• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Playing Fortnite with pad against KB/M players is piss easy. Aim assist is generous and the game's dumbass bloom system is out to get everyone

That's balancing, look it up

Mar 10, 2018
Will mobile not surpass it?

I dunno about mobile. But PS4 has crossplay with mobile phones.

PC Player base most likely is much larger than PS4, and if the mobile version takes off it will dwarf both those platforms.

Sony are not as formidable as you think they are.

But PS4 has crossplay with PC and mobile phones. I meant per single plaftorm. So, Fortnite won't pressure Sony in any single way.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not defending it because I'm not the leading console manufacturer. I do understand it though.

I guess tell me why the leading console would want this? Whether it were Sonys or Microsofts or anyone elses.

Again though it'd still be nice if it was the standard. I dont think it will be, but it'd be nice.
Tim Sweeney says in the article
"Whatever the history, it's really in gamers' interest to play with all of their friends. Gamers who play with their friends spend more and are more engaged."

and its not a stretch to agree with him. The more of your friends you can play with, the more you will play the game and the more money you may spend.

Oct 25, 2017
Their PC outreach has been there, but show me one quote where Sony said they'd like to cross play with other consoles. Even I didn't realize until it was pointed out that it likely doesn't exist.

I've asked this in a few cross-play threads and no matter how long the threads go on for, I have yet to get a reply.

It really is starting to seem like the "Sony wanted cross-play with Xbox last gen" talking point is a load of bollocks.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'd say it only benefits MS because Sony player pools don't have that problem.
But in the case of Fortnite I don't see player pools as a problem, either.

Let's not forget you need to complete certain steps to crossplay with other players, either.

And the PS4 is Sony´s Console and I don't see it as weird for them to be able to do what they want with it.

But of course! I just see it as a strange thing to limit developers like this, and I want said devs like Epic to have more control over various aspects of their software and to increase the overall resources they have on platforms.

This is one of the reasons why I believe crossplay is important to have, and I'll continue to make noise for it.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not hard at all to understand why Sony as a business wouldn't want this. You don't spend years building up an advantage and then just give it away at its highest point. Maybe when it's the start of a new gen and it's more equal footing we'll see some change, but when you have double the mindshare, any business would be a fool to just destroy that advantage.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it only benefits MS because Sony player pools don't have that problem.

Nobody is struggling to find games of Fortnite no matter what platform they're playing it on. People in Australia or the Middle East that want to play fighting games or niche titles could do with all the help they can get even if they're on PS4.

Repeat after me:

This. Is. Good. For. Everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine any market leader agreeing to this, which is why we need a regulator/regulation. The current system is pretty outdated and surely we have the means for cross-play. It's in everyone's best interest except the one raking in the money.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft were dicks about it last gen, Sony are dicks about this gen and we'll get a new bunch of corporate dicks from whoever is the leader of next gen. That's how these things actually go.

The Problem right now is that Sony won't play with other platforms, the only way to fix the problem is to get Sony to stop being dicks. Microsoft has nothing to do with the current problem.

Even looking at lists like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play
- Although Sony products are listed a lot, most of them are only compatible with their own other platforms, There's shit like Dreii that is listed twice once for Steam/Mac/Linux/WiiU and again for PS (Vita + PS consoles).
- There's a ton of titles that are PC/XBO/Switch but zero PS4 + another console manufacturer.
- Sony needs to actually take action to be "for the Gamers" instead of actively standing against them.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But PS4 has crossplay with PC and mobile phones. I meant per single plaftorm. So, Fortnite won't pressure Sony in any single way.
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding but if we are talking per single platform, PC and Mobile are the biggest single platforms... Crossplay or not, Sony don't have the upper hand here in regards to player base: They are not the biggest inside and out of Fortnite.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony are in a position of power and MS would do exactly the same if they were.

So you made the "wrong" call, bought an XBOX, but all of your friends got PS4s?

You want to play with them?

Easy, buy a PS4.

Sony are in the business of selling PS4s. That´s it.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm in the minority but personally I'm against cross platform play. I don't think it's fair for someone playing on a controller to go against someone on mouse and keyboard.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've asked this in a few cross-play threads and no matter how long the threads go on for, I have yet to get a reply.

