers but they aren't limited to 1 a year. Not sure your point though, Sony's E3 show would have likely been those games, with probably a short TLoU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima trailer.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get why Sony didn't do a proper E3 show this year, with no new games let alone hardware to show (yet) that would have been a rather awkward one.

But MS underperforming doesn't mean "Sony's E3 actually happened", that's bullshit.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
That sounds more like a you thing than a Nintendo thing then.
BotW direct sequel was a given, and since they sat on a finished BotW for Switch launch, I speculated years ago that the sequel would come sooner than later, 2019-2020. I hope it's not just a dark/underworld sequel but something with a fresh new land to explore. I was hoping for something more surprising like a new F-Zero or Mother game.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
BotW direct sequel was a given, and since they sat on a finished BotW for Switch launch, I speculated years ago that the sequel would come sooner than later, 2019-2020. I hope it's not just a dark/underworld sequel but something with a fresh new land to explore. I was hoping for something more surprising like a new F-Zero or Mother game.
Only insofar as a new 3D Zelda was inevitable. Nintendo only very rarely makes direct Zelda sequels.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah no. As someone who barely follows console gaming these days outside of these shows, it clearly looks like MS and Nintendo ran away with this e3, with the Goofy Stadia bringing up the rear and really only being remembered when you see it listed as a destination for a multiplat. Sony otoh has only been brought up when people started talking about scarletts specs (system wars).

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no. As someone who barely follows console gaming these days outside of these shows, it clearly looks like MS and Nintendo ran away with this e3, with the Goofy Stadia bringing up the rear and really only being remembered when you see it listed as a destination for a multiplat. Sony otoh has only been brought up when people started talking about scarletts specs (system wars).
Hmm what?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Im saying, the only time I have heard or seen anyone talking about E3 and Sony simultaneously so far this year, is when talking about what the next Xboxs specs are going to be and then theorizing which of the next 2 consoles will be the most powerful. Outside of that, I havent seen or heard anyone mention Sony at all.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO, didn't someone make a thread pretty much saying the exact thing she is saying how Sony got free promotion from Microsoft and get banned?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Sony doesn't need E3 to make announcements but it doesn't need websites to do it's damage control and shape the narrative either.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Sony ain't even on my mind at all and frankly it shouldn't be unless you just wanna war

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Pretty much. Sony ain't even on my mind at all and frankly it shouldn't be unless you just wanna war
x2jUuyZ.jpg

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony made the right decision. This years E3 was kinda boring. And PS4 still got tons of 3rd party multiplats, console exclusives games and footage of exclusive games (like the amazing Final Fantasy VII Remake). Everybody is talking about FF7R right now.
It was a good decision. Focus on the next big thing.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The people who say that sony is in no ones mind during a big gaming event describe accurately why it can only be a loss.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E3 is an industry trade show, not a fan convention.

It's actually both and if Sony was there fans would be cheering like they have been for the past 24 years.

To be honest, it's undeniable how much positive word of mouth Sony is reaping from an E3 they aren't even at. That doesn't mean that they 'won' E3, but it definitely shows that skipping a show hasn't hurt them a bit.

No it didn't hurt them, how would it when you are selling so well regardless? Obviously Sony has something to show, that's why they revealed more on Death Stranding. It certainly would not have hurt them if they were at E3.

Imo Sony still "won" the show even if they weren't physically there

Death Stranding and FF7:R were some of the biggest showcases.

And it would also have been one of the biggest if they attended E3 as well. All this did was save Sony some money and left fans defending theor decision on the forums.

Well of courseit happened. 3rd party multiplats and exclusives everywhere, just not from Sony. It was glorious ;D

Sony will be there next year to show off the PS5, they already know PS4 sales will sell with or without E3. I just think they released information of their games that havene't released yet too early and are not willing to talk about next gen content yet.

It was always announced as first to PlayStation 4. No mention of any other platform since.

Which I guess you're all in favor for third party exclusives as long as they are on the PS4.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I heavily suspect that if nobody had an E3 showing, press would still pump out an insane amount of articles about who could've shown what and who had a secret E3, etc.

Secret E3, everyone!

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Sony in 2019 : PS4 on the cusp of selling 100 million units...generation leader by millions

Nintendo in 2013 : WiiU is a colossal failure

Yes Nintendo does attract lots of doomsayers but the difference in reactions is also due to the very different places each platform holder is/was at the time

People will only push an agenda they wanna push sadly.

