• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
03c31b8f54e724d60b90e77d9244f114d3e8cb39.jpg

Screenshots

ss_9a74ab65fb19e85cac6a64b7dbe05da5411cfb7b.1920x1080.jpg

enter-the-gungeon-1-920x518.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Developer:
Dodgeroll
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Switch, PS4, XBOX One
Price: $14.99 in America
Release date: April 5th, 2016

Oh god, I just bought this game during the recent Steam sale to see if it would quench my thirst of a Rogue Lite game.I remember watching various people play this including Vinesauce's Vinny and a couple of of streams of northerlion. I was a big of of The Binding of Isaac and platinum god that game. Boy, was I in for a rough time.

So, after 15 hours so far put into the game, I have to say that I feel like I have been kicked multiple times in the sack to the point where I don't even know if I can reproduce anymore and no matter how much effort I put into it, I can't even reach the floor five boss. Compared to say, Isaac or Nuclear Throne, this game has a much slower pacing to it where the game wants you to focus on dodging multiple bullets on the screen while exploring randomly generated rooms. Much like other rogue lites or likes, your survival depends on, health, keys, armor, currency (Which in this case is bullets)and your ammunition which is the most vital to your progress. Well that and memorizing enemy patterns.

Bosses are fought at the end of each area and have quite a lot of HP meaning unless you have a decent gun with a good amount of ammo, you're going to be plinking away at their life bars with your starter weapon while you dodgeroll and weave through their onslaught of bullets for quite a while. That means you better have the patience to be doing this over and over again so that you don't die or even get hit once if you want that extra life up at the end of the battles. After playing through the first area multiple of times, I still get hit by the first area if I so much as don't perfectly dodge Gattling Gull's missile attack or The Twins cornering me against the wall. There are items that are called blanks that mitigate this by destroying all the bullets on the screen for a moment and you always start with two each floor.

Still, the only reason I keep playing other than the face I want to beat the first final boss fo the game (I know there are other final boss and endings) is to unlock the guns in the HUB area at the beginning. Depending on how well you defeat the boss, you get special currency that you can spend there to unlock new types of items and guns for the next run. It's my favorite part of the game because it's the only progress I am making at the moment so I feel like I am doing something to help my chances further. Funny enough, this is all after all those updates made this game easier, can't imagine what the game was like before then.

So, how are you guys enjoying the game?

Undead Hero

Dec 11, 2017
This is a comfort food game that I come back to every few months. There's just such an insane amount of stuff to unlock, and so many secrets and different challenges.

Don't be discouraged by the difficulty. I feel like it took me 15-20 hours before the game really clicked (and I had unlocked a lot of good stuff), and after that I was beating the level 5 boss on most regular playthroughs. That's really just step one in this game, though.

Azizhud

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I beat the boss in my 40th hour mark 😂
Its the kinda game where the difficulty and gameplay get a LOT BETTER after unlocking the plethora of guns available.
And honestly, after yoy beat the fifth floor boss the first time, you'll be able to do it countless times after the first. You just have to persevere until you get that first ending

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The game is quite a bit easier now than it was at launch, but it's still going to be hard until you've unlocked a decent number of run carrying items. Keep playing, you're only 15 hours in.

OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
I also hate how repetitive the game seems to be at times.I've unlocked Oubliette and am starting to try to unlock the next secret area.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The secrets are obtuse enough that I wouldn't feel bad about using a guide, at least for parts of them (I did).

It also took me an embarassing number of tries to actually beat the game. Or whatever constitutes beating the game, at least. I still haven't finished the 6th area.

But I love the game, even if the runs are so dependent on weapon drops that you often have no hope.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It took me like, two years of on and off playing until I finally killed my first past.

I think it was then the Switch version went on sale that I buckled up, bought it on that platform, and decided this time I would try to put the effort in necessary. It was so rewarding. The game almost feels like a love letter to games in general and is brimming with so much good presentation and content that it puts a bunch of triple A games to shame.

Also, when I killed my first past and I finally realized the deceptive trick of the conceit, the "theme" of the entire game, I think I quite literally said out the word "wow". It's one of the most clever ways of telling a story through game play, and I didn't even realize it until after I'd beaten it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I legit would probably put it on my top 10 games of the generation list. There's so much to do, so many references and the gameplay loop is amazing

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I usually don't go for trophies in games, but with Enter the Gungeon I played so much that I had to obtain the Platinum. It really wasn't easy to get, and it's one of the plat I'm the proudest of.