It really is starting to seem like the "Sony wanted cross-play with Xbox last gen" talking point is a load of bollocks.

even if it's not who cares? the fact that MS used to be backwards too doesn't negate Sony being backwards now. MS's backwards ass bullshit ended up biting them in the ass with the launch of the Xbox One so much so that they had to radically change their tune. isn't that the desired outcome?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

This! There are none! It seems to be an imaginary bulletpoint for the defenders. I keep saying it and saying it and saying it.. 360, PS2, and PC had crossplay with FF11. They wanted seperates servers for 360 for FF14 when SQUARE inquired. Most likely due to the Sony breach. Who knows. This whole thing about Sony specifically asking seems to be false. I'm waiting to be corrected as well.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim Sweeney says in the article

and its not a stretch to agree with him. The more of your friends you can play with, the more you will play the game and the more money you may spend.
I'm willing to bet Sony is fine with losing a little bit of extra Fortnite revenue instead of greatly helping their biggest competitor console.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It's not hard at all to understand why Sony as a business wouldn't want this. You don't spend years building up an advantage and then just give it away at its highest point. Maybe when it's the start of a new gen and it's more equal footing we'll see some change, but when you have double the mindshare, any business would be a fool to just destroy that advantage.

Now tell me what do you want a gamer? I don't see what the start of the new generation changes when it comes to Sony allowing crossplay. The same reasons that most people give for defending Sony on not allowing crossplay are economical, so the same will apply when the PS5 launches.

Nov 1, 2017
The Problem right now is that Sony won't play with other platforms, the only way to fix the problem is to get Sony to stop being dicks. Microsoft has nothing to do with the current problem.

Even looking at lists like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play
- Although Sony products are listed a lot, most of them are only compatible with their own other platforms, There's shit like Dreii that is listed twice once for Steam/Mac/Linux/WiiU and again for PS (Via consoles.
- There's a ton of titles that are PC/XBO/Switch but zero PS4 + another console manufacturer.
- Sony needs to actually take action to be "for the Gamers" instead of actively standing against them.
I guarantee that if the next Xbox system is a huge seller and becomes the console market leader then Microsoft will have collective amnesia about their current push for crossplay.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Sony are in a position of power and MS would do exactly the same if they were.

So you made the "wrong" call, bought an XBOX, but all of your friends got PS4s?

You want to play with them?

Easy, buy a PS4.

Sony are in the business of selling PS4s. That´s it.
Let's say MS is top dog next gen and they now go against crossplay. Wouldn't the PR backlash be worse since because they are going against what they were preciously for?

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so many armchair CEO's already its like we're in a cliche 90's stockbroker film with the amount of "its just business" being thrown around.

I'm willing to bet Sony is fine with losing a little bit of extra Fortnite revenue instead of greatly helping their biggest competitor console.
and how are they greatly helping Microsoft here? Microsoft already have crossplay with PC and Mobile already, even if the xbox playerbase was small (it isnt), there are other platforms that can pick up the slack if it was ever needed (it wont be).

This is more than just player bases people, its about bringing players and platforms together and ending territory war bullshit.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tennis-ball-984611_960_720.jpg
I know those references.gif

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now tell me what do you want a gamer? I don't see what the start of the new generation changes when it comes to Sony allowing crossplay. The same reasons that most people give for defending Sony on not allowing crossplay are economical, so the same will apply when the PS5 launches.
As a gamer, I personally couldn't care less. All my online multiplayer friends went PlayStation for online when it was free compared to Xbox live, and have stuck to playing on PlayStation for online games. I understand why others would, and being an adult I understand why a business like Sony of whoever is on top wouldn't.
Just like I wish online multiplayer was free again but with billions being made from it, I understand why it's not.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

What lost revenue? How greatly will they help their 'competitor' by allowing crossplay? Are iOS/Android/PC/Mac/Linux users not using competing storefronts to play the same game?

I guarantee that if the next Xbox system is a huge seller and becomes the console market leader then Microsoft will have collective amnesia about their current push for crossplay.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is probably true

it also has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Epic and Fortnite players should pressure Sony, so I don't see why it's such a talking point in this thread outside of Console War shit

Mar 10, 2018
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding but if we are talking per single platform, PC and Mobile are the biggest single platforms... Crossplay or not, Sony don't have the upper hand here in regards to player base: They are not the biggest inside and out of Fortnite.

Yes, you're right! But anyway, Fortnite alone is big enough PS4, won't pressure Sony in any single way no matter how MS wanted it because Xbone is the smallest plarform of the bunch.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What MS may or may not do in some hypothetical future where they are the number one platform is pretty irrelevant and not worth discussing.

