• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
IMO, with Nintendo, it could mean anything. It could also mean that "our contract with Nintendo forbids us to officially reveal the support until they announce the first Game Maker titles on a Nintendo Direct". I mean, Nintendo kept DOOM a secret until less than 2 months before release.

It would be an incredibly weird inside-baseball thing to keep support for a game engine secret. They announce games on their own terms, of course, but I'm not really sure what the benefit would be of keeping this a secret. I would think it would be best to let developers know their platform options as soon as possible. I don't doubt the Switch will have GameMaker support eventually, it's just a bit disappointing it's taken almost a year.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
ETG is pretty fun. I got a little sick of indie rogue-lite games for a while because they're everywhere, but this is a good game. Good stuff.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
It would be an incredibly weird inside-baseball thing to keep support for a game engine secret. They announce games on their own terms, of course, but I'm not really sure what the benefit would be of keeping this a secret. I would think it would be best to let developers know their platform options as soon as possible. I don't doubt the Switch will have GameMaker support eventually, it's just a bit disappointing it's taken almost a year.

Yeah, I see what you mean. You're probably right.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I have a gaming Pc and refuse to play this among other indie games that i own, thats also ported to the switch. i decided ill rebuy em and play on a platform like the switch, which is more suitable for games like this.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Add +1 to those sales, just bought it a minute ago. Not much of a roguelike fan but it's $6 on the Russian eShop. Thanks Putin!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fun game, but damn hard. Also load times are pretty bad, hope they can improve them in a patch.

Otherwise well deserved.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike Isaac so much that I'll probably never even try this unless it goes on a ridiculous sale.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's awesome and although I haven't double dipped on Gungeon, I've certainly thought about getting the Switch version just because. I have a couple friends who buy everything they can on the platform, simply because it's so enjoyable to play on.
In regards to GameMaker, a couple friends and I are currently developing our very first game with the engine, and we've contacted Yoyo games because we're very interested in porting to the Switch. Unfortunately they didn't give us any solid information as to when it'll be possible. It would be a dream come true to release on the Switch though, the indie scene is thriving on it! It'd be so much better than releasing into the vast sea of Steam haha

Dec 14, 2017
I think that Nintendo's strategy of protecting the price of their first party games has benefits for indie games that appear on their platforms. Even with discovery problems common to digital storefronts, Switch owners are willing to pay market prices for games because they are used to paying full price for Nintendo games. $20 on a phone is 6 to infinity times more than anyone would spend, not to mention people waiting for Steam sales, but I think the broader Switch audience is comfortable buying downloaded games for $20 because Nintendo tries to protect the price of "Nintendo games" in general.
I just bought Civ 6 on iPad, but I agree with what you've said.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight, if it comes out lol, is gonna light up the charts. Game is a masterpiece and perfect for the Switch.

I'm all about Isaac right now, so no room for another rougelike.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
And rocket league was consistently over it in the charts. Along with a few other titles being up there. Gives a nice indication of where digital I'd at on the switch.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not begging for a port of it (if it doesn't come I'll just get it on PC eventually), but I feel like N++ would be a perfect fit for Switch.
I loved playing N+ on the DS so having the thousands of quick levels on the go would be amazing.

Last i heard around the launch of the switch the developers hadn't been able to get a devkit yet. But I really hope Nintendo changed their mind and gave them one.

More on-topic: this game kinda slipped under the radar for me back on the other consoles it was on so I might check it out for the Switch.
I've always wanted to get really into a good Rogue-lite, but I haven't found any I was able to dive into yet. Spelunky never quite clicked for me, Rogue Legacy was solid but I never stuck with it for more than a few runs, Tumbleseed I bought but don't love the gameplay (at least not yet), Wayward Souls on mobile was really good but I never got too far in it.

Last edited:

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Indies basically made out like bandits with the Switch. Just about anyone who took the plunge did well, and even Nintendo is finding their old franchises selling at rates they couldn't even believe possible. 2018 is gonna be a bloodbath of publishers playing catch up.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
No. I don't really know where to look for charting to be honest. I just thought that the name recognition would have at least given it a boost or something!
Well, I'm telling you then, it didn't.

The game is missing lots of fan favorite characters, it only spans characters from 3 or 4 games in the series and they also locked Tharja behind DLC, which is not coming until March (my avatar is an act of protest against that). It was a completely clusterfuck of a project.

I'm incredibly disappointed at how Nintendo let Tecmo Koei ruin such a dream collaboration, especially after all the feedback from Hyrule Warriors.

A well deserved bomba.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well, I'm telling you then, it didn't.

The game is missing lots of fan favorite characters, it only spans characters from 3 or 4 games in the series and they also locked Tharja behind DLC, which is not coming until March (my avatar is an act of protest against that). It was a completely clusterfuck of a project.

I'm incredibly disappointed at how Nintendo let Tecmo Koei ruin such a dream collaboration, especially after all the feedback from Hyrule Warriors.

A well deserved bomba.
Honestly I never played the game but I was definitely excited when it was first announced. But then after we got all the info I had no desire to play it. I didn't like some of the choices that the company made for this game. I'm sticking with Hyrule Warriors. I actually just want the LE contents right now lol.

I was wondering why you had a Tharja avatar! Now I know. Yeah that was a bizarre decision that only fueled my speculation about Tharja being a way to get money.

I'll probably buy the game later on but I honestly thought that even though I was not looking forward to the game anymore, others would still buy it in droves.

It's crazy though. Hopefully Nintendo notices or something.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the Advanced Gungeon and Dragun update, I already did one character's past and been playing so much, hope I won't finish all past before that releases.
Also need the patch since French localization is broken x)

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Indies basically made out like bandits with the Switch. Just about anyone who took the plunge did well, and even Nintendo is finding their old franchises selling at rates they couldn't even believe possible. 2018 is gonna be a bloodbath of publishers playing catch up.

Yup. And I'm still waiting for my Don't Starve Complete port...

Disappointed that Klei didn't get on the gravy train early given how Wii U was supported. I'd quad dipped Don't Starve on Swith without even thinking.

Strange there's still no word from them...

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I am amazed so many of these Indies that I never heard of (but released for some time on other systems already) have such big success on the Switch.

Maybe I just didn't notice, but when these games came out on the PS4 or Steam I never aware of them.

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I am amazed so many of these Indies that I never heard of (but released for some time on other systems already) have such big success on the Switch.

Maybe I just didn't notice, but when these games came out on the PS4 or Steam I never aware of them.
Psn store has been a slow hard to explore shit show for years. A lot of stuff is easy to miss

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I have seen many of these announcements lately.

It is good news and I hope it makes more indie game come to the system. I want Bastion and Transistor.