Anyways, this E3 was decent. Square and Nintendo had amazing shows at least.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that most games are multiplats isn't all that relevant. The average casual consumer will associate games with whatever company advertizes them.

Also even just OK showings beat the pants off of not showing up at all.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Depends on what constitutes a win or loss according you or the article. If it's dick measuring, than there's not much lost. If it's about marketing and presence in the consumers mind than yes it can only be a loss.

The whole idea of Sony winning or losing something from a convention they didn't take any part in is rather ridiculous.

What's dick measuring in this context?

As far as I'm aware, it's business as usual in the UK. For example, Sony's lack of presence hasn't affected (afaict) the pre-orders on Amazon.

Oct 28, 2017
Gamers and the press are talking about Sony during an E3 they didn't even attend. Positively.

Yeah, I think they did pretty damn well.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
The fact that most games are multiplats isn't all that relevant. The average casual consumer will associate games with whatever company advertizes them.

Yeah that's why The Witcher 3, FIFA, Anthem, Assassin's Creed or Battlefield sold best on Xbox One.

...except they didn't.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Depends on what constitutes a win or loss according you or the article. If it's dick measuring, than there's not much lost. If it's about marketing and presence in the consumers mind than yes it can only be a loss.

Empty words. It is easy to verify which one has the best marketing and mindshare: Let us see how MS fares between now and the next E3, relative to Sony. If they get beaten in their own market, then we will have had our answer. In fact, let us limit ourselves to their perfromance in June and July as to isolate the months most affected by the conference.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
User Warned: Antagonizing and generalizing other members over posts and threads
Some of you really cant be serious at this point
that's the joke..they are....

Most or all of the multi-plats at Ms conference will sell way more on playstation. It's funny seeing people act like folks will buy them on xbox because they are at ms show lol.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
For the vast majority of Switch users, it is. Link's Awakening is almost 30 years old, plus this version has the dungeon maker.

That's an extremely insipid spin of the situation.

Do I really need to specify that I would like a new Zelda game, and specifically a new 3D Zelda game actually, for you to understand that they're not delivering what I want?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Casual gamers are casual, they aren't unintelligent. People that play games know majority of titles are on PS&Xbox until you see an "only on" label during a trailer.

Come on man people aren't idiots just because they don't follow gaming news lol.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Being at E3 in person without Sony is like going back to my hometown for an annual trip after a best childhood friend moved away roughly a year ago. Like, sure, some of my other buddies moved away a while back (ea, blizzard), but I wasn't that close to them. Now that Sony's gone, it's just weird walking around an old town where everything is a little different. Their presence was always HUGE at the event itself. No massive field of first and third party kiosks makes the place feel that much more barren.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's an extremely insipid spin of the situation.

Do I really need to specify that I would like a new Zelda game, and specifically a new 3D Zelda game actually, for you to understand that they're not delivering what I want?
I mean, that's a nonsensical stance then, isn't it? They're delivering the 3D Zelda that the vast majority of fans are interested in. This is based on the sales data, specifically. If you're unhappy with a ground-up remake of a 2D game with a huge, new component, and a sequel to the best reviewed and best-selling entry in the franchise, that's a you problem.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the claims that the PushSquare article saying the same shit was just biased, here's just one of the handful of similar publications parroting the obvious. And for all the claims that this is a bad take or a reach, this forum voted a PS4 exclusive as game of the show.

Sony never needed to be there this year. Their machine is self-sustaining at this point in the cycle.

Death Stranding got as much attention as it would've gotten at a presser, and that was just from dropping a trailer and release date online, obviously prompted by the impending E3 blowout to come for the industry.

And their bit piece about the PS5 mirrored what Microsoft later said about Scarlett, which makes them getting out ahead and saying something even smarter. They were proactive instead of reactive.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being at E3 in person without Sony is like going back to my hometown for an annual trip after a best childhood friend moved away roughly a year ago. Like, sure, some of my other buddies moved away a while back (ea, blizzard), but I wasn't that close to them. Now that Sony's gone, it's just weird walking around an old town where everything is a little different. Their presence was always HUGE at the event itself. No massive field of first and third party kiosks makes the place feel that much more barren.

It's ok. Your childhood friend will be back next year. :)

For all the claims that the PushSquare article saying the same shit was just biased, here's just one of the handful of similar publications parroting the obvious . And for all the claims that this is a bad take or a reach, this forum voted a PS4 exclusive as game of the show.