Nov 1, 2017
this is probably true

it also has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Epic and Fortnite players should pressure Sony, so I don't see why it's such a talking point in this thread outside of Console War shit
Those players should pressure Sony because Sony's stance is BS, like every stance taken against crossplay. But Sony just can't outright say "We want to put the screws to our competitor" in public so they just make some stuff up or say nothing at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority but personally I'm against cross platform play. I don't think it's fair for someone playing on a controller to go against someone on mouse and keyboard.
That's true. It'll split the player base and players not happy going against PC players will be left with a smaller pool of players, but I imagine this is more to do with console cross-play.

GodofWine

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My son's friends are starting to play this (1st grade), and being a 'PC', its really nice he can play with anyone.

I think it would be nice if, AT LEAST, xbox and ps4 could play together if they were bridged by a PC user, or a mobile user., at least let them in the same party, if not directly linked to each other.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like some of you are dogging MS for doing something they haven't done in the future but are okay with Sony actually doing it now. Lol.

I don´t think anyone is OK with it or "defending" Sony.

I want crossplay just as much as the next guy.

But I also understand why Sony does not want it and why it is most likely not happening.

Sony gets nothing out of it - NOTHING.

They would be giving their huge playerbase away for free to their biggest competitor. Why would they do that?

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

But I also understand why Sony does not want it and why it is most likely not happening.

They would be giving theire huge playerbase away for free to their biggest competitor. Why would they do that?

They aren't giving anything away. Is Apple scared to let iOS games crossplay with Android? Is Nintendo scared to let Switch games crossplay with Xbox? Is Microsoft scared of Switch? They all got bigger fish to fry than this.

Sony is the only one here with archaic thinking from over a decade ago.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
In 30yrs of gaming cross-play has never been a talking point, and it will never amount to more than rumblings on a few forums.

A platform holders job is to increase market share (and crudely), put its competitors out of business. As Sony's increased their marketshare they've invested more in 1st and 2nd party software, garnered more 3rd party deals, and improved the profitability of their platform as a whole.

All the above benefits those playing on Sony's platform. It will take a very good reason to change their outlook beyond the 'kumbaya, let's all be friends' mentality, with tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars are at stake. Epic want this to improve their bottom line, not because they are suddenly the gamers friend.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Xbox one players with Gold can't play Fortnite with their friends on Xbox One that don't have gold. Same yard, same console, but you can't play on-line with your friends on the same console, Karl. I think this is a much serious problem than cross-play with your competitor. Strange that Epic doesn't see a problem in this.

Last edited:

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They would be giving their huge playerbase away for free to their biggest competitor. Why would they do that?

Sony would get to look like not a fucking shithole company that allows players to play with one another instead of forcibly segregating them into bullshit tribes.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't giving anything away. Is Apple scared to let iOS games crossplay with Android? Is Nintendo scared to let Switch games crossplay with Xbox? Is Microsoft scared of Switch? They all got bigger fish to fry than this.

Sony is the only one here with archaic thinking from over a decade ago.

Apples and oranges really.

Sony would get to look like not a fucking shithole company that allows players to play with one another instead of forcibly segregating them into bullshit tribes.

They don´t. The general public cares way less than you´d think.

You should also probably calm down a bit.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic are claiming that players who are allowed to play with their friends across platforms will spend more money.

How greatly will they help their 'competitor' by allowing crossplay?
Sony allowing crossplay with Xbox would absolutely help the Xbox brand. Being the sales leader in the console space is a big deal, as once someone's friends own the PS4, it's very likely they're also going to buy the PS4. Imagine some kid at school who wants to get into Fortnite and wants to play it on a console with his friends right now. If his two friends are playing on PS4 you can be almost certain that kid is buying a PS4. The moment Sony allow crossplay they have just given up that hard earned advantage.

This is something Microsoft are all too aware of, as their leadership have publicly discussed this is why they were so eager to get a one year head start on Sony with the Xbox 360 in 2005. They knew that gaining the early lead would be huge for getting other gamers to buy the console their friends already have.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
In 30yrs of gaming cross-play has never been a talking point, and it will never amount to more than rumblings on a few forums.
As a mod stated in a previous crossplay thread, this is an ignorant way to view this issue. Devs and others have commented on this so this isn't some niche bullshit thing.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine some kid at school who wants to get into Fortnite and wants to play it on a console with his friends right now. If his two friends are playing on PS4 you can be almost certain that kid is buying a PS4. The moment Sony allow crossplay they have just given up that hard earned advantage.

If a kid wants to play Fortnite with the most players they should play on Mobile or PC, as both console entries have segregated communities thanks to one console manufacturers decisions.