• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
NrLbvOJ.png

RELEASE INFO:
Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch
Release Date: April 5th
Price: Free (for those who own Enter the Gungeon)
Developer: Dodgeroll

Publisher: Devolver Digital

F7gio8I.png

Enter the Gungeon is an indie roguelite developed by Dodgeroll Games and published by Devolver Digital. It involves exploring through a randomly-generated dungeon where everything is, in some way or another, based on bullets: your currency are bullets, your keys are bullets, the enmies are bullets, some bosses are bullets, etc. It plays from a top-down view, using WASD to move and your mouse to aim and shoot (in console, you move with the left stick and aim with the right stick).
It being a roguelite means one thing: there's permadeath. You die for good, having to start from the beggining each time and losing everything you got in that "run" (a playthrough from the moment you start to the moment you die or beat the game). Thankfully, not many runs are useless, since any gun, items or NPCs that you unlock while exploring the Gungeon will be available in later runs.
The objective of the game is killing each of the playable character's "pasts", which means exploring through all of the floors of the Gungeon, fighting over 26 unique bosses, unlocking hundreds of items and guns and more.

FHbmVkI.png

Enter the Gungeon: A Farewell to Arms is the final update to Dodgeroll's hit title Enter the Gungeon. This update, completely free of cost for Enter the Gungeon owners, is the developer's own farewell to their game. It'll include:

uLdPrhf.png

From April 5th, you'll be able to play as two new Gungeoneers (playable characters), the Gunslinger and the Paradox.

Gunslinger:
  • Starting item: TBA
  • Starting guns: TBA
  • Past: TBA
Paradox:
  • Starting item: Random
  • Starting guns: Random
  • Past: Random
  • Costs 5 credits to use

pfKMenC.png

This new update will add:
  • Some new guns, items and synergies.
  • There's a new NPC called Bowler, which activates the "Rainbow Mode". In the Rainbow Mode a rainbow chest will spawn at the beginning of every floor, but there's a twist: you can only choose one of the items it drops and that'll be the only item you'll be able to get for the whole floor (excluding pickups and Master Rounds).
  • There's an entirely new floor with an entirely new boss. In Dodgeroll's words: "We've added a new secret floor with its own very special boss that we really can't wait for the community to experience (make sure you have your sound on!). This boss is in some ways the ultimate form of every joke or reference in Enter the Gungeon".

buoWmOk.png

• Some rare NPCs are now less rare.
  • Some of the weaker items have been been buffed or reworked to make red chests better overall.
  • Performance is now even better across all systems, especially the Switch
  • You'll now get a reward for killing mimics.
  • If you run under a boss' lifebar, it'll now become half-transparent.

60c2TPa.png

D3FCIO0WoAAFIKI.jpg:large

D3LGh-3XcAISR-I.jpg

D2twdJiWsAA8WSc.jpg

D2th77kWoAMVyuy.jpg

D2rjG-MWoAEnuRN.jpg

D2rjG80WoAY4QG3.jpg

D2q6ucmWwAElGR0.jpg

D2q6uaoW0AE9mOi.jpg

You can buy Enter the Gungeon here:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've owned this game for well over a year and each time I think I'll get a little further into it, I fail to stick with it

Maybe this time will do it

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm soooooo ready for this. I'm not the best player or anything, but I've 100%ed the game and filled out the whole Ammonomicon, so I'm really excited to eat up whatever they have in store here! Legitimately one of my favorite games ever, and also the first and only roguelike I've ever enjoyed, for some reason.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this, I just have the real final boss to beat, I got everyone's past already at around 110 hours of playtime.
Also didn't do any optionnal floor so I plan to go all in when this update drops.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also very interested in the RNG changes. The game is amazing but can be just a LITTLE too swingy. I can usually always beat the Dragun with whatever I'm given, but there are definitely runs where the Rat or Lich would be almost impossible with my cruddy crap items. Red Chests, which they are fixing, were especially egregious in how unreliable they were.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love this game, but I've only made it to the 3rd floor like, 5 times. I'm really bad at it. Lol

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I just wish they'd add proper co-op instead of one player being forced to use the cultist.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Gosh damn I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most is the matrix feel I get when I'm in the zone. I quipped about it in one of the Switch threads for this game. But when the game clicks and you understand how the enemy gun patterns work. You'll see it all happen at once. Where the safe spots are, where the hit spots are, everything. It's a great feeling and I can't wait to get it again!
It's gonna take me another 20 hours to get the feeling back though haha.

