• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Engadget: Xbox Is Poised To Dominate The Next Console Generation

• Agree

Votes: 1,256 29.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3,063 70.9%

• Total voters

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is certainly a surprise. Xbox has been the bumbling underdog of the eighth console generation, playing catch-up to Sony's PlayStation 4 and watching from a distance as the Nintendo Switch reignited the passion of video game fans worldwide. However, over the past five years, Microsoft has doggedly climbed its way out of a PR and reputation pit with items like the Xbox One X and the Adaptive Controller as well as its public support of cross-console play. Today, Microsoft is better positioned than any other video game company to take control of the coming hardware cycle, which is expected to kick off in 2020
https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/20/microsoft-xbox-year-in-review-winner/

Added a poll - agree/disagree?

Last edited:

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I agree.

*Edit to elaborate more

Xbox brand killed itself at the start of the gen. Sony capitalized it by using that failure to their gain. Hell even their slogan "for the players'' is a tongue in cheek play on words against the anti consumer DRM microsoft plans.

IMO sony got very very lucky. Dont get me wrong they have quality games and PSVR. It's my main console.

But tides will change with quality hardware. Gamepass and improved exclusives which I'm sure will blow us away when revealed.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, to do that Xbox needs worldwide traction. Thus far, Microsoft has failed at that. Unless they change that, I can't see them ever leading on a worldwide scale.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda click baity but I do believe that MS will bounce back. Now will it dominate? Who knows.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah with their current setup and what is rumored sony has a hard game to play

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Worldwide?

tenor.gif

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for others, but not for me. I just straight up don't care about any Xbox exclusives anymore. Gears, Halo and Forza do nothing for me.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Since the Xbox brand has came into existence it has never been a strong brand ww and in result has never won a gen ever. Until they are able to fix their brand issues they will never "dominate" anything. You would think it would be common knowledge by now.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Would be nice, competition is a good thing and would only push the other 2 major competitors to be even better.

CyberAlias

Jun 7, 2018
Everyone take cover! Seriously though, they have a long way to go but positive steps have been taken. They will definitely have a better gen than last, which is what I want.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that MS will do much better next time around, but "dominate" ? I don't know about that.

And there's still the not so small matter of everywhere outside North America and the UK.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Never going to happen with worldwide regions substantially favoring Playstation.

Sony has a near monopoly when compared to Microsoft on that front.

Oct 25, 2017
They're going into next gen a lot better than they did this one.
Whether that translates to dominating? Probably not.
Switch is the first of the new generation like 3DS was, its doing pretty well. People still like PlayStation quite a bit too.

All 3 are likely to do well like they currently are

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Sony has to mess it up the way Xbox One did at the beginning of the generation.

I don't think they will.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance of them dominating worldwide, There is a chance of them leading in sales in UK and US but I don't see them ever dominating.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Depends if we get the return of Arrogant Sony or not.

If there was a hypothetical situation where, say, Xbox Two was fully BC and PS5 wasn't, that could be huge.

Or if Xbox continues to improve Game Pass and Sony doesn't have a good enough answer to it (PS Now ain't even close right now).

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018
I think they're making a lot of good moves and will probably be stronger next generation, but I think Sony would have to majorly screw up somehow for MS to dominate.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's easy to say this when we have no clue what Sony's next gen plans are. I have a feeling when we see what PS5 is, the narrative won't be as one sided as this.

And this bullshit:
Compare all of this with Sony, a company that has backed away from courting independent developers, refused to implement cross-console play and just recently pulled out of E3 2019 entirely.

No mention of fastest selling comic book game in history. No mention of God of War. No mention that their first party momentum shows no signs of slowing down with games like Dreams, Death Stranding and Last of US 2. lol

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
All i have to say is, let's wait and see. Love how some medias think Sony will be just sitting there and scratch their balls, while MS will bounce back.

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah.. No, just no. Sony is going to dominate again - especially worldwide.

Do not underestimate the power of Playstation.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like I'm back in 2012. The entire media going on about how this generation would be the last ever for Sony, with Microsoft dominating.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I predict the article won't age well, I just don't understand how Xbox improving themselves washes off everything Sony have built so far.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think they will bounce back but they wont dominate because they also put there games on pc so more people can play them. i can see sony winning hardware sales but ms winning software sales.