I love this game so much. There are so many things to unlock and so many secrets... especially with the last few updates. This game is a real blast. And the music is actually very good.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Gungeon is probably a top 5 game of all time for me. I love everything about it and have put more than 150 hours into it. It's a bit on the easy side for me at this point because of how much I've played it but I still fire it up every so often to see new synergies and whatnot.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Gungeon is probably a top 5 game of all time for me. I love everything about it and have put more than 150 hours into it. It's a bit on the easy side for me at this point because of how much I've played it but I still fire it up every so often to see new synergies and whatnot.

For difficulty, try doing Challenge Mode runs after talking to Daisuke and rolling the bones. Succeeding a complete run in Challenge Mode was to me the most difficult thing in the whole game.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
For difficulty, try doing Challenge Mode runs after talking to Daisuke and rolling the bones. Succeeding a complete run in Challenge Mode was to me the most difficult thing in the whole game.
Yeah for sure, that was definitely the hardest achievement for me to get. You're right though I should probably play it more often than I do.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I have all the trophies and a fully filled out Ammonomicon. Took me 200+ hours. 40 hours in, I could hardly get to the fifth floor on a reliable basis.

It's a long haul! Amazing game though, I think it's my favorite indie of all time.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I like this game but feel there were some lost opportunities to increase the fun and reduce the random unfairness.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
You can select the old drop setting in the options menu if you want to see how the game was before the D&D update (spoiler: it was hard).

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
I'm happy this game gets more attention. It deserves even more of it. I'm not big on rouge-like games, but Enter the Gungeon is one of my favorite games of this generation.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
You can select the old drop setting in the options menu if you want to see how the game was before the D&D update (spoiler: it was hard).

Oh you're right! I forgot they've done that for the D&D update. And yeah, the drop rate and shops content were definitely less generous before... It was hard!

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Lower Case R is one of the best guns in the game though, it has a ton of synergies and the DPS is good enough to clear Oubliette and 3rd floor decently enough. I love that gun.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I got the Platinum and have played this game to death. Id be interested to see how hardcore's felt about it changing with the update. I didn't think gungeon was "hard" so much as unfair or downright unfun at times. What's the point of all the cool guns in the game if you almost never get them and even when you do, don't have ammo for them?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Platinum and have played this game to death. Id be interested to see how hardcore's felt about it changing with the update. I didn't think gungeon was "hard" so much as unfair or downright unfun at times. What's the point of all the cool guns in the game if you almost never get them and even when you do, don't have ammo for them?
Exactly why I dropped the game till now. At least now, you can have a crappy RNG with loot but at least you're not stuck with the starter pistol when you're neck deep in the 4th floor. The lousy ammo drops compounded your misery if the RNG was also not kind to you.

It was still more than enough to beat a run the old way of course but it just felt so draining and unfun for me.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've had this game since it first came out on PS4 and I've never actually beaten it lmao. I think I've gotten to the fourth floor before. I don't really play bullet hell games at all but Gungeon is still a lot of fun even if you don't beat it. Just the wide variety of crazy guns and synergies alone kept me entertained enough that I didn't care if I wasn't making much progress.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
About a year after buying the game, about 100 hours in, I've finally completed a run, and it's all thanks to sheer dumb luck and a seemingly perfect combination of item drops and weapons/passives.

I almost exclusively play as the Marine but I wanted to finish unlocking the shortcut to The Hollow and needed to do the 5 key/240 shell fetch quest so I'd been playing as the Pilot the last few runs and got really unlucky with the drops. I was about to give up for the night but decided to do one more run. I got a rainbow chest in the second room with two extra heart containers and a yellow chamber, plus the Lotus gun, shotgun full of hate, the RAIDEN COIL and the Particulator (the S rank gun that explodes into six homing bullets). I quickly found a passive item that shot another bullet on reload and since the Particulator is one shot per reload, it doubled the output and got me three Master Rounds from how quickly it took down the bosses. I had a few decent guns to help with the simpler rooms, mostly the Ak-47 and somehow got a LOT of ammo drops so I rarely ran out of ammo on my good weapons. I also just kept getting keys from rooms and bosses, and I guess my curse was a little high so I finished the shortcut to the Hollow pretty quickly. On top of that I found the Hero Pig and the Trash Cannon, which meant the pig shot out bat bullets and in the event that I died at some point, I got an extra life (which didn't happen because I was so overpowered by the time I got to the Forge).

Now comes the fun part. I've made it to the Forge a handful of times, but I was usually pretty beat up by the time I got there so I'd only last a few rooms. I explored the whole floor and FINALLY got to meet the blacksmith and gave her the bullet part from the Hollow (because I remembered I had picked up the Mega Douser from a chest and got across the invisible bridge while I was there). I don't know if the map kid is always in the Forge when you get there but he was next to the shop so I talked to him and unlocked Excalibur.

