• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...talks_by_agency_scientists_at_conference.html

Now you might say, barring just 3 scientists from attending a local conference about the health of Narraganset Bay at Rhode Island is small beans. But these 3 scientists were going to be there to talk about climate change, and if the EPA is willing to tape the mouths of their own employees over one regional conference, what does this bode for future science outreach on the national level?

Times like these remind me of Alpha Centauri's cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY57ErBkFFE

Transcribed:

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he deems himself your master.

-- Comissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

SnakeEyes

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lives outside the US, and is obviously looking inward on this current administration and all the bullshittery that is going along with it, I hope to god there's big changes in 2018...

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
We should not expect much from EPA under the Trump administration.
I am more concern about how long until NOAA and NASA will be affected.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taki, are you damn me, that is probably my favorite quote in that masterpiece of a game!

Man, this century will see some dark times to humans all over the globe, no matter what. And shit like this won't help.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taki, are you damn me, that is probably my favorite quote in that masterpiece of a game!

Man, this century will see some dark times to humans all over the globe, no matter what. And shit like this won't help.

That entire game is full of timeless quotes.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, indeed. We need a RTTP/LTTP or some other memorial thread dedicated to it.

And the game's themes are very timeless and appropriate for current times.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who lives outside the US, and is obviously looking inward on this current administration and all the bullshittery that is going along with it, I hope to god there's big changes in 2018...
Same. Climate change is a huge challenge to our species and we need America to not stick its head in the sand.

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Sessions and Betsy DeVos are popular responses to the question of who is the worst member of Trump's cabinet, but I think that dishonor belongs to Scott Pruitt. His actions will have major consequences for the entire planet.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The well known "head in the sand" technique. Worked well for the ostrich so far, I don't see why Homo Sapiens couldn't make it work.
Before someone complains, I known ostriches aren't really burying their heads, that's a common misunderstanding. But it makes for a nice joke

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Our society in a nutshell, really - denial, denial, denial. If the reality would threaten profits, just stop people from talking about it.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not from the US but is there absolutely nothing that can be done to remove Pruitt from his position? Blatantly sabotaging the organisation you work for would be illegal in most other places. I'm just amazed that he can get away with killing his own agency.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Censorship like this is first-world country unworthy. Let alone in science. Science prospers when as much information as possible can reach open minds.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just completely disgusting. Unethical, this government is honestly a threat to the US.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not from the US but is there absolutely nothing that can be done to remove Pruitt from his position? Blatantly sabotaging the organisation you work for would be illegal in most other places. I'm just amazed that he can get away with killing his own agency.
Nothing but make Trump hate him enough to fire him or wait for him to resign/retire, otherwise we have to wait until a Democrat is in the White House. Maybe there's a weakness regarding money in politics that could push him out, ala HHS's Tom Price, but it would have to be huge and coincide with dissatisfaction with his work, which seems unlikely with this administration, given that he can't really "screw up" anything like Price did with the Obamacare Repeal. For the most Republicans today, actions like this aren't a bug, but a feature.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the president can unilaterally ruin any organization they like, just by appointing someone, without changing any laws? Seems like a huuuge fucking oversight... Why can a president appoint whomever to any government agencies? If the top people at each of these orgs have full control then you can essentially circumvent any legislation? How does this work?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the president can unilaterally ruin any organization they like, just by appointing someone, without changing any laws? Seems like a huuuge fucking oversight... Why can a president appoint whomever to any government agencies? If the top people at each of these orgs have full control then you can essentially circumvent any legislation? How does this work?
Yes, the president can appoint anyone he wants in these cabinet positions, as long as they get approved by the Senate. Unfortunately nothing Pruitt is doing is illegal, we don't have laws saying that the EPA has to discuss climate change, because no one in their right mind would think that a government official would be this stupid and go against everything their employees study and stand for. This kind of stuff blatantly goes against the spirit of the laws that govern the EPA's mission, but doesn't actually violate them. at least given our current understanding of the situation. See the gutting of the Wisconsin DNR since 2010 for an example of what may happen to the EPA in the next four years; cut funds, more limited research, mass employee exodus, reduced regulatory power/standards, etc. It's also worthwhile remembering that Pruitt knows that everything he's doing goes against the EPA's mission and that his employees by and large hate him, it's why he's the first EPA admin to have a full time bodyguard and has spent lots on other security measures
http://nypost.com/2017/10/23/scott-pruitt-gets-more-security-than-any-epa-head-ever/
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/2...nmental-protection-agency-secure-phone-booth/

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Sessions and Betsy DeVos are popular responses to the question of who is the worst member of Trump's cabinet, but I think that dishonor belongs to Scott Pruitt. His actions will have major consequences for the entire planet.
Pruitt is not the worst member of the Trump cabinet for the simple reason that he litterally isn't a member of it. The Administrator of the EPA is "merely" a cabinet level position, and thus not part of the presidental line of succession or other cabinet-only responsibilities.

Last edited:

faerith

Oct 25, 2017
I read the first half of OP and thought: Oh, that quote from Alpha Centauri is going to be a great fit...
and then I saw the second half. It's somehow creepy&sad how something from 18? years ago can became relevant so fast.
I wonder though how the NASA will fair in the future. =(

Anyway, it's still mindboggling insane: We don't have Earth II, if our ecosystem collapses we are in for a world of trouble (well, probably everyone besides the 1% and associates I guess... -_- ). Après moi le déluge!

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
img_6876sispu.gif