• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
www.theverge.com

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney says the PS5 is so impressive it’s ‘going to help drive future PCs’

Epic and Sony have been working closely together, and Sweeney is impressed.
Epic CEO Tim Sweeney says next-generation gaming consoles, in particular Sony's PlayStation 5, will bring about changes in game development that go far beyond a jump in graphics quality. During a press briefing for the company's newly announced Unreal Engine 5, which is optimized to work with next-gen consoles, Sweeney says the PS5 is a "remarkably balanced device."

"It has an immense amount of GPU power, but also multi-order bandwidth increase in storage management. That's going to be absolutely critical," he says. "It's one thing to render everything that can fit in memory," he adds, but a much more impressive feat to render a world that "might be tens of gigabytes in size" almost instantaneously, as Sony's new console and its M.2 solid-state drive are promising.

The new drive, which Sony claims is faster than any on-market device available right now, won't just make load times almost nonexistent, but will also enable developers to access the data their games are composed of with unprecedented speed. The result is larger game worlds loading much faster than ever before, which could result in drastic changes to how developers approach everything from balancing visual quality and performance to level design.

Sweeney isn't saying that you can't get a comparable M.2 drive for your PC, even now if you want to shell out for it. Rather, he's saying the custom drive Sony created and the way it interacts with the overall PS5 data management system makes it faster and more impressive from a development standpoint that anything a consumer could readily buy today, especially considering PC developers aren't yet building games that take advantage of such speeds. That may change in the future when both new consoles arrive and, as Sweeney predicts, inspire significant upgrades to PC component design and PC-specific game development.
As for Microsoft's Xbox Series X, Sweeney isn't saying the new Xbox won't be able to achieve something similar; both are using custom SSDs that promise blazing speeds. But he says Epic's strong relationship with Sony means the company is working more closely with the PlayStation creator than it does with Microsoft on this specific area.

More in the article above.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
91C91xQFPyL.jpg

The launch can't come soon enough!

Let's hope 3rd parties take the time to benefit from the PS5 architecture (doubtful, but hope springs eternal!).

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Next gen consoles will blow everyone's mind. People are really underestimating the hardware power and real time rendering improvements.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Could this not have been in Unreal Engine 5 thread? Do we need one thread for each of his takes?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
While im definitely happy devs are happy about the consoles, we hear this noise every single start of a gen. Its better to compare the new consoles with old consoles not pc.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
5.5GB/s ... not so overkill afterall?

Seems storage throughput will be a key improvement for pushing visual fidelity.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
We hear this every single generation

It's because it's always been a leapfrog situation. New consoles come out with custom parts that push the medium forward. Then PCs finally get the consumer models of those parts and out-perform the consoles for the remainder of their lifespan.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Billionaire CEO praising hardware of a company his own company has close ties with including marketing deals.

Im shocked.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
God, this marketing cycle....... once we get the final reveal........................................................ everyone's going to explode.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
one year later consoles will be obsolete again. Its how fast technology moves in this medium, but its great to hear that finally consoles will be up to par with high end PC's for some time and even better from the sound of sweeneys voice.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what that last part is about. If that close collaboration is substantial then it might mean a lot for (multiplatform) games running on UE5 on the PS5/PC's with a faster SSD.
I think it's mostly marketing speak though and I don't expect any significant upgrades compared to the XSX versions of games.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
After building my new PC last year, I definitely felt like I should have spent extra on getting a nice, speedy NVME SSD in my new-build rather than going down the mSATA route - I suppose I've got that as an upgrade option down the line.

Having said that, for OS stuff and the games I have installed on there it's still lightning quick compared to my consoles and old PC. With any luck the new consoles will hopefully move things onward from the "7200RPM HDDs are fine for most games" status quo we've been in for a long time now.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully. The next gen is overdue tbh. As a PC gamer you should always look forward to the next consoles.