Now, while I was back in the Hollow, I bought some Duct Tape from the yellow merchant guy. I hadn't thought to use it, but then it hit me: duct tape the Particulator to the Mega Douser, which was basically at full ammo. The Mega Douser doesn't need to reload and has has about 1000 bullets and as long as I repeatedly hit the reload button to account for the Particulator shots, they'd almost instantly reload. Needless to say my first fight with the High Dragun was a power trip and I loved it. I also remembered to get the bullet part from its skull which means I only have half the bullet to go.

Basically on this run I got to have an incredibly overpowered character, unlocked a lot of stuff for future runs, unlocked the shortcut to the Hollow, assembled half of the Bullet to Kill the Past and finally completed a run of the Gungeon. Pretty much none of it was skill and almost all of it was RNG but man, that was fun.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I was going through my old screenshots, and it made me miss that time when the Knight's Gun was so OP while playing as the Robot...

And then they nerfed it :(

w7JAEpd.jpg

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of all the cool guns in the game if you almost never get them and even when you do, don't have ammo for them?
I know this is an older post now but this is how I always felt. The game is a victim of its own gameplay mechanics. You've got a kick ass gun game, but you've got no ammo. That makes no sense to me.

xMaxie77

Jun 12, 2018
Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet but this is also makes for a great couch co-op sesh. My brother and I have sunk endless hours into gungeon just trying to keep each other alive long enough to make real progress.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
One of the best game of this gen, I loved every second of it ! The coop' mode is a lot of fun too, don't sleep on it!

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
So I picked this game up today and just finished my first run. Made it to the boss of level 4, the wall guy, who was waaaay harder than the other bosses. I was able to beat the Raven, Snek, and Tank as the Marine. I'm a little annoyed at the lack of information about some mechanics. The tutorial just taught me how to dodge, move, and shoot. Is this a game where you sort of need to keep the wiki close at hand?

• I can tell some weapons and items synergize for example, but I can't tell how to see what that synergy actually does - Is there a way?
  • Is there a way to view an item or weapon quickly in the Ammonomicon immediately upon pickup?
  • I thought it was weird that the game shows you icons of what characters start with but don't explain what the hell they are before choosing them.
  • Do all chests use keys?
  • Are certain items kept permanently after finding them? I found something that seemed important in a room with invisible mine rails and brought it to the next floor but didn't seem to find a use for it.
  • Why did the shopkeeper hate me one time? What triggers it?
  • I rescued two people from cells - golem girl and a keydoor guy(?), but I only see the golem girl back in the starting area.
  • Any other general non-spoilery things to know?
Having a great time with it. I love the enemies and how clever the sheer amount of gun puns there seem to be.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The tutorial just taught me how to dodge, move, and shoot. Is this a game where you sort of need to keep the wiki close at hand?

• I can tell some weapons and items synergize for example, but I can't tell how to see what that synergy actually does - Is there a way?

Yeah, the wiki really is your best friend for this game. There are so many weapons, and the game doesn't often explicitly tell you everything that they do. And like you say, except for their name there is no effect definitions for the synergies. So use the wiki as much as you like!

Is there a way to view an item or weapon quickly in the Ammonomicon immediately upon pickup?

You can use the shortcut to go into the Equipment screen (pressing the touchpad for PS4) and highlight your newly acquired weapon/equipment. The information in this screen is the same that you'll see in the other screens of the Ammonomicon (Guns, Items). These other screens mainly serve to see where you're at unlock-wise.

I thought it was weird that the game shows you icons of what characters start with but don't explain what the hell they are before choosing them.

Except for some very specific characters, everybody always starts with their same regular starting weapons/equipment. You'll learn what they do really quickly!

Do all chests use keys?

Yes, most of them. Sometimes you can be lucky and find an unlocked chest, though. You can identify an unlocked chest because it will not have a padlock on it. So opening it will not consume a key. But be careful, sometimes an unlocked chest might not be what it appears to be...

Why did the shopkeeper hate me one time? What triggers it?

You, or one of your familiars, used a weapon in the shop.

I rescued two people from cells - golem girl and a keydoor guy(?), but I only see the golem girl back in the starting area.

Some people you rescue will permanently go to the starting area (like the golem girl), and some others (like the keydoor guy) have a chance to randomly appear in the gungeon during your runs.

Any other general non-spoilery things to know?