Sony never needed to be there this year. Their machine is self-sustaining at this point in the cycle.

Death Stranding got as much attention as it would've gotten at a presser, and that was just from dropping a trailer and release date online, obviously prompted by the impending E3 blowout to come for the industry.

And their bit piece about the PS5 mirrored what Microsoft later said about Scarlett, which makes them getting out ahead and saying something even smarter. They were proactive instead of reactive.

I was thinking the same thing. lol.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, that's a nonsensical stance then, isn't it? They're delivering the 3D Zelda that the vast majority of fans are interested in. This is based on the sales data, specifically. If you're unhappy with a ground-up remake of a 2D game with a huge, new component, and a sequel to the best reviewed and best-selling entry in the franchise, that's a you problem.

So it's nonsensical to want things that I would like?

Also, this was all about "surprises". BOTW2 isn't a surprise to anyone, it's basically a "oh, now it's there" thing whether you're interested in the game or not. And from the general vibe, I think it's not going to be as well received as the first game was.

It looks like you're dead set on proclaiming any differing opinions as "problems". Why are other people's opinions such a problem for you?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So it's nonsensical to want things that I would like?

Also, this was all about "surprises". BOTW2 isn't a surprise to anyone, it's basically a "oh, now it's there" thing whether you're interested in the game or not. And from the general vibe, I think it's not going to be as well received as the first game was.

It looks like you're dead set on proclaiming any differing opinions as "problems". Why are other people's opinions such a problem for you?
It's nonsensical to suggest that a high profile game that wasn't announced and we had no hints about isn't a surprise because it's not the thing you like.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's nonsensical to suggest that a high profile game that wasn't announced and we had no hints about isn't a surprise because it's not the thing you like.

It's not like the game wasn't hinted at all. And it's not a surprise because it's the obvious thing, even down to reusing the BOTW engine and assets. Me not liking it is separate from it not being a surprise. Those are two completely different aspects.

You're throwing "nonsensical" around a lot, but you also throw nonsensical arguments around a lot.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not like the game wasn't hinted at all. And it's not a surprise because it's the obvious thing, even down to reusing the BOTW engine and assets. Me not liking it is separate from it not being a surprise. Those are two completely different aspects.

You're throwing "nonsensical" around a lot, but you also throw nonsensical arguments around a lot.
Please point to all of these evident hints, because it seems like you're just arguing in bad faith.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Sony has nothing new to reveal or are holding everything for PSX, another E3 showing like last year would have been worse. Sucks but it's probably a good business decision. The enthusiasts who watches the conferences will naturally confirm it's on their platform of choice, and the general public is still getting coverage from Sony through social media.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Please point to all of these evident hints, because it seems like you're just arguing in bad faith.

"Please point to all of these hints"? You sure you're not fine with just 90% of the hints? Or even 50%? I mean, if you pay me enough, I can go digging and report back in 6 months. But I'm pretty sure you don't want any of that, because you're just in full denial mode.

Google search has already been polluted by BOTW2's announcement news, so it's more trouble than it's worth to find most of the old news, but even in 2017 Aonuma was already talking about it.

If you had actually followed the news at all, and if you weren't arguing in bad faith yourself, you should remember these yourself. But the only impression I get from you that you're on some twisted crusade here, hell-bent to deny, deny, deny, for whatever weird reason. Either that, or you've been living in a barrel for the last two years.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I am glad they where not there, takes a lot of planning and the devs getting nervous and spending weeks or months on a gameplay section to demo. Let them focus on making the games and Sony on how to present the ps5 next year.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Please point to all of these hints"? You sure you're not fine with just 90% of the hints? Or even 50%? I mean, if you pay me enough, I can go digging and report back in 6 months. But I'm pretty sure you don't want any of that, because you're just in full denial mode.

Google search has already been polluted by BOTW2's announcement news, so it's more trouble than it's worth to find most of the old news, but even in 2017 Aonuma was already talking about it.

If you had actually followed the news at all, and if you weren't arguing in bad faith yourself, you should remember these yourself. But the only impression I get from you that you're on some twisted crusade here, hell-bent to deny, deny, deny, for whatever weird reason. Either that, or you've been living in a barrel for the last two years.
Nintendo is legit always working on the next Zelda. You're grasping at straws. We are not talking about the next Zelda and you know it. We are talking about a direct sequel.

Regardless, I'm done wasting my time arguing with you about it.