Nov 2, 2017
I love this game, but I've only made it to the 3rd floor like, 5 times. I'm really bad at it. Lol
Same! I look forward to reinstalling it for a week or so.
Yup, that's me too. I'm always blown away how folks can master this game. I have put in less than 20 hours total but not sure if more time/reps will help me haha.

It's been a while since I have played so I may be particularly crappy when I fire this up again.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
PSA: Enter the Gungeon is on sale on the Xbox Store for $7.49 USD. I'd been waiting on biting on this once it went on sale again and here I am, getting my ass handed to me by the game!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I was very surprised at how much I liked this game. Will check this out.

Yup, that's me too. I'm always blown away how folks can master this game. I have put in less than 20 hours total but not sure if more time/reps will help me haha.
Practice definitely helps. I used to generally die at around the third floor or before. These days (a LOT of hours later) I can usually make it to the last floor or get a clear, as long as I don't choke too badly.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
PSA: Enter the Gungeon is on sale on the Xbox Store for $7.49 USD. I'd been waiting on biting on this once it went on sale again and here I am, getting my ass handed to me by the game!
When Gungeons and Draguns released they put the game 50% off everywhere, so it'll probably be the same now.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still my gotg and I had no idea this was coming out.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this, even if I haven't been able to beat the two bosses added in the last one. It's also hard to practice when you need to jump through hoops to even encounter either of them.

I'm soooooo ready for this. I'm not the best player or anything, but I've 100%ed the game and filled out the whole Ammonomicon, so I'm really excited to eat up whatever they have in store here! Legitimately one of my favorite games ever, and also the first and only roguelike I've ever enjoyed, for some reason.
Pfft, if you filled out the entire Ammonomicon, you're pretty fucking good.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
New achievements/trophies?

I only need that annoying as fuck advanced boss achievement. Any tips for that one?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's been a while since I have played so I may be particularly crappy when I fire this up again.

Practice does help - but it just takes a long time. Overall the game is super fair, though, once you see the pattens you may find that there's actually a pretty decent amount of freedom in terms of positioning and timing.

As I said before I'm not like "pro" or anything but if I could give a few tips that helped me:
  • Keep your eyes on your character. Looking at the enemies is tempting but rarely helpful, just look at the character and moving away from bullets becomes much more natural.
  • Dodge less! They stress the roll as a key mechanic but for many, many attacks, just weaving is enough. Panic rolling just puts you in danger as much as it helps.
  • Scout the floor fully before the boss and be mindful of how you use keys. There are always 2 chests per floor. It sucks to waste a key on a brown chest when you didn't know that there was a green one two rooms later. If you have money, the shop always sells at least one key per floor.
  • On the subject of chests, always shoot chests once with a weak gun, it might be a mimic!
  • Separate "boss guns" and "room guns." In general boss guns are homing, explosive, beam based, or rapid fire; room guns are wide spread, poison, snipers, etc. Again it comes to down to preference, play style, and specific weapon but the gist is don't waste your mini guns and rocket launchers killing cruddy Bullet Kin and then wind up empty handed for a boss. Likewise, a gun that shoots a huge spread of shots or turns enemies into harmless chickens is largely wasted on a boss.
  • Don't underestimate "hidden" synergies (as in, once that don't announce themselves with an arrrow pop up). The holster that fires an extra shot when you reload might not seem that exciting but when you pair it with that hard hitting, single shot sniper rifle now every time you fire you're shooting twice! In general the combos you can do have almost ZERO artificial limits or exceptions from the devs, so some pretty crazy stuff can happen. Get the Battery Bullets and now the squirt gun shoots pools of electrified water, for example.
  • Finally, don't worry about "beating" the game early on. Make each run a mission to get something you can keep. Maybe you want to unlock an elevator shortcut, or maybe your sole aim is to figure out the best way to reliably avoid one of Mine Flayer's attacks. Dying and restarting is not a failure if you've earned something you can bring with you, be it a new unlock to the loot pool of just good old fashioned knowledge.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I was very surprised at how much I liked this game. Will check this out.