Absolutely! Here are some general tips:

- Keep unlocking stuff. The more you buy items, the more you risk encountering good stuff on your runs, which will definitely give you a much better fighting chance and will make you progress in the game.
- When there are lots of bullets flying around, don't rely too much on dodge rolls. It's too easy to end your roll on an enemy bullet. Try to simply walk around the bullets instead. If you absolutely must do a dodge roll in such a situation, blanking mid-roll is often a life saver.
- Especially when the action gets crazy, try to keep your eyes on your character instead of on the enemy you're shooting at. It makes it much easier to walk around bullets without taking damage.
- The rarity order of regular chests are (from common to very rare): brown, blue, green, red, and black. Don't bother wasting keys on brown chests. Keep your hard-earned keys for blue chests and above. Some people say to also avoid the blue ones, but I very often find really good items in them, so now I try to open the blue ones when I have spare keys.
- Try to explore the whole floor before opening chests. You will not like it if you waste your only key left on a blue chest to later find out there was a black chest on the same floor...
- Always destroy the chests you don't open. But do it at a distance because some will explode. You'll often only get a piece of junk, but sometimes you might get a nice surprise...
- There is usually at least one secret room per floor. Those hidden rooms are open with a blank (or a big explosion). Telltale signs of such a room are cracks on a wall that appear if the bullet of one of your guns hits its entrance. Unfortunately, starter guns will never reveal a hidden room.
- There are two things to know about blanks:
1. You always start a new floor with a minimum of two blanks. But if you have three or more blanks left when changing floor, you will keep them on the next floor.​
2. If you have fewer than three blanks left after a boss fight, try to discover a secret room before leaving the floor. They can be located in a lot of places, but the most common areas to find secret rooms are: chest rooms, special rooms with an NPC in it, and the elevator room after the boss. So if you have no clue where the hidden room is (no cracks on any wall, and you don't want to randomly waste precious ammo), take a guess and use your unused blanks in these kinds of rooms before moving on. You might get lucky.​

Also, about spoilers in this game:
- Apart from the small story bit that happens when you kill the past of a character (and maybe the content of the past itself), I don't think you can really have anything spoiled in this game. There are A LOT of secrets in there and with the vast majority of them, there are practically no chances of you naturally discovering/unlocking them. Like what you should do with the item you got in the invisible mine rails room you mentioned and what is its purpose, for example. And with this game, it's not because you know about a secret and how to unlock it that you will necessarily be able to quickly do so. Many of the secrets take A LOT of effort and skills to unlock.

So I would advise feeling free looking at the wiki for stuff like shrines, new characters unlock requirements, NPCs, mystery items you might find, etc.

Last edited:

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the wiki really is your best friend for this game. There are so many weapons, and the game doesn't often explicitly tell you everything that they do. And like you say, except for their name there is no effect definitions for the synergies. So use the wiki as much as you like!

You can use the shortcut to go into the Equipment screen (pressing the touchpad for PS4) and highlight your newly acquired weapon/equipment. The information in this screen is the same that you'll see in the other screens of the Ammonomicon (Guns, Items). These other screens mainly serve to see where you're at unlock-wise.

Except for some very specific characters, everybody always starts with their same regular starting weapons/equipment. You'll learn what they do really quickly!

Yes, most of them. Sometimes you can be lucky and find an unlocked chest, though. You can identify an unlocked chest because it will not have a padlock on it. So opening it will not consume a key. But be careful, sometimes an unlocked chest might not be what it appears to be...

You, or one of your familiars, used a weapon in the shop.

Some people you rescue will permanently go to the starting area (like the golem girl), and some others (like the keydoor guy) have a chance to randomly appear in the gungeon during your runs.

Absolutely! Here are some general tips:

- Keep unlocking stuff. The more you buy items, the more you risk encountering good stuff on your runs, which will definitely give you a much better fighting chance and will make you progress in the game.
- When there are lots of bullets flying around, don't rely too much on dodge rolls. It's too easy to end your roll on an enemy bullet. Try to simply walk around the bullets instead. If you absolutely must do a dodge roll in such a situation, blanking mid-roll is often a life saver.
- Especially when the action gets crazy, try to keep your eyes on your character instead of on the enemy you're shooting at. It makes it much easier to walk around bullets without taking damage.
- The rarity order of regular chests are (from common to very rare): brown, blue, green, red, and black. Don't bother wasting keys on brown chests. Keep your hard-earned keys for blue chests and above. Some people say to also avoid the blue ones, but I very often find really good items in them, so now I try to open the blue ones when I have spare keys.
- Try to explore the whole floor before opening chests. You will not like it if you waste your only key left on a blue chest to later find out there was a black chest on the same floor...
- Always destroy the chests you don't open. But do it at a distance because some will explode. You'll often only get a piece of junk, but sometimes you might get a nice surprise...
- There is usually at least one secret room per floor. Those hidden rooms are open with a blank (or a big explosion). Telltale signs of such a room are cracks on a wall that appear if the bullet of one of your guns hits its entrance. Unfortunately, starter guns will never reveal a hidden room.
- There are two things to know about blanks:
1. You always start a new floor with a minimum of two blanks. But if you have three or more blanks left when changing floor, you will keep them on the next floor.​
2. If you have fewer than three blanks left after a boss fight, try to discover a secret room before leaving the floor. They can be located in a lot of places, but the most common areas to find secret rooms are: chest rooms, special rooms with an NPC in it, and the elevator room after the boss. So if you have no clue where the hidden room is (no cracks on any wall, and you don't want to randomly waste precious ammo), take a guess and use your unused blanks in these kinds of rooms before moving on. You might get lucky.​