Practice definitely helps. I used to generally die at around the third floor or before. These days (a LOT of hours later) I can usually make it to the last floor or get a clear, as long as I don't choke too badly.
Getting the Robot's past was an awful experience, once I managed to reach it only to die pathetically at the past's boss. Thankfully second time went much better.
I'm not super good at this game but I improved a lot for sure.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the Robot's past was an awful experience, once I managed to reach it only to die pathetically at the past's boss. Thankfully second time went much better.
Just beat the Robot's past yesterday as well. Ready for this!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Stupid question, but do we know if this releases tomorrow on all platforms? Asking since console patches sometimes get delays due to certification, etc. and often devs have no control over their release date.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The continued support of this game has been amazing, and all but ensures I'll be getting Dodgeroll's next release on day one. Well done, guys.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't underestimate "hidden" synergies (as in, once that don't announce themselves with an arrrow pop up). The holster that fires an extra shot when you reload might not seem that exciting but when you pair it with that hard hitting, single shot sniper rifle now every time you fire you're shooting twice! In general the combos you can do have almost ZERO artificial limits or exceptions from the devs, so some pretty crazy stuff can happen. Get the Battery Bullets and now the squirt gun shoots pools of electrified water, for example.

Just got an interesting one while training again for the update tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Dueling laser : "gun that fires a large, high-damage piercing laser. Like an active item, it must recharge after each shot by dealing damage to enemies. "
Ring of Triggers : "While using an active item, rapidly fires the currently held weapon in a counterclockwise ring. This does not consume ammo, nor does it require the held gun to have any ammo remaining. "
+ use a quicly rechargeable item.

BTW the ETG wiki is a goldmine of information since the ingame codex don't explain a lot of items.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the robot has the hardest past. I died there a few times before I finally got my clear.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Never did beat this game. I only bought it after the most recent update, had a couple runs that felt like I got really screwed over by bad RNG towards the end and it broke me. Maybe I'll try and go back..but I don't know.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got an interesting one will training again for the update tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Dueling laser : "gun that fires a large, high-damage piercing laser. Like an active item, it must recharge after each shot by dealing damage to enemies. "
Ring of Triggers : "While using an active item, rapidly fires the currently held weapon in a counterclockwise ring. This does not consume ammo, nor does it require the held gun to have any ammo remaining. "
+ use a quicly rechargeable item.

BTW the ETG wiki is a goldmine of information since the ingame codex don't explain a lot of items.

Gah yes, that's awesome. One of my favorite aspects of the game's whole philosophy is that it's kind of a game of "yes." Like, if something sounds too crazy to work.... it works. So many other games add limits or "asteriks" to their item stacking / interaction, but Dodge Roll have zero problem letting you just fully break everything. Which in turn, pairs super well with randomization since you can't really replicate these insane and broken setups whenever you want to, so if they are imbalanced.... well, who cares?

And yeah the Wiki is also one of the best I've found for almost any game. Insanely thorough and helpful.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I thought the bullet was harder. The robot has the best starting weapon.
I feel like the bullet's past was more controllable because of how patterned and predictable it was. It was hard, but you could be very deliberate with your movements. The robot's past is very chaotic because of the attacks and arena size, which made it harder to get away from things unscathed.

The pasts that gave me the most trouble were the robot's and the marine's.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Phew, I found a Clone again which resulted in me finally getting 5 master rounds in one run, beating Dragun with The Robot, and killing The Robot's past. Knocked out half of my remaining challenges in one epic run! I think now I just have to beat the game on Challenge Mode, beating the Rat, and beating the Advanced Dragun. That felt good to finish a few things up before the new update arrives.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god it's live but I have things to do

But this update IS a thing to do

Help me