Also, about spoilers in this game:
- Apart from the small story bit that happens when you kill the past of a character (and maybe the content of the past itself), I don't think you can really have anything spoiled in this game. There are A LOT of secrets in there and with the vast majority of them, there are practically no chances of you naturally discovering/unlocking them. Like what you should do with the item you got in the invisible mine rails room you mentioned and what is its purpose, for example. And with this game, it's not because you know about a secret and how to unlock it that you will necessarily be able to quickly do so. Many of the secrets take A LOT of effort and skills to unlock.

So I would advise feeling free looking at the wiki for stuff like shrines, new characters unlock requirements, NPCs, mystery items you might find, etc.

Thanks for all the info! Guess I'll keep the wiki open at all times then.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the High Dragun for the first time after 23 attempts! Felt so good. I think I'm having even more fun with this than I did with Isaac (which I loved).

I haven't had the chance to buy too many guns or items from the breach yet, so I'm looking forward to the gun and item pools to get even more ridiculous.

So now I need to craft the bullet that can kill the past, right? I beat High Dragun on Marine.. can I now give pieces of the bullet with different characters, or do I need to beat it with each first? Wasn't sure if progress was shared between characters.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
This game is easily one of my top 10 all time games, and I've been playing games since Atari days. I absolutely sucked when i started playing but after many many many many... many runs i can say that now i am actually good at the game. It's the perfect roguelike arcade mix for me.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Game is 50% off on PSN until Aug 20th...I've been eyeing this game for a long time and am very tempted.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Near top 10 of all times for me. It is such a well crafted game. I love how it allows for some truly op synergies, no fs given. I almost only do rainbow runs lately. It's less fun to explore the floors and does not give the same variety, but after 100+ hours I prefer the more streamlined approach with higher chance of fun synergies.

Anyone beat the Resourceful Rat yet? I always fail at the punch out mini game :(

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Near top 10 of all times for me. It is such a well crafted game. I love how it allows for some truly op synergies, no fs given. I almost only do rainbow runs lately. It's less fun to explore the floors and does not give the same variety, but after 100+ hours I prefer the more streamlined approach with higher chance of fun synergies.

Anyone beat the Resourceful Rat yet? I always fail at the punch out mini game :(

Yeah, I think Rainbow Mode is really meant as an end game mode geared towards those having a huge amount of hours in the game. A way to continue having fun doing runs.

And I did could beat the Rat 2 or 3 times. But I'm still struggling with the punch out part of the fight. It's probably because I can't really practice it as I can't always reach that part of the rat fight consistently enough. And as a side note, Rainbow Mode is really not ideal for Resourceful Rat runs, because all you get out if his chests after the fight are rainbow guy notes! So it doesn't unlock any items...

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Okay Rainbow Mode is ridiculous. I beat the High Dragun for the first time last night, just tried my first Rainbow Mode run, and I got the Composite Gun, Relodestone to get my ammo back, and Magic Candy. To top it off, I got Ser Junkan fully upgraded and then got a Baby Good Mimic to copy him. Beat all 5 bosses without getting hit lol

Managed to turn in 3 of the 4 Bullet That Can Kill the Past items as well. Didn't grab the one that's an active item, because my build would have been screwed without Relodestone.

I also got Ox's arm next to the blacksmith, but didn't see any enemies with a red balloon. Do I need to get back to floor 5, grab the arm again, and hope the balloon shows up?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
This game keeps getting better. Just killed the Marine's past on the first try, had a half of a heart, no blanks, and only the starting pistol left when I killed it. This game gives me the same rush that the Soulsbourne series did the first time through.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Best rougelike imo.

The only thing i dont like is the boss damage cap, i wish there was an option to turn it off on console.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Best rougelike imo.

The only thing i dont like is the boss damage cap, i wish there was an option to turn